Power Master 1: A Strange Journey [IT'S FINALLY HERE!]

Alex95

Finally! I can now finally say that my first game, Power Master 1: A Strange Journey, is OUT! It’s here!

Click here to download the game!

Power Master 1: A Strange Journey spent almost eight years in the making. The original idea was planned out in 2008 and was finalized on paper in 2011. Since then, it went through several designs in different programs, such as Unity, before being developed for the RPG Maker VX Ace engine. This game was made with the original plans in mind and was kept as true to the source material as possible. Within this time-frame, Power Masters 2 and 3 were also finalized on paper, and development on Power Master 2 will start soon.

This is kind of a bittersweet moment for me, really. I spent a good portion of my life working on this first game of mine, and now it is done! I feel proud, accomplished, and upset all at the same time. I no longer have to work on this game anymore, but that doesn’t mean I’m done. I still have many more ideas…

Synopsis

Begin the adventure of a new journey. Take control of your party and save the world as it is once again under attack from the revived wizard, Exitilus. His goal: Obtain all 26 of the wish-granting Gems that reside in the land of Moneo. Collect them all before he does and then take the fight to him! Journey through towns in any order, which consists of forests, large buildings, volcanoes, everlasting mazes, deserts, spaceships, alternate dimensions, mountains, and more! Choose your path wisely, as some towns are higher in difficulty than others. Level up by defeating enemies to get stronger and learn new skills, and equip the strongest weapons and armor to get stronger still!

You’ll encounter enemies such as swordsmen, witches, giant clocks, aliens, and even yourself!

Though that remains your main goal, there are many people who need your help. Take on quests given by the residents of Moneo and receive a reward for the detour. Many secrets are hidden away in Moneo, as well. Burn trees and blow up mountainsides to uncover rare treasure and maybe even a new dungeon!

You are the descendant of the original heroes who defeated Exitilus a thousand years ago. Live up to your lineage, but you don’t have to go it alone. Three others will join you when you find them: a warrior, a digger, and your cousin. Explore this new world and learn everything there is to know about it! Both you and your character are seeing this world for the first time, so gain knowledge, friends, experience, and soon nothing will stand in your way.

The game plays and takes inspiration from older role-playing games, such as Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy. It contains many fantasy-like elements, such as swords, dragons, an expansive overworld, and quirky dialogue. Learn new skills to get the edge on your foes and gather Info Cards to learn more about the enemies you’ve faced! If you need to get around faster, use the Gems you collect for a quick warp to its respective town.

Travel a new world, make new friends, and live the start of a long and strange journey.

Secret Code!

Here’s a little secret for you guys. Input name “Minimode” at the name entry screen for a different take on the adventure! Code is case sensitive.

Characters

These characters can be swapped around based on the player’s beginning decision, which slightly affects the game and story.

• Stephan: The “Boy 1” option. Cannot use magic, so he relies mainly on offensive tactics. Uses swords, shields, bows, and axes.
  • Jennifer: The “Girl 1” option. The quickest in the game and has both offensive and status inducing/recovery skills. Uses swords, shields, bows, and magic.
  • Hamilton: The “Boy 2” option. The strongest in the game and is capable of wielding two weapons instead of one. Uses swords, axes, and magic.
  • Helen: The “Girl 2” option. Not the strongest character, so she relies mainly on defensive and helpful skills. Uses whips, magic, bows, and shields.

Controls

Arrow Keys – Move character/highlight command/etc.

Z Key – Select/Activate/Open/Talk/etc.

X Key – Menu (when in the field)/Cancel (when in menus)

Shift Key – Hold to run

Alt+Enter – Full Screen

• 306 maps!
  • 141 items!
  • 118 weapons!
  • 109 individual enemies and bosses!
  • 48 pieces of armor!
  • 26 towns and dungeons!
  • 8 years in the making!
  • 4 playable characters!
  • 1 massive game!

[spoiler=Screenshots]Power%20Master%201%20Logo%204.png

Fora%20Forest.pngEora%20Dungeon.pngTora%20Tree.pngLora%20Grotto.png

Credits

Game Design, Character Concepts, & Dialogue Alexander Bodine

Custom Portraits & Title Screen Art Geoffrey Bodine

Battlers Geoffrey & Alexander Bodine

Beta Testers Zachary Etherington

Spencer Bodine

Scott Smith

Special Thanks Pam Kuhn

Doug Bodine

Michelle Bodine

And all the rest of my friends, family, and the fantastic people on the RPG Maker forums who helped and supported me to make this game

This game was created using assets, such as music and sprites, created by the engines RPG Maker XP, VX Ace, and MV.

©2004-2016 Enterbrain/Degica/Kadokawa Games

Program created by ASCII

The land Andrabax and the characters therein are creations of Geoffrey Bodine and the character Marceus is a creation of Edgar Gobo.

The Party-Based Graphics script was created by Hime.

The large tree used for Tora Tree was created by Celianna.

The Basic Side-view Battle script was created by Fomar0153.

All other properties are properties of their respective owners.

© 2016 Fictional Dungeon Productions

POWER MASTER 1: A STRANGE JOURNEY

www.facebook.com/PowerMasterRPG

www.powermastergame.webs.com

www.rpgmakerweb.com

I hope you all enjoy this game! I spent a long time on it!

Got any questions or comments? Tell me in this thread!

Edited by Power Master

Update data Version 1.1:

• Fixed bug where Moneo does not appear
  • Included the RPG Maker VX Ace project data
  • Removed unneeded and unused graphics/events/music
  • Various cosmetic changes
Edited by Power Master

Hey there, I can see you've put a lot of effort and time into this game. However, from playing the first section, I feel that there are several issues that need addressing.

For a start, the map design feels too large and empty. Many of the accessible areas are mostly open space which unfortunately just means you spend more time walking around. I would heavily recommend scaling houses and indoor areas down.There are also a couple of spelling errors in the script which should probably be corrected. I am unsure if the custom graphical assets meld very well with RPGmaker's defaults, there is a disparity in quality between the original sprites and the new ones that you've produced. Otherwise the game seems reasonable enough, albeit with a relatively simple plot and battle system.

There also seems to be a game-crashing error once you leave the town from the north after the temple section. This means unfortunately it is not possible to progress in the game.

I hope very much that you are able to address these issues and I wish you the best of luck with your project.

Hey there, I can see you've put a lot of effort and time into this game. However, from playing the first section, I feel that there are several issues that need addressing.

For a start, the map design feels too large and empty. Many of the accessible areas are mostly open space which unfortunately just means you spend more time walking around. I would heavily recommend scaling houses and indoor areas down.There are also a couple of spelling errors in the script which should probably be corrected. I am unsure if the custom graphical assets meld very well with RPGmaker's defaults, there is a disparity in quality between the original sprites and the new ones that you've produced. Otherwise the game seems reasonable enough, albeit with a relatively simple plot and battle system.

I was a little worried as to how the space would feel. I wanted the forest to feel large, but I guess I made it a little TOO large. The original idea for the buildings was just a simple, small, bare room with the resident. I wanted to improve on that, but I understand.

The graphics do look a little odd, don't they? I wanted to make the character sprites as close to the original character design as possible. Due to the different style that my brother uses, it looks a bit different than the standard RPG Maker equivalent. I say it certainly matches the game title, though. :P:

And yes, the plot is simple. Go thirteen-year-old me! As for the battle system, I'm learning my way through scripting, but I felt I should keep it somewhat basic for the first game so I have something to improve upon later. I also didn't want to damage anything...

There also seems to be a game-crashing error once you leave the town from the north after the temple section. This means unfortunately it is not possible to progress in the game.

I hope very much that you are able to address these issues and I wish you the best of luck with your project.

Yeesh. I am not able to find the error. The event that takes you out of town looks to see if you have the Gem the Silver Knight gives you. If not, it'll just make you take a step back. If you use the Gem, you should be able to warp out of town, but you have to talk to your grandfather, Fora, in order to progress anyway.

According to the Silver Knight event, it does give you the Gem in all the possible options, and the exit is set to take you out of town. I'll look more into this, but any additional input, such as what happens, is appreciated. :)

Edited by Power Master

Did it... Did it not generate the main overworld? ...

...I will re-render the game and re-upload it after checking everything again. See if that fixes it...

Thanks for the heads-up, though!

Also, it's come to my attention that transferring the demo file over to the main game won't work too well. Some events are not recorded in the demo.

EDIT: There is apparently something wrong with the bitmap coding, which it didn't have a problem with until now. I have sent for help and will update later.

Edited by Power Master

e9297fb639f0e9d3a1ed3e60a5aeda46.png

Using the gem or trying to exit the town after speaking to the old guy results in this error message and a fatal crash.

Alright, I fixed the problem! I had to include the main project itself in the file, but that's totally fine with me. Now anyone with RPG Maker VX Ace installed can see what went into this game! (Just as long as no one tries to claim any of it as their own. Not only are my creations in there, the regular RPG Maker stuff is as well).

Transfer your game file over to the updated project and continue on your journey!

https://powermaster.itch.io/power-master-1-a-strange-journey

If there are anymore problems, please let me know! I assume you, I will never make a map this big again, at least with the RPG Maker engines.

And I tried. I reeeeally tried NOT to have any updates with this game, but I guess it was inevitable...

Edited by Power Master

Hey, I've played the game for about an hour, managed to get a half dozen gems but I don't think I'll be playing any more.

The storyline is incredibly simple, and doesn't seem to really be much more than "find these shiny things, stop the bad guys". It's hard to find the motivation to rescue these things when there's so little premise. Especially when the twenty+ old men seem so bad at looking after them. Each village seems so isolated, so it feels like you're just jumping around all the time when it comes to gameplay. There's a lot of errors in maps, I can walk through a lot of objects I shouldn't be able to. The naming system of the towns is a little cringe-worthy, as are the giant letters engraved in each town.

Gameplay wise, it's really easy to stumble into an area where enemies one-shot you. Especially in the overworld, where it gets tedious having to wander around. Maps are all far too big, the empty space is really offputting. Being able to roam freely also means you can go to a high level town and buy weapons then ace the others, and getting a +500 HP item when my guys only had 100 HP made things boring.

It's clear you've spent a lot of time making this, but there are quite a few flaws that would probably need addressing if you were to embark on any other projects.

Hey, I've played the game for about an hour, managed to get a half dozen gems but I don't think I'll be playing any more.

The storyline is incredibly simple, and doesn't seem to really be much more than "find these shiny things, stop the bad guys". It's hard to find the motivation to rescue these things when there's so little premise. Especially when the twenty+ old men seem so bad at looking after them. Each village seems so isolated, so it feels like you're just jumping around all the time when it comes to gameplay. There's a lot of errors in maps, I can walk through a lot of objects I shouldn't be able to. The naming system of the towns is a little cringe-worthy, as are the giant letters engraved in each town.

Yeah, I knew the story was going to be simple. That's what was intended; a call-back to the simple times or older RPGs. Or I tried, at least.

The "pun" on the game is that the Guardians don't do a good job at "guarding" the Gems, but there is one or two that do their job. Mainly because the dungeon I had planed for that level (Wora) didn't work out too well. While the villages may seem lacking, I was more focused on getting the levels to work and look good.

And you can walk through things? In some places you are supposed to do that, but I'll look over it again.

...I thought the naming system and giant letters would be funny...

Gameplay wise, it's really easy to stumble into an area where enemies one-shot you. Especially in the overworld, where it gets tedious having to wander around. Maps are all far too big, the empty space is really offputting. Being able to roam freely also means you can go to a high level town and buy weapons then ace the others, and getting a +500 HP item when my guys only had 100 HP made things boring.

It's clear you've spent a lot of time making this, but there are quite a few flaws that would probably need addressing if you were to embark on any other projects.

In a game where you can go anywhere you want, the difficulty kinda fluctuates. You may encounter an area where enemies are too strong or too weak. It's just a matter of finding the right path and how you do things is up to you. It's difficult to get the right "measurement" of difficulty.

I tried to put a lot of content into the game, such as secret items and areas, quests, and something for everyone to enjoy. But it's stressful when I'm making a game on my own; I don't have anyone to consult with (aside from my brothers), any idea is pretty much mine and I have to find a place to put it or discard it entirely, balancing issues, etc. I hope you continue to play the game at some point and find everything the game has to offer, and I will take the insight into consideration.