Character poll: Which is worse, Hans, Iago, or Garon?

Marth_of_Altea

Which is worse: Hans, Iago, or Garon?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Worse than any of these 3 choices?

• Hans
    • Iago
    • Garon

Hello everyone:

So after playing through Birthright and almost all of Conquest, the characters that I hate the most are Hans, Iago, and Garon. But as sort of a good question for the community, which do you think is worse? Answer in the poll above, if you wish. If you have any questions, let me know in the comments.

Reasons why I hate these characters:

-Hans is out for mass bloodshed and a massacre worthy of Satan himself

-Iago is out to kill the main character, and overall makes me want to break my DS whenever he's on-screen

-Garon is just evil. Simple as that.

Thanks in advance for answering this question.

-Marth

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iago has powers as the plot demands, and that really rankles me. Who does he think he is? Loki? Please. Plus, he seems to exist just to piss me off. Shame, too, cuz i dig on his design. A good portion of Conquest's plot can be boiled down to "Why the hell havent we eviscerated Iago yet?"

Garon's... actually rather tragic

I haven't played Rev to confirm for myself but I've heard that Garon tried to take Hydra on without the Fire Emblem and that's how he died and was enslaved? Arete became water to warn him about it--and I remember Marx saying that Garon wasn't even a bad guy prior to this whole goo stuff--a powerful man who liked showing his power, but wasn't the type of guy to just conquer nations for shits and giggles.

I hate the goo behind Gooran, but the actual Garon before he died didn't seem too bad a guy.

Out of Iago and Hans, Iago comes off more as an annoying sycophant, and Hans comes off really bloodthirsty. For his face in Conquest 13 and what he did to Scarlet, I'm gonna vote Hans.

Worse in what sense?

The most evil is Garon, the most hateful is Hans, but the least interesting is Iago. His backstory is literally "he's evil and likes to torment the avatar". He could have had a cool story to go with his crazy design, but no, generic evil wizard.

Haven't played Revelation so these observations are based on the other paths.

Iago.

I mean, Garon is basically a non-character (but at least has some backstory) and Hans' only real goal is to show off his murder-boner every chance he gets. Neither are good characters in a critical sense, and they're both really bad people in-universe. But Iago? Iago literally monologues to himself about how much he'll make Corrin suffer, mwahahahaha! He is as much of a cartoon villain as can possibly be, outside of having a sinister mustache to twirl as he talks out loud about his plans to no one. He's just too ridiculous.

Garon, because if he weren't such a cartoon villain, nearly all the problems with Conquest's plot would have been fixed.

Iago and Hans are dicks, but they're side characters and not nearly as catastrophic on the story.

Iago's powers make no sense! He is capable of doing really cool things, but only when he needs to! What the fuck. That's MINUS NINE-THOUSAND points right there. Plus, I get secondhand embarrassment whenever I watch a scene where he is begging for his life.

All of them suck hairy, sweaty balls. There is no competition between them.

If I were to choose one, though, it would be Iago. As someone put it, he's like Team Rocket; always showing up at the wrong time and pissing me off. Garon is essentially irrelevant and Hans... At least I can laugh at him when he gets bodied in Chapter 3 (I think) by some samurai.

"That ought to be enough damage!" But you didn't do anything tho LMAO

You didn't specify which metric they would be "the worst" by but Garon because even just six chapters into Conquest I can already tell that he is the single dumbest major villain that I've encountered yet in the series. Like, in terms of intelligence level. He seems to be caught in a loops of "I hate Corrin I wish they'd just die so I'll send them off on a mission and hope they die during it, oh dammit they survived, well, I guess I'll forgive them, god I hate them so much I'm gonna talk about killing that little brat clearly within earshot of one or more of their siblings hey I know I'll send them off on a mission and hope they die during it"

The limits of Iago's power are completely dependent on what the plot demands of it, Hans is a generic prologue/chapter 1 Bandit leader with plot amour and Garon is both a monument to wasted potential and ruins the characterisation of the Nohrian siblings in story. As far as I'm concerned, they're all equally bad, but Garon gets the vote by virtue of dragging other characters down with him.

I dislike Iago for different reasons in addition to the obvious ones. In my mind, probably due to his design, Iago could have been more of a Loghain type of character, someone doing horrible things out of love for their country and a desire to protect it, no matter how misguided and damaging it may be. The other villians get my goat, but I see Iago as a whole bunch of wasted potential. Garon as well, but that has been talked about to death. *takes a drink*

Edited by Seifus

Iago just does whatever, whenever, wherever because he can, he breaks the game's rules in his Conquest boss fight, and he just exists to further the plot.

The biggest reason being breaking the game's rules in his boss fight.

Edited by Kaika

Garon's a boring cartoon villain, but the way his children regard him and how it colours their decisions is interesting, and certainly puts him above past Generic Evil Kings like Hardin and Ashnard in my eyes. (Zephiel at least has an interesting backstory.)

Iago's a terrible character, but I like his voice acting. He hits the right level of slime for me.

Hans is an uninteresting thug who somehow survives to the end of the game. Would have been much more satisfying as a midgame boss like Jarod but Fates doesn't really do those. He gets my vote.

Hans' only real goal is to show off his murder-boner every chance he gets.

I'm pretty sure this actually makes him one of the best characters.

I'm also pretty disappointed that there isn't as much Hans x Crimson fanart as there maybe should be.

Edited by Ginkgo

Hmm, I suppose that I would give Iago the title of "King Shit" out of the three.

I don't think that Hans is quite as bad as Iago, and Garon is kind of being manipulated and out of his mind, so I will cut him some slack.

Edited by Camilla