My one complaint about Revelation (SPOILERS)

*Haku

Agree or Disagree  

26 members have voted

1. 1. :o

• I agree. I dislike them as well
    • I disagree. I find them neat
    • Itz only game, why you heff to be med (FATES IS NOT A GAME, IT'S A WORK OF ART T_T)

Revelation blew Conquest and Birthright out of the water (storywise) because like nothing hurts more than having your own loved ones be forced to fight against you (Arete, Mikoto, Sumeragi, and Gunter, yes I actually like Gunter personality wise LOL)

The ending was spectacular, fighting Anankos in that amazing scenery was awesome (although part of me is like "Azura not dying makes the ending so much less.... meaningful. Even though I like Azura, I like Birthright's ending for her because it fulfills her ultimate dream") and also having all characters certainly makes the support conversations more fun to grind XD

EXCEPT FOR ONE THING. WHY THE HELL ARE THERE SO MANY PUZZLES IN THE VALLA MAPS T_T

Rotating Platforms, stealth missions/doors (Screw you mom you tried to trick us DX), Changing Floors, Rotating Bridges, Unlocking locks, Burning forests down, blah blah blah

I've never been really that fond of puzzles because they seem like just a lame excuse to make a chapter longer than it has to be. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I found the story awful and the gameplay lackluster, especially since I just came from Conquest which had amazing map designs. The arbitrary waiting you have to do makes no sense and adds little to no strategy at all, and is simply not fun.

The story is an insult to the player; characters don't act like people but are instead reduced - even more than usual - to a Corrin worshipping faceless mass. Seriously, what do the siblings contribute here? What do the villains do? What does anyone say to each other that doesn't relate to exposition or Corrin?

I found the story awful and the gameplay lackluster, especially since I just came from Conquest which had amazing map designs. The arbitrary waiting you have to do makes no sense and adds little to no strategy at all, and is simply not fun.

The story is an insult to the player; characters don't act like people but are instead reduced - even more than usual - to a Corrin worshipping faceless mass. Seriously, what do the siblings contribute here? What do the villains do? What does anyone say to each other that doesn't relate to exposition or Corrin?

well Revelation is meant to focus on the Avatar and Azura anyway.

Yeah the other characters seldom made impact to the plot besides the occasional "we believe in you _____" but thats not the main focus xD

to each their own ofc

well Revelation is meant to focus on the Avatar and Azura anyway.

Yeah the other characters seldom made impact to the plot besides the occasional "we believe in you _____" but thats not the main focus xD

to each their own ofc

Really? Why do you say that? I sort of thought it was to solve a war between two countries, solve the mystery of a third and explain everything that was - most likely purposefully - left out in the other two versions.

I don't mean to come across as aggressive or anything, and I do realize that Corrin is the protagonist, but I'm surprised to hear you say "it's supposed to be about Corrin and Azura anyway" - like, why even have eight other siblings and other supporting cast members? There's just no dialogue that gives the player an understanding of who the characters are; it's all exposition or talk abou Corrin. If they had been less conventional and just given us a handful of units, then it would've been both easier to write and more acceptable if more focus was on Corrin, but no, we got everyone.

Really? Why do you say that? I sort of thought it was to solve a war between two countries, solve the mystery of a third and explain everything that was - most likely purposefully - left out in the other two versions.

I don't mean to come across as aggressive or anything, and I do realize that Corrin is the protagonist, but I'm surprised to hear you say "it's supposed to be about Corrin and Azura anyway" - like, why even have eight other siblings and other supporting cast members? There's just no dialogue that gives the player an understanding of who the characters are; it's all exposition or talk abou Corrin. If they had been less conventional and just given us a handful of units, then it would've been both easier to write and more acceptable if more focus was on Corrin, but no, we got everyone.

Would you say it's better or worse than Conquest for the story?

Would you say it's better or worse than Conquest for the story?

I honestly don't know. On one hand, Revelation's core idea, however bland, is solid while Conquest twists itself to make Corrin's insane actions look justified. On the other hand, Revelation makes the other two routes pointless and doesn't manage to provoke any sense of conflict as you battle through armies of redshirts.

They both share Fates' many problems with writing though, so I honestly don't know how to judge them; they might be equally bad in different ways.

In all of my own opinion, I can't stand to play revelations due to how long the maps are. I don't like thinking about the story because it's let me down so much so focusing on just gameplay: I much rather prefer playing conquest over Revelations. The puzzles were neat, and that one chapter with the floor tiles changing from unpromoted to promoted was actually really cool and I enjoyed it, it's just that I would like not to spend too much time on a map. The only reason I play revelations is for the full cast, honestly (And chapter 27 because beating up dragon dad is my favorite past time.)

Honestly, it depends on the Chapter. For example, I loved the ice chapter. Remove ice, kill enemy, get item, feel good. I felt like I was being rewarded for exploring the map, which is a good thing. Another example is the stealth mission. Haven't seen one of those since POR (I think). Now, I had an 8 move Corrin with Locktouch prepared ahead of time, but even with that, I still screwed up a bit, but it was fine. Getting rewarded for my stealthiness was good as well.

Of couse with good comes bad. When one can complete a map where you are supposed to wait an eternety for a stupid dragon vein to appear in two turns by using that pre-promote you got the previous chapter, you've fucked up. Also, Chapter 25 (locks) can go to hell as well.

Revelation sucks so far in gameplay even compared to birthright. So many maps are drawn out with pointless gimmicks and end up taking way too many turns. The worst offender so far has been the ice chapter, where you spend like 30 turns breaking the ice to make sure you get all the loot, and smashing the pathetic enemies with corrin and hayato because they're the only useful units you have at that point. At this point, even having the whole cast together doesnt even feel as exciting as it first did since I've already seen them all twice playing through the other routes.

Edited by shed

Honestly, I think Revelations is the best for giving all the characters, letting me take my time with the Scout thing, and having some varied maps, sure alot of Puzzles can be annoying (fuck the Wind Tribe and their winds throwing my characters everywhere) but some of them were interesting while others were jsut... eh.... yes its gimmick, but its different, and the final boss battle was kinda neat, shame it had to force random enemies to make the battle feel 'harder', now im gonna replay again and see what happens.

Also I can understand why people hate the story, but for what it does, it works most of the time, it was kinda neat to see some characters back and while the 'plot twist' wasnt that big, at least the reason was understandable,for me, it does what the name says, Revelations... it takes out the mystery of some of the endings in Birthright and Conquest but it works.... also the Azura not dissapearing thing... let her have a happy ending for once dangit!

Calling the gimmicks in Revelation puzzles is extremely generous. The closest you have to a puzzle is Chapter 24 and that's extremely flawed on it's own.

Also is it just me or are only Corrin, Azura, and the older brothers the only important characters in Revelation. Like outside of her join chapter, I don't think Hinoka has any lines whatsoever and the other sisters aren't much better. The younger brothers are a bit better off, but they still appear less and have noticeably less lines than the older brothers do. It's so weird.

I like the general story of Revelation. I don't like the Wind Tribe map (damn wind blowing my soldiers everywhere!!!). I also don't like how some of the characters are underleveled when they join. I have to scout so I can grind them. But all in all, so far I've enjoyed it. Haven't gotten past chapter 11 as of yet since I restarted (reason being that I failed to recruit Reina on the ninja map. She was defeated before I could talk to Saizo...). Playing on casual by the way, although I do reset when a major unit is KOed (and my fav units, but that's probably a given).