Annoying Niggling Nitpicks from a Snarky Nohrian Knight.

Selena4Lyfe

So first and foremost, yes, that is one of my first attempts at alliteration. It's certainly fun, but I can easily appreciate the firm command of the English Language that one must have to make actually good examples of the linguistic exercise.

And now to the point of this thread.

As part of my thread title alludes to, I wanna discuss some of our nitpicky complaints about those small things located in the game that, while not affecting our overall enjoyment of the game, are still little things that give our minds a bit of an itch. To be clear, this isn't a thread where I want us to talk about things as big as the fact largely accepted consensus that the Nohr storyline is rather silly or the largely accepted consensus fact that Birthright's gameplay is a tad monotonous as far as the mission objectives. We're not discussing serious things, just the small stuffs that kinda make us sigh, thinking "Just a bit more work, and this could've been even cooler than it is..." ... Or other such thoughts that totally aren't related to game-breaking/immersion-smashing/otherwise-experience-ruining stuffs.

Have I mentioned that these are minor and/or silly things that we should be discussing here?

For instance, I love the the vast improvements to the overall graphics of the game. In particular, I adore how every map that you play on is completely modeled, and it's a delight to see your characters interacting with every inch of the environment - also, playing through Birthright's 14th Chapter, and seeing that giant wall entering into that Nohrian fortress actually makes my blood pump as I get my party closer to its gate (:smile:). However, two things that I can't help but notice and always bugs me when I see them is how the bottom of characters' feet will frequently clip through steep inclines/declines in the terrain, and how just like in Awakening, clothing, especially capes, will frequently clip through the backs and/or arms of characters rather than forming around them...

Like I said, just small things that kinda make your brain itch. So, step forward fellow nitpickers, and share your simpering assertions of simple grievances.

...Yeah, I really need to build up those alliteration skills...

Edited by Selena4Lyfe

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that the katanas that the Swordmaster dual wields cant be dual wielded by anyone else. We finally get a dual wielding weapon, and only Hoshido can do it, couldn't at least give nohr dual wielding axes or something?

While the accessory shop is really cool, and I hope it returns in the future, there is a serious lack of things that could of been in there. Where are all the class helms? I would of loved the basic wyvern rider helm, or the Malig Knight and Dark Knight helms.

When Hinata and Hayato reclass to the Oni Savage line, their heads don't match their bodies. They just look silly.

Even Corrin does that, I wanted to go into the Blacksmith class and it looked like someone photoshopped Corrin's head onto bodybuilder Arnold Schwarzenegger's body.

Edited by Tolvir

Clicking on a unit that can heal to pair him/her up to another unit, only to have that unit heal instead. This annoyed me since Awakening, and I hope they address it :(

The fact that the katanas that the Swordmaster dual wields cant be dual wielded by anyone else. We finally get a dual wielding weapon, and only Hoshido can do it, couldn't at least give nohr dual wielding axes or something?

While the accessory shop is really cool, and I hope it returns in the future, there is a serious lack of things that could of been in there. Where are all the class helms? I would of loved the basic wyvern rider helm, or the Malig Knight and Dark Knight helms.

These

Also going to add that the amiibo can't support, and that there isn't a standalone Manakete class

Also, you can't have more than one personal male avatar saved in the logbook. Same goes for females. I want all 6 of my Corrins fighting together in Endgame damn it.

No Hoshido Nomads/Bow Knights.

Not enough unique color pallets for class changing. Some characters don't even have a single unique pallet.

Tome/Scroll animations for a lot of classes are lame.

Takumi no longer mentions taking revenge for his mother in Chapter 6.

Midoriko can't have green hair unless it's via Kamui.

No shota build for Corrin.

This one can be blamed on the fact that Corrin is the middle sibling of both families.

As for my nitpicks, for something that's considered to be the fanservicey best ending, Revelation path doesn't allow for permanent recruitment of Scarlet, Yukimura, and Izana. Gunter should have been able to support after Revelation Chapter 26.

Yay time for some nitpicking even if I love this game

The character creator for Corrin feels much weaker then the one in Awakening, the older build of the male Corrin looks so... eh... compared to Awakening, and sadly in alot of classes he looks weird, like the Blacksmith

The Godamn Round Shield of the Hero class looks really ugly and out of place compared to the other versions of the class, I love the rest of the design but good god that shield

The design of Berserker, it looks so... eh... even more compared to the one in Awakening,where are the goddamn giant spiky shoulders ?!

No generic unit class helmets in the Acessory Shop,while alot of the shop items look... rather ugly, with my favorite being the General's shoulders

Selena's alternative model is the Bow knight... im sorry but who would make a Mercenary into a bow knight ,what happened ot the cool red hero armor?

Also only some models arent blue, I like blue but come on I want a different color at times dangit!

the Villager class and character feels much less rewarding compared to Awakening and Mozu is... she is a all right character in my opinion, I miss good ol Donny

Oh and I almost forgot, no character is a Lancer/Soldier, I love how they look,so simple yet cool but no character is them and they still suck... why couldnt they be a Nohr version of the Villager ? Which would promote to a General/Paladin ?

Edited by Skornvorax

Oh man, this thread is just what I needed. I'm gonna have fun with this!

I can understand (not agree with) nerfing javelin/hand axes/spears/etc. but seriously, why does this game taunt us by making actually good, enemy exclusive 1-2 range weapons?!

I can understand (somewhat agree with) making all dlc and castle battles except boo camp not giving exp in Conquest, but can we at least get weapon mastery for heaven's sake?!

Kagero and Camilla's busts magically turn into pancakes if you make them great lords.

Counter didn't get nerfed (I know it won't activate if you initiate anymore, but it would have been much better if they just made it deal 1/2 damage instead).

Fell Brand to become a Grandmaster that we get next week is male only...

Selena's laugh.

IS still hasn't figured out how to make recruiting people realistic/fun (look at Nyx: "You have no friends? We can be your friends." "Hmm, OK.") and we still recruit (nearly) everyone with MU.

We can't capture retainers. Seriously, this would have made the prison system so cool! They could even only decide to join you if a certain character persuaded them.

World map view sucks.

I feel like the weapon triangle would have made more sense if it was: (sword/hidden) > (axe/magic) > (lance/bow) > repeat.

The hidden weapons are mostly slashing weapons like swords, magic theoretically takes a certain degree of time to cast, making it similar to slow/heavy axes, and I've always thought of lances trumping swords because of their reach which would make bows' place in the weapon triangle very similar.

I guess that's all I can think of for now, but I can guarantee I'll think of more later.

Counter didn't get nerfed (I know it won't activate if you initiate anymore, but it would have been much better if they just made it deal 1/2 damage instead).

The corpse of my Conquest!Camilla still rotting on the floor of the Rainbow Sage's temple from her encounter with Azama begs to differ. Between that and that other skill which inflicts half-damage dealt when he doesn't have a weapon caused her strike to OHKO her. (damned bastard dastard... :squeezedtangerine: ) Unless I'm missing something, that sucker of a skill definately triggers upon initiating combat with a unit that has that skill equipped.

Edited by Selena4Lyfe

Ah yes, nitpicks, my favorite pastime.

No unique weapon/tonic icons - why not just reuse the ones from Awakening and then draw a few new ones for the new weapons?

Midoriko having green eyebrows in her character portrait which doesn't mesh well with a lot of other hair colors (in her My Room sprite her eyebrows are the same color as her hair).

Rinkah's fake abs.

Male Corrin's hair and most facial expressions.

Female Corrin's battle leotard.

Ryouma, the stern, simple samurai's flashy lobster armor.

Velour and Keaton looking much better pre-promotion.

Shuriken and Knives being a little too good, what with being able not only to double and crit, but also debuff and have various other strengths like being effective against armor and beasts.

Also, the victory poses for the female characters after the arena suit some, but just look unfitting on many others, especially Beruka, Hinoka and other characters that are supposed to be serious and, well, not anime girly.

Edited by Thane

The corpse of my Conquest!Camilla still rotting on the floor of the Rainbow Sage's temple from her encounter with Azama begs to differ. Between that and that other skill which inflicts half-damage dealt when he doesn't have a weapon caused her strike to OHKO her. (damned bastard dastard... :squeezedtangerine: ) Unless I'm missing something, that sucker of a skill definately triggers upon initiating combat with a unit that has that skill equipped.

I mean if the counter user initiates, and that's kinda my point, that the skill alone kills people when the user doesn't even have a weapon equipped.

I don't understand why they made such a gigantic jump with counter in the first place. In PoR and RD it was a chance to deal 1/2 damage received, and then in awakening they make it always deal full damage back. It's silly.

While clipping is certainly less common in this game than in Awakening (Pegasus/Sky Knight critical no longer has the lance clipping through their wings, for example), there's still a noticeable amount of it. Also, Priestess's bow victory pose has a glitchy model break at the shoulder that should really be fixed.

Also, weapon icons. And enemy-only range 1-2 weapons. Seriously I've hated enemy-only weapons in every Fire Emblem game they appear in and this example seems particularly bad. And what the hell is with Garon's range 1-3 personal axe?

Female Corrin's battle leotard in Nohr Noble/battle thong in Hoshido Noble. That's why she's currently a Swordmaster on my Birthright game, since at least they wear shorts.

Dragonstone proficiency doesn't follow Corrin across classes. That would've been a really cool touch imo. (She'd probably be running Priestess rather than Swordmaster right now if they had that.) It doesn't seem like that should particularly be a problem to implement, since Dragonstone's attack animations use a weapon-specific character model.

Edited by FlameUser64

I'll need more time to better articulate this, but the generic victory animations for each class can seem a bit unfitting for certain characters. I really wish each character sported their own custom animations to better fit their personalities.

Also, multiple crit animations. I've noticed that certain characters have multiple kill animations (mainly the sword wielders), but every character has only one critical move. It'd be cool to see multiple animations, just to get a better gist of how creative our army units can get with their killing.

Edited by Selena4Lyfe

I mean if the counter user initiates, and that's kinda my point, that the skill alone kills people when the user doesn't even have a weapon equipped.

I don't understand why they made such a gigantic jump with counter in the first place. In PoR and RD it was a chance to deal 1/2 damage received, and then in awakening they make it always deal full damage back. It's silly.

You can get around Counter and Countermagic by using bows, hand axes, javelins, any ranged melee weapon. Counter only activates if you're directly next to the person and Countermagic only triggers if you use magic. It's a pretty big weakness to an annoying set of skills.

You can get around Counter and Countermagic by using bows, hand axes, javelins, any ranged melee weapon. Counter only activates if you're directly next to the person and Countermagic only triggers if you use magic. It's a pretty big weakness to an annoying set of skills.

Except they nerfed the crap out of 1-2 range weapons that aren't named shuriken, further justifying the brokenness of ninjas.

I mean seriously, why do katanas give +1 Spd and -1Def/Res while shuriken give +2 Spd with no defense drop?!

Edited by cgRIPPER

Except they nerfed the crap out of 1-2 range weapons that aren't named shuriken, further justifying the brokenness of ninjas.

I mean seriously, why do katanas give +1 Spd and -1Def/Res while shuriken give +2 Spd with no defense drop?!

Yeah, shuriken are ridiculous. I really don't feel like -5 Hit for +2 Spd is a fair trade at all.

As for why katanas give +1 Spd and -1 Def/Res, they otherwise have the exact same stats as equivalent swords. Shuriken have -5 Hit when compared to equivalent daggers.