Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 2

Shin

[spoiler=The story so far]

In the humble country of Wyke, Prince Owen was alerted by his father than a rogue noble known as Dettard was conspiring with the bandit nation of Magonsaete. The king being too sickly to travel himself, Owen was sent in his place, taking along Lionel and his other men. His younger sister, Cassandra, then invited herself along, aiding Owen in his journey. Joined by the "charming" rogue, Sidney, Owen learned of skulduggery, vowing to get to the bottom of the issue.

Meanwhile, Lady Adeltrudis of Herman met with her father, and was introduced to Jean the Red, a Toulese noble. After being attacked at their lakeside manor, she learned of Owen's quest, taking her brother, Graham, and their butler Jeeves. Joined by Niko and Doug, the group met up with Owen's and joined forces.

Battling through the forest, Lionel's men arrived to assist Owen, following them to Dettard's castle. Once there, Dettard claimed that he was Owen's half brother, but was bested in a duel by the noble prince. Inside was the monstrous Baleros, a man-beast with strength beyond belief. With some quick thinking from Angus of Kearney, Baleros was eventually slain. However, part of the group had remained outside, with two of Lionel's men falling to enemy forces. Jeeves the butler also succumbed to his failing health, passing away shortly after the battle.

With heavy hearts, Owen and friends return to Hull, the capital, looking to find some answers.

The battle at Dettard's manor had been a cruel one. Despite besting the treacherous cur, Owen's group had received their own losses. Still, there were so many things left unexplained, so many questions behind Dettard's actions. However, those had waited until they returned to the capital, where they were quickly met by the King's men. Dettard was detained, taken away to the dungeon, whilst Owen, Cassandra, his vassals and Sidney were summoned before the King.

Adele, her brother, Jean and her mercenaries were taken aside to speak to Duke Herman, who had rushed to the capital after Adele had not returned.

Castle Gaffney's throne room

It was very much a surprise to see the king seated on his throne, Owen hadn't seen him out of bed for several weeks now. Dressed formally, with his crown on his head, Oswald looked up Owen and his men, all stood at the base of his throne's steps. Smiling, Oswald let out a sigh of relief. Oddly enough, there were no guards in the throne room, only the king's own retainers had remained.

"My dear children, I am relieved to see you return in good health, and proud that have succeeded in halting Dettard's foolish acts." he announced, his voice tainted with a hint of sickness. "Our kingdom will remain strong with you as its protectors, I could not be prouder as a king, nor could I be prouder as a father. Cassandra, you may have gone against my wishes, but I had received confirmation you were unharmed. I care for you dearly, please take that in mind next time you choose to act."

Oswald coughed a few times, a trickle of blood visible on his lip. Wiping his mouth quickly, he looked upon Owen's men. "Noble vassals, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for supporting Prince Owen through the challenges he faced. You will be rewarded in due time, you have achieved a great deal for those of your age." Oswald stopped, looking at Sidney for a moment, as if he were choosing his words carefully. "Ah yes, you must be the other woman. I thank you dearly for your own efforts, you do the crown a great service."

Owen's party are free to respond! Remember, you're talking in front of the King!

Meeting with Duke Herman

Having taken one of the smaller meeting rooms, Duke Herman had arranged to meet his own children in private. It was a far less formal setting than the throne room, Tobias had always preferred a more personal approach with his children.

"Adeltrudis, Graham, Sir Jean." he spoke, watching as the others entered the room. "All of you, please do take a seat. You may not be of noble creed, but your assistance to my children is much appreciated. I feared that something had happened when you did not return after a few days... however, Jeeves had written to me multiple times, ensuring that I knew of your safety. I apologise, I knew of our King's task for Prince Owen but I feared you would put yourselves at risk if you knew of it."

Tobias twirled his mustache, eyeing Niko and Doug. Doug's attire perplexed him, he wasn't entirely sure whether this were a rather uncharming young woman or a perverted young man. His manners were enough for him to shelf the thoughts for now, but he continued his speech.

"I cannot say we are acquainted. I have been informed that you are both mercenaries, and that of fine quality. I am Duke Herman, father of Adeltrudis and Graham. Your service to my family is very much appreciated. If you were still looking for employment, I ask you to remain as our guests for a while, and for us to discuss once you have had time to rest."

Adele and her group are free to respond!

Edited by Shin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The heavy thoughts that had weighed on Cassandra's mind had made themselves fairly scarce after returning home. As much as she felt trapped in these walls, sometimes, they were warm and caring. A gentle prison, if you would. So any worries of allies dying or keeling over began to dissipate as more and more familiar faces came into view, even if they were just workers, maids or butlers. It was cathartic, in a sense.

What wasn't was the continued worry from her Father. While she was glad he was proud of her-- and he was, right? She had been a part of this --he still continued to pick her, specifically, for his extra worries. It felt a bit demeaning. Had she been the same as before she had left, she may have ignored it, but she felt the need to speak now. "I welcome your praise, but... Perhaps, Father, if I had any level of freedom in the castle, I wouldn't feel the need to rush off at the first sign of something interesting. I realize you care, but there's a point where it becomes too much, you know? From doting to near captivity. You don't treat Owen at all the same as you treat me, in this regard. I am just as capable as he is outside of politics."

And she was right! She could fight just fine. Owen was honestly better suited for these castle dealings, if someone had to be forced to stay behind. Yet it was always her, unless she forced her way out, or snuck out without anyone looking. Until she gained at least a modicum of freedom, to at least decide for herself what to do while cooped up in this stone box, she would forever be bothered by her Father's decisions. Though, as strong as she felt, It was a bit embarrassing to challenge him in front of not only Owen, but the rest of their retainers. Still, what good would waiting until he was alone, do? At least this way, maybe someone would back her up. She glanced at Angus for a moment, wondering if he would say anything.

Edited by Melissa

Oswald didn't seem to take much notice of Cassandra's complaints, brushing them off as if he had shoelaces to tie. "Cassandra, we are not discussing that now, we have more important matters to attend to. There is business that needs to be dealt with, this conversation will have to wait for another time. I am far more interested in resolving our woes with Dettard and Magonsaete. There's also the matter of his estate... Owen, we will have to discuss who shall receive it, Dettard has no other living relatives."

It was very much like the king to dismiss Cassandra's complaints, expecting her to simply follow along with what he had said. Surely praise was enough, and he certainly didn't want to encourage any bad habits.

"...Then when will we discuss it!?" Cassandra grit her teeth. Again, dismissal. Always, dismissal. This topic would never be discussed unless she pushed it out somewhere where it didn't belong and made him speak. And it felt awful to do so. This was supposed to be a discussion about exactly what he had said, Dettard and the manner of why they had left, but was it now or never? She wanted to feel important enough to be able to speak her mind and have it be heard, or else what was she? If the answer was a showpiece, waiting to be married off, then she would just leave. Maybe find some awful group of mercenaries if things went too far, ride the countryside and fight bandits for the rest of her days.

And maybe she was being dramatic, but when would it end? Had she not shown she was capable enough to manage this by going along with Owen? Did her Father think she sat there and healed the entire time, never engaging in combat? It was so frustrating...!

Sidney had prettied herself up a bit before leaving for the capital- a hair ribbon and borrowed dress did wonders for her image, and she was certain to be on her best behavior before the king. "A privilege to meet you, Your Majesty," she spoke respectfully when addressed, curtsying before him. "I am Lady Charlotte Sidney Montana, from Raewald- my father is a Marquess, and a member of the Raewalden court. I've been traveling for a long time, but I found myself at a difficult crossroads after a few unfortunate decisions. I was very lucky to encounter Prince Owen, and he was quite accepting of me when we met. I must say it has been a pleasure to be of service to him, and it is an honor to receive your praise. Wykian hospitality is quite generous. I am unsure as to where I will be heading next, but I have found myself enjoying your son's company, and most of the others traveling with us as well. If you wouldn't mind, I would love to stay here- I haven't been able to experience much of Hull for myself yet."

She exhaled smoothly after her small introduction. That went well, I think.

"Father..." Owen's voice held a tone of concern as the young prince noticed the blood on his father's lip. The king was quick to wipe it, but it already became imprinted in Owen's mind. Shaking his head and sighing, Owen restrained his concern once Cassandra herself addressed the king. That scene was familiar. She'd beg for more freedom to their father, but it would always reach deaf ears. No... this is ill timing for me to interfere, besides...

"Actually, I have a pressing matter to speak with you, Father. About Dettard and his connection to Magonsaete." Owen begun as soon as Sidney had finished her introduction, "It seemed more like he was being used than plotting mutually with his contacts. The Magonsaete mercenaries plotted to trap us inside Dettard's castle even once I've incapacitated him. Not only were they more organized than I'd expect, it seemed like their objective wasn't tied to Dettard's." Owen bowed, "Forgive me if I seem grasping, but I fear that this group might target us again in the future."

King Oswald nodded, taking Owen's words to heart. He gave Owen a gaze, the man's eyes fully aware of what Owen had seen. Sidney's introduction seemed to have at least not enraged him, and his eyes darted between her and Owen a couple of times before he finally spoke. However, Cass was less fortunate, he had ignored her entirely - his finest tactic.

"Ah yes, my source had specified you were of nobility, although he failed to specify your name. Welcome to the noble kingdom of Wyke. I shall arrange for you to have accommodation whilst you are with us." he replied. "I would advise staying with Owen for the time being, Hull can be daunting without a suitable guide... Owen, that takes me to my next matter. I wish to speak to you alone, you are to meet me at the dungeon in half an hour. The rest of you are dismissed, you will be notified of your rewards within the week."

Rising slowly from his throne, Oswald hobbled towards one of the doors, his gait far more unsteady than Owen recalled.

The rest of Owen's group are free to roam Hull!

And there she was. Ignored again. The only way she would ever be leaving this prison was through sneaking out or having Owen take her with him. She would've stormed out, but Angus' comment was what definitely tipped the scales. "You're no Father of mine! Just an old windbag who favors politics more than his own children!" With fists clenched, that was that. If he wasn't going to listen, then neither was she. She'd just keep sneaking out or beating up whatever guards got in her way to stop her from exploring the world. Without any guards barring the throne room she threw the doors open in her childish display and stormed out, stomping down the halls. She could hear the Hermans discussing in another room, passing it by without a glance.

What she needed was fresh air, maybe something to beat on, maybe someone to talk to that she could trust... What about Mother...? If she was going to be anywhere right now, it was going to be-- "The garden," she said, as the greenery came into view. And her mother was there, relaxing in the same way Cass truly wished she could. "Hello, Mom..." She sighed, and walked up to her, staring down at the ground. "Why... Why does Father have to be such a fatheaded pig, huh?" Etiquette lost. "I don't care if I have the ability to bear a child, I can fight just as well, if not better than most of the people hanging around the castle. Why can't I join them without all of these secret ploys? It's not fair..."

Edited by Melissa

Angus doesn't attempt to intercept Cassandra on her way out; clearly, he would be of no help, especially since he agreed with the King. [i just hope she learns before something happens to her. It could have been any of us at that manse.]

The squire departs promptly, finding his animals outside and making a beeline for the stable. "You've gotta be careful around here, okay, little guy? I'll be sure to show you who's okay and who's not, hm~?" Soon enough he arrives, finding a very familiar face.

"Ho! My friend, do I have a surprise for you!" Angus lifts the bear cub in his arms, despite the other's shock. "I've got to find a way to keep this li'l bugger from running every which way when I can't be with 'im. Any ideas?"

Angus goes to the stables!

Edited by Terrador

Oswald grimaced as Cassandra stormed out, he didn't have any words for her. The girl danced to her own tune, he'd always struggled to keep her under control. Did she not see that he was doing it for her own safety?

--

Eowa wasn't exactly surprised when Cass came storming into the garden, she'd seen the same expression time and time again. Sat down on a bench, Eowa patted the space next to her, inviting her daughter to sit with her. "Cassandra, please sit with your mother. I can understand how you feel." she soothed, there was always a serene graceful air around the woman. "Your father has his way of doing things, and sometimes... lacks in diplomacy. To him, you shall always be his little girl, but you need your space to grow."

The queen adjusted some flowers near her, stopping to look at them for a second. "I'm glad you were able to help Owen. Your brother is still learning about himself, I only hope he will be ready for what life expects of him. Was Adeltrudis there with you? With so many reliable people around you, it puts my own mind at ease."

The Stables

The smell of horse manure wasn't foreign to Angus in the slightest, although that didn't make it any more fragrant. The stable master was a middle aged man, wearing nothing but overalls. With a pitchfork in his hand, and a healthy layer of grime covering him, he looked at Angus as if he were insane.

"Yer want advise on how to raise a bear?" he asked, completely bewildered. "With all due respect, yer be a mooncalf, In my twenty years here, I've never seen anyone who even considered it. If I were t'guess, you'd probably need to keep an eye on it as much as yer can. It's probably a little too big to consider you its mother. My best advice would be to get it to learn where its home is..."

The cub had decided a prime moment to relieve itself, with Angus being its choice. The stable master groaned, looking at the squire.

"No idea if yer can even toilet train a bear. A dog maybe, but a bear just goes wherever it feels like."

Angus laughs, pinching the bear's skin slightly to indicate that he was not the bathroom. "Aye, it's a wild attempt. I'll have it nearby as much as I can, but I can't exactly take it everywhere, y'know?" He shakes his head, remembering how he found it after the battle with Dettard. "It'll chew through rope, mind. An' I think I've heard someone say bears can climb? Just need to figure out how t'contain 'im now and again."

The stablemaster nodded, somewhat amused by Angus' situation. "Just make sure you don't leave it completely unattended, I've heard horror stories about bears eatin' all sorts of things. An' you don't want to be climbing a tree to stop a bear eatin' a cat."

Cassandra sighed and listened. Even if her Mother still doted on her, she gave her more free space than the King did. Much more. "I thought that he would see that I can handle myself, after returning from this. All he said was 'good job, don't do it again'. I'm not a little girl. I didn't just stand there waving around a staff, I fought people-- I killed, people. I can handle myself outside these walls, but... Ugh. He just... Won't accept that. Even if he lets me do it, even if the guards were more lenient the day Owen left, he won't... He won't tell me that he does. And that's what crushes me. That he won't recognize me..."

Cassandra sniffled a bit and hugged her mother, letting her go after a moment. "I am pleased I was able to help Owen, as well. I hope he was proud of me. He'll tell me if he was, even if Father won't. And, yes, Adele was there. It was nice to see her again, despite the circumstances." Nice to see her, for a few reasons... But I definitely... Well, can I? I don't know... "M-Mother what if I... What if I didn't wish, to marry? Er... M-Marry... A man...?" This was something she definitely could not ask her father, given his health. He may have been upset by her words earlier, but this would cause his ailing heart to stop.

Edited by Melissa

The trip back had been mostly uneventful. There were no more battles, no more deaths, just a long trek home. Their audience with the king proved to be little more than a congratulations, rather than discussing the matter at hand. Perhaps there would have been a longer discussion if the princess hadn't spoken up and seemed to irritate the king, but that was water under the bridge now.

Sidney on the other hand had surprised her. Claire was beginning to wonder if she had misjudged her - or perhaps she was just a better liar than the mage had thought. Only time would tell, seeing as she seemed to be remaining in the capital for now. Regardless, the meeting was over before she really had a chance to say anything.

"Prince Owen," she called, hoping to catch him before he left. "Would we be able to speak in private? If you don't have time before your meeting, I'll understand, but..." Her feet shuffled a little bit. She hadn't told anyone about what Dettard had said yet, even if parts of it sounded absurd.

"Yes, well... it came to us, more than anything else. A group of ruffians attacked the villa in pursuit of Owen... we can only assume that whoever may have been behind all of this gave them the wrong location. Once we were made aware of it, we moved to attempt to reinforce Owen and his entourage... it was good fortune that we chose correctly, when we came across them, they were in a rather dire position." Adeltrudis replied, waiting for her father to make mention of it before taking a seat. She noticeably flinched at mention of Jeeves, taking a moment to compose herself before continuing.

"If you were receiving word from Jeeves through mail, then... you should be aware that his letters stopped about halfway through our expedition." The young Lady began, biting her lip.

"During our siege of Dettard's manor, when the majority of our force had entered within the building, a trap was sprung, separating a small group of us outside, to be beset upon by reinforcing cavalry. There were... several casualties. Along with two of Marquess Kylander's retainers, Jeeves fell in the ambush. His health failed him, though he... passed peacefully, after the battle had concluded."

Angus eyeballs the horse pens, wondering if one might be repurposed. If only the bear couldn't climb out...!

"Hrm. D'you think you could get a roof to one of the pens? Figure if he can't climb out we'll have a lot less trouble."

The way back had proved less dangerous than expected, with Lionel, Andromeda and Angus taking the fallen warriors Ermin and Zadkiel back to their homes partway, giving them the customary Kylander funeral rites, with a full soldier salute along with decorations made that looked like little hearts, that was part of their heritage, they were to be the symbols of the peoples love for their people (or honored guests/foes), to wish them a grand afterlife. Ermin and Zadkiels families were guilt-stricken, but their hearts were slightly lifted to hear they at least died fighting honorably. Lionel always hated this part of his job, they were his charges and he had to explain how he as their superior had messed up, and it tore him up every single time.

He once again tried asking Andromeda to stay, but she was stubborn in wanting to aid him with whatever came up next. "I'll protect you..." Lionel had said when she didn't stand down, and it had been settled she'd follow him into whatever situation came up.

Fast Forwarding to the Castle. The meeting King Oswald again in his throne was a welcome sight, but he still looked ill, this was further confirmed when he had coughed up a small bit of blood, Lionel had stayed at attention however in respect. The Princess once again voicing her displeasure with her treatment, although he noticed Angus whisper something to her, and hoped it was something to alleviate the situation, Sidney had also revealed her identity, Lionel hadn't really trusted her at first, but she proved herself in his eyes. Although she still seemed a little too eager to talk to Lord Owen when she could, but he put the thought aside, it wasn't his place to judge such things.

Although after the meeting, he was unsure what to do or go. Maybe to meet with Sir Regulus, to tell him of poor Sir Williams supposed fate. Lionel & Andromeda head off to the Barracks to talk with some of the Knights.

Edited by Jedi

"At the dungeons--" Owen would've reacted to his father's words with more surprise, had Cassandra's outburst not happened. He turned his gaze to observe his sister as she hurried out of the throne room, a wince as her voice raised. Neither of them seem agreeable on this matter. If maybe I could convince father she is safe around me... Owen digressed his own thoughts, shaking his head and turning to face his father once more. "I'll see you there, Father." Owen bowed briefly, before relieving his posture.

Claire's sudden request came as another surprise, Owen turned to look her with some confusion. "Is something the matter?" It was puzzling to hear Claire of all people requesting that. Is it something important? Why did she wait until now? "Uh, I believe I can spare some time if we talk now. Please follow me." Owen led the way outside of the throne room, taking a turn at the first hallway to the nearest empty room --it was a small meeting room, made for squad of soldiers that would patrol the castle, but for now it was empty. Owen held the door open for Claire. "Well, Claire, what is it that you had in mind?"

Sidney was surprised that the king had heard of her noble heritage, though she managed to keep her expression neutral. "Oh, was that already known? Well, I am often told I look very much like my parents, so perhaps the resemblance was noted. Regardless, I am pleased to have made your acquaintance." She then turned to Owen, though Claire managed to speak to him first. "Prince Owen, I will remain near here until your return. I'm looking forward to seeing all there is about Hull!"

Sure enough, she bowed then remained where she was. While not intending to remain in place like a statue, she wasn't entirely sure who to speak with yet, and this stayed still for now.

"Well," she began, trying to think of a way to summarise Dettard's ramblings without sounding like a fool herself. "After the last battle, I spoke to the baron as he woke up. He... he said a lot of strange things." Claire bit her lip. "The first was probably the oddest. He, for some reason, seemed to believe that he could bring his father back to life with some kind of vial. I know this sounds farfetched," her voice deflated slightly. "But the way he spoke was- well, he definitely believed it."

She shrugged her shoulders slightly, as if she wasn't sure if she should've brought it up in the first place. "He claimed responsibility for his father's death during the process. He said it was a hunting accident, or something." She couldn't really remember, truth be told, but it got the point across. "He... wanted his father to tell the other nobles about 'his heritige', and seemed to think it would bring him closer to the crown." She still had no idea what that meant. She glanced at the prince expectantly, wondering if he knew. Even if he did, whether or not he would volunteer the information was another story, but she couldn't help but wonder...

"Your father will accept it in time." she replied, patting Cassandra on the head. "He's just afraid something will happen to you, but he knows he can't hide you away forever... each day you grow bolder and stronger, closer to being a grown woman."

Eowa seemed a little puzzled by her daughter's last statement. She'd always hoped that she'd be blessed with grandchildren, but she was very aware that Cassandra needed to take things at her own pace. "You're still young, don't worry about things like getting married for now." she laughed, still quite getting the message. "I would rather you married to make yourself happy than to please your father. I'm sure we'd approve of anyone you presented to us. As long as it's not a bear!"

-

Tobias paused for a moment, looking down at his hands. Normally a stoic man, it was rare that he showed any signs of sorrow or sadness in front of his children. "I see, that's rather difficult for me to hear." he replied, wiping his eye slowly. Leaning forwards, he spoke to the group.

"Jeeves had been in our family's service for forty years... I only wish I'd convinced him to retire sooner, he was adamant about seeing yourself and Graham through." Tobias added, replacing his hankerchief into his pocket. "He was no ordinary butler, there was far more to him than that... but I'll save that for another day. Don't blame yourselves, my children, I'm sure he is as proud of you as I am."

-

The Stablekeeper looked shocked, did he really intend on housing the bear in the stables. "You want to keep it here?" he gasped, still amazed at the outrageous suggestion. "The knights keep their horses in these stables, I don't think they'd be appreciatin' a lordling's pet bear."

-

Andromeda had kept relatively quiet for much of the journey, although Lionel knew too well of her pain. Once the king had finished with them, Andromeda followed her lord obediently to the barracks. As they entered, they saw a whole collection of soldiers, all undergoing various drills. At the centre, Lionel could recognise Captain Hogan, the grueling combat instructor from his own training. It had been a fair while since they'd last met, and aside from a little grey hair, he hadn't changed at all.

"Collins! If you think the enemy's going to wait whilst you rest, you've got another thing coming!" he barked, berating a young recruit. "Another seventy thrusts, no stopping, son!"

Turning around, the man was rather surprised to see Lionel, recognising the man almost instantly.

"Well, if it isn't Kylander." he laughed, the recruits all looking over at Lionel. "Now this man is an example of things done right. He could spear an apple through its core with an arm behind his back. He certainly never needed a breather."

"I hope he realizes it sooner than later," she managed, hoping her mother was right on this. As for her other question, maybe her mother didn't quite understand her, so... Would being more blunt help? "Well, then... What if I... Wanted to marry Adele?" She swallowed, face flushing slightly crimson. "That's marrying to make myself happy, right? I'm sure Owen can handle passing the name down..."

Eowa as a little taken a back by Cassandra's comment. Was it some sort of joke? She'd always thought Owen would be the one to marry Adele, they seemed so close. Yet then again, it would explain their closeness. Eowa hadn't even been as close to her own sister as Cassandra had been to Adele.

"Just be careful what you say around your father, heavens know how he would respond." Eowa warned, still not entirely sure how she felt about the situation. "It's not that I disapprove... it just seems so strange. If you truly are serious about it, I would support you, I just worry about how the rest of the world would see you."