A Sardonic Look at Fire Emblem Fates

Leif

Meh, Azura can die an old maid. :P:

So, remember how an interracial couple would be treated, 100 years ago? Nowadays, telling your parents "hey I'm dating someone of another race" is a lot less likely to result in disapproval/being disowned/worse (won't speak for all families out there, but if societal disapproval today was anything like it was a century ago, I wouldn't see so many mixed-race kids around). My hope is that a century from now, a same-sex couple will be treated with a similar "oh that's nice" that an interracial couple gets. That's what I meant by normalization.

829.png

U fukin wot m8?! I dun care if ur a mod, I'll smak u in the gabber I swer on me mum!

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

829.png

U fukin wot m8?! I dun care if ur a mod, I'll smak u in the gabber I swer on me mum!

Pfft, you should be overjoyed. It means I'M not marrying her. YOU marry her if you like her so much.

I don't care for her presentation, whether it be the dress with the too-high slit, or

how the story shifts focus to her and Corrin in Valla. Like, the two warring factions don't matter any more? IMO they should, because even though they've called a truce, it doesn't mean that everything between the nations have been patched up.

I'm not fond of Azura. . .so people like YOU will need to make up the deficit. I'm counting on you.

Pfft, you should be overjoyed. It means I'M not marrying her. YOU marry her if you like her so much.

I don't care for her presentation, whether it be the dress with the too-high slit, or

how the story shifts focus to her and Corrin in Valla. Like, the two warring factions don't matter any more? IMO they should, because even though they've called a truce, it doesn't mean that everything between the nations have been patched up.

I'm not fond of Azura. . .so people like YOU will need to make up the deficit. I'm counting on you.

Not good enough! Repent, ye heretic and know the joy our Water Goddess can bring you! The power of the waifu compels you!

Edited by Phillius

Not good enough! Repent, ye heretic and know the joy our Water Goddess can bring you! The power of the waifu compels you!

I don't swing that way. Unlike Rhajat.

(and while Niles is the better character, and the gender I'm attracted to, I feel that his background is no excuse for his behavior. . .at least Corrin can get away with some of his/her shenanigans on the base of ignorance of the outside world)

Trust me, I get that Niles was toned down and I don't really have a problem with Niles as a character. I just wish he weren't the only gay option. I like that he's chippy and cold towards others due to his horrible past, but I didn't appreciate the innuendos he'd thrust at Mozu (which is especially bad since she's looks 15) and Arthur in their respective supports. I guess I take issue with having LGBT characters with overly deviant qualities. Not all gays are like that.

You said that you liked how Forrest was handled, no? Did you see how Leo was embarrassed by him and acted cruelly towards him at first, but then feels ashamed for shaming his son? That's a nice character arc is it not? It really adds depth to Leo (I believe that he is the best-written character in the game) as well as Forrest, to an extent. I was hoping for something similar in the gay S support or have other people reacting to said gay couple. I think its OK to show people overcoming prejudices.

Anyways, I'm starting Chapter 26 in Revelation right now. Good lord, I didn't expect THAT to happen. Chapter 27 is the last chapter correct?

I still have 20 children to collect, and that annoys me slightly. -_-

Honestly, i would have preferred if Leo hadnt acted that way because it really almost made me dislike him. (and it made me a bit uncomfortable) But alas. Sure, it added depth, but im not sure it was really necessary considering the laws of that world do not say that men must conform. (I mean come on, guys like Iago exist lol) Seeing how everyone else in the game doesnt treat Forrest like a trap and speak to him like a human being with nothing wrong with him at all, its nice. Thats more along what i meant.

Bolded, No, but people come in all shapes and forms. And a good look into his character shows that he doesnt have as many distinctions as most people anyway. I guess its hard to see Niles as anything more than a person based on his supports. He really is written well compared to so many in the game.

829.png

My gods, i nearly choked from laughing.

(and while Niles is the better character, and the gender I'm attracted to, I feel that his background is no excuse for his behavior. . .at least Corrin can get away with some of his/her shenanigans on the base of ignorance of the outside world)

Have you seen his supports with Oboro? She kinda reams the fuck out of him about this. A lot.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

I'm part of some people that believed it did. However they undermined the whole third faction a little too much.[...]

Except they did undermine the idea of a third faction from the start.

Post-Revelations Valla will be slightly larger population wise than Cheve, and will primarily be populated by Corrin, Azura (assuming she's the Queen, since in every other ending she disappears again----why I don't know), Corrin's significant other if Azura is not queen, and what few Vallite soldiers survive that haven't been slaughtered by the Nohrian and Hoshidan armies campaign during Revelations.

And this assumes that these Vallite soldiers can:

a.) Recover from their minds being likely permanently ravaged/altered

b.) Swear fealty to the new leaders of Valla, and not just jump ship and defect to Nohr/Hoshido or become mercenaries/bandits.

c.) Can rebuild their nation with Vallite faceless (like Anthony), who assuming at least some of them retain sentience/sanity/a sense of identity

And the result (as I see it) is this mysterious third faction, Valla, being populated by psychotics/recovering psychotics, mutants/not!orcs/faceless, two young leaders, one of which being the successors of a God-Tyrant and the other a cryptic daughter of the late Queen, and having to overcome the logistical nightmare of rebuilding a nation that as disconnected as Dalaran or Nagrand. And to be honest that portrayal of Valla post-Revelations sounds awesome, but it's less of a powerful, rivaling third faction that the game promised, and more of a moderately populated village populated by radically different survivors of a terrible war.

As hyped up as Valla is, it suffers from the same problem Nohr has: an amazing premise that is ruined by the game only superficially trying to portray the faction, and barely explaining the politics of the faction or how it actually operates/functions/what it's culture is. In fact, at least Nohr has "generic Europe" going for it, and Hoshido has "generic Japan" going for it----------I don't know what Valla was supposed to be based on. Greece? Rome? Carthage, maybe? There's not enough information about it to draw any definitive idea about what Valla was/is one way or the other.

Edited by Hoshidoooont

And the result (as I see it) is this mysterious third faction, Valla, being populated by psychotics/recovering psychotics, mutants/not!orcs/faceless, two young leaders, one of which being the successors of a God-Tyrant and the other a cryptic daughter of the late Queen, and having to overcome the logistical nightmare of rebuilding a nation that as disconnected as Dalaran or Nagrand. And to be honest that portrayal of Valla post-Revelations sounds awesome, but it's less of a powerful, rivaling third faction that the game promised, and more of a moderately populated village populated by radically different survivors of a terrible war.

Will post-Revelations Valla be small? Probably.

Will it only be populated by who you said? Not necessarily.

Perhaps there's people within Hoshido/Nohr that want to start anew, and see opportunity in Valla. We don't know any of the physical characteristics of Valla - maybe there's arable farm land, or rich mines, or. . .well, SOMETHING to draw people to it (unlikely, but not completely out of the realm of possibility). Perhaps Corrin will build some sort of grand library, and turn Valla into the Land of Sages or something like that. Regardless, it's a new country, which means that people from the other countries/territories might settle down there for whatever reason. Corrin will probably require assistance from Hoshido/Nohr, initially, but assuming that he/she actually learns and grows a spine and all that, Valla might prosper.

As hyped up as Valla is, it suffers from the same problem Nohr has: an amazing premise that is ruined by the game only superficially trying to portray the faction, and barely explaining the politics of the faction or how it actually operates/functions/what it's culture is. In fact, at least Nohr has "generic Europe" going for it, and Hoshido has "generic Japan" going for it----------I don't know what Valla was supposed to be based on. Greece? Rome? Carthage, maybe? There's not enough information about it to draw any definitive idea about what Valla was/is one way or the other.

Didn't the devs say they based it off India?

Will post-Revelations Valla be small? Probably.

Will it only be populated by who you said? Not necessarily.

Perhaps there's people within Hoshido/Nohr that want to start anew, and see opportunity in Valla. We don't know any of the physical characteristics of Valla - maybe there's arable farm land, or rich mines, or. . .well, SOMETHING to draw people to it (unlikely, but not completely out of the realm of possibility). Perhaps Corrin will build some sort of grand library, and turn Valla into the Land of Sages or something like that. Regardless, it's a new country, which means that people from the other countries/territories might settle down there for whatever reason. Corrin will probably require assistance from Hoshido/Nohr, initially, but assuming that he/she actually learns and grows a spine and all that, Valla might prosper.

I wish Fates had an epilogue that more directly alluded to the fate of Valla, what you describe sounds awesome. When I finished Conquest there were multiple comments about the fate of Nohr several decades into the future, as well as how heroes of Conquest were viewed by people several generations into the future. I never got that with Valla--------but like the fact that it's apparently based on India, maybe there were some things that just flew over my head.

Conquest!Kaze, for instance, is why I cannot bring myself to like him as a character. There's zero excuse for doing what he did.

Don't see this get brought up often. I too really dislike Kaze. What he does in Conquest is a real scumbag move and he doesn't get called out for it(just like some other characters i guess).

Because of that I can't bring myself to like him in the other routes either.

To me, Conquest's finale will never represent victory. Not only because of the multitude of missed opportunities, but because you steamrolled a peaceful nation because the main character was too gutless and stupid to find another solution, and the deuteragonist was mildly held back by a plot device so bad it makes the Blood Pact look like Shakespeare, and now you're celebrating the fact that the nation filled with puppy kickers has a new king who willingly took part in the massacre. The ending made me feel disgusted for all the wrong reasons.

*Cue in Xander's peace speech*

Right now I am watching a playthrough of Conquest and I can't believe what I am seeing. Garon's plan to invade Hoshido is imperialistic and the fact that Corrin decides to go along with it without thinking of other options to reveal Garon makes them look like less of a sympathetic character in my eyes. Can someone please explain to me why people still love Conquest!Corrin even when a arc like this exists? I finished watching chapter 22 and 23 and Conquest!Corrin officially lost me. Kaze has been making me mad too and Azura is getting held back by a terribly done curse and bad writing. Who thought this arc was a good idea?

Edited by Frelia

Right now I am watching a playthrough of Conquest and I can't believe what I am seeing. Garon's plan to invade Hoshido is imperialistic and the fact that Corrin decides to go along with it without thinking of other options to reveal Garon makes them look like less of a sympathetic character in my eyes. Can someone please explain to me why people still love Conquest!Corrin even when a arc like this exists? I finished watching chapter 22 and 23 and Conquest!Corrin officially lost me. Kaze has been making me mad too and Azura is getting held back by a terribly done curse and bad writing. Who thought this arc was a good idea?

Because Birthright and Revelations exist. Doesn't mean I love Corrin in Conquest, but I feel he's handled better than the other two routes.

I wouldn't mind the imperialistic invasion, if only the game acknowledged and embraced it somehow instead of trying to make it look like a sacrifice on Corrin's part and how much good she will do with this...

Chapter 22-23 is when the story started working for me again, as I really felt for Sakura and Takumi at the end of them and your decisions (or lack of them) were starting to show consequences and having more emotional impact. 24-25 were ok, but then 26-27 and Endgame happened...

Edited by Lanko

Chapter 22-23 is when the story started working for me again, as I really felt for Sakura and Takumi at the end of them and your decisions (or lack of them) were starting to show consequences and having more emotional impact. 24-25 were ok, but then 26-27 and Endgame happened...

I'unno, it all felt very contrived to me. I won't try to change your opinion, but in my opinion all of Conquest (and Revelation as well for that matter) flows unnaturally. Your little vanguard rages across Hoshido and the only real army and obstacle you face is under Takumi; Ryouma and Hinoka have their bands of elites just chilling at the capital.

The dialogue and its timing are, as usual, horrible as well, two prime examples being between Yukimura and Sakura, and later Camilla and Hinoka. The supposed brilliant tactician of Hoshido allows an inexperienced princess to fight even though they don't have a proper force (I believe?); if she were to die it'd be awful for morale, and if she were kidnapped, Garon could use her as a bargaining chip, but he relents because...she wants to fight, which she could've done later together with her siblings if she had just retreated. Even though Garon personally shows up, the screen fades to black and we're just told that Sakura is now our prisoner because...Iago and Hans are afraid of Xander, but what about Garon?

The Camilla and Hinoka line is just...I don't know who thought it'd be a good idea to have Camilla flirting with her in the middle of an invasion and Hinoka, having been defeated, had her home invaded and being taunted by Corrin for no real reason, blushing.

I'unno, it all felt very contrived to me. I won't try to change your opinion, but in my opinion all of Conquest (and Revelation as well for that matter) flows unnaturally. Your little vanguard rages across Hoshido and the only real army and obstacle you face is under Takumi; Ryouma and Hinoka have their bands of elites just chilling at the capital.

The dialogue and its timing are, as usual, horrible as well, two prime examples being between Yukimura and Sakura, and later Camilla and Hinoka. The supposed brilliant tactician of Hoshido allows an inexperienced princess to fight even though they don't have a proper force (I believe?); if she were to die it'd be awful for morale, and if she were kidnapped, Garon could use her as a bargaining chip, but he relents because...she wants to fight, which she could've done later together with her siblings if she had just retreated. Even though Garon personally shows up, the screen fades to black and we're just told that Sakura is now our prisoner because...Iago and Hans are afraid of Xander, but what about Garon?

The Camilla and Hinoka line is just...I don't know who thought it'd be a good idea to have Camilla flirting with her in the middle of an invasion and Hinoka, having been defeated, had her home invaded and being taunted by Corrin for no real reason, blushing.

Because Anime?

I agree with everything you said, even though this kind of thing happens in pretty much every FE game (and many other games), as you defeat enemy leaders one by one so we can have bosses for each map instead of them grouping up with their retainers and fighting together, like in Chapter 6. If Birthright reflects this, I'm guessing the same thing happens there.

Her decision to stay wasn't actually a bad one, if we are considering morale. Imagine the soldiers defending the place seeing her leaving. That would be a clear sign of hopelessness and just increase the likelihood of them routing and allowing an even easier Nohr victory. She staying certainly bolstered their morale, as it always does when leaders remain with the soldier in tough situation when they could have just run away.

She can heal, silence, freeze, I think. But I agree this could have been shown to the player, as the soldiers desperately see the enemy approaching, wonder if Sakura will run and have their resolve bolstered when they find out she is gonna stay with them.

Realistically, at least she (and even Yukimura) should have run when you break through a certain part of the map instead of sitting like ducks there, but then we would have to complain about pretty much every FE map.

I think 22 was handled well, the inexperienced Sakura tasting war and death, while still clinging to her helpful nature and in 23 as Takumi hatefully asks why the heck you chose Nohr and not your real siblings, as I was pretty much thinking exactly the same thing.

Yea, 24 was done badly. Pegachopter and Camilla x Hinoka at that point... anyway, Corrin clearly disobeys Garon's orders and the siblings comply, specially Camilla. Later on 26 Iago finds out, and rightfully can punish Corrin for the deceit and now everyone turn on him and that Iago is a lying, scheming bastard.

Xander's speech was total non-sense "We are taking back our beloved Nohr from you". What? Taking back from what? And that they will tell Garon that Iago got killed by hidden rebels, surely a tragedy. I mean, seriously? Why only now? Why Corrin didn't do this before by herself in other maps?

Sigh...

Edited by Lanko

Because Anime?

Lies, if it were anime, a fountain of blood would erupt from Kamui's nose and he'd say "There is no way my sisters can be this cute!".

Her decision to stay wasn't actually a bad one, if we are considering morale. Imagine the soldiers defending the place seeing her leaving. That would be a clear sign of hopelessness and just increase the likelihood of them routing and allowing an even easier Nohr victory. She staying certainly bolstered their morale, as it always does when leaders remain with the soldier in tough situation when they could have just run away.

She can heal, silence, freeze, I think. But I agree this could have been shown to the player, as the soldiers desperately see the enemy approaching, wonder if Sakura will run and have their resolve bolstered when they find out she is gonna stay with them.

Realistically, at least she (and even Yukimura) should have run when you break through a certain part of the map instead of sitting like ducks there, but then we would have to complain about pretty much every FE map.

I think 22 was handled well, the inexperienced Sakura tasting war and death, while still clinging to her helpful nature and in 23 as Takumi hatefully asks why the heck you chose Nohr and not your real siblings, as I was pretty much thinking exactly the same thing.

Good reasoning. It could have been a strong scene for Sakura if her participation in the battle was shown to inspire the other soldiers to fight their hardest.

Yea, 24 was done badly. Pegachopter and Camilla x Hinoka at that point... anyway, Corrin clearly disobeys Garon's orders and the siblings comply, specially Camilla. Later on 26 Iago finds out, and rightfully can punish Corrin for the deceit and now everyone turn on him and that Iago is a lying, scheming bastard.

Xander's speech was total non-sense "We are taking back our beloved Nohr from you". What? Taking back from what? And that they will tell Garon that Iago got killed by hidden rebels, surely a tragedy. I mean, seriously? Why only now? Why Corrin didn't do this before by herself in other maps?

Sigh...

I see where you're coming from, I really do, but here's the thing: Yukimura notices it's a very bad situation, and he lets Sakura fight anyway - if she were to die in the first assault, that'd just anger the siblings and cause them to become careless, and it'd be a blow to all of Hoshido's morale. I suppose discussing this might be a bit pointless though, since the game doesn't address such things at all. I just don't see why they were so hell-bent on only letting us fight againt one sibling and their retainers at a time; is there any reason as to why Ryouma is chilling inside the castle? Why didn't he join Takumi at the wall?

Oh yes, the ending is just...I don't know. I don't think I have the words to describe it, or at least say something that I haven't said earlier in this thread. It does baffle me that they don't even try to kill Iago before that, since Garon it's questionable that he'd care even if he did find out, which I don't think considering how slow he is on the uptake towards the end of Birthright.

I see where you're coming from, I really do, but here's the thing: Yukimura notices it's a very bad situation, and he lets Sakura fight anyway - if she were to die in the first assault, that'd just anger the siblings and cause them to become careless, and it'd be a blow to all of Hoshido's morale. I suppose discussing this might be a bit pointless though, since the game doesn't address such things at all. I just don't see why they were so hell-bent on only letting us fight againt one sibling and their retainers at a time; is there any reason as to why Ryouma is chilling inside the castle? Why didn't he join Takumi at the wall?

Oh yes, the ending is just...I don't know. I don't think I have the words to describe it, or at least say something that I haven't said earlier in this thread. It does baffle me that they don't even try to kill Iago before that, since Garon it's questionable that he'd care even if he did find out, which I don't think considering how slow he is on the uptake towards the end of Birthright.

Assaulting walls is a very risky endeavor. Even when vastly outnumbering the defenders, that are plenty of cases of major defeats in this scenario. Or even without walls, using only terrain or the enemy overconfidence in their numbers, like in Agincourt. So even a very bad situation wouldn't mean certain defeat. They had a solid position behind walls, reinforcements coming and even ballistas.

Like Hinoka in 24, maybe Sakura should have been sitting in a Dragon Vein that healed every enemy or kept giving them defenses, as to force you to charge instead of turtling, and then you would have to take more risks and in the end of the chapter Nohr would have suffered far more casualties assaulting that wall than expected, indirectly because of Sakura.

I agree completely that at least Hinoka or Ryoma, or even both, should've been with Takumi at the wall. I do remember Iago saying to Corrin for him/her to storm the front while he would attack from the rear? So maybe that's why?

That's a major problem in this game, it never shows us anything, does it? We have to speculate things like this. So maybe Iago was fighting Ryoma/Hinoka. Or maybe they were eating sushi at the castle. Who actually knows?

It would explain silly things like this if we were shown that Iago was fighting the other siblings as we assaulted the wall.

Edited by Lanko

Assaulting walls is a very risky endeavor. Even when vastly outnumbering the defenders, that are plenty of cases of major defeats in this scenario. Or even without walls, using only terrain or the enemy overconfidence in their numbers, like in Agincourt. So even a very bad situation wouldn't mean certain defeat. They had a solid position behind walls, reinforcements coming and even ballistas.

Like Hinoka in 24, maybe Sakura should have been sitting in a Dragon Vein that healed every enemy or kept giving them defenses, as to force you to charge instead of turtling, and then you would have to take more risks and in the end of the chapter Nohr would have suffered far more casualties assaulting that wall than expected, indirectly because of Sakura.

I agree completely that at least Hinoka or Ryoma, or even both, should've been with Takumi at the wall. I do remember Iago saying to Corrin for him/her to storm the front while he would attack from the rear? So maybe that's why?

That's a major problem in this game, it never shows us anything, does it? We have to speculate things like this. So maybe Iago was fighting Ryoma/Hinoka. Or maybe they were eating sushi at the castle. Who actually knows?

It would explain silly things like this if we were shown that Iago was fighting the other siblings as we assaulted the wall.

If we're bringing map structures into the discussion, then I'll just say that they had six people on the Nohrian side who could use Dragon Veins and lower the walls, something Yukimura should've known about. I think we have to separate story and gameplay when discussing stuff like this.

Well, they don't even tell us that, do they? You're right though, they never show us anything, which is exactly the opposite of what is expected of a visual medium. I've said it numerous times before and I'll say it again: the game suffers terribly from all the exposition and the fact that people don't actually talk to one another - major plot elements are just never brought up, like Corrin being able to turn into a dragon, and the siblings - the Hoshidan ones in particular - come across as incredibly aloof when they don't even ask Corrin about their time in Nohr or anything like that; they just accept it and constantly talk about mission objectives, which is why I care for so few people in this game.

Even Corrin doesn't ask himself why he can turn into a dragon :facepalm:

If you attack the Hoshidan siblings with Azura, even Takumi in the wall, there are no convo exchanges as well, which was very disappointing, as the game depicts her suffering for fighting against them, specially Ryoma.

Oh yeah, I just remembered that Iago questions you about Hinoka's lance, but you actually have nothing from Takumi and nobody asks anything. Poof.

Edited by Lanko

Even Corrin doesn't ask himself why he can turn into a dragon :facepalm:

If you attack the Hoshidan siblings with Azura, even Takumi in the wall, there are no convo exchanges as well, which was very disappointing, as the game depicts her suffering for fighting against them, specially Ryoma.

Oh yeah, I just remembered that Iago questions you about Hinoka's lance, but you actually have nothing from Takumi and nobody asks anything. Poof.

It's just handwaved as them having stronger dragon blood in their veins, or something. It's not in Corrin's nature to really question anything; they just goes along with what people tell them - if not Garon, then it's their siblings or Azura. The only time they doesn't do that is when they chooses to not side with either family, but after that Azura is the one who informs them of everything anyway.

She does have a unique exchange with Sakura. And it's pretty much "fite me".

Wait, the game depicts Azura suffering? Really? She seems incredibly fine with massacring innocents by the truckload and fighting her own adoptive siblings if you ask me. Suffering would be a bit more than paying lip service and saying "it's for the greater good". I'm not that big of a fan of hers, but at least Micaiah gets called out on her actions and is shown to actually, you know, question herself.

Edited by Thane

Wait, the game depicts Azura suffering? Really? She seems incredibly fine with massacring innocents by the truckload and fighting her own adoptive siblings if you ask me. Suffering would be a bit more than paying lip service and saying "it's for the greater good". I'm not that big of a fan of hers, but at least Micaiah gets called out on her actions and is shown to actually, you know, question herself.

You are right, I was just remembering the scene after Ryoma's death. Not that they cared about attacking one another anyway...

You are right, I was just remembering the scene after Ryoma's death. Not that they cared about attacking one another anyway...

Different writers, but in her support with Ryouma she's incredibly distant as well to the point of rudeness.

Also, here's her quote when fighting against Sakura; not exactly filled with a lot of remorse.

[spoiler=Sakura vs. Azura]

• Sakura: Azura!
  • Azura: Sakura... I'm surprised to see you here. When did you learn to fight?
  • Sakura: After M-Mother died, I began training, so I could protect the ones I love. I won't let anyone get past me - not even you!
  • Azura: I see. I always knew you would grow into a strong woman. I'm happy to see you like this, Sakura. Whatever happens, I'm proud of you.
  • Sakura: Azura... *sniff... sniff... * My... sister...
  • Azura: Don't cry, Sakura. This is a battlefield, and we are at war. Ready your weapon, dear Sister. Show me how strong you've become.
  • Sakura: *sniff* OK! Let's b-begin!