Characters that you found yourself liking? (Some spoilers)

Abysswalker25

Speaking of surprises: is it just me, or is Laswlow often portrayed as a well-written Inigo? I never liked him much in Awakening, and I'm still not sure I necessarily want him in thi game, but he's got some good supports here - I feel like I like Odin less than Owain though. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

I'm excluding the DLC from this assessment.

I definitely like Laz a lot this time around and was just okay on Inigo as well.

And while Ryoma's design had "pandering to Lumi who will completely eat it up" written on it I did not expect something that surpassed the level of Seth thirst I had 5 years ago, if some of you are around long enough to remember that.

At least now I'm older and less of a dumbass about it, but I thought I was over that shit, evidently not.

Charlotte's someone I was apprehensive about pre-release mainly because of her personal skill--I'm excited about her inclusion because female berserker fuck yeah, but at the same time the JP name for her personal had some "women who hates other women" vibes and I wasn't about that--but her actual character vastly surpassed my expectations and I love her now. If only her bases were better, alas. I'll give her a run if I do Conquest again though. Couldn't pull it off in Lunatic blind--too much resources for my poor first-time management, but now that I know what i'm getting into I think I can pull it off.

I really didn't want to like any of the kids because I hated the way they're included but god I love Shiro rip my principles

Speaking of surprises: is it just me, or is Laswlow often portrayed as a well-written Inigo? I never liked him much in Awakening, and I'm still not sure I necessarily want him in thi game, but he's got some good supports here - I feel like I like Odin less than Owain though. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

I like Odin a lot more than Owain. I just prefer the Black Magic/Eldritch Sorcery gimmick a lot more than the hotblooded Anime swordsman gimmick.

I agree with you with regards to Laslow. Inigo was one of my least favorite Awakening kids, but Laslow is fine.

I really like Selena's interactions with Caeldori. Just a whole array of emotions all at once coming from her dialogue.

Elise. I thought that she had a really cute design, but I never expected to adore her character like I do.

I'd say she's easily one of the most likable Fates characters in general.

Selkie was also a pleasant surprise.

Strange, many times I've been thinking the opposites. I know I give this game a hard time, but I consider some supports in Fates to be better than the best ones in Awakening. However, I often feel like the family supports are essentially "by the way, child, as your father/mother, you should X, and I will always be there for you because I'm your father/mother".

I feel the same way, though disclaimer that I haven't read too many yet since I've only read the ones I've gotten in-game rather than seeking more out here on Serenes. So there could certainly be some good ones I'm missing.

I also felt the father/child interactions in recruitment chapters had far too much "waaah you left me in the Deeprealms you jerk". Which... well, is true (Fates parents, you are bad at this; please just wait for the war to be over before raising your kids thx), but it gets a bit repetitive.

If I'm just counting characters I didn't think I'd like but ended up really liking, I'd have to say Hayato. Before the game came out, he was probably my least favourite Hoshidan, but now he's my special awful baby. It helped that as an Oni Chieftan with Horse Spirit he had around 30 defence, so he ended up soloing half of Birthright for me.

Another one who I did a complete 180 on when I actually recruited her would be Mitama. I thought her whole haiku thing was kind of dumb, but that's not even her main personality quirk. She's a teen. And I love her for it.

Edited by Oshimos

Your welcome person. @ Ebony

I think that Peri would be a lot better if they had a different voice actor or perhaps a different way she speaks. I can't see her being as quite as she is. She shouldn't be like Henry, but she should be louder.

Oh, I also need to give props to Avel. That horse is doing his best to win me over.

I adore the way Peri speaks. (maybe its because i can almost completely mimic it.) But i think the way it is, is because Peri is supposed to be pretty immature and have a bit of a baby voice.

Laslow is alright. Hes definitely better written than his Awakening self. Tbh, i like Odin a lot more than Owain because hes still a total fucken nerd. But now hes a little more mature and stuff. Plus, his crit cut-ins are just the best now,

Characters i found myself loving? Both the kitsune. Kaden is super funny and adorable and Selkie is just d'awww. I also really like Velouria. Ophelia is also just...too cute for words. Sophie too. And i think those are the only second gen units i like. I found myself really loving Kagero and Kaze. Sakura ended up being my favorite little sister.

I think it's because "found yourself" implies you didn't like them at first. I don't know a single person who didn't like Arthur at first sight.

Hi that person is me and he still doesn't interest me. :P

The Three Amigos (Odin, Laslow, Selena) - I thought I'd lose what I loved about these three, but nope. They are great and even feel like better versions of than the Awakening version. Selena's not living in the shadows, Odin's still the way he is, and Laslow's got even more confidence now.

Also, the talents of each confirm who their parents are, which was a nice thing to find out.

By talents do you mean their reclass options? I've only used Odin so far so I'm not sure what those are for the other two... So what are the juicy implications of the fathers' identities?

Edited by Book Bro

Arthur...seriously, I thought he was a joke character with the horrible luck and annoying "Justice" personality but not only does his amazing skill makes up for that but he is pretty kick-ass. The man is a walking hero. He is the type of guy who you look up because of all the horrible luck he has, he still continues to do good and tries his very best to help the people around him. It is almost sad, that the world treat him like trash, but he is ultimately a good person.

He is also not as dumb, as you think. He knows what he is talking about and he can be extremely insightful, thanks to his experience. I love characters like this. He can be funny and cool on one side, but he could also be caring and insightful.

The other character that I didn't expect to like was Setsuna. I really thought, that she was going to be a more "Ora" personality when I first saw her design, but the fact that they made her soft-spoken, lazy and abstract-minded, makes her very relatable. It is a shame that she has some weird fetish for traps but her personality makes up for it.

I feel the same way, though disclaimer that I haven't read too many yet since I've only read the ones I've gotten in-game rather than seeking more out here on Serenes. So there could certainly be some good ones I'm missing.

I also felt the father/child interactions in recruitment chapters had far too much "waaah you left me in the Deeprealms you jerk". Which... well, is true (Fates parents, you are bad at this; please just wait for the war to be over before raising your kids thx), but it gets a bit repetitive.

Not the interactions - the actual supports. The interactions range from facepalm (Percy) to kinda interesting (Nina).

Takumi, definitely. Everything pre-release seemed to indicate that I would hate his guts, but his supports and usefulness won me over.

Scarlet. She was less "hate" and more "completely neutral on," but her supports with Corrin and brief interactions with Ryouma also won me over.

Hayato. Another one I was expecting to hate, given how meh I was on Ricken and how he seemed to be Ricken but more obnoxious, but the first support chain I finished for him was his with Sakura, which was adorable, and all of his other support chains have been surprisingly sweet.

Edited by AzureSen

Leo.

I wasn't really expecting much from him from just the promotional stuff, completely neutral on him back then really, but he's now my favorite among the siblings.

And Selena. Much more bearable than Severa.

Hi that person is me and he still doesn't interest me. :P

By talents do you mean their reclass options? I've only used Odin so far so I'm not sure what those are for the other two... So what are the juicy implications of the fathers' identities?

Not sure what that guy's talking about.

Odin starting as a Dark Mage may confirm that his father was either Henry or Libra, but eh.

Selena has two of her default classes so nothing confimed there.

Laslow with Ninja... I got nothing. It's an analogue to the Thief class so I guess either Henry, Lonqu, Gaius, or Kellam as a the father if we're going there, but nothing really confirmy.

So, nothing really confirmed.

Edited by Meh

I didn't think I'd like Orochi, but I actually like her supports. Most supports make me feel like "hey that character is a likeable nice person" but Orochi's supports are like "hey this lady is funny and cool." I also thought Kana would be stupid, but she's really adorable. I don't know what boy kana is like but I expect he's funny too.

The only character I really haven't found myself able to like in Hoshido is Setsuna.

I haven't played Nohr yet. I will mention that while I don't really like Elise, I love that the game uses her pudgy faced teary portrait shows up when she's on the losing end of combat.

I expected Charlotte to be an annoying gold digger who only does it for personal gain, and boy was I wrong

Izana was pretty funny

I expected Peri to be a token psycho and she was actually a pretty well written character

Edited by LordBraixen

Charlotte: I thought she sucked at first. Then I used her and she became a Berzerker....OH.MY.GOD. She kills everything! Not to mention I gave her the Club of Doom :3 100% crit <3

Effie: I've NEVER liked Knights. Effie though, became a BEAST! She completely blew my mind!

Silas: RNG Jesus hated the poor guy. Benched him for a while, then I paired him up with Mozu and now he's amazing in the Flying Chicken (Kinshi) class <3

Nyx: Thought she would be a weak, fragile little thing. But, I gave her some really awesome skills and now she unstoppable <3

I originally used Silias only for gameplay with a neutral/mild dislike for his character but his smug fucking face, nice guy dominance assertion sessions with jakob and kaze, and overall romantic supports really fleshed out his character for me and I'm really glad the dude is in all three paths, he's become a favorite of mine.

Also his daughter is hilarious.

4a1.png

This support almost completely changes my perception of Peri.

Peri is actually really loving (even more so despite the generic supports) of her children in the mother supports. I think she got the Henry treatment with them. (his are slightly different than most of the other dad supports in Awakening)