A little unsure... [Youtube channel gaming related]

Jedi

Now over the years, I've loved watching video game related videos on youtube, be it Protonjon among other various lets players, Brainscratch & Hellfirecomms with their video game commentaries, various game reviewers.

I've always wanted to somewhat follow in the footsteps of these people I find entertaining and become maybe mildly successful at it, various issues come up, such as.

I'm not sure how to stand out, considering the over-saturation of all of these things SINCE people like these have gotten big, the various other small fish who do have somewhat loyal fanbases, the desire to stand out and yet do some of the same things, along with personal motivation, keep shooting me in the foot.

Some days I really feel like recording games, other times i'm busy or I just plain can't get myself motivated, I mean I mostly use my channel for smash brothers matches that are like "Serenes Forest" official tourney things, and I do plan on Livestreaming #FE MTS, but aside from that I always get ideas, possible LP's, reviews and stuff and always, I either do it and not many people are receptive (or theres some, but too small to consider a following), or I just lose my entire motivation for that particular thing. My own negative attitude sometimes also sinks my ship, considering some days i'll just be like "eh whats the point, no one is gonna care either way".

Does anyone have any suggestions for either, keeping myself motivated or doing something... Well new in this field, because like I do want to share games and stuff I personally enjoy and would like other people to experience as well, i'm... just not really sure how I should go about it, or how I'd be successful quite yet. I mean I could just spam all my friends, but that would get annoying, quickly.

In terms of how to do stuff, I like Alpharad's approach which is basically throw everything on the wall until something sticks.

One thing I think you may need to get over is your personality. Being a Youtuber requires being extremely extroverted because you need to record yourself as if you're in a room with a ton of people having fun together. From the years I've known you, I think you're definitely more introverted than you might admit, and so you might want to practice getting out of your shell a bit before transitioning to Youtube.

Alternatively, you could do a group channel and all of your friends watch you play via Skype or in-person, which might help get over the introversion because you'll all be talking at the same time.

In terms of how to do stuff, I like Alpharad's approach which is basically throw everything on the wall until something sticks.

One thing I think you may need to get over is your personality. Being a Youtuber requires being extremely extroverted because you need to record yourself as if you're in a room with a ton of people having fun together. From the years I've known you, I think you're definitely more introverted than you might admit, and so you might want to practice getting out of your shell a bit before transitioning to Youtube.

Alternatively, you could do a group channel and all of your friends watch you play via Skype or in-person, which might help get over the introversion because you'll all be talking at the same time.

Very solid suggestions, and you're right. While I have gotten better at not being as shut in (thanks Job Corps), I still do rather like being by myself than in crowds of people.

Stuff to consider for sure, thank you for taking the time to post that.

Now over the years, I've loved watching video game related videos on youtube, be it Protonjon among other various lets players, Brainscratch & Hellfirecomms with their video game commentaries, various game reviewers.

I've always wanted to somewhat follow in the footsteps of these people I find entertaining and become maybe mildly successful at it, various issues come up, such as.

I'm not sure how to stand out, considering the over-saturation of all of these things SINCE people like these have gotten big, the various other small fish who do have somewhat loyal fanbases, the desire to stand out and yet do some of the same things, along with personal motivation, keep shooting me in the foot.

Some days I really feel like recording games, other times i'm busy or I just plain can't get myself motivated, I mean I mostly use my channel for smash brothers matches that are like "Serenes Forest" official tourney things, and I do plan on Livestreaming #FE MTS, but aside from that I always get ideas, possible LP's, reviews and stuff and always, I either do it and not many people are receptive (or theres some, but too small to consider a following), or I just lose my entire motivation for that particular thing. My own negative attitude sometimes also sinks my ship, considering some days i'll just be like "eh whats the point, no one is gonna care either way".

Does anyone have any suggestions for either, keeping myself motivated or doing something... Well new in this field, because like I do want to share games and stuff I personally enjoy and would like other people to experience as well, i'm... just not really sure how I should go about it, or how I'd be successful quite yet. I mean I could just spam all my friends, but that would get annoying, quickly.

I would say do it because its fun for you. I've contemplated starting my channel up and going back and forth on it several times. However, the one thing that's always remained constant in my mind is that if I ever DID do it I would do it for the sheer fun and hobby aspect of it. To me that helps alleviate the stress and "no one will care"/extroverted aspect to it. It would essentially just be something I did no my spare time playing around with editing software capturing gameplay maybe making funny stuff and edits. Do it because you enjoy doing it and if you get big and people like you great. If not and you just remain as a small channel no harm done just do you man.

I think that mindset also helps with dealing with other people and the occasional troll that may come by on your channel. Hey if people wanna be asshats thats their problem you're just doing this for fun :)

Even if no one watches your videos use it as a learning experience as in you getting better at editing videos and graphics etc. Seriously, there's alot you can do with that stuff now in days honing those kind of skills is not a waste by any means. That might help with the "i did this for nothing" train of thought.

Edited by LordTaco42

I would say do it because its fun for you. I've contemplated starting my channel up and going back and forth on it several times. However, the one thing that's always remained constant in my mind is that if I ever DID do it I would do it for the sheer fun and hobby aspect of it. To me that helps alleviate the stress and "no one will care"/extroverted aspect to it. It would essentially just be something I did no my spare time playing around with editing software capturing gameplay maybe making funny stuff and edits. Do it because you enjoy doing it and if you get big and people like you great. If not and you just remain as a small channel no harm done just do you man.

This is a good mindset, however I'm the type of person who likes to have reception and a purpose to what they do, so "fun" is a bit of a vague concept to me sometimes. As much as I understand it.

Edited by Jedi

This is a good mindset, however I'm the type of person who likes to have reception and a purpose to what they do, so "fun" is a bit of a vague concept to me sometimes. As much as I understand it.

Yeah I added a bit more to my post up there. If nothing else you get solid video/photo editing practice out of it and learn more about that sort of thing. I think a big thing that helps youtubers is that there are a ton of people who simply upload lets plays but even adding commentary or editing the gameplay footage itself (like adding jokes here and there like Alpharad's vids) helps alot.

Also I just wouldn't get discouraged. While it may seem like huge channels got that way overnight they really didn't it took a bit of time. Sure there were guys like AVGN but even he and his friends just did it for fun and had to upload a full season of vids. The key though is that he enjoyed doing it and was doing it regardless.

I guess my best advice would be is to find something you enjoy doing, get better editing over time (as you learn more and do more vids), and followers of your content will come with time. Even if its only like 200 people thats more than most users.

Yeah I added a bit more to my post up there. If nothing else you get solid video/photo editing practice out of it and learn more about that sort of thing. I think a big thing that helps youtubers is that there are a ton of people who simply upload lets plays but even adding commentary or editing the gameplay footage itself (like adding jokes here and there like Alpharad's vids) helps alot.

Also I just wouldn't get discouraged. While it may seem like huge channels got that way overnight they really didn't it took a bit of time. Sure there were guys like AVGN but even he and his friends just did it for fun and had to upload a full season of vids. The key though is that he enjoyed doing it and was doing it regardless.

I guess my best advice would be is to find something you enjoy doing, get better editing over time (as you learn more and do more vids), and followers of your content will come with time. Even if its only like 200 people thats more than most users.

I've been sorta toying around with various ideas for a fair few years, limited success and being booted off my old channel didn't help. It's helped me a fair bit with editing though, you're right.

Yeah I know they didn't become that way overnight, its just the fact that, well they exist now, its a bit of a hard sell for anyone to get to that point anymore, because everyone is now trying to do that. Enjoyment is grand overall yes, but as I said before, I don't get any enjoyment out of things that don't really make an impact in a small way, -shrugs- maybe i'm attention seeking for all I know.

Patience hasn't really ever been my strong suit I guess, so I suppose I should just run & gun for now...

to get known on youtube all you have to do is be yourself

keep doing what you are doing but talk to your audience while you are doing it... ill give an example of a very vocal youtuber Chuggaconroy. he is a perfect example of lets playing done right and he is also a friend of Protonjon so give him a look if you havent already

as long as you are yourself you will eventually gain fans

i know what i am saying sounds very simple... it is but thats all i can tell you

to get known on youtube all you have to do is be yourself

keep doing what you are doing but talk to your audience while you are doing it... ill give an example of a very vocal youtuber Chuggaconroy. he is a perfect example of lets playing done right and he is also a friend of Protonjon so give him a look if you havent already

as long as you are yourself you will eventually gain fans

i know what i am saying sounds very simple... it is but thats all i can tell you

Yeah, I've been watching Chugga for quite some time.

That is a good note i'll take down, I have a tendency to be too stiff and get irritated I can't sound natural when I fub up sometimes, I should just be more myself and not so harsh I suppose? I just tend to be overly critical of myself.

Thanks

Yeah, I've been watching Chugga for quite some time.

That is a good note i'll take down, I have a tendency to be too stiff and get irritated I can't sound natural when I fub up sometimes, I should just be more myself and not so harsh I suppose? I just tend to be overly critical of myself.

Thanks

no problem, good luck

and remember to have fun while doing it, that also helps

I tried Youtube myself before, also wanting to do some commentaries and let's plays of video games, but I also ran into the same hurdle of motivations and "what's the point". I had several series, but I ended up wiping the channel because I was not satisfied with the content I was creating despite the gems in the rough. Sure, my friends enjoy the content I put out, but in terms of actually having an audience, I practically have none. Nowadays I look at Youtube as more of a fun hobby to mess around with, but I'll get to my personal thoughts later.

For starters, the classic question on "how to stand out" is replied by the classic cliche saying, "Just be yourself". Sure, you may exaggerate a quirk or two of yours for whatever effect you are shooting for, but otherwise, stay genuine. As a man who somehow scored 100% on the Introvert scale (personality test, I am an INTJ), I still manage to give a great performance and entertain others, even if it can exhausting at times as I normally prefer to keep to my solitude instead of dealing with others. Just remember, no man is an isolated island. If one wants to be an island, that's fine, but make sure to have good shipping and receiving to the mainland.

Also, getting into Youtube depends if you are making videos as a fun side hobby or if you want to try and commit to Youtube to make some sort of living off of it. From what little I have researched, it seems that streaming on Twitch is more lucrative than Youtube videos (subscriptions seem to pay more than ad revenue), but streaming has the factor of doing something in front of a live audience (and likely having a schedule) instead of the "detached uploaded video" and the comments section. There's also the fact that Patreon exists, but that arguably comes with real responsibility and reputation cost, which may or may not be worth the hassle.

Motivation makes or breaks a venture. It may be stupid to say, but if you want to do something, just do it. Sure, it may be crap in terms of quality, but if you do it long enough, you will improve with time. I watch VaatiVidya on Youtube with all of his Souls lore, and if you compare his older stuff and setup to what he does now, there is a definite difference in terms of quality, while the soul of his content is still there. Start with something small and slowly expand.

Looking on my Youtube channel now (shameless plug, even though the last video was 7 months ago), when I see an old video, I feel the urge to make something again. I see Youtube as a hobby for me, as my ultimate goal is to make video games, not record myself playing them. Particularly, I see my videos more as personal entertainment, like "recorded memories" or "baby videos", looking back at emotional moments in video games when I am playing through the first time. A part of me wants to make content, but I have a specific set of content I would like to make and the conditions for me to create them are not met. Originally, I was going to get back into Youtube by doing Darkest Dungeon, but because I was using new software (OBS), I lost out on two hours of footage because I did not set it up properly. Needless to say, this does not help with motivation, and currently my time is spent messing around with FE: Fates, either playing the game, theorycrafting stuff, or messing around in its subforum here.

Long story short, if you want to do something, just do it. Shut down potential distractions and negative self thinking; try to be optimistic about what you are doing. If you are having fun, that's all that really matters.

Having more people paying attention to you is most probably better than having less, but remember that you are not guaranteed to genuinely like the people that end up following you. 7 years ago I considered closing my channel at the peak of its popularity because I had mostly contempt for the people who I was dealing with. I ended up just scaring them away, so for most of my time sharing content on YouTube I enjoyed and greatly preferred a low profile of doing exactly the kind of thing I wanted to and found tasteful and interesting rather than what somebody else might want to see (which for me quickly evolved into a humorous kind of tough guy trolling for a brief while). My philosophy has been that whoever is interested in the kind of content you offer will eventually find you (which is true because challenges are a kind of niche, even if I can imagine some asshat selling it for ad revenue) and that histrionic attention-whoring methods of attracting the audience are totally not my style. If it's getting attention that's focal, then content steps away in favour of your gimmick and attention-whoring and you end up delivering that intolerable mix of SJW, feminism, atheism and whatever else gets people lured in, which doesn't have any value in my book.

Tastes may differ though, and if you really do like those popular tubers, then be like them - the world's your oyster. I'm more used to being meaningful for a very tiny portion of the YT population than having my own idols on the website. For me it's been a matter of personal integrity not to sell out because I've been enjoying YT progressively less with every year and I couldn't take myself seriously if I copied any of the elements that I frankly despise.

I tried Youtube myself before, also wanting to do some commentaries and let's plays of video games, but I also ran into the same hurdle of motivations and "what's the point". I had several series, but I ended up wiping the channel because I was not satisfied with the content I was creating despite the gems in the rough. Sure, my friends enjoy the content I put out, but in terms of actually having an audience, I practically have none. Nowadays I look at Youtube as more of a fun hobby to mess around with, but I'll get to my personal thoughts later.
For starters, the classic question on "how to stand out" is replied by the classic cliche saying, "Just be yourself". Sure, you may exaggerate a quirk or two of yours for whatever effect you are shooting for, but otherwise, stay genuine. As a man who somehow scored 100% on the Introvert scale (personality test, I am an INTJ), I still manage to give a great performance and entertain others, even if it can exhausting at times as I normally prefer to keep to my solitude instead of dealing with others. Just remember, no man is an isolated island. If one wants to be an island, that's fine, but make sure to have good shipping and receiving to the mainland.
Also, getting into Youtube depends if you are making videos as a fun side hobby or if you want to try and commit to Youtube to make some sort of living off of it. From what little I have researched, it seems that streaming on Twitch is more lucrative than Youtube videos (subscriptions seem to pay more than ad revenue), but streaming has the factor of doing something in front of a live audience (and likely having a schedule) instead of the "detached uploaded video" and the comments section. There's also the fact that Patreon exists, but that arguably comes with real responsibility and reputation cost, which may or may not be worth the hassle.
Motivation makes or breaks a venture. It may be stupid to say, but if you want to do something, just do it. Sure, it may be crap in terms of quality, but if you do it long enough, you will improve with time. I watch VaatiVidya on Youtube with all of his Souls lore, and if you compare his older stuff and setup to what he does now, there is a definite difference in terms of quality, while the soul of his content is still there. Start with something small and slowly expand.
Looking on my Youtube channel now (shameless plug, even though the last video was 7 months ago), when I see an old video, I feel the urge to make something again. I see Youtube as a hobby for me, as my ultimate goal is to make video games, not record myself playing them. Particularly, I see my videos more as personal entertainment, like "recorded memories" or "baby videos", looking back at emotional moments in video games when I am playing through the first time. A part of me wants to make content, but I have a specific set of content I would like to make and the conditions for me to create them are not met. Originally, I was going to get back into Youtube by doing Darkest Dungeon, but because I was using new software (OBS), I lost out on two hours of footage because I did not set it up properly. Needless to say, this does not help with motivation, and currently my time is spent messing around with FE: Fates, either playing the game, theorycrafting stuff, or messing around in its subforum here.
Long story short, if you want to do something, just do it. Shut down potential distractions and negative self thinking; try to be optimistic about what you are doing. If you are having fun, that's all that really matters.

I appreciate you taking the time for all these words of wisdom, I'm absorbing it, hopefully I can apply what you and everyone else is saying. Thank you. I wish I could reply to everything you said, but its like wisdom incarnate, I wish you luck in your quest of making games.

Having more people paying attention to you is most probably better than having less, but remember that you are not guaranteed to genuinely like the people that end up following you. 7 years ago I considered closing my channel at the peak of its popularity because I had mostly contempt for the people who I was dealing with. I ended up just scaring them away, so for most of my time sharing content on YouTube I enjoyed and greatly preferred a low profile of doing exactly the kind of thing I wanted to and found tasteful and interesting rather than what somebody else might want to see (which for me quickly evolved into a humorous kind of tough guy trolling for a brief while). My philosophy has been that whoever is interested in the kind of content you offer will eventually find you (which is true because challenges are a kind of niche, even if I can imagine some asshat selling it for ad revenue) and that histrionic attention-whoring methods of attracting the audience are totally not my style. If it's getting attention that's focal, then content steps away in favour of your gimmick and attention-whoring and you end up delivering that intolerable mix of SJW, feminism, atheism and whatever else gets people lured in, which doesn't have any value in my book.

Tastes may differ though, and if you really do like those popular tubers, then be like them - the world's your oyster. I'm more used to being meaningful for a very tiny portion of the YT population than having my own idols on the website. For me it's been a matter of personal integrity not to sell out because I've been enjoying YT progressively less with every year and I couldn't take myself seriously if I copied any of the elements that I frankly despise.

Yeah I'm well aware of the negatives of getting attention, its part of what makes me apprehensive. I'll just keep working at content I suppose and deal with what comes of it.

Well while I like those people, I don't think I'd really like to be exactly like them, I'd like to do my own thing while using them as inspiration.

As someone who has their own youtube channel as well, sometimes it helps to put out content that people might not be able to find anywhere else like tips/secrets/easter eggs and so on. What I mean by this, is that my youtube channel started getting subscribers and such after posting everyone's My Room/skinship videos. Other youtube channels have posted videos like that way before me, but what I did differently was that I was able to showcase everyone's 'special' lines one after the other using Live 2D viewer since people have made their models available. So, it's kind of a matter of finding your own way to put out content that is unique to you. I get some comments every now and then asking me how I record my videos or where can people look to find the Fire Emblem related resources that I use. If your audience is able to ask questions, you have a greater opportunity of reaching out and communicating with them. As a result, you start to build a relationship with your audience. But with that being said I am by no means popular (I have about 2.5k subscribers) but I had no idea that I would even get that many to begin with and I'm extremely grateful so, sometimes it's good to set the bar low.

It's a slow process and it's not easy - but it really helps to narrow down exactly WHY you're making videos. Do you enjoy making them? Do you enjoy playing video games? If you're having fun and enjoying the process of making videos and putting them out there, people will believe it too. If you're not having fun with what you're doing, then what IS the point? If you enjoy something enough, there's always a point to it - the point is your satisfaction. It's important to think about your potential audience, but it's just as important to think about yourself.

I noticed a common trend with popular Youtubers in that, they spark in popularity from one video or a series of videos. Sometimes you'll hear people say things like, "Oh Pewdiepie was that Amnesia guy." or "Markiplier was that Five Nights at Freddy's guy." and so on. They made tons of videos way before putting out the videos that sparked their popularity, so who's to say that it can't happen to you? You won't know unless you keep making videos. Maybe one of your videos will go viral one day. Remember - Youtubers and popular channels all started from the ground up and know exactly how it felt to be at the bottom with no audience and no fans.

Seeing their history, it really shows how much they believed in their content and capabilities that they were able to make it all the way to where they are now.

Edited by carefreejules

You know, I once heard that a good way for a new Let's Player to make a name for himself is making a series of a game that doesn't have many Let's Players.

That being said, if you're worried about audience, there's already us from Serenes Forest, and if you want we can always spread the word about you.

As someone who has their own youtube channel as well, sometimes it helps to put out content that people might not be able to find anywhere else like tips/secrets/easter eggs and so on. What I mean by this, is that my youtube channel started getting subscribers and such after posting everyone's My Room/skinship videos. Other youtube channels have posted videos like that way before me, but what I did differently was that I was able to showcase everyone's 'special' lines one after the other using Live 2D viewer since people have made their models available. So, it's kind of a matter of finding your own way to put out content that is unique to you. I get some comments every now and then asking me how I record my videos or where can people look to find the Fire Emblem related resources that I use. If your audience is able to ask questions, you have a greater opportunity of reaching out and communicating with them. As a result, you start to build a relationship with your audience. But with that being said I am by no means popular (I have about 2.5k subscribers) but I had no idea that I would even get that many to begin with and I'm extremely grateful so, sometimes it's good to set the bar low.

It's a slow process and it's not easy - but it really helps to narrow down exactly WHY you're making videos. Do you enjoy making them? Do you enjoy playing video games? If you're having fun and enjoying the process of making videos and putting them out there, people will believe it too. If you're not having fun with what you're doing, then what IS the point? If you enjoy something enough, there's always a point to it - the point is your satisfaction. It's important to think about your potential audience, but it's just as important to think about yourself.

I noticed a common trend with popular Youtubers in that, they spark in popularity from one video or a series of videos. Sometimes you'll hear people say things like, "Oh Pewdiepie was that Amnesia guy." or "Markiplier was that Five Nights at Freddy's guy." and so on. They made tons of videos way before putting out the videos that sparked their popularity, so who's to say that it can't happen to you? You won't know unless you keep making videos. Maybe one of your videos will go viral one day. Remember - Youtubers and popular channels all started from the ground up and know exactly how it felt to be at the bottom with no audience and no fans.

Seeing their history, it really shows how much they believed in their content and capabilities that they were able to make it all the way to where they are now.

So find something unique and also find something that sticks basically, if a video I do gets more attention then the rest, I should pay attention to possibly why it did then? I think I get it a bit better now, so I thank you.

I always wanted to do something like this as well but lacked the time and effort( I was also pretty lazy). If you are set on this then go for it dude! However I'm curious as to how you'll get your name out there.

You and me both.

You know, I once heard that a good way for a new Let's Player to make a name for himself is making a series of a game that doesn't have many Let's Players.

That being said, if you're worried about audience, there's already us from Serenes Forest, and if you want we can always spread the word about you.

Well the thing is, I'd like the lesser known games I like to get attention, and they wouldn't really if I just opened up with those. As people wouldn't search for that type of thing usually.

1) Do you have a good voice?

2) Do you speak without "vices" (for example, you say an expression too much)?

3) Do you speak without stuttering?

4) Can you focus on your speech while playing games?

5) Are you at least moderately skilled at/knowledgeable about the games you want to record?

You will get better with time but you'll only achieve real success once you can answer "yes" to all five questions and provide entertaining content on top of it. You can't become a ProtonJon if you can't even master the basics.

1) Do you have a good voice?

2) Do you speak without "vices" (for example, you say an expression too much)?

3) Do you speak without stuttering?

4) Can you focus on your speech while playing games?

5) Are you at least moderately skilled at/knowledgeable about the games you want to record?

You will get better with time but you'll only achieve real success once you can answer "yes" to all five questions and provide entertaining content on top of it. You can't become a ProtonJon if you can't even master the basics.

I'm a bit shakey but can manage some of those 5 things.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=62524

I've recorded something small to get into the swing of things again, it isn't perfect by any means, but I at least had fun doing it.