So is Revelations worth buying for the story?

MaysMrDolpin

I just finished Conquest two weeks ago and despite the maps being more fun than Awakening, the story was pretty questionable, if not worse than Awakening (I thought they hired a manga author to write the story?). It also left a sour taste in my view of Fates series. One evidence of this is I've been reading the Corrin is an idiot thread nearby.

I'm actually playing Radiant Dawn for the 1st time and I find it more engaging for some reason in terms of story and gameplay for some reason.

From what I've been seeing, the story quality from best to worst is generally labelled as Birthright --> Revelation --> Conquest. But then, it also really depends on what you think is a good story. I, too, have been following that Corrin thread, own all three versions of the game, and have been having a great time. It really depends what you are looking for.

Should you play for the story? Fuck no.

Fates has a pretty bad story. Birthright is very bland, Conquest is just straight up stupid and Revelation has so much pandering and makes the other two paths feel like they did not matter.

But for gameplay, yes. IMO, Fates rivals RD in terms of gameplay, just taking 2nd place. Also, the characters are nice and if you take your time to get the supports, you will see much better versions of characters then the main story presented.

Honestly, I think the game play of Revelation is more enjoyable. So if you want to play it for that reason go for it!

Story wise it isn't much better, it really only reveals answers that Conquest and Birthright can't cover. Hence it being the last path you should play.

(I honestly like all the stories, just my preference, but it could've been better I guess. Game play is the main thing I worry about not the story anyways.)

tl;dr: It is worth to buy for gameplay but not story wise.

What's good about Revelations (story-wise): It explains things that weren't revealed in the other two paths.

What's bad about Revelations (story-wise): Characters and execution.

My personal story preference is Conquest > Birthright >> Revelations, so take that as you will.

I think all the stories are a bit of a let down, but I am liking Revelations the best because I hated having to kill off one set of siblings in each of the other two games. Of course I am one of those people that has to recruit every one and have every one be alive at the end, so Revelations is the best path for me even though I did enjoy the other two. It is up to you if you want to play it, game play wise it is a lot of fun but don't expect the story to be really good.

I would really only recommend Revalation for completionists or people who want an amazing PvP team. I haven't played very far into the game but from what I've played so far the gameplay is horrible. Units are either untouchable or unusable and it makes for a really bland and uninjoyable experience.

I think it's worth buying just because its the 'definitive' route. The story and gameplay aren't stellar (particularly towards the end; otherwise, gameplay can be pretty fun) but you get (almost) every character and the freedom to play however you want.

Do you like super-over-the-top happy endings? If yes, then you should definitely play Revelations.

Do you want a super solid narrative with compelling drive and clever plot twists? If yes, then maybe you should look elsewhere.

But, in all seriousness, if you enjoyed the gameplay of Conquest I would suggest you check out Revelations. Some of the maps are pretty fun, and it definitely plays differently than the other two routes. Additionally, having all the units is interesting (if not making everything infinity easier) but if you liked the characters at all in Conquest you'll probably find this amusing.

Lastly, if you can forgive Radiant Dawn's "curse to talk about stuff" then you can enjoy Revelations.

It felt like the story was used as justification for the maps. Which isn't always a bad thing, but it was way overdone in this case.

That's putting it mildly. Considering what happens, it's a shock that the cast doesn't talk more. In fact, no one TALKS in this game and especially Revelation. It's all exposition or "I believe in Corrin".

That's putting it mildly. Considering what happens, it's a shock that the cast doesn't talk more. In fact, no one TALKS in this game and especially Revelation. It's all exposition or "I believe in Corrin".

Seriously. I agree with this x100. >.> (Especially given all the world-breaking information that's dumped on everyone halfway through - you'd think they have some sort of opinion or shock or disbelief or... or... something to say about it all).

Game could have improved with about three times as much dialogue (in my crazy opinion) but maybe I just don't mind reading as much... <.<

In my opinion, yes. Especially after experiencing Conquest's abysmal writing and Birthright's bland plot.

My biggest gripe with Fates is that I didn't really feel any connection to either side of the war. Nohr was just too blatantly evil and invaded an innocent country with little to no good reason, and Hoshido was too goody-goody and portrayed in a light of perfection. It was too black and white to evoke any feeling or emotional weight in the choice. However, with Revelation, you don't have this problem. Sure, the drama of having to choose between your families is gone, but now you're a traitor to BOTH sides, which makes things even more interesting. You're on the run with a small team in the start as you desperately try to round up allies and gain their trust to take down the real enemy, even though you can't tell them what's actually happening. It's also incredibly awesome to have both Nohr and Hoshido working together to bring down the greater foe, and seeing two vastly different cultures and their starkly opposite aesthetics side by side. It also gives you opportunities to unlock supports between characters of Nohr and characters of Hoshido, something that you weren't able to do in the other two paths (If you played awakening, I highly recommend supporting Selena and Subaki. Other good ones are Oboro and Beruka, Leo and Takumi, and Sakura and Elise).

The reason I'm upset with it is that it feels manipulative. This is the grandest Fire Emblem we have ever seen; it's bigger, it's better, and well balanced. So why make players schlep through one or two technically incomplete story paths that purposely leave holes in its lore (with one path that suffers from terrible writing and doesn't even make sense. Conquest, I'm looking at you) when you can just have something like Revelation, a full complete story? It feels like a money grab to me, but it's not a huge deal since I ended up enjoying it immensely.

I really enjoyed Birthrights story for what its worth. I'm currently playing through conquest, and I'm really enjoying the gameplay. So far the story is okay, but what irritates me is how naive Corrin is (but then again he has lived isolated from the world for a long time). I can't wait wait to play Revelations, I hear the story is fixed in that route.