Fire Emblem Fates Character Spotlight ~ Week 03: Effie

HappyHawlucha

So…. that happened. Yeah, I put both Ophelia AND Nina in this week’s poll, yet, they didn’t win, I guess this week’s subject ate her competitors(Don’t do Cannibalism, kids). Anyway, this week’s character is one who as won the hearts of her allies, yet still manages to strike shuddering fear into her foes. So, it’s the big-hearted, big-stomach-ed Armour Knight, Effie!

Effie is a complete powerhouse, with absurd Strength making her very useful throughout the Conquest and Revelation routes, and the fact that you get her the Chapter after picking sides, you have plenty of time to make her into one of the most useful units in Conquest. Effie is the subordinate and best friend of the Nohrian Princess, Elise, who is in her service alongside the Unluckiest Soul, Arthur. Effie has a big place in her heart for food, and suplexing boulders, and her gargantuan strength stat is reflected in her personality. Let’s break her down.

Class Sets:

————————

Base Class Sets: Knight, Troubadour

Marriage Class Sets: *Male Avatar’s Talent*(Corrin), *Nothing*(Jakob), Cavalier(Silas/Xander), Fighter(Arthur/Benny/Keaton), Dark Mage(Odin/Leo), Outlaw(Niles), Ninja(Kaze), Mercenary(Laslow), Shrine Maiden(Azama)-Revelation Only, Diviner(Hayato)-Revelation Only

Buddy Sets: *Nothing*(Elise), Archer(Mozu), Dark Mage(Nyx)

Personal Skill: Puissance- When user’s Strength is 5 or more points higher than the enemy’s Strength, damage +3 during battle

Base Growth Rates:

--------------

HP: 35%

Str: 60%

Mag: 0%

Skill: 35%

Speed: 50%

Luck: 50%

Def: 35%

Res: 30%

Max Cap Modifiers:

--------------

Str: 3

Mag: /

Skill: -1

Speed: +1

Luck: /

Def: -1

Res: -1

Edited by HappyHawlucha

Still on chapter 21 of Conquest, and Effie still has not waned in usefulness. her high str and passive let her one shot a lot of squishies early on, saving me the pain of ninjas debuffs or mage counter attacks. I paired her with Niles for that speed boost, but then I got wary fighter so that became moot. However, she does give some amazing str bonus to her pairups, and my Niles seems to be str screwed (not sure what his growth is) so she helps fix that. Between the two of them I have one unit who can tank physical hits, and another for magic hits.

Even if you don't use Effie, she can still be a great support bot for your front lines. (That's what I'm using Benny for, with selena). I haven't played around with her strangely high speed growths. she could probably be a beast of an adventurer/bow knight, but I still need the tanking abilities, and starting an E rank bows doesn't like the best idea at this point. she could probably make an amazing hero if that class is open to her.

my only problem is that troubadour class... hell, maid would have been better with shurikens and that high str.

Still on chapter 21 of Conquest, and Effie still has not waned in usefulness. her high str and passive let her one shot a lot of squishies early on, saving me the pain of ninjas debuffs or mage counter attacks. I paired her with Niles for that speed boost, but then I got wary fighter so that became moot. However, she does give some amazing str bonus to her pairups, and my Niles seems to be str screwed (not sure what his growth is) so she helps fix that. Between the two of them I have one unit who can tank physical hits, and another for magic hits.

Even if you don't use Effie, she can still be a great support bot for your front lines. (That's what I'm using Benny for, with selena). I haven't played around with her strangely high speed growths. she could probably be a beast of an adventurer/bow knight, but I still need the tanking abilities, and starting an E rank bows doesn't like the best idea at this point. she could probably make an amazing hero if that class is open to her.

my only problem is that troubadour class... hell, maid would have been better with shurikens and that high str.

Its really wierd, Maid is actually a promote of troubador.

The butlers are some wierd janky special case pre promotes

Its really wierd, Maid is actually a promote of troubador.

The butlers are some wierd janky special case pre promotes

My bad, this is still my first play-through and i haven't quite got all the class lines down. Now I want to try maid Effie... Tomebreaker would make her ridiculous.

Due to her high damage, Forges go a long way with her if she's somehow able to one shot in retaliation

That said her low movement and VERY low speed sucks but she's still good regardless

My Niles pairing helped with the movement a bit, and I could probably snag her Move +1, but decided against it.

Idk, i guess i may be an Effie fanboy... but she did pull me through some tough situations in earlier chapters. Until I got Selena and Beruka up there anyways.

Me and Effie in a shellnut.

Keep trying Effie on lunatic, keep watching her miss every single benchmark, keep crying at that 4 move, keep dropping her on her neck early.

Curse you for splitting the waifu tier vote

Edited by joshcja

I really wish they had decided to give her a better class set, her's is basically the worst in the entire game.

They made the character with the best Strength growth in the entire game and a design specifically to use 1-2 range weapons to oneshot enemies on their turn, and they give her Troubadour which gives no damage and is completely pointless, another Troubadour which just gives nothing, Dark Mage which is a magic class (and there is only 1 1-2 range sword so you can't forge it so Dark Knight sucks too), and Archer, where the only 1-2 range weapon is a magic weapon and the only bonus damage that isn't for bows only applies on the PP.

Can you imagine how much better she would be if she could A+ Selena, or Belka, or Camilla, or Peri, or even Charlotte as an Axe General?

The units they picked for her to support are the 3 worst aside from Felicia and MAYBE Azura. Every other female gives EP damage of some sort (Elbow Room/Defender, Strong Reposte, Str+2/Trample, Axefaire). She can't even GET Wyvern without S ranking Corncob.

She can still function, S Silas gives her +4 and A Arthur gives her +7, with every buff in the game she can oneshot weaker enemies like sword Heroes in Chapter 26 and the C24 Fliers, but imagine if her secondary was Wyvern Rider. That would be +7 free damage against unmounted enemies.

Compare this to Xander, who gets Cav and Wyvern for free which is +11 and then runs around with a free 11 damage sword and can get +3 from A+ with Laslow (In addition to situational Sol, Shurikenbreaker and Axebreaker) or can even just Replicate himself with A+ Kaze. Xander's supports make sense. Effie's don't.

She still gets 78 Attack as a General with +3 Javelin, A Lances, A Arthur, Defender, Rally Str, Tonic, Meal, Elbow Room and Puissance, but it could be quite a bit higher. With the way damage works either she oneshots or she doesn't, leaving an enemy on death's doorstep doesn't make them any less dangerous.

Edited by The Fir Coat

Why does Effie have so many magical options, when her personal skill wants Strength and her Magic growth is 0%?

EDIT: For Actual Classes, Effie naturally comes with two super-high Strength classes - Great Knight and General. Pair her with Keaton, A+ with Mozu for Quick Draw/Certain Blow. Just. . .don't pair her with Niles. Ever.

Edited by eclipse

The only bullshit i can spew for that is someone on the development table thinks that Effie getting Demoiselle and its upgraded Aura and being tanky is cool

Except you get into reality when you realize it doesn't fucking work

The only reason I like the fact that Effie can get Troubadour is that she can be a powerhouse in my Revelation-all-Maid/Butler run, even though she can buddy Elise, so no, I retract my statement, she should have gotten Wyvern Rider or Fighter.

If we're being 100% real, Tomebreaker isn't bad. With a decent Javelin she can pretty consistently ORKO mages and with that skill she can ignore them fairly safely. The problem is that she sucks ass as a maid and spending 301+ EXP there at 20/11 is a real bummer, unless you leave Paralogues till late and keep her underelevelled for the main story, which means she can't do her one job anyway.

• 2 weeks later...