Where will the series go from here?

Thane

Hello everyone.

With the American release of Fire Emblem Fates and the European one around the corner, I felt it was time to discuss the series' future.

Regardless of one's opinion of Fates, it's hard to deny that it was a very ambitious title with a lot of time and effort put into it, even if some areas were more lacking than others. It made me think, however, that it will be tough for the next installment to top this game in terms of scope; three different paths and stories with two sides having widely different aesthetics and classes, Will it feel like the series is regressing if Fire Emblem 15 doesn't have something similar or offer the same variety?

I also have a hard time seeing kids returning; while marriage and shipping is most likely here to stay due to its popularity, the inclusion of children this time around received a lukewarm reception, and compared Awakening, the children are according to their own polls far less popular as characters.

I'm not only wondering about gameplay elements though. Given the success of Fates, I wonder if Nintendo will want to move the series to a home console, or do you think they have found a formula that works for them and see no reason to change it?

I realize these are very scattered thoughts and an incredibly general question, but I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are, be they about gameplay or otherwise.

The series will likely stay on handheld, as Nintendo seems to think that's the only place FE sells after the Radiant flop. As for what FE 15 will be like, I can't really say. I'm okay with continuing the Pokemon style Fates brought if we keep getting 2 completely different games out of it, but who can really say at this stage what FE 15 will be like.

If the next game is still on 3DS, i expect it to try to be as aesthetically different from Fates as possible and for them to try to innovate in different ways, if it's on a different console, i could see them try to do something simpler.

Edited by OakTree

I think it's staying handheld for a while.

I recall them saying that a Wii U version would need to sell 1,000,000 copies to be profitable. There are only 10 million Wii U owners and I really doubt 10% of all Wii U owners are FE fans.

Part of what made Fates so popular was its console. The 3DS is an incredibly popular console and that helped people buy it.

What I'm wondering is if they'll do "versions" again.

I think its pretty much going to be handheld only aside from the spinoff titles, FE is far more profitable on handhelds and this is very evident aside from the breakout hit that was FE3. However if the NX is the dual beast of a console/handheld we've heard about, it may be sooner than we expect.

The success of Awakening and Fates do mean they can take a few more risks if they want, FE has a habit of trying new stuff (Fates tried mixing up the gameplay with very good success for instance even). The three routes appealing to different aspects of the fanbase was a pretty neat idea imo as well, (or just be like me and have all 3 appeal haha). As it shows IS does care for the various sides of the fanbase, be it newcomer, veteran, someone who just preferred a particular style of FE, and such.

The fan base however is likely to get worse, at least the people who miss the Kaga era of FE can be excited for his freeware game that plays like his games though. I mean I love the Kaga era styled of games alot, but I know the series has changed from his vision (although still using his base and expanding in their own ways).

Its a good time to be an FE fan regardless of era, preference. But with more fans comes a bit more idiocy to deal with in terms of extreme views on the series, veterans of the series and newcomers. Among other things.

Edited by Jedi

I'm not sure how they can improve the gameplay, they really took in all of my complaints about Awakening's gameplay

I have a feeling that if they want to make a game as large in scope as this one and keep the kids they might have a Geneology style game

I'm not sure how they can improve the gameplay, they really took in all of my complaints about Awakening's gameplay

I have a feeling that if they want to make a game as large in scope as this one and keep the kids they might have a Geneology style game

The gameplay is great but can still be improved, and most importantly, mixed up so it doesn't get old. Right now shuriken are a bit too overpowered, several maps too gimmicky or just not fun (waiting for slow-moving platforms which introduces arbitrary waiting is one of the few things I think everyone finds boring) etc. I'm not saying that to complain but to merely show that it's not all downhill from here.

I think it's staying handheld for a while.

I recall them saying that a Wii U version would need to sell 1,000,000 copies to be profitable. There are only 10 million Wii U owners and I really doubt 10% of all Wii U owners are FE fans.

Part of what made Fates so popular was its console. The 3DS is an incredibly popular console and that helped people buy it.

What I'm wondering is if they'll do "versions" again.

Ah, that's interesting, thank you for sharing!

As for the versions, that's what I'm wondering, too. While I don't think they will, I can't help but suspect that many people will find anything that brings less content than Fates will feel a bit cheated or like the series is taking a step backwards. Of course it all lies in the execution; quality before quantity and all that, but on paper it will sound worse to a lot of people.

I believe marriage, children, avatar creation and dual system are likely to be the standard of future FE games. Whenever I thought they'll stop a mechanic, they'll keep it up because it pleases newcomers and whatnot.

I think it will need one or two more 3DS games in order to proceed with the home console, be it NX or whatever next iteration/console will come.

As far as I know, Fates sold over 400K (physical and digital copies) in its first month and more than tripled Awakening's initial sales (117K ~), so Fates is expected to surpass FE13. FE is going on through good times, I expect they keep it up and improve flaws.

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/10/february-2016-npd/

I really hope that they will stop including mechanics from others games in futures games (kids and avatars).

I think they are here to stay much like how after FE4 the weapon triangle stuck ever since. Well barring Radiant Dawn Hard Mode.

Edited by Jedi

I think they are here to stay much like how after FE4 the weapon triangle stuck ever since. Well barring Radiant Dawn Hard Mode.

Umm, keep in mind that one feature is a gameplay mechanic while the other two are ''optionnal'' ( the avatar option could be remove, we can't skip the avatar menu but the kids are totaly optionnal).

Umm, keep in mind that one feature is a gameplay mechanic while the other two are ''optionnal'' ( the avatar option could be remove, we can't skip the avatar menu but the kids are totaly optionnal).

Well yeah, you're right. Its just the fact that the Avatar and Kids have been met mostly with great reception (despite lukewarm in Fates). I mean part of why people liked New Mystery (aside from the really good challenge of lunatic etc) was the fact that we finally had a Create a Character of sorts for FE. I don't think it'll be going away anytime soon.

Kids I could see going though, because you're right they are optional are quite shoehorned in currently.

I'm worried that since Fire Emblem is going mainstream they might try to push more stories that are "easy to understand and everyone can enjoy." There are many things in FE14 that I enjoy but the story is definitely is one of the more prominent weaker sides. However, if focusing on story meant that IS would focus less on gameplay then by all means, forget the story. I will take good gameplay over a good story any day.

The series will stay on handhelds for awhile. It's been doing very well on them and lately IS has just been sticking to what works. The inclusion of an Avatar will stay, there's no doubt in my mind about that. Kids on the other hand... I'm not too sure. One thing I don't want to see is character expies, it just seems lazy to me. I would imagine that IS will start trying harder with stories if they get enough people voicing their opinion on it. Gameplay wise, I hope that it goes in the Conquest direction I'm really enjoying that and most of the maps are well thought out.

I really want a FE spawning two generations. That way it'll make sense for children to be in the game and it's also something relatively new, if we ignore that FE4 also tried to do this (no Chapter 5 ending this time).

I also hope they take the map gimmicks away and focus on building challenging maps that can be beaten on many different ways, like Conquest's Chapter 10 and 13.

Edited by Rapier

Eventually there may be visual novels. On the mainstream games, we'll see more visual novel and player ego-boosting aspects added into the game.

On the gameplay side, we'll see more tweaked mechanics from SRW.

Edited by Sirius

It will likely stay on handheld systems, as its what has brought the most success. I can actually see them sticking with what Fates brought gameplay wise as it was very well recieved, and overall perfected a lot of things. Of course that doesn't mean not doing necessary changes, and improvements upon it. I can see more classes, maybe even new weapons, I think My Castle will be here to stay for at least the next 2-3 games with some massive improvements and changes. I do think the new reclass system, the new personal skills, and the new weapon triangle are going to stay, and I would be surprised if they went back to durability on weapons after the new changes. I personally hope most of what Fates brought to the table stays with some changes and balances made as seen fit.

I even hope My Castle and My Room stays with some improvements to them as My Castle gave more stuff to do once the game finished and inbetween chapters, and My Room has the potential to allow for more interaction with the characters we all love. Avatar will likely stay as well, but I think Children are done for right now as both US and Japan gave negative feedback towards their inclusion. I also think we can see a change in writers next time around. I won't be surprised here in a year or two to hear about IS laying off a few writers and hiring new ones since both Awakening and Fates didn't reach the bar that was set in regards to story telling.

I am unsure on split games as this seemed like a situational thing, but I really wouldn't mind it if they hired some new writers and tried at it again. It has potential to be another unique feature to Fire Emblem, and really revolutionize the split game idea, but we will see where they go with that. The art style is probably here to stay as its been generally well received, and Fire Emblem always went along with the current general art style of Anime/Manga at the time. I can see further building off of the general designs of armor/weapons since it overall looked pretty good.

One big change I can see has to do with the 3DS XL. I can see Fire Emblem receiving a massive graphic overhaul in 15 as the XL is capable of some really good graphics like it did with Xenoblade. I don't think they did this time around as Fire Emblem is still growing, and the XL just came out a year beforehand in the west, so not everyone had their hands on one, but in 2-3 years the XL is going to be a lot more common, so I can see Fire Emblem receiving a nice graphics overhaul because of it. Im not sure about the NX, but I highly doubt they are just going to up and drop the 3DS this year with some of the big titles releasing for it, but I can see if the NX is capable of both portable and console, then the next Fire Emblem may be on both 3ds XL and NX.

EDIT: Another thing I want to add is crossovers and other games. Fire Emblem really is hitting big, so I can see some crossovers and some new games for it. A Fire Emblem Warriors game is very likely at some point as it was even on a survey for most wanted Warriors crossover, with Final Fantasy being the only one to top Fire Emblem. I can see a Fire Emblem manga or anime series getting started up as its the best of Nintendo's products to translate into that. Crossover wise I can see some crossovers with things like Final Fantasy or something along those lines. A Fire Emblem vs Final Fantasy crossover actually doesnt sound that bad.

Edited by Tolvir

Nintendo and Intelligent Systems have found a large set of players with Awakening and Fates that they previously did not have, whether it was because of the removal of forced permadeath, the grinding + reclassing + skills, the Avatar, the return of the marriage system, the art style, new fans looking into the series because of amiibo or the increased presence of Fire Emblem characters in Super Smash Bros., or any or all combinations of those. In typical (common sensical) corporate fashion, they're going to do everything that they can to keep and grow that player base. And, given that the uptick in sales happened with Awakening, it's extremely clear to me that they going to look at what it and Fates have included and make sure that they continue to include them.

So, the Outrealm will continue to be a thing, DLC will continue to be a thing, the Avatar will continue to be a thing, marriage and progeny will continue to be a thing, reclassing will continue to be a thing, and so on and so forth. Will they tweak things to improve them? They should, considering it's foolish to think that something can't be improved. But will we see wildly fluctuating elements like the earlier days of the series? I honestly don't think we will. Nintendo and Intelligent Systems have found a formula that works better than what they used to have so it would make sense for them not to throw that out of the window. Maybe they'll experiment a bit here and there, but I think that they'd have major trepidation from going outside of the comfort zone that's been established for fear of alienating the new crowd and bringing the series back to the supposed dire straights of needing to reach a number of sales for the series to even continue. I highly doubt we'd see something as crazy as going from a "core" experience to a game with completely different mechanics back to a core game to a core game that completely changes things up to a core game that changes things again to a normal core game like what happened with FE1 - FE6.

The biggest issue right now, IMO, is that the fanbase is divided clean in two right now. After Awakening, they saw how older fans generally had problems with a lot of things, but it drew in a boat load of new fans, so they were conflicted on whether to return to their roots or appeal to the new masses. Their solution was to do both. I'd be willing to bet that the whole split-routes idea was invented out of need to solve this problem, not out of desire to fit the story or anything like that. They made two games: One to appeal to older fans, and one for newer ones.

My hope, and possibly even the hope of IS, is that this will help to close the gap between these two groups, with newer fans trying out Conquest and seeing how fun it can be and older fans realizing that easier isnt all bad. However, I doubt that this assimilation will occur that quickly, so that, to me, is the biggest question about the next game. Will they split it again? Will the paths be a bit more similar?

I feel as though they wouldnt want a complete split again, lest it become the new norm. That would be way too much work to do every thime they wanted to put out a new installment. I feel as though they could just add settings to choose between Birthright-esque or Conquest-esque gameplay. I'm sure the gap would eventually close, and a balance will be found, but I predict the fanbase will be divided for at least one more game. The biggest thing is really for them to work towards that balance between the complex gameplay and the accessible gameplay, the old features and the new features.

Okay, now that I'm at a computer...

I feel that the series will continue to grow, but I think that some things my change down the line. The split-story/multi-packaged games, for instance, I think will probably not return. Based on how the Japanese market seems to have reacted to it (the vast majority did not like it), they may not want to split anything into three separate games anymore. I think they'll definitely want to give the same kind of quality content, but they'll find a different way to do it.

The second generation/children characters are another thing I think might be dropped for the next few games. They weren't received particularly well by anyone, with lukewarm reception at best. I think marriage will remain a thing, but I think it'll be in the character epilogues like in the older games.

The avatar system will remain, however there seems to be a growing number of people who are either neutral to it or don't like it, so there may be a chance that they may drop it for a few games somewhere down the line.

I think a lot of the gameplay will be kept, people seem to really like the gameplay of the Fates games. However, there are a decent amount of people upset about the lack of weapon durability. I think they'll try to find a happy balance.

I think they'll try to mix the styles of the older games and the newer ones, give maps similar to Awakening/Birthright, but more objectives and such like Conquest and the older games.

I think they'll continue to try to improve the story, that was something they made a fairly big deal about when advertising Fates. I don't think they'll sideline this aspect. Same for characters, everyone seems to like the majority of the cast in Fates, I think they'll continue to look at what people do and don't like and go from there. However, I also feel like they'll tone down the fanservice, the amount of people who don't like it seems to be growing.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

I think...

1: Fire Emblem will likely stay on handhelds for the time being. The 3DS is fairly popular, at least more so than the Wii U, but who knows that the Nintendo NX has in store. I would like to see a console FE again because I loved Radiant Dawn's presentation and music, but I suppose it makes more sense from a financial standpoint to continue making it on handheld where it already holds a market.

2: DLC will likely return for future installments. I'm sure that the "EXP DLC, Weapons DLC, and Gold DLC" will become standard, with each game putting its own spin on the formula. I would also hazard a guess that there will be "Special CG" maps as well.

3: My Castle functionality will likely return. I see this feature being the evolution of Base Conversations back from Fire Emblem 9 and 10 and the Barracks functionality from Awakening. Personally, I would like to see more personalized Base Conversations again, so hopefully they can implement this feature alongside the generic dialogues.

4: I see Avatar character sticking around. However, I would like to have game where the Avatar unit, while amazing, is not the main focus of the story. For example, I think of Xenoblade Chronicles X's player avatar, while he/she is "the awesome Rookie", the main story actually revolves around Elma (and Lin, and Tatsu). The player just plays as a bad*** character that just happens to tag along with the important people.

5: I see the "S" Rank support system returning, but I hope that instead of just plain up marriage that "S" Ranks just mean a paired, personalized ending. For example, the Sacred Stones endings. Amelia and Duessel had Duessel reunites Amelia with her mother. L’Arachel and Dozla with Dozla crying like a baby when L'Arachel was finally wed. Garcia and Ross was a a father and son ending, etc. Of course, there is nothing wrong with marriage endings (Sacred Stones also had plenty of marriages), but I hope they become more personalized. Also, add in supports that make sense and don't be binary that "this wouldn't be balanced!" I'm tired of some pairings not being able to getting their supports in unless it is deliberately designed (Scarlet & Ryoma, Flora and Jakob, and so on). There can be supports that do not have an "S" rank and they only go up to A, or the "S" support is not necessarily a "happily ever after" ending.

6: I am unsure if children will return, and I hope they do not unless there is a justifiable reason for them to return. While I enjoyed them for what they were, there can be far more variety in character designs. In addition, as of late, the FE games need a little more world building instead of character building, and having a child character trying to build up the character of the parent gets old rather quickly. New recruitable characters can add in more information about the world instead of kids that are shoved away in another dimension.

6a: Slightly off topic, but when was the last time we had a Pegasus Knight Trio Attack? Was that in 10? I remember it being a thing, but I never really used it...

7: I think the new weapon system (Updated Triangle and addition of Daggers) may stick around and get its own evolution. I have a feeling that Fate's weapon system will become the new norm, unless they end up hybridizing durability with different weapon effects. I really hope they change Silver weapon's functionality, mostly because I'm more of an Enemy Phase player instead of setting up killzones for the Player Phase. Alternatively, upgrade the Forge to also allow for "weapon skins", so if I want my "Iron Lance" to look like a "Silver Lance" and vice versa, let me do so!

8: The fanbase will need to sort itself out between the old players and the influx of the new generation. I started off with the Sacred Stones and played every game released stateside since (including Blazing Sword), but in the words of Honest Game Trailers, I saw Fire Emblem transition from a "balls hard tactical game to a balls hard tactical game wrapped in an anime visual novel." I don't mind fanservice, and I get a kick out of the nonsense every now and then, but I am worried about how far they will go. The "My Room" models were nice and the dialogue added a little more to their character, but I could live without the petting and cooling them off. I'll take the swimsuits over that, there are some armor designs that are somehow more revealing and suggestive than a simple swimsuit.

I guess I suggest simply tread with caution. Swimsuits seems to be the easy way for fanservice, and that I can deal with. Having virtual characters proclaim their love to you and make suggestive remarks is when I start slowly backing away from my 3DS, saying "What did I get myself into?" That said, my daughter Kana is too adorable. I thought female Morgan was adorable, but Kana is another beast entirely. Please send help.

Overall, I think Fire Emblem has a good future ahead of itself. They still have the gameplay mechanics down, as demonstrated in Conquest, and they still have memorable characters (Arthur, Benny, Felicia, F!Kana, the trio, too many list...) I would like to see them improve on story some more and maybe tone down the fanservice a little bit, but otherwise, I'm still fairly happy with the series as a "veteran" player.