Is Jakob the Only Young Butler in Fiction?

vanguard333

Something that occurred to me; Jakob is similar-aged as the protagonist whom he serves, yet almost every (if not every) notable butler in fiction is old and/or fat. Is Jakob the only exception to this?

Also, is the fact that most fictional butlers are old and/or fat simply the Butler stereotype, or is there another reason for this?

Of course not. The first rule of anime is that if there is a norm, it has already been broken by anime.

Also, is the fact that most fictional butlers are old and/or fat simply the Butler stereotype, or is there another reason for this?
It's probably just a thought someone picked up after seeing butlers IRL and there's a bit of sense in it when you think about it:
1. I know that age doesn't necessarily determine maturity but let's be real here, how many males of age 20 and below can you find that are disciplined enough to handle a butler's daily responsibilities?
2. In fictional stories, the butler has typically served the house for a long time, some through generations.
Edited by Sirius

No, Sebastion's a demon, so he's excluded. Also he just looks young.

I think it is just more rarer to have a younger butler in charge of a household, as it is usually the more experienced ones that tend to royalty, since they have that experience. At least if I remember my history right.

Frederick basically is a butler in a knight's armor and title though. :P And he even does similar duties to to Jakob, just check out their conversation in the Awakening DLC.

Jakob is a different sort of butler from others though, but that's a good thing. ^^

Edited by Anacybele

Frederick basically is a butler in a knight's armor and title though. :P And he even does similar duties to to Jakob, just check out their conversation in the Awakening DLC.

Jakob is a different sort of butler from others though, but that's a good thing. ^^

Yeah, Frederick will deny it all the live-long day, but ultimately he's Chrom's butler. Who can kill anything.

No. A few more examples would be:

The butler characters from Black Butler (they are demons though)

Hayate Ayasaki from Hayate the Combat Butler

Kanon from Umineko

Luca from Arcana Famiglia

Raven from Earl and Fairy

Characters from Ladies vs Butlers!

Ayumi Tojo from Gintama

Sakuya Ohtori from Rewrite

Sanjay from Harvest Moon: A New Beginning

Vishnal from Rune Factory 4