If FE15 goes with a three game system again

Jedi

Now I love Fates, the characters and supports that do shine really shine (P.S I wanted Kagero popularity art but you can't win them all :P:). The gameplay is pretty amazing, arguably the best the series has offered, the worldbuilding and stuff... yeah needs some work.

But in my dream scenario lets forget that and go with what I hope to see if they go with a 3 game system again, overall I felt it worked pretty well, you had 3 differing takes on Maps (and every route had obviously exclusive maps, more so in Revelations) and characters, exclusive classes and such. I REALLY loved it overall and felt it was actually worth the money, and I say that as someone who usually looks for deals 80% of the time.

One of my favorite historical (And when done fictionally as well), periods of time to study is the Chinese Three Kingdoms Era, which was a period of time starting around 220 AD, but the conflict that went to that point started around 180ish, with the Yellow Scarves/Turban rebellion, now why did I bring this up?

Well if they wanted to do 3 games again, why not try three different perspectives (again), its a long shot, I don't know if they'll get the reception they need to improve on the lackluster writing (although I did really enjoy Birthrights story, maybe I'm just a sucker for simple things).

Have a war that has 3 warring kingdoms or nations, trying to conquer each other, no right or wrong, just the leaders morals to go by and their methods like why do they want to rule this nation/region etc, the main character could be a hermit of sorts who's actually studied stuff their entire life/practiced some war stuff or something and then all 3 leaders one by one will visit him/her, hearing of their talents as opposed to say Robin or Corrin, their main importance would be more as an adviser/warrior for the leader they pick. The main focus in the 3 routes would be the ruler they selected to serve, with them chiming in of course, but they wouldn't be the core focus, they'd be our eyes basically.

The scenario could also be like, the 3 all tell you stories of how they came to be the rulers of their respective kingdoms and their fight against warlords and the other 2 powerful factions, and from that, the world building starts, you see all 3, and your characters little rural province as well would play a little bit of a role starting off. This could be the first set of chapters, up to maybe chapter 10, so you can have a good bit of building, and from there have about 20 unique chapters per kingdom? I'm not a game designer though, I just have ideas.

Edited by Jedi

One leader will aim for a land of Benevolence

One leader will walk the path of Conquest

One leader will aim to forge alliances

Haha, perhaps :P:

I just love the whole synergy the Shu, Wei, Wu kingdoms do, even in the fictional media, it just works for drama and stuff.

The avatar is the prince of a neutral kingdom caught in between a large conflict. The neutral characters would be our Jeigan, Anna, Jake (as an Archer), and then some other characters.

One kingdom is filled with the most generic FE trope characters ever. Think FE1/3/6's casts. Of course, give them some interesting character twists. The main kingdom is your obvious good, but their main ally is basically Ilia + Frelia. They are the good side, and the blue haired sword lord and his older, blue haired cleric sister arethe MCs. Classes are all classes from the NES and GBA FEs. Think Cavalier, Cleric, Pegasus Knight, Archer, Fighter, and Mage.

One kingdom is the opposing kingdom and they have the Hoshidan classes along with classes from Tellius, Awakening, or some new classes. The kingdom is mainly Western with some Eastern lands as their primary ally. They are invading because the other kingdom worships a different deity than they do. The MC is an older woman who rides a Wyvern and has blonde hair. Classes include Ninja, Dark Mage, Troubadour, Griffon Rider, Apothecary, and Oni Savage.

The neutral route involves picking to take up arms against both sides, but both sides end up joining the Avatar gradually until they unite against the great threat, an ancient evil beneath the earth that both deities were meant to stop. The idea is that we'd be able to convince members from both sides gradually, with the Lords from the other games joining near last. Maybe a new lord for this route? She'd be someone who'd be on both other routes but only becomes important on the third route.

Maybe this isn't an answer to the thread but I don't think IS can pull off a 3 faction/route game. They couldn't even pull off 2 factions very well, with both Hoshido and Conquest having plenty of filler content. Each route would need it's own set of characters and maps so I think it would be too much work to make a (good) game with that much diversity.

How about a Fire Emblem game that takes place in a single country with it's own conflicts rather than be about the war between two or more countries? I feel like that idea would allow for a lot more of experimentation while still allowing the story to feel Fire Emblem-ish.

It could have multiple protagonists, allow for a more natural take on Grey Morality rather than Fates' horrid attempt at it and most of all, it allows for a more focused plot, if the entire game happened in one place the developers have a much easier time fleshing out the culture, history and people that reside in said country, as long as they can make sure the country seems neither too large or too small, it can work.

Edited by OakTree

I'm positive they can make FE15 with three versions. Fates is already a success and the series has gotten some nice momentum they can take advantage of. If they keep the Pokemon way, I'm fine with it. Just learning about the flaws and enhancing gameplay, characters and general script. I'm really happy with Fates so far.

I think this is a slippery slope to walk. While the gameplay is top notch for the most part, Intelligent Systems proved that they simply couldn't handle a story split into three parts. If they were to try it again, I'd suggest trying to limit the scope of the choice itself and make it more focused with clearer consequences.

For instance, the story could focus on a mercenary band similar to Ike's that lends its strength to three different factions in a civil war; ultimately, way later than chapter six like in Fates, you'd have to choose which side you support and thus decide the fate of the country. There's a lot that can be done with a simple idea like that, although I won't pretend that I have thought about it for very long it so maybe it's not a good fit for a Fire Emblem game at all.

Of course, there's always the possibility that they decide to do two versions (or one, obviously), just in case they thought Fates was a bit too hard to pull off narrative-wise.

I think this is a slippery slope to walk. While the gameplay is top notch for the most part, Intelligent Systems proved that they simply couldn't handle a story split into three parts. If they were to try it again, I'd suggest trying to limit the scope of the choice itself and make it more focused with clearer consequences.

For instance, the story could focus on a mercenary band similar to Ike's that lends its strength to three different factions in a civil war; ultimately, way later than chapter six like in Fates, you'd have to choose which side you support and thus decide the fate of the country. There's a lot that can be done with a simple idea like that, although I won't pretend that I have thought about it for very long it so maybe it's not a good fit for a Fire Emblem game at all.

Of course, there's always the possibility that they decide to do two versions (or one, obviously), just in case they thought Fates was a bit too hard to pull off narrative-wise.

I agree its a bit of a slippery slope, it was more of a what I'd like to see in a dream like scenario.

The mercenary idea sounds pretty interesting though I'll say that.

Maybe this isn't an answer to the thread but I don't think IS can pull off a 3 faction/route game. They couldn't even pull off 2 factions very well, with both Hoshido and Conquest having plenty of filler content. Each route would need it's own set of characters and maps so I think it would be too much work to make a (good) game with that much diversity.

I'm not sure they can either to be honest, but its more of a "what I'd like to see", but I highly doubt it'll be realized, one of my favorite games of all time Ogre Battle 64, had multiple times where you had to choose the order of missions and differing ones, they'd change who you'd run into or the general opinion of you at large, I just guess I'd like to see something like that.

Rather than a version split akin to Fates, I could see a single game with multiple routes (and the junction point being closer to halfway through the game instead of the first 1/5. I'd like to see more politics in Fire Emblem so I think it would be cool if at some point you use marriage between the MC and someone else in order to secure an alliance. Characters would divided into factions and if you choose anyone of that faction, you'd get them as an ally, which would alter the course of the story. There would also be a "don't marry anyone/wait until later to get married" route.

This is a little subjective but I think one of Fates' weak points is not telling you much about either faction before you are forced to choose between them. If the route split is later on, you can have (or so I'd hope) a lot of world building to make your choice more informed.

Rather than a version split akin to Fates, I could see a single game with multiple routes (and the junction point being closer to halfway through the game instead of the first 1/5. I'd like to see more politics in Fire Emblem so I think it would be cool if at some point you use marriage between the MC and someone else in order to secure an alliance. Characters would divided into factions and if you choose anyone of that faction, you'd get them as an ally, which would alter the course of the story. There would also be a "don't marry anyone/wait until later to get married" route.

This is a little subjective but I think one of Fates' weak points is not telling you much about either faction before you are forced to choose between them. If the route split is later on, you can have (or so I'd hope) a lot of world building to make your choice more informed.

Tons of potential in that idea of yours, I'd like to see it actually done.

FE4/FE5 Remake in one game:

Route 1: Gen 1 main Lord is Sigurd, Gen 2 main Lord is Seliph.

Route 2: Gen 1 main Lord is Quan, Gen 2 main Lord is Leif.

Route 3: Finn, the true hero of Jugdral, is the main Lord on both gens.

I'd be fine with another game split in different paths, since it's the only way i see of them making the gameplay as complex and good as conquest's. I don't really care about what they do with the story, tbh. Your idea is pretty good, though.

They arguably couldn't handle a single story, considering most people agree that awakening's is really terrible.

That said, I do agree that a 2 paths game rather than 3 could be a better idea. IMO there wasn't much need for Revelation gameplay wise, and it probably affected the story of the other 2 paths negatively.

Edited by Nobody

This is a slippery slope in two ways. First, the writing. Until IS gets rid of their current writers and hires new ones, I have no faith in them being able to write complex stories that would be required for this. Fates showed a lot of potential to have a story on par with that of Final Fantasy 7, Mass Effect, Witcher, etc, but due to IS's writing incompetence it didn't. The other part that could be bad is the abuse of this type of system. Sure it worked well this time, but it could easily start to be abused and start blurring the lines between this style of game split, and Pokemon. So while it worked well now, I am worried as to how lazy they could get with dealing with a 3 way split next time.

I'd be fine with another game split in different paths, since it's the only way i see of them making the gameplay as complex and good as conquest's. I don't really care about what they do with the story, tbh. Your idea is pretty good, though.

I could see them focusing 3 different kind of styles, one of the Kingdoms would be like Birthright and more simple overall but still solid, one of them would be akin to Conquest for the hardcore people, and another one would perhaps focus on ye olden Kaga styled stuff like capturing and dismount, because of them being a smaller kingdom with less resources.

How about a Fire Emblem game that takes place in a single country with it's own conflicts rather than be about the war between two or more countries? I feel like that idea would allow for a lot more of experimentation while still allowing the story to feel Fire Emblem-ish.

Blazing Blade? (7)