What class is your avatar and why.

Suspect

Not entirely untrue. It's more that Bow users got a pretty major buff. The idea is that Tomes can attack at 1-2, but can't beat dedicated 1 range or 2 range weapons at the same range. Of course, Bows will be able to attack at 1-2 with the new DLC coming out, so...

If only there was some kind of 1-2 range weapon type that could one round bows and knives.

Right, tomes.

What if the best combat mage branch had inherent bowbreaker?

(Ngl snipers are top tier)

Edited by joshcja

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavalier ending on Paladin is my go-to though I'm think about ending on Dreadfighter in Rev

For Birthright I did fighter to make Rinkah a Berserker and ended on Hero which worked pretty well

Edited by DavidSW

Not entirely untrue. It's more that Bow users got a pretty major buff. The idea is that Tomes can attack at 1-2, but can't beat dedicated 1 range or 2 range weapons at the same range. Of course, Bows will be able to attack at 1-2 with the new DLC coming out, so...

Yeah well, speaking of that, Bows (or at least a good deal of the Hoshidan bows) aren't that accurate. Anyways, I'd give Tomes points for versatility.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

If only there was some kind of 1-2 range weapon type that could one round bows and knives.

Right, tomes.

What if the best combat mage branch had inherent bowbreaker?

(Ngl snipers are top tier)

Sniper:

HP- 55

Str- 31

Mag- 25

Skl- 35

Spd- 33

Lck- 30

Def- 31

Res- 28

Sorcerer:

HP- 50

Str- 25

Mag- 35

Skl- 26

Spd- 29

Lck- 26

Def- 29

Res- 33

The only stats Sorcerer beat Sniper in are Magic and Res.

Ragnarok (B-Rank tome):

Might- 11

Hit- 80

Crit- 0

Avd- 0

Rng- 1-2

Critical evade -5, after battle, -2 Mag and -2 Skl

Silver Yumi (B-Rank Yumi):

Might- 16

Hit- 70

Crit- 0

Avd- 0

Rng- 2

Critical Evade -5. After battle, -2 Str and -2 Skl. +2 Res.

Yumi has higher might and an innate +2 to res, with only 10 less hit, which is off-set by Certain Blow.

I'm not saying that Magic is necessarily bad in this game, it's just that the buffs to Bows means they're no longer the best 2-range attack option. They still had uses as 1-2 range weapons (since the 1-2 range swords, axes, bows and what-have-you aren't that good anymore), but since we're going to get Point Blank in the latest DLC, Bows can fill that role much better in my opinion. Tomes and Scrolls will still have their uses, but it's more of a niche role than anything else imo.

Yeah well, speaking of that, Bows (or at least a good deal of the Hoshidan bows) aren't that accurate. Anyways, I'd give Tomes points for versatility.

True, but Snipers get Certain Blow (+40 to hit on your turn). I would agree that Tomes get points for versatility, but since the latest DLC will be giving Proximity Shot, Bows have the same versatility of range. Tomes and scrolls still have their uses for sure, but in my opinion those are more niche uses than anything else.

Edited by Phillius

Snip

To clarify +mag is the bestest attribute because res caps are non existent in fates compared to def in-game and the base damage/utility on mag weapons in general enormously outclass physical options. MU's inherent high str still allows effective use of yato/braves so it's flat out the better option. Tome users have nothing to do with that particular aspect of +mag avatar supremacy they're just a nice extra,moreso in conquest/rev where nhorian noble is a thing.

On the note of sorc vs sniper.

If we're talking freaking DLC in game, No not even DLC can shake the sorc deathgrip on top in-game MCU, Nos isn't a bow and res stats are borderline non existent (oh man 20 res... that's still a one shot) minor BST leads are not going to let snipers flat out solo lunatic maps the way top tier sorc units can. That said within the top MCU ranking of (in no real order) snipers/zerkers/spear masters/sorc's all of them have wildly separate class roles (even with DLC added) so shoutouts to IS for a reasonably balanced game.

For my castle they're functionally the same in a vacuum, with a slight edge to sorc on defense (free skill slot!!!) and a slight edge to sniper on offense (point blank is worthless here so whatever). In the current meta people are idiots and randomly waste their build limit. Ideally you stack raw res/def/speed/dump spares in mag but atm nobody remembers to stack res so unforged lightning just kills everything while snipers will sometimes come up empty.

TL:DR Snipers are VERY good but frankly point blank overhype is entirely out of hand. In game its not Nos, postgame It's either pointless or eating the free def set skillslot you would be using for trip breakers/trust builds. The stat leadover other 1-2 options is a big deal and does matter but for the most part it's what keeps snipers in the game rather than something that makes them dominate.

Edited by joshcja

To clarify +mag is the bestest attribute because res caps are non existent in fates compared to def in-game and the avatar at base has much better mag weapons than physical. Tome users have nothing to do with that particular aspect of +mag avatar supremacy they're just a nice extra,moreso in conquest/rev where nhorian noble is a thing.

Trying to decide which attribute is the best for an MU almost impossible, since the number of viable builds are more than you'd think. I've heard +Mag/-Lck Cavalier is great for Birthright, but I've also heard +Str/-Res Ninja for Conquest. At the very least, it's not as open-and-shut as you might think.

On the note of sorc vs sniper.

If we're talking freaking DLC in game, No not even DLC can shake the sorc deathgrip on top in-game MCU, Nos isn't a bow and res stats are borderline non existent (oh man 20 res... that's still a one shot) minor BST leads are not going to let snipers flat out solo lunatic maps the way top tier sorc units can. That said within the top MCU ranking of (in no real order) snipers/zerkers/spear masters/sorc's all of them have wildly separate class roles (even with DLC added) so shoutouts to IS for a reasonably balanced game.

First of all, I don't see why you're bringing up Nosferatu since IS broke both it's knees with the nerf-bat (Can't crit, can't double and -20 to avoid). Secondly, by BST I'm assuming you mean stats (I've haven't learned all the lingo yet) in which case +9 Skl and +4 Spd seems a bit to good to write off. I will admit that in some ways this game is the most balanced we've ever had, but then we have Warp + Witch's Poison + 3-Range weapons so...

For my castle they're functionally the same in a vacuum, with a slight edge to sorc on defense (free skill slot!!!) and a slight edge to sniper on offense (point blank is worthless here so whatever). In the current meta people are idiots and randomly waste their build limit. Ideally you stack raw res/def/speed/dump spares in mag but atm nobody remembers to stack res so unforged lightning just kills everything while snipers will sometimes come up empty.

A strategy that relies on the opposition being dumb is not what I'd call a viable strategy. Besides, Defence doesn't matter a whole lot in PVP as there's a lot of emphasis on accomplishing as much as possible in the player phase as possible, since the meta seems very much based around the Rocket Tag style of gameplay (one-shot or be one-shotted).

TL:DR Snipers are VERY good but frankly point blank overhype is entirely out of hand. In game its not Nos, postgame It's either pointless or eating the free def set skillslot you would be using for trip breakers/trust builds. The stat leadover other 1-2 options is a big deal and does matter but for the most part it's what keeps snipers in the game rather than something that makes them dominate.

Point Blank isn't a game-breaker, but it's still damn useful considering that at worst it compensates for the classes main weakness (it's at the very least a superior alternative to counter) and at best reduces the effectiveness of Tomes since one of their main advantages has been versatility. However, with Point Blank, Snipers have the same versatility of range while having arguably better weapons and skill sets. Magic still has weapon-triangle uses as well as usefulness against low-res enemies, but I'd argue that snipers are still the overall more useful class.

Trying to pick a best attribute is easy, its mag, +str ninja is effective enough (most builds are) but it fails horribly compared to +mag diviner/sorc in conquest and does less damage overall within its own class than a +mag mod due to weaker flame shuriken/levin/SB.

Nos is a large part of why magic builds are so damn broken on conquest/rev routes. With an all in build nos still Orko's everything but high res targets who have wta advantage on conquest lunatic (for everything else there's calamity gate/the rest of the team). It really is still that good, and now it never ever runs out of uses. Even on suboptimal builds it makes non-nyx dark mages/sorc's nigh immortal solo machines, able to eat half a map on their own with no support whatsoever. There is a reason there are a big 2 nos tomes total in the main game.

Res stats on relevant units are almost universally lower than def in MC meta by 5-10 points before statues, when combined with magic's inherently higher cap modifiers on unrestricted 1-2 classes this leads to bows doing similar damage to tomes in a vacuum (can we not pretend master ninja's and foxes matter) the fact that nobody stacks res for some idiot reason just causes this issue to spiral hilariously out of control and lets base lightning out damage forged brave axe zerks right now.

My TL:DR point is, snipers are really good and point blank gives them a decent if somewhat situational option, they're not suddenly perfect 1-2 range zekers and they in no way whatsoever replicate or outclass magic as a whole and tomes in particular.

Edited by joshcja

Birthright (+Spd/-Lck) - Lancer for skills to pass down for Kana and Midori, ended as Dread Fighter because looks and shurikens.

Conquest (+Mag/-Lck) - Priestess for passing to Kana and Forrest, and for Leo to get Tomefaire.

Revelation (+Spd/-Lck) - Ninja to pass down to Kana and Kiragi as one of the two's ending classes, and ending with Dread Fighter for same reason as Birthright haha.

Edited by Elif

I tend to stick with Nohr Noble simply because I like using Swords, Tomes, and occasionally the Dragonstone. I do have Ninja as my asset, however. I like Ninjas. My Asset is Defense, but my flaw is HP-I simply prefer to take a small hit to multiple stats than a big hit to one stat.

Trying to pick a best attribute is easy, its mag, +str ninja is effective enough (most builds are) but it fails horribly compared to +mag diviner/sorc in conquest and does less damage overall within its own class than a +mag mod due to weaker flame shuriken/levin/SB.

Nos is a large part of why magic builds are so damn broken on conquest/rev routes. With an all in build nos still Orko's everything but high res targets who have wta advantage on conquest lunatic (for everything else there's calamity gate/the rest of the team). It really is still that good, and now it never ever runs out of uses. Even on suboptimal builds it makes non-nyx dark mages/sorc's nigh immortal solo machines, able to eat half a map on their own with no support whatsoever.

Res stats on relevant units are almost universally lower than def in MC meta by 5-10 points before statues, when combined with magic's inherently higher cap modifiers on 1-2 classes this leads to bows doing similar damage to tomes in a vacuum (can we not pretend master ninja's and foxes matter) the fact that nobody stacks res for some idiot reason just causes this issue to spiral hilariously out of control and lets base lightning out damage forged brave axe zerks right now.

My TL:DR point is, snipers are really good and point blank gives them a decent if somewhat situational option, they're not suddenly perfect 1-2 range zekers and they in no way whatsoever replicate or outclass magic as a whole and tomes in particular.

I think the problem is that we're talking about different things. You seem more focused on the in-game stuff while I'm talking about end-game/PVP stuff.

I think the problem is that we're talking about different things. You seem more focused on the in-game stuff while I'm talking about end-game/PVP stuff.

Nah i'm on both.

I just don't see PB mattering terribly on MC offense unless you just want to do less damage and get hit more on player phase, and it eats a breaker/wary fighter on defense so at least one thing can 100% orko you instead of 50% orkoing you (that said it lets archers defend... at all, which is pretty damn nice, shame the ai plays that content so you'll never get to enjoy it)

It might be really cool in some of the upcoming postgame DLC/whatever fates apotheosis will be but for now it just seems like the least broken aspect of all the DLC bullshit for casual in-game play.

Edit: Hell the only place it really matters on MC def is for throne builds and snipers just do not have the bases to pull that off. It just pales in comparison to warp, gale force, +10's, trust, blows and breakers in the PP meta that is MC battles. Yeah I'm calling PB as in game/postgame DLC where the EP actually matters.

Edited by joshcja

Nah i'm on both.

I just don't see PB mattering terribly on MC offense unless you just want to do less damage and get hit more on player phase, and it eats a breaker/wary fighter on defense so at least one thing can 100% orko you instead of 50% orkoing you (that said it lets archers defend... at all, which is pretty damn nice, shame the ai plays that content so you'll never get to enjoy it)

It might be really cool in some of the upcoming postgame DLC/whatever fates apotheosis will be but for now it just seems like the least broken aspect of all the DLC bullshit for casual in-game play.

It's certainly not going to make magic bad in any form or fashion though.

Point Blank is good because now Snipers can actually fight back on enemy's turn without having to rely on counter and it gives them the same versatility that tomes have (most in-game enemies won't have Point Blank themselves). It's definitely the least broken of the DLC stuff, but that really isn't saying much considering that it also gave us Warp and Witch's Poison.

I've never said that it would make Magic bad at all. I merely said that, in my opinion, it makes them less useful since one of their main uses is versatility of range, which can now be filled by a Sniper with Point Blank which (again, in my opinion) does the job better.

My first run through Conquest my class was the Butler because the character was based off of a rogue I ran in DnD, and Butler was the closest I was going to get without going Ninja, which appearance wise doesn't fit at all. That is the thing with all of my characters, they are all based off of various characters I have run, whether it be tabletop rpgs, or created in others. My next playthrough will likely be as an Onmyoji as its the closest I will get to a Cleric, just without armor.

Right now, my unit is a Nohr Noble. On Revelations though, I'll go Mercenary.

Why? Simple:

1. Yato kinda pushes you to use swords;
  2. Vanguard kinda sucks, unfortunately;
  3. Hero has been used as the Lord-like class before;
  4. You can't go wrong with all-rounders.
Edited by FluffyWarlock

Lodestar.

I like high-speed characters, I like non-mounted units despite gameplay benefit, I prefer physical over magic classes, it looks better than Swordmaster (to me), and it can still S-Rank Swords for Yato.

Lets see... Conquest i went for Fighter because Berserker is my favorite class but, because of that damn Yato, I had to change to Hero, its not bad really because I love Hero class for many reasons

Brithright I went for Mercenary because you know.... Hero.... also my character became a:Paladin,Swordmaster and a Master of Arms...

Revelations I chose what nobody problaby ever wanted to play as... Knight.. yup and it was intersting,even more as a General, however later i became a Paladin,Great Knight,Hero,Berserker and last but not least Master of Arms

Now in my second run of all three will be:

Conquest= Oni savage

Birthright= Fighter

Revelations= Oni Savage

Why am I going Oni twice ? because extra crits,counter and Blacksmiths are badass and my favorite Hoshido class...

And yes I suffer from OCCCD, aka Obsessive Compulsive Class Changing Disorder

Hveðrungr was a Nohrian Noble for the majority of my first run in Conquest. I actually dont like that class. That run, i dorked up real bad and made his talent Outlaw for reasons im uncertain of. (it was supposed to be Mage.) I reclassed him to Paladin for the skills and he finished Conquest like that. Since im kinda redoing that run (with a different, possibly more 'canon' spouse), his talent is Mage. Hes gonna rock Sorc soon for Vengeance.

Miyuki in Birthright, was a Sky Warrior. She ended up reclassing to Pally too for Yato use at endgame. In Revelation, she was Dark Falcon and finished the game with Swordmaster.

Hveðrungr was a Nohrian Noble for the majority of my first run in Conquest. I actually dont like that class. That run, i dorked up real bad and made his talent Outlaw for reasons im uncertain of. (it was supposed to be Mage.) I reclassed him to Paladin for the skills and he finished Conquest like that. Since im kinda redoing that run (with a different, possibly more 'canon' spouse), his talent is Mage. Hes gonna rock Sorc soon for Vengeance.

Miyuki in Birthright, was a Sky Warrior. She ended up reclassing to Pally too for Yato use at endgame. In Revelation, she was Dark Falcon and finished the game with Swordmaster.

If they made the Yato a shapeshifting weapon, I would honestly try out to play as a Sorcerer. But if I want to go wizard and have access to the Yato for endgame, I would have to go either Grandmaster or Dark Knight.

Or just reclass to nohrian noble.

You keep the boosts from yato whatever class you're in as long as it's ininventory and noble's caps and skill are well suited for a lategame reclass, MU hits enough str benchmarks as a mage base to still be decent with the yato thanks to it's huge inherent growth.

Then you wonder why you even reclassed as base lightning still does more than capped str yato.

Edited by joshcja

If they made the Yato a shapeshifting weapon, I would honestly try out to play as a Sorcerer. But if I want to go wizard and have access to the Yato for endgame, I would have to go either Grandmaster or Dark Knight.

Ja. My guy wants to end the game as Dark Knight for Grim Yato spam.