Return of the Emblem Chapter Fourteen: Nine

Phoenix

Help

All this cordial behavior and compliance was making Anna uneasy. On paper, the 'never trust your enemy' approach sounded easy, but with them constantly betraying your expectations, it became harder and harder to keep ones guard fully up. "If I thought there was some way he'd quit working for Cygnus and that organization as a whole, I'd be open to just cutting him loose," Anna admitted, "but there's no way to hold him to that. As for you three, why don't you stay and chat with us for a while?" No harm in trying to coax some information out of them while they were here and pleading, and Zerachiel had already admitted they were tactless. They probably didn't know anything crucial, but there was always something valuable to learn about the enemy in the minor details.

"We'll help you find Samael afterward," Gabriel promised, stealthily nodding at Anna.

Valeria, Beatrix, and Regula all smiled, one after the other. "Thank you," all of them said.

"Well that's kind of you," Zerachiel murmured. Apparently, his expectations were being betrayed, as well.

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the avian triad appeared, Axel readied himself for an attack, but relaxed his stance a little when they decided to ask for help rather than help Zerachiel out. Nevertheless he now kept his attention on the distance between the group's prisoner and their new guests. Who knew if he wouldn't just try to warp away with them, at the earliest opportunity?

It ended up being a coincidence after all, as once they arrived at the infirmary, Veronika went over to a cot to lay down. That suited Lane just fine, given that he wasn't looking forward to dealing with questions and antitoxin. Which, speaking of, would not be coming immediately, seeing as the avians had the nurses' attention for the time being. In that case, it was time to be a messenger.

The man took a look around the room and noticed that Tonya and the other girl were asleep, which left the giant of a man as the only prisoner able to be spoken with.

"Looks like you're mostly fixed up, " Lane said, as he approached his former foe. "I'm guessing the other two were looked at, as well. Any major problems?"

Infirmary

It looked like one of the group's healers had shown up to check in on them. If Zerachiel wasn't giving them any trouble, Leo supposed that made sense. He nodded at the ebon clad arrival. "We're all fine ... for now," Leo said, alluding to their uncertain futures. He wasn't going to bring up the relatively old bounty on his head now that they were thoroughly locked down, with no obvious means of escape. That would only lower his own chances of surviving even further. Of course, if there was a bounty out for Invictus members, then his old bounty likely wouldn't hold a candle to it anyway.

"Have you people decided what you're going to do with us?" Leo felt really uncomfortable asking that question, but he'd have rather known than fret over it until the news finally dropped.

Robin smiled as she grabbed the clothes and gave her brow a quick wipe before, slowly, standing upright. "Any spare undergarb in here as well? Regardless, some clean clothes is so nice. I will need to head to a changing room, but I will be back."

"Noted, that's good to hear," Lane said, as he thought back to the healing he had performed on Tonya earlier that day. The prisoner quickly changed topics to ask about what was to be done with them, which, while abrupt, was understandable.

"Currently, the plan is to indenture those of you willing to work for Weyland, and turn whoever refuses over to Major General Belo," the healer said, as he glanced towards the sleeping prisoners, frowning, "I doubt that's going to go over well. You're all Invictus though, right?"

Meeting Room

"Okay so next question," Anna said, focusing back on Zerachiel, "what's your end goal? I mean Cygnus' end goal, not yours specifically."

"The old man's a dedicated humanist," Zerachiel said, looking almost embarrassed, "the end goal is to unite humanity under one banner. Basically the same thing Ursium is trying to do, only ... possible." He sat up and leaned forward in his chair. Looking far more comfortable, both with the chair and with his father's world view, he continued. "He's not a big fan of the gods, so the emblem is going to play a big part in freeing people from them."

Raquel felt herself wince Zerachiel's mention of the Fire Emblem, an artifact she was now a small part of. "If you don't hand over the emblem," Zerachiel eyed her knowingly, "or join him, he's going to have to take it from you when the time comes."

"You're doing such a great job relieving her of it so far," Anna said mockingly. Cygnus' goals were understandable, but being understandable didn't mean he wasn't a megalomaniac when all was said and done.

"Go see him when you get the chance," Zerachiel said, seemingly ignoring Anna and speaking directly to Raquel, "he's not interested in making your life a living hell, you've just got something we want."

More like I AM something they want, Raquel silently corrected the artificial man.

Infirmary

Indenture them to Weyland? Was that even legal, Leo wondered? He supposed if they were willing to rip through a small suburban neighborhood to root them all out, then recruiting some of them wasn't even a stretch from there. That was probably the only reason they took prisoners other than Zerachiel, Leo mused. As much as he wanted to fully embrace the wave of relief washing over him, he wasn't ready to trust that it would be so easy to get out of this mess with his dignity in tact. There was no telling what working for a man like Weyland entailed, nor the countless abuses he could be subjected to due to his precarious circumstances.

Leo shook his head at the question. "Lucille's with Zerachiel. Tonya and I are with Invictus ..." Leo paused, frowning briefly, "though I think Tonya was considering joining up with Zerachiel's people." He couldn't really blame her. Zerachiel was a tidal wave of confidence, a ridiculously tough fighter, and was part of a seemingly amorphous, unshakable organization dozens of times more formidable than Invictus could have ever been. At the time, Invictus was on the run, as well. At present, it was more or less a fresh memory. No, he couldn't blame Tonya for giving someone like Zerachiel an ear.

"Everyone's been treated," the nurse replied to Uriel, "but an extra hand is always welcome, in case anyone else comes in or the patients need something." She smiled apologetically at Robin, next. "I'm afraid we don't, but I can have yours cleaned in the meantime." It wouldn't be the first time someone had gone without any undergarments for a time.

Edited by Phoenix

"I see," Lane said, frowning a little. He was surprised that Lucille was a member of the organization, but ultimately it changed little, since he wasn't making the decisions in the group. The information about Tonya similarly did not affect much, aside from open up an avenue of conversation. "I'm a little surprised you haven't considered joining up with them, given your group's recent state. I take it though, that means that there were differing opinions in Invictus?"

Uri nodded with a small smile. "Well that's good that there's no one else to treat. As long as we're here, if you need help, feel free to ask. Though if you could look at my friend, I would really appreciate it. I healed her during battle, but I don't know how good a job I did and it would be nice if someone else took a look at it."

Erion couldn't help but chuckle slightly at the man's comments about getting the Fire Emblem from Raquel. Well that's going to be difficult for him at this point. She's not going to be going anywhere she doesn't want to go. I'll make sure of that even though I'm pretty sure she'd do a better job at that than I can at this point. He casually pulled out the knife he'd been holding and casually started twirling it before commenting, "I don't see why we should believe you. Given everything she's been put through by your group up until now, she's got no reason to listen to anything you say. She can't trust you, you have to realize that."

Meeting Room

"Trust has nothing to do with it," Zerachiel scowled, "If you people want to put a stop to what the old man's doing, then sooner or later you've got to go pay him a visit. When you do, you join him and get to hold onto your precious pet rock," he trained his sights back on Raquel, "or he'll just take it. It's going to be one or the other."

Raquel opened her mouth to rebut Zerachiel but stopped anything from coming out. He really didn't need to know about what she'd already done to that old emblem piece, especially if he was actually an enemy. "I'm ... keeping it no matter what," she said, finally settling on something over the awkward nothing she had started on.

Infirmary

"Sure," the nurse nodded, "is she who you mean?" she gestured at Amalia.

"Hello," Amalia spoke as she was ushered into the infirmary. "Yes, I was hit by light magic in that last battle... My friend sealed the wound, but I know how damaging light magic can be. I was wondering if there would be anyone on the premises that would be able to tell me just how badly things were damaged." She knew that the shot had pierced near the top of her lung, and that meant unless someone could get in there with dark magic, her breathing would forever be altered... But that also meant letting someone in with dark magic... And that didn't seem entirely safe.

Edited by Nanami Touko

Meeting Room

"Well, it certainly seems like you managed to inherit your father's smugness," Lysandra said to Zerachiel in somewhat disappointed tone before turning to Raquel. "Your decision to hold onto the emblem piece is a very wise one, dear. You haven't chosen an easy path, but many people both present and future wlll prosper from you not allowing it to fall into the hands of ne'er-do-wells." Perhaps things to this point have happened so that I can guide Raquel to make the right choices. The gods do have a very strange way of doing things...

"Very well. I will return soon." said Robin as she headed off, shaking her head as she headed down the hallways to whatever room would be private and unused enough for changing. Not like it would take long as she slipped into one not being used at the moment. This sort of thing was irksome to say the least as she patted her brow down, noting it was still hot and sweaty, as she closed the door. Not the whole going around without underwear thing, that was part of life and if someone was really incapacitated because they weren't wearing a bra they probably shouldn't ever leave the safety of the village and maybe even home. Rather it was that she really wasn't sure this was actually a room MEANT for changing and, as she pulled her shirt off, hoped that she hadn't requisitioned a janitors closet or the mens restroom or something of a similar nature for her quick change.

Meeting Room

Anna scowled after Kenta's question. "Right now," she began, trying to keep the edge in her voice dull and harmless, "we're trying to get information."

Lysandra seemed pleased with Raquel's decision, though in truth, she didn't have a choice but to 'hold onto' the emblem. "Yeah, I figured," Raquel agreed, sighing at the thought of some crazy shadow group running amok with the kind of powers she was beginning to tap into.

"You said he's going to die eventually," Anna said pointedly, "and that you or Gabriel were meant to be his successor." Zerachiel's eyes shifted back over to her, patiently waiting for the next question. "Who's the intended successor, now? Samael?"

"He's probably still looking for one," Zerachiel offered, "I don't really care. I know he prefers someone with a 'good heart', though. That's why Gabriel was the first pick. I obviously didn't turn out right. Sam doesn't really fit that mold, either," he said, smirking at the artificial avians behind him. He'd definitely brought some frowns out of them with his light jab at their master.

"No argument, here," Anna muttered.

"Here's an idea," Zerachiel continued, giving the room's occupants a once over, "why not audition for him? If you're so set on bringing us down, you might as well try to do it from the inside. If he finds someone he likes, he'll definitely spill the good secrets. Stuff even I don't know about. Everyone you kill in the field is just going to get replaced, and sooner than you think. So instead of swinging blindly until you lose, why not kill two birds with one stone and just get yourselves inside? You get the information you want, and you get yourselves within striking distance. It wouldn't be as hard as you think."

Infirmary

"How long ago were you treated?" the nurse asked. That would determine exactly what could be done, and she suspected it had been some time ago judging by the others she had been looking after in the infirmary. There hadn't been any fresh wounds, just post-heal monitoring.

Leo sighed. "Zerachiel and his people aren't out to help Ursium," he explained, thinking back on the artificial man's words, "I am. This country's got real problems, but it's not too late to turn things around. At least ... I hope not."

"Fair enough, though I wonder how you would defend against Neviskotia, had Invictus prevailed," Lane said, frowning. "In any case, I guess you valued his strength over his goals?"

Meeting Room

"I'm not offering a thing until I'm back on my feet," Zerachiel scoffed. His eyes shifted toward Anna and the borrowed pistol she held, "which shouldn't be too long if this is how sloppily you people operate." His eyes settled on Kenta, next, but only briefly.

"One more remark like that," Anna's eyes narrowed threateningly, "and the beard's coming off."

"You really hate his beard," Raquel grimaced. Zerachiel laughed.

Infirmary

"We couldn't take over the government before this craziness with the 'skotians wraps up," Leo frowned. He sighed, thinking back on Invictus' operations before things had completely blown up in their faces. They would have needed to capture or kill the royal heirs to pose any threat to the King, and even if they managed to get him too, no one knew where Queen Tiphaney was. She could always step up if Nathon died and rule the country herself. He didn't doubt a grieving queen would turn a blind eye to the empire to root out and exterminate Invictus with extreme prejudice. They might even accomplish their goals through forcing a ferocious huntress into absolute power, but they would probably all die in the process. It wasn't clear what the imperials would do in the meantime ...

"If we managed to win completely, we might be relying on the noble houses for military support for a while," Leo admitted bitterly. The eastern houses were usually cooperative. After all, they would be the first ones to go if the empire gained anymore ground. The western houses would just declare independence if the capital region fell, and then negotiate. That would be the end of Ursium.

Edited by Phoenix

"Only an hour or so, ago... I think." Her sense of time after the fight had been rather distorted, thanks to her own pain and all the carnage. "Uriel is a wonderful healer, and he made sure to patch the wound, but... Well, with how permanent light magic tends to be, I... I don't suppose there would be any dark magic healers here? I'm not sure if you can fix it, otherwise..." She shivered, thinking of those tendrils doing anything inside of her, but... What must be done, must be done.

"I see," Lane said, as he noted how the prisoner's tone soured when he admitted that the nobility would have to come into play. From what it sounded like, Invictus' rebellion was more of a coup, in that it aimed to replace the royal family. He wasn't about to point that out and kick the man while he was down, so he settled for a mere "Interesting".

Infirmary

There really wasn't anything that could be done an hour after the fact, though the nurse wasn't sure what to make of part of what Amalia had said. "Permanent light magic? Were you attacked with light magic?" she asked, hoping to clear that up sooner rather than later. "If you were injured that long ago there isn't anything else I can do, not unless it's a broken bone. We don't have any dark mages here, either. Rather," she quickly amended herself, "no healers."

Leo looked over at the exchange. If they were in Neviskotia it wouldn't be hard to find a healer that knew how to address normally permanent injuries. It was one area where Ursium seemed to willingly cede the advantage to its rival.

"Er, yes, I said that when I came in..." Perhaps the nurse was tired, and has missed her mentioning of light magic. "Though that is... Unfortunate. It's alright though, the risks you take going into battle. Uhm, would you have any clothes to change into, then? It left a rather nasty hole in mine." Her lungs would have to wait until they chanced upon the rarity that was a dark magic healer, and one they could trust to do such delicate work. It couldn't be much worse than the dull throbbing going on in her back already, could it? Only time would tell.

Xenia

"On one hand," Xenia laid her left flat to indicate, "you've got Weyland, Raj and the people who caught you. On the other," she raised her left and put out her right, "you, and unsubstantiated promises. Really, if anyone would take your side in this there isn't a staff in this world strong enough to fix what's wrong with their head."

Xenia looked at the red-head. "Why stop with the beard? Shave off that rag of top-hair and if that doesn't teach'em get someone to have a go at the shorts."