I need some clarifications with the pairings in Birthright.

21_21

I have few questions regarding how skills transfer as well as the specific pairings themselves.

Firstly, obviously skills transfer from parents to children, but what if the parents don't have those skills yet? For example, if I pair Ryoma up with someone before he learned Astra, can his kid still learn Astra? Or do the parents need the skill for the kid to acquire them? This is without buying them, of course.

Secondly, which relates to my first question if the answer is a yes, is it better to recruit kids earlier or later? If the parents need to learn skills to transfer it to the kids, then the kids need to be recruited later in the game when the parents are high leveled, but then the kids won't be at lower levels, but higher levels instead, missing out on leveling them up. It's similar to the problem of using pre-promotes.

Edited by 21_21

I believe skill inheritance works like Awakening, which means each kid comes with

-All the skills from his/her base class at that level.

-The skill occupying the last skill slot from both the mother and the father.

So if Ryoma doesn't know Astra yet, his kids will not automatically inherit it. But they will inherit the Samurai class from him, so they can learn it naturally by re-classing to Trueblade. If you are trying to pass down a skill from a class that the child will not inherit, then you should make sure it's the last skill in the parent's active skill set.

I believe skill inheritance works like Awakening, which means each kid comes with

-All the skills from his/her base class at that level.

-The skill occupying the last skill slot from both the mother and the father.

So if Ryoma doesn't know Astra yet, his kids will not automatically inherit it. But they will inherit the Samurai class from him, so they can learn it naturally by re-classing to Trueblade. If you are trying to pass down a skill from a class that the child will not inherit, then you should make sure it's the last skill in the parent's active skill set.

Ah, I see. What about the timing for recruiting the children? Are there any downsides to recruiting them later than earlier apart from being at higher levels? Specifically, suppose I recruit a child at level 10 instead of level 15, would he be as strong, or stronger than if I had outright recruited him at level 15 instead?

Also, a followup question to the answer you gave? Suppose Ryoma didn't learn Astra but he had a kid, BUT this time you did not access the paralogue until after Ryoma finally learned Astra. Does the child still learn Astra or was the fate (pun not intended) sealed for that child once he/she was born and not have Astra when I recruit him?

Edited by 21_21

The kid inherits the last skill equipped to the parent at the time of recruitment.

Ryoma's kid can still learn Astra from reclassing into Swordmaster and learn the skill himself. Though if you wanted a skill from Ryoma's secondary class tree Sky Knight, his kid will not inherit the class because his base class is different from Ryoma's.

Many kids need to be talked to before gaining control of them and they will not go past unpromoted level 20 without using their Offspring Seal so in some cases if you wait too long you'll need to use a Rescue staff chain to make sure they don't die because they're too far away. Though most people recruit them later so the the exp needed to level them up can go to someone else and grinding weapon rank is a pain. 2nd Gen's auto level ups stats are based off averages unlike regular level ups which are percent chance based

Ah, okay. Thanks for answering my question. At least now I know that I can pair up units anytime I want as long as I level them up later on.

Btw, if it's alright, can you comment on these pairings? I'm trying to figure out the most optimal pairings without needing to switch classes. This is what I got so far.

CorrinXScarlet

KazeXMozu

RyomaXRinkah

HanaXSubaki

SaizoXKagero

HayatoXOrochi

SilasXHinoka

HazamaXSetsuna

TakumiXOboro

HinataXSakura

AzuraX Jakob (or Felicia X Jacob?)

Edited by 21_21