Annoying Niggling Nitpicks from a Snarky Nohrian Knight.

Selena4Lyfe

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can't capture retainers. Seriously, this would have made the prison system so cool! They could even only decide to join you if a certain character persuaded them.

This would be pretty absurd. These are not mercenaries with flexible loyalty and morality (unless you're Kaze), these are ROYAL retainers, people who have sworn their loyalty to their lord and will even die for them. It would strain credibility if they could be convinced to betray everything they know for you. All the cabbages in the world and Camilla's tits wouldn't be enough to buy their loyalty.

Just remembered a really nitpicky nitpick I have with the UI.

First, the bonus damage weapons have their icons to show what kinds of units they deal bonus damage to, but they didn't use those icons anywhere on the unit summary to tell the player which classes/characters fall under those categories. It doesn't really affect me, since I'm experienced enough to know by heart, but I can imagine how confused a new or intermediate player could be trying to figure it out through trial and error.

Right? I picked up on that immediately. I'm also bothered that relationships and support rankings are not listed. The second page of the status screen doesn't tell you meaningful information when it should.

-Certain class design choices (Looking at Fem!General and Fem!Cav specifically among others).

-The lack of unique weapon icons.

-The extreme lack of custom pallets. I mean even in FEA, most units had custom pallets for both of their base class promos, now we only have one, and some don't have any (Peri).

-The lack of a custom promo for Corrin in Rev. It makes no sense since you aren't fighting for Nohr or Hoshido so why should you become a noble of said countries.

-The lack of a Scarlet x Ryoma and Flora x Jakob supports.

-Continuing from above, the fact that if as a Male!MU you marry a non-corrinsexual first gen female, you are screwed out of a kid. This could easily have been fixed by the above since Scarlet and Ryoma actually have chemistry and Flora has a crush on Jakob and they a re presumably close since they work together.

-The bullshit explanation for allowing S ranking with the Hoshidan siblings. I also dislike being able to marry the Nohrian siblings.

-Having little to no warning for the end of B!Ch. 15 is you don't A rank Kaze.

-Furthering my annoyance with the above, the bullshit explanation for kids. Elise, who is like 12 (Shut up Leo), can have sex during the main story, get pregnant and give birth. You can say all you want about feeling weird for marrying off Rikcen, Lissa and Nowi, but at least they have children after the main plot presumably when they grow up. Only Chrom and his wife (Who are all older looking women minus Fem!MU build 2) have sex during the story.

-Conquest not actually following what was advertised. Revolutionizing a country from within my ass.

-How Corrin's dragon powers are never brought up ever again after Ch. 5. Why even bother existing?

-Tome animations on any class but Sorcerer, Dark Mage, Strategist and Onmyoji. You count staff animations on there too for most non-base class staff classes.

-Garndmaster, why are you male only!?

-E ranks upon promotion and or class change. It is frustrating. At least give us D rank upon promotion.

All of these, and in regards to the bolded, I can almost imagine the exchange with the Nohrian siblings after Kamui changes into a dragon:

Marx: Kamui, you...!? Got a new haircut?

Kamui: No, these are horns. Also, I'm a dragon.

Marx: Oh, okay.

Another thing that irks me is the fact that DLC skills cannot be bought at all. At the very least, they could just be buyable only from the Unit Logbook to save on grinding time (no need to farm a map).

I'm more bothered that they don't pass down to children. There is really no reason why they shouldn't be inherited as normal skills are.

Shinonome to Shiro. Kisaragi to Kiragi. Tsubaki to Subaki The last one two make me rage so damn hard, ya'll. Single letter changes. Two f*cking letters. I'm getting triggered.

You are not alone. Why we couldn't have at least Shino is a mystery for the ages.

- Lack of unique item icons

- Losing out on a kid if male Kamui doesn't marry a Corrinsexual

- Gender locking Great Lord and Grandmaster classes (and any class in general. I mean, they fix the problem and continue it at the same time).

- Corrinsexuals. If they don't get any more S-supports, they could at least get more platonic A-supports. Or any at all.

- Lack of voice blurbs during support conversations

- The critical cut-ins seem delayed and it irks me. I liked in Awakening how the critical face showed up right away rather than mid cut-in rather and stretched out screen wide rather than being shoved to one side in Fates.

- Lack of variety in Avatar creation. Awakening had less options in every aspect compared to Fates but still somehow had more variation. Speaking of Avatar creation, lack of tall female and small male build choices.

- Sakura's end of battle squatting animation. It looks weird.

- UI not showing Stat total and actual stats at the same time.

- UI not showing relationship statuses. Sometimes I forget who I paired with who

- Trying to pair up with a unit but they get healed instead.

- This might be broken, but I wish there was a "Take action, then move option" as well as "Move first, then action."

- Generic endings

And a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting

Ya know, an image I just saw on Memebase (Thanks RedRob), just made me realize just why Setsumi's constant getting trapped is an annoyance. There's nothing else done with it.

Look at this image, for instance.

e62.png

Now yes, she's caught up in the snare, as she is wont to do. However, what else do y'all notice about this image?

She's elevated. What's more, she still has her bow and arrow on hand, and I'm gonna assume her arrow holster is also still on her person, as I doubt she'd be dumb enough to only hold one arrow while on patrol. What I'm getting at is that she could be a person who's clumsy with getting into traps, but still is able to improvise ways to take advantage of her inconvenient ensnarement. I think she'd be in a pretty prime position for bagging some game kills while in that net, so long as she's relatively silent in shifting her weight around and said game doesn't happen to look up when within a quarter mile of her.

- This might be broken, but I wish there was a "Take action, then move option" as well as "Move first, then action."

Yeah I wish we got Canto back too...

This would be pretty absurd. These are not mercenaries with flexible loyalty and morality (unless you're Kaze), these are ROYAL retainers, people who have sworn their loyalty to their lord and will even die for them. It would strain credibility if they could be convinced to betray everything they know for you. All the cabbages in the world and Camilla's tits wouldn't be enough to buy their loyalty.

I'm not saying that ALL of the retainers should be capturable, but imagine capturing Saizo in Conquest and having to have Kaze specifically persuade him multiple times. I could see that happening, especially with what happens in Conquest 17(?) (Den of Betrayal). Or Arthur, I could see there being some way to get him to eventually see your choice as being just. Maybe even successfully persuading them doesn't recruit them, but they give you their named weapon or a stat-booster etc. and then you release them with some kind of mutual understanding that each will fight for what they believe in. There's just soooo much lost potential in the prison.

I'm not saying that ALL of the retainers should be capturable, but imagine capturing Saizo in Conquest and having to have Kaze specifically persuade him multiple times. I could see that happening, especially with what happens in Conquest 17(?) (Den of Betrayal). Or Arthur, I could see there being some way to get him to eventually see your choice as being just. Maybe even successfully persuading them doesn't recruit them, but they give you their named weapon or a stat-booster etc. and then you release them with some kind of mutual understanding that each will fight for what they believe in. There's just soooo much lost potential in the prison.

I agree on the lost potential. I think there should have been a way to get special equipment or items from capturing key units. Of course, if that unit shows up in the story later, they can't be sitting in your jail. How about getting ransom money by capturing and returning prisoners?

I agree on the lost potential. I think there should have been a way to get special equipment or items from capturing key units. Of course, if that unit shows up in the story later, they can't be sitting in your jail. How about getting ransom money by capturing and returning prisoners?

Yeah, that would have worked too. I was thinking that if someone reappears in another map that you'd go to check your prison in that chapter and they'd have escaped lol.

Or you convince Laslow in birthright with basically any female character

Or you convince Laslow in birthright with basically any female character

Lmao, so truuuuue though! Too bad Soleil doesn't exist without the help of www.corrinmatchmaking.com. If she did, she would probably be similar.

Velour's personality.

She's so powerful and so adorable, but she's just so friggin' weird. It really bothers me.

Also it annoys me that Yumi are stronger than bows and I think the castle with the big rock in the middle is pretty dumb.

Edited by Ginkgo

I can see that not working for say Niles or Effie, since they owe their lord their life and are their lord's best friend respectively, but I think that Laslow, Odin and Selena should have been recruitable on Birthright, either through this or in general. They're the royal retainers with the least ties to their rulers/nations, and

they're going to leave after the events of the game anyway, so what do they care for credibility?

I'm probably gonna get a lot flak for this but, the exclusion of skinship from the localized version.

Say all you want about how weird touching your comrades faces, a lot of skinship had genuine character development that has since gone because of its exclusion. Now a lot of characters, with it gone, feel more 2D IMO.

Not gonna lie tho, this mainly concerns Niles since I am very disapoint they removed his more touching and emotional lines from skinship

I'm probably gonna get a lot flak for this but, the exclusion of skinship from the localized version.

Say all you want about how weird touching your comrades faces, a lot of skinship had genuine character development that has since gone because of its exclusion. Now a lot of characters, with it gone, feel more 2D IMO.

Not gonna lie tho, this mainly concerns Niles since I am very disapoint they removed his more touching and emotional lines from skinship

I'm not going to give you flak, but while some comments did indeed go lost (and let's face it, not all of them were good; Pieri's "look at my tits, they're huge!" line being one of many bad ones, not to mention the majority were just moans or groans of discomfort), it also removed a very uncomfortable element of the game that just reduced the characters to what I can only describe as dolls. The fact that you can invite Beruka or Rinkah to your little treehouse and start petting them is just strange.

The changes made to Niles in general annoyed me a lot too. His original S Support with M!Kamui was actually pretty sweet, and removing a lot of his lines showing vulnerability and emotion was just detrimental.

Speaking of Supports, I wish the fixed royal kids (Kiragi, Shiro, Forrest, and Siegbert) had supports with their uncles and aunts who aren't Kamui. It would be good development for everyone involved, and would give us actual cross-generation supports that aren't parent-child or Kamui-related. (I seem to just want more supports in general, really.)

Another nitpick: The artist used a very distinct way to shade the character portraits. Several of Corrrinmui's hairs do not have the same shading—as a matter of fact, only the two default, promotional hairstyles have it. This really is a nitpick but it takes me out of the game, more so than a lot of the other things, when I look at my character's portrait in comparison to the others; it's like the game is sending subliminal messages to get me to choose those horrendous default hairs.

Like, if I don't choose those hairs, my Corrinmui does not belong. We are legion.

EDIT: Someone made a thread about it but also Mitama's portrait is weird, as well. There are some size inconsistencies with her body in comparison to the other characters and something is different with the outlining of her hair in comparison to her body.

Yeeeees. I noticed both of those things ages ago and they've been bugging me ever since. Some of the characters are also drawn in slightly different styles to the most used one (Saizou and Hinoka come to mind) and it takes away from my immersion. C'mon, Kozaki, please draw a little more consistantly. ;_;

Edited by Matt-hue

I'm not going to give you flak, but while some comments did indeed go lost (and let's face it, not all of them were good; Pieri's "look at my tits, they're huge!" line being one of many bad ones, not to mention the majority were just moans or groans of discomfort), it also removed a very uncomfortable element of the game that just reduced the characters to what I can only describe as dolls. The fact that you can invite Beruka or Rinkah to your little treehouse and start petting them is just strange.

Did Scarlet's skinshipping dialogue deal with asking the Avatar to stargaze with her afterwards? It feels appropriate with as comfortable with Corrin as she got.

Also, I understand...maybe-kinda-sorta-not-really that Asian communities value physical contact more than western nations, but I find it odd that they couldn't have incorporated other ways to interact with their army. There's a bookshelf in Corrin's room, for instance, and according to Elise and Xander, the former is reading through a book dealing with how to foster peace. Annoyingly, it's a book that sounds a bit juvenile on the subject, but still. Why can't we have Elise and Corrin discussing the contents of the latter's library? There are board games in this world, according to the Selena/Leo supports. Why not have the Avatar play a game of chess or whatever with certain characters? I dunno if a full-on minigame would work, but something small that would still allow for additional conversations would be great, and it'd make for a much more natural fostering of those conversations...

Someone validate my silly ideas, dammit, it feels uncomfy not getting any kind of critique!

Edited by Selena4Lyfe

Did Scarlet's skinshipping dialogue deal with asking the Avatar to stargaze with her afterwards? It feels appropriate with as comfortable with Corrin as she got.

Also, I understand...maybe-kinda-sorta-not-really that Asian communities value physical contact more than western nations, but I find it odd that they couldn't have incorporated other ways to interact with their army. There's a bookshelf in Corrin's room, for instance, and according to Elise and Xander, the former is reading through a book dealing with how to foster peace. Annoyingly, it's a book that sounds a bit juvenile on the subject, but still. Why can't we have Elise and Corrin discussing the contents of the latter's library? There are board games in this world, according to the Selena/Leo supports. Why not have the Avatar play a game of chess or whatever with certain characters? I dunno if a full-on minigame would work, but something small that would still allow for additional conversations would be great, and it'd make for a much more natural fostering of those conversations...

Someone validate my silly ideas, dammit, it feels uncomfy not getting any kind of critique!

That sounds incredibly unfamiliar; what I've heard is that the Japanese are in general averse to physical contact, especially with strangers.

Even if that wouldn't be true, I don't think there are many cultures in the world where you invite the most stoic, distant and independent people to your treehouse to touch their faces.

As plenty have mentionned, I hate being stuck on E ranked weapons when I promote or class change a character. Unless you have a (annoyingly rare) arms scroll, you're forced to grind with brass/raider weapons forever until you can finally equip something useful.

My Castle would have been perfect for reimplementing base conversations from PoR and RD. People really seem to underestimate how much those short little skits flushed out the characters and story.

There's no reward for maxing your bond with your S rank partner... it just resets the meter... like wut?

1. Even Radiant Dawn still had them after cutting support conversations. I do miss base conversations a lot. Without them, it feels that only half a dozen or so characters have any sort of relevance in your army.

2. I had a long sigh after finding that out for myself. Such a letdown, all that face blowing and slugabed awakening was for nothing.

I still think they should have replaced the skinship with that mini game from Huniepop. I don't care what anyone says—that mini game is addicting, consuming and a challenge.

On a serious note, the My Room segment of the game feels very shallow without a replacement of the skinship. Yes, there are many that thought its removal was for the best and, yes, it was very much like Pokamie, which I did admittedly ignore after a while due to its tediousness—but My Room itself feels hollow with nothing there. We get the same repeated lines about jack shit and—that's it.

I myself was neutral to the skinship because I did not think of it in terms of the characters being real life people—it was just a function used while playing the game. Just because I rubbed my characters in game (LOL, that innuendo) does not mean I wake up everyday and rub faces of people I do not know. Granted, in-universe rubbing the faces of certain units makes no sense but, again, I actually didn't think that far. They kept it in, in a very minimal form to wake your spouse up and blowing on your spouse but—eh.

That's just me, I guess.

(Addressing something I forgot to address in my other post, woo.)

Actually, (and I might be wrong about this), wasn't the only thing they removed the actual skinship minigame itself (and I guess the lines for if you messed it up)? I thought the lines were still there if you invite an A-Supported ally to to your room to fill up their heart gauge a la Bonding with your spouse. Alas, the removal of Niles' more touching lines seems to have been an actifve decision on Treehouse's part.

(Addressing something I forgot to address in my other post, woo.)

Actually, (and I might be wrong about this), wasn't the only thing they removed the actual skinship minigame itself (and I guess the lines for if you messed it up)? I thought the lines were still there if you invite an A-Supported ally to to your room to fill up their heart gauge a la Bonding with your spouse. Alas, the removal of Niles' more touching lines seems to have been an actifve decision on Treehouse's part.

There are still lines, but they are very short one-liners and most of the extra personality that some brought (Ala Niles) was removed or never mentioned. Most of the lines mainly reflect the character's core personality or are just phrases that depending on the person can be taken as sly little innuendo Treehouse put in for the lolz (Like Peri with the sandwich thing that many thought of as sexual).

That sounds incredibly unfamiliar; what I've heard is that the Japanese are in general averse to physical contact, especially with strangers.

Even if that wouldn't be true, I don't think there are many cultures in the world where you invite the most stoic, distant and independent people to your treehouse to touch their faces.

They don't like PDA (of the romantic sort) but try working in a Japanese Junior Highschool and it's ALL THE HOMO for physical contact between friends. You'd be correct, however, in that touching people you barely know would be highly inappropriate.

Male Corrin and Female Corrin having the same/very similar supports up until S bothers me. Not romantic conversation, not romantic conversation, not romantic conversation, then "I love you, let's get married!" conversation. I understand that that would be a lot of dialogue, but still. :S

Also, what someone mentioned about dragon Corrin. No one in Nohr notices? Or cares? And it's never brought up again in either Birthright or Conquest? They bothered to make an animated cutscene out of it!