What in Fire Emblem: Fates did you find the most unintentionally humorous(Spoilers)

Locke087

For me, it was definitely in Revelation when

Izana died. I just--

"UHHH, SOMETHING ABOUT A DRAGON. That's all I can tell you.

also I'm dying.

BYE."

I kind of just sat there going "w-what" for a good minute or so

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The implications on Birthright that Flora and Felicia's dad was straight up executed when Garon sent someone else to crush the rebellion and the implication that Layla who has completely different hair from Azura was probably horribly tortured and executed on the Conquest path!

How edgy endgame boss is in Conquest.

Yes, I'm talking about Takumi. Half expected him to say "its not a phase mom! this is who i really am!"

Honestly in that case I find

Garon

casually slapping the siblings with an axe funnier. I'unno, it was harder for me to take him seriously than

Takumi

honestly don't know if her support with Corrin is worse than the ones with the Hoshidan sisters.

That letter, man.

Let's not imply that the Hoshidan brothers don't have the same scene.

Mine:

-Ganglari pulling Corrin off the bridge. It just seemed so... ridiculous. It could have worked, but it needed to be better animated to be clear what was happening; as is it just looked like Corrin jumped off.

-The Deeprealms explanations for the kids. I just laughed.

-Lilith's sacrifice out of nowhere. On both routes, no less! Here is this character I never cared about taking a hit for Corrin in a scene which shouldn't even have happened, and somehow it manages to happen in two separate scenes, one on each route. C'mon.

-And finally, yes, the fact that a game which is partially about exploring the bonds between siblings puts that in the back seat because the avatar must be able to fuck everyone (of the socially acceptable gender). With Elise I'm creeped out, with everyone else I just have to laugh.

Edited by Dark Holy Elf

Well the ending of chapter 3 made me go "what in the fuck?" Part of it is the dissonance between me and my character, because when Gunther got thrown off the bridge, I was "That sucks," where as Corin was all "I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU!" Also Lillith saving your ass and introducing My Castle. That was... silly.

What really did me laugh and shake my head was Chapter 5 when Mikoto sacrificed herself. At that point I laughed at the attempt at drama and sadness for a character we hardly know, shook my head, and realized that the story will be more of the same generic JRPG plot with some moments of greatness and sheer stupidity.

Well the ending of chapter 3 made me go "what in the fuck?" Part of it is the dissonance between me and my character, because when Gunther got thrown off the bridge, I was "That sucks," where as Corin was all "I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU!" Also Lillith saving your ass and introducing My Castle. That was... silly.

What really did me laugh and shake my head was Chapter 5 when Mikoto sacrificed herself. At that point I laughed at the attempt at drama and sadness for a character we hardly know, shook my head, and realized that the story will be more of the same generic JRPG plot with some moments of greatness and sheer stupidity.

Mhmm. I also found it funny that this seemingly important character (being your mother and the queen of Hoshido) was literally killed the chapter after she was introduced. Let it never be said that IS doesn't run a tight schedule.

In Conquest 25, when

Ryouma snaps and lashes out at you, thinking you killed Hinoka. "No more games! To the death!" Then the chapter begins and "Ryouma will wait patiently for his revenge, but only up to 25 turns".

In Conquest 24, Hinoka's pegachopter.

Lilith. Both saving and

sacrificing for you. Playing on Hard you can actually feel how tough and hard the map and the enemies actually are, but that scene was super silly. They even leave her body for the Faceless. Where the heck was the rest of the army and the other siblings?

Endgame, when

you die, meet Mikoto and Ryouma again and even become friends with Takumi. Also, the reaction of the boss.

Actually, in the very beginning of the game when Uchiha Madara Ryouma is charging the Nohr troops with acrobatics and when Xander makes his horse jump off a cliff to charge at him.

Edited by Lanko

Birthright when you visit the ice village.

Flora burns herself to death (somehow) rather than just kill herself quickly with a knife, all while patiently chatting with the party. I thought self immolation would involve... more screaming? The funny part was that I was carefully reading through the Japanese dialogue so it took me a lot longer to get through the scene. Flora burned for a long time because of me.

The author literally brought back a dead character to settle an important subplot while other more important minor characters were LITERALLY waiting inside of small circles. I don't think anything in Fates can compare to that, and it's hard for me to admit.

Fates will never be as bad as Naruto. I mean, Naruto constantly brought characters back to life just so they could chat with other significant characters. Fates would never do....oh.

Fates will never be as bad as Naruto. I mean, Naruto constantly brought characters back to life just so they could chat with other significant characters. Fates would never do....oh.

I was about to say that I don't remember anyone getting brought back to life, but then I remembered Arete, Mikoto and Sumeragi, so I'm just gonna shut my mouth.

The thing Fates has above Naruto is that we don't have a "welcome home salad" moment. Anyway what I found funny was the scene in Conquest where

Corrin for the life of them doesn't notice that Azura is the mystery dancer. Seriously Corrin she has the same hair style and everything except for the dress what is wrong with you?

I think the animations for the horses are ridiculous too. How did Xander's horse not break its legs after jumping off that cliff?

Edited by Frelia

The thing Fates has above Naruto is that we don't have a "welcome home salad" moment. Anyway what I found funny was the scene in Conquest where

Corrin for the life of them can't notice that Azura is the mystery dancer. Seriously Corrin she has the same hair style and everything except for the dress what is wrong with you?

I think the animations for the horses are ridiculous too. How did Xander's horse not break its legs after jumping off that cliff?

We also don't have a Great Snake Escape, general Uchiha wankery or 'everyone can be redeemed' equivalent either. Seriously, as much as I won't defend Fates writing, comparing it to Naruto in anything other than a 'at least it's not this bad' way is too harsh.

We also don't have a Great Snake Escape, general Uchiha wankery or 'everyone can be redeemed' equivalent either. Seriously, as much as I won't defend Fates writing, comparing it to Naruto in anything other than a 'at least it's not this bad' way is too harsh.

Instead we have the Exploding Crystal Escape and powers-as-the-plot-demands Iago. There are plenty of valid comparisons.

Both Naruto and Fates have their good moments of writing, but lets not pretend that they don't share some of their weaknesses.

Instead we have the Exploding Crystal Escape and powers-as-the-plot-demands Iago. There are plenty of valid comparisons.

Both Naruto and Fates have their good moments of writing, but lets not pretend that they don't share some of their weaknesses.

If all you're going to do is complain about Fates, may I suggest finding something more productive to do with your time? Preferably something that leaves you fulfilled, and makes the world a better place, like reading stuff that you think is good writing.

Focusing on nothing but the bad will mess with how you see things outside of SF, whether you consciously realize it or not. It's okay to be unhappy/disappointed about how Fates turned out, but don't wallow in it.

Remember what I told TC way back on page 1? It applies to you, too.

The comparisons are their and the weaknesses are shared, but putting them on the same level is quite the exaggeration. Kaze's crystal escape reads like a Hail Mary 'I hope this works because if it doesn't, we're dead'. The Great Snake Escape is like having a mage's last weapon break, and then when the enemy attacks them they get to pull the Book of Naga out of their arse.

And don't even get me started on powers-as-the-plot demands, because here's how it goes in Naruto

[spoiler=For length. Also, I'm no expert on Naruto lore, so feel free to call me out if I get anything wrong]

"So Uchiha's get this thing called the Sharingan that lets them read an opponents moves and copy moves."

"Wow, that's pretty interesting."

"Oh, and you know how Rock Lee trained for years to become a physical beast? Well Sasuke can use the Sharingan to copy that for a short amount of time."

"Umm, wouldn't that have more to do with physical fitness then technique?"

"But wait, there's also an upgraded version that lets them create a black fire than can burn through anything as well as an illusion that lets you torture them for a long time, but they lose their eyesight overtime by using them."

"Okay, that's pretty weird and out-of-nowhere, but-"

"Oh, wait! I forgot to mention they also get an indestructible shield that can block anything while also attacking things, and Itachi will use this to win a fight despite no prior foreshadowing or demonstration!"

"Umm, I don't know why you'd introduce it like that. As I was saying, that's a pretty out-of-nowhere development, but at least the drawbacks can balance it out somewhat,"

"Ah, but here's where it gets good! There's an upgraded version of the upgraded version that gets rid of the drawbacks while also making the abilities even stronger!"

"Umm, that actually sounds pretty bullshit. The upgraded version works perfectly fi-"

"And if you combine the Sharingan with Senju DNA, it can become the Rinnegan!

"Wait, what? I thought only Pain could have the Rinnegan, and isn't he meant to be the reincarnation of God or something?"

"What, no! Pain only gets the Rinnegan because of an eye transplant from an Uchiha. Anyway, if they do this, they can use both Rinnegan and Sharingan powers!"

"Dude, stop. This is getting ridiculous. Anyway, why is Madara using the shield thing without his eyes? I thought you needed eyes to use Sharingan powers?"

"Yeah, so?"

Edited by Phillius

The author literally brought back a dead character to settle an important subplot while other more important minor characters were LITERALLY waiting inside of small circles. I don't think anything in Fates can compare to that, and it's hard for me to admit.

Weeeell... fates kinda did that actually in Revelation...

But more seriously, what I said about Naruto being 'a perfect example' was just another joke pointed for it's expenses, just for good laugh, it's been finished for years. We're here to laugh, no ?

I did not expect it to turn like that, I'm sorry, I didn't intended to start/continue this mess.

On another subject Felicia's "We've got trouble !" So narm, but so fun. Though the magic seem to disappear quickly. :/

The comparisons are their and the weaknesses are shared, but putting them on the same level is quite the exaggeration. Kaze's crystal escape reads like a Hail Mary 'I hope this works because if it doesn't, we're dead'. The Great Snake Escape is like having a mage's last weapon break, and then when the enemy attacks them they get to pull the Book of Naga out of their arse.

And don't even get me started on powers-as-the-plot demands, because here's how it goes in Naruto

[spoiler=For length. Also, I'm no expert on Naruto lore, so feel free to call me out if I get anything wrong]

"So Uchiha's get this thing called the Sharingan that lets them read an opponents moves and copy moves."

"Wow, that's pretty interesting."

"Oh, and you know how Rock Lee trained for years to become a physical beast? Well Sasuke can use the Sharingan to copy that for a short amount of time."

"Umm, wouldn't that have more to do with physical fitness then technique?"

"But wait, there's also an upgraded version that lets them create a black fire than can burn through anything as well as an illusion that lets you torture them for a long time, but they lose their eyesight overtime by using them."

"Okay, that's pretty weird and out-of-nowhere, but-"

"Oh, wait! I forgot to mention they also get an indestructible shield that can block anything while also attacking things, and Itachi will use this to win a fight despite no prior foreshadowing or demonstration!"

"Umm, I don't know why you'd introduce it like that. As I was saying, that's a pretty out-of-nowhere development, but at least the drawbacks can balance it out somewhat,"

"Ah, but here's where it gets good! There's an upgraded version of the upgraded version that gets rid of the drawbacks while also making the abilities even stronger!"

"Umm, that actually sounds pretty bullshit. The upgraded version works perfectly fi-"

"And if you combine the Sharingan with Senju DNA, it can become the Rinnegan!

"Wait, what? I thought only Pain could have the Rinnegan, and isn't he meant to be the reincarnation of God or something?"

"What, no! Pain only gets the Rinnegan because of an eye transplant from an Uchiha. Anyway, if they do this, they can use both Rinnegan and Sharingan powers!"

"Dude, stop. This is getting ridiculous. Anyway, why is Madara using the shield thing without his eyes? I thought you needed eyes to use Sharingan powers?"

"Yeah, so?"

The saddest thing is you only got one part wrong.

Pain had the Rinnegan the whole time. Obito stole it from Pain, Madara stole it from Obito, and Sasuke was just given it by old man plot device.

All we need now is for Iago to have a backstory similar to Sasuke.

The saddest thing is you only got one part wrong.

Pain had the Rinnegan the whole time. Obito stole it from Pain, Madara stole it from Obito, and Sasuke was just given it by old man plot device.

All we need now is for Iago to have a backstory similar to Sasuke.

Nope, they were transplanted into him by Madara without him knowing...somehow. Here's the sauce.

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Nagato

You don't have to go far, it's the second and third line in his background.

What I said about Naruto earlier was supposed to be humorous. I'm really sorry about that. Speaking of Naruto I really want to see someone make a "welcome home salad" parody for this game. I know that quote was a mistraslation, but it's hilarious.

Back on topic it's hard for me to take f!Corrin voice 1 crying sound clips seriously because of how bad it sounds. Are m!Corrin's voice 1 crying sound clips like that? And speaking of silly animations the Blacksmith critical hit and Great Knight animations in general are amazing. How is that horse spinning around and jumping in that heavy armor? The Blacksmith's critical hit animation is something you have to see.

Edited by Frelia

Yeah but at least Fates does it quickly; they don't bring back Sumeragi to take care of something while all the protagonists wait inside of circles and chat about how awesome he is.

Weeeell... fates kinda did that actually in Revelation...

But more seriously, what I said about Naruto being 'a perfect example' was just another joke pointed for it's expenses, just for good laugh, it's been finished for years. We're here to laugh, no ?

I did not expect it to turn like that, I'm sorry, I didn't intended to start/continue this mess.

On another subject Felicia's "We've got trouble !" So narm, but so fun. Though the magic seem to disappear quickly. :/

Hm? Why are you apologizing? I'm sorry if I came across as being mad or something, I was going for incredulous.

Naruto DOES contain perfect examples of bad writing. It also has a tendency to just throw shit at the reader and expect them to swallow it, like how everyone in that universe is a proficient eye surgeon.

Huh, it's done quickly... that's a good point.

Chakra can explain everything which I'm fine with actually, it's something that is established since the very begining of the manga.

Except when you can literally create eyes out of nothing, that... that was BS.

I was apoligizing for, like I said, for being a part of bringing the salt, anger out of people here unwilingly, I mean, this topic is all about fun, yeah ? So, I felt bad. And visibly, I'm not the only one.

What I said about Naruto earlier was supposed to be humorous. I'm really sorry about that. Speaking of Naruto I really want to see someone make a "welcome home salad" parody for this game. I know that quote was a mistraslation, but it's hilarious.

Back on topic it's hard for me to take f!Corrin voice 1 crying sound clips seriously because of how bad it sounds. Are m!Corrin's voice 1 crying sound clips like that? And speaking of silly animations the Blacksmith critical hit and Great Knight animations in general are amazing. How is that horse spinning around and jumping in that heavy armor? The Blacksmith's critical hit animation is something you have to see.

Oh Speaking of animations, The generic Merchant animation is something to behold !