Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 2

Shin

It was slight, but Adeltrudis was still taken a bit aback, to see her father visibly need clear his eyes of a tear. It was not exactly like him to allow such a thing to be seen, though human as he was, she assumed it must occur, from time to time.

"Yes, he was always quite adamant once his mind was set... even I could not convince him to remove himself from battle, and had to watch his health fade away as the days passed..." Adele replied, gritting her teeth and clenching her fists, recalling those memories. If only she had been more convincing...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"There's a reason I told you and not him! With his health I fear something like this might push him over the line." She was only half joking. He would definitely be outraged to hear something like this, and that outrage could ruin his failing heart. She hated him right now... But she didn't want him dead. Far from it. If he could live another ten, twenty years, and she could make it happen, she would in an instant. It would've been nice to have him watch her grow up, all the way, but...

"You act as if I'm one to let strangers under my skin. If they become an issue, I'll remove them myself~ Not to worry about that, Mother!" She smiled, a bit, hopping up and placing her hands on her hips. "Right! I feel better, getting that all off of my chest. It's good to hear someone that understands, about everything. I should see who's up and about the castle! Thank you so much, Mother~" She gave her mother another quick, but tight hug, and rushed back off to the halls, hoping to run into someone. Maybe she could even run into Adele~ Or Owen would be done talking to the king! Either way, she needed to bother someone to keep this mood going.

Niko bowed to the Duke, but remained quiet while they discussed Jeeves. As Adele discussed what had happened to him, he fidgeted, slightly uncomfortable, before quietly interjecting. "I apologize for interrupting, but I will say my piece and then perhaps we can leave your family to your grief as I do not wish to intrude on such a clearly emotional moment. Our services are not required elsewhere, and we would be willing to discuss the possibility of continuing to work with your family. However, after seeing the previous battles, there is no way that I could in good conscious continue to serve with only two men. As such, I would ask your leave to search for at least one more mercenary to add to our ranks." Ideally we would find another healer as well but... not the time. Perhaps I can ask the princess to teach me if she would not object... Though to embroil myself further in royalty... Bah.

Owen took a seat, furrowing his brows as Claire relayed what she heard Dettard say the best she could. It didn't take long for Owen to draw the meaning of it himself. "A vial? I... I might have that." He retrieved a small vial from his pockets, holding it in front of Claire. "I retrieved this from Baleros, that monster of a man, once I took him down. It was one of the few belongings he had at all." Owen gave another look at the concoction, "I... I don't think this is what Dettard thought it was. He was probably tricked..." That said, he had no idea what it was either, and if Dettard's mercs had it in possession...

The mention of Dettard's father had Owen shift his eyes immediately back to Claire, his expression growing somber. "I... I see." He bit his lip --in a sense, he could see how Dettard's mind worked, but it did still seem futile of the young man. "He was a desperate man, I have no doubt he was influenced by someone to think that, although..." Owen stared at the vial again, his mind evading the situation for a brief moment. "...Claire, take this. It should be what Dettard spoke of. Talk to your peers, maybe a high mage or an apothecary could know this potion's true nature." He lifted his arm, offering the vial to the mage. "However, don't let anyone take it away from you until I speak to you again. That is an order."

Lionel couldn't help but smile as he saw Captain Hogan. "Still whipping the men into shape eh?" The captain hadn't changed at all it seemed except for the praise [well towards him anyways], memories of when Lionel first went to Hull flooded his mind briefly, the many strenuous drills were always a test of endurance, be it physical or even mental. Captain Hogan was really tough, but he meant well generally. "It's nice to see you again old friend" he looked on at the many recruits doing their drills, [Yep same old Hogan...]

Angus scratches his chin with filthy fingers, not having considered the other knights' worries. "Eh, can't say I blame 'em. Guess I'll just carry a shit rag and keep 'im by my side for the time bein'." The squire departs, leaving Agro behind; it was high time for him to introduce the bear to a more civilized setting.

Angus departs for the Nobles' Wards!

Well, Cass wasn't one hundred percent, but there was a small spring to her step as she wandered the halls. The talk with her mother had straightened a lot out for her, so she couldn't dwell on her idiot father all day. Instead, there was another idiot to dwell on. A certain Angus... Walking around the noble's quarters, covered in mud, his bear following him!? "Angus!" she gasped, scoffing and charging over to him. She couldn't even believe... The mess, how... And the smell...! "What are you doing!?" She didn't know what else to ask! The poor maids, cleaning up this mess... "Ugh, no, this will not stand! Come with me!" She made sure to check his hands, reluctantly taking his right hand and dragging him off to the showers. "We're getting you cleaned off. The bear can come, I don't care, but you're not walking through the halls like that!"

Angus stutters, taken aback by the princess hauling him off. "Hold on--wait--wuh--Geoffrey!" He calls for his bear, hoping it would follow without him able to shepherd. [Oh. I guess I might still be just a bit filthy...]

"I was headed for my own quarters", the squire grumbles, much like a petulant child. He really couldn't keep his guard up around Cassandra, not in absence of very ugly muscle.

[spoiler=Previously, a very proper ladies conversation](taking place somewhat after Sid intros herself as Charlotte)

Sidney strutted towards the princess, a bit of a bounce in her step as she tapped her shoulder while they journeyed towards the capital. "What do you think, Sandy?" She paused for a moment before speaking again. "Cass! Sorry. It's Cass, I remember now- honest mistake. Anyway, what sort of stuff do I need to be prepared for? I'm sure I'll need to be better dressed, and to be on my best behavior to not humiliate anyone. There are plenty of ways Wykian ladies are expected to act, and I'd rather not disappoint in my first meeting with the king. I'm sure I'll pick things up as I go as well, but it's nice to be prepared!"

Cass nearly snapped at the nickname, but given the quick fix, she held back. "I still think you owe me an apology first, Charlotte," Cass said, scoffing. "Talking down to me like I've never faced a hardship, when you were hiding your own lineage. Honestly. Why didn't you just say so in the first place? It would've made things go far more smoothly... Well, as long as you had proof, of course." Cassandra shook her head, nearly rolled her eyes, and then sighed.

"As long as you do apologize, I will take any questions you have, on specifics. I'm sure that if you are noble bred, as you claim, then you've already learned etiquette. Of course, Wyke has its own ridiculous," she said, mumbling the word, "rules about how women should act, in and out of court. Which would you like to know first, if you can't think of something to ask?" Cass might have been being far more kind than before to Sidney, but with this reveal, if she was telling the truth (which, she would be executed for impersonating a noble, so it would work out either way), there was no point in treating her like dirt.

"Sidney is still acceptable if you prefer. It is part of my name still, after all," Sidney outlined. "I don't like how much nobility changes perception. I'd rather you value me for who I am and my actions, not my family name- but since it seems resorting to this would be far more helpful in traveling to Hull than proving myself ever will, so be it. Though I am hurt you're still so distrusting! I don't carry around expensive heirlooms for fun. I can assure you that even for me, this would be a ridiculous rouse to uphold- people versed in Raewalden politics would recognize the name Montana quickly. And I do have a few trinkets that would be unlikely to steal."

She removed her glasses, showing Cass part of the inside. "Look here- it's got my family name on it. My grandmother tried to make these the next big things in fashion, but they didn't really catch on. And here..." This time she withdrew her dagger. "I did make this, but do you really think it's easy for a random thief to get this nice of materials and a good level of craftmanship down? It took me a few months. My father was eager to try and keep my attention with activities, and he was relieved that for those months I had somewhere to go waste time at. It's also why I only really have one, because after this I lost patience for it, though that's, er, neither here nor there."

"That said, I have perfectly fine manners when I like to. It'd be more about customs." The way Cass had said rules didn't quite sound promising to her. "What kind of, ah, rules am I going to have to deal with here? I'd think I can adapt, but what's the worst of the bunch?"

"I'm not hearing an apology..." Cass sighed, but Sidney seemed sincere, so she put down the wall. The glasses were interesting, at least. It had the name on it, and they were a peculiar item. Maybe I'd even look good in them? she pondered, almost taking them, but letting her hold onto them while she pulled the knife out. "You could've stolen it," she said, "but you've got a story for it, so whatever. I suppose it can't hurt to trust your story, for now." Cass tried to seem less... Thorny, frigid, cold. It was hard, considering how she'd viewed Sidney for so long, suddenly having her world view turned around, just a bit.

"Alright, then... So! First thing's first, women are to speak when spoken to. If you are in court and the men are talking, you are to remain quiet until they ask you for your opinion." Cass sighed, groaned a bit, and then shook her head. "It's ridiculous, but even I can't get away with it when my Father is around... Whatever. Next." Cass looked a bit dispirited, but continued, anyway. "Women can do anything they want... As long as a man allows them to. If my Father permits me, I may entertain any idea if I wish, but unless he does, I am not free to participate in anything other than the etiquette and living lessons that are taught to all nobles in Wyke."

Cass was becoming rather upset at this point, but she was almost done. "Most of all, women are expected to do what they can do, and nothing more. Nothing above average, nothing interesting, nothing fun, just... Look pretty and speak eloquently. Listen to the men above you. There you go. Welcome to Wyke." Cass seemed almost defeated, upon finishing, like she was bringing up a lot of buried memories.

"That's the spirit! You'll learn to trust me in no time at all," Sidney told her cheerfully. The way she outlined the rules didn't seem too hard for Sidney to follow, but Cass was clearly upset even talking about them. The thief pat her head in assurance, trying to think of something nice to say. "There now, I'm sure things will be alright. For me, there were lots of things I wasn't even allowed to do regardless of who I asked. I was very lucky to be able to even make this knife. Not everything can be pleasant, but sometimes you have to endure and go through it, as tough as it is."

Inwardly, Sidney was honestly quite pleased. No expectations for me, huh? Sit nice, look pretty, easy enough.

Cass simply growled instead of telling Sidney not to touch her. She hoped it would come across well enough.

"It will not be alright. My Father will never listen to me. I have protested time and again that I should not be treated like some fanciful creature, only to be looked at instead of listened to. I wish to fight. I wish to join the knights and participate in these things, like this time... The results hurt, but I can only grow stronger from experiencing such a thing. And yet I am not allowed, simply because I am a woman... Ugh." Cassandra sighed, shaking her head.

"You aren't here to listen to me whine. Did you have any more questions?" She couldn't stand there and moan, forever. She had to take action, like she had, if she wanted things to change.

Sidney smirked a tiny bit at the growl- it was a step up from Cass's usual responses to her shenanigans. "Well, I can't say I know exactly how it is because I haven't been a princess, but... well, surely there's a lot of upside! What's fun in the capital? Is there anything I have to do before we leave and can't miss out on?" Her cheerful tone attempted to help the moody princess feel a bit better.

Cass folded her arms. "I haven't seen much. The bars can be entertaining, if you go in the evening. Plenty of stories get thrown about, perhaps a bar fight ensues. The town itself is... Normal? There's shops, smithies, places to eat... Villagers doing their work for the kingdom, I don't know. I don't get out a lot, if you hadn't guessed." She tilted her head and cocked an eyebrow at Sidney, wondering if she really thought Cass was the best source of information for places outside the castle. "That's all I've ever seen. So if you wish to sneak me out to the local tavern at some point... Well, I... Might not be opposed."

Oh, I... that was silly of me to forget. But I suppose confused beats angry. "I see. I guess I'll have to find some things myself. But sure, I'm sure I could help you sneak out." The possibility seemed to amuse her. "A night in the town for the two of us! But don't get too carried away with it- you probably haven't had a lot of alcohol, so if you drink too much it'd be pretty obvious when you get a killer hangover that you were up to some mischief. Not that I'm the most suited to talk about not being too accustomed to lots of alcohol, but... nevermind that."

"Oh, I've never drank. I may be of the age, but I am still the Princess, and while rumors of me being seen at the bar might hurt the kingdom, getting any form of inebriated there would ruin a lot of things... Or so I've been told. Either way, the smell disgusts me, so I avoid it, either way. You're free to get 'hammered', as they call it." Cass sighed again, trying to smile. "Thank you, Sidney. I... Had you pegged wrong. I know you might not like me changing my tune due to your new title, but... Even if you hadn't revealed this, I probably would have, eventually. I am... Sorry." It was still a bit tough to say, but she offered a meek hand in her shy state to shake. Maybe that was weird, but it felt right? Cass was bad at apologizing.

"That's up to you, then. I don't tend do drink all too often myself, and am usually reserved even when I do, so you don't have to worry about me either." Sidney was surprised that Cass apologized for her past behavior, but took her hand anyway. "Well, I do appreciate it. I'm glad at least to be thought of better for, but I do hope you don't forget everything I tried to teach you! People appreciate humility, and learning some myself was one of my most valued lessons." She paused to think a moment, an idea forming in her mind. "Though, you could help make it up to me... I'm afraid I don't have very nice clothing for meeting royalty on my person. If you wouldn't mind lending me a dress, I would be very thankful!"

"Hmph," was all Cass said towards the statement of humility. It would take more than some kind words to shake years of taught classism... Maybe she'd keep it in mind for people who weren't peasants. "If all it will take is some clothes, I have plenty at the castle. You can change once we've arrived. I suppose that is one of the nicer things about being me." She kept smiling, knowing that her life wasn't that bad, despite what she hated. Sidney was... Pretty alright.

Sidney observed quietly as the prince and Claire's conversation seemed to take a dark turn, judging from their expressions. I'll have to keep that in mind... The other people here seemed to be dispersing, so Sidney figured she should do the same. Deciding to stay near as she'd promised, but not wanting to be left alone either, she wandered around a bit and found herself in the garden, where a graceful woman that she could only assume to be the queen was as well.

"Oh! Hello there, Your Highness." Once again she curtsied, trying to make the best first impression she could. "My name is Charlotte Montana- I travelled with Prince Owen and his companions to Baron Dettard's manse. I hail from Raewald- my father is a member of the council, though I've been traveling for a long time. Still, I rather enjoyed the time I've spent with your son- I'm to be guided around the city when the king is finished speaking with him, but until then I thought I'd sightsee a bit. It's a pleasure to meet you!"

[spoiler=retro: noble sins]

It wouldn't be long now. The next morning, Angus, Lionel, and Andromeda would rejoin the main group, and they would soon arrive in Hull. The squire hadn't spoken much over the last few days; he could not bring himself to speak. However, there would not be a better time. Andromeda and Geoffrey were both sleeping soundly, for the first time since they had left. The younger vassal beckoned his senior away from the fire to confess his sins.

"Sir Lionel," Angus begins, with uncharacteristic formality. "I am sorry I could not speak earlier. However, I must tell you something." He retrieves from his side the medicine Zadkiel gave him, what felt like an eternity ago. "Don't think you noticed, but... I took this from Zadkiel. Before I split off to take the left wing." The squire shakes his head, beginning to tear up slightly. "I broke rank, took his medicine. Still others were dispatched to ensure I wouldn't die on that suicide mission. Had I not... they would almost certainly still live."

Angus removes the leather sheath from the head of his axe, full of apprehension. [i always thought he was full of bluster, but he really can move like a snake when he wants to. I'd sooner fight Baleros again than face Sir Lionel in an honest duel.] "If you would have me answer for their lives, you are blameless for it." The squire turns his weapon in hand before continuing, unable to meet Lionel's eye. "If you would claim your right, claim it now."

Lionel looked at Angus, honesty in his eyes. "Sir Angus... Had you told me earlier, I would have bared down on you like that of the bear you are taming". he said in an uncharacteristically intimidating tone

He clearly had a pained look in his eyes, "but the victory, was in part due to your risky venture, Zadkiel and Ermin knew the risks they faced in that bout,"

"Sheath your axe" He said after a moment. "I too acted rashly, if I didn't charge in the front gate as blindly as I had, I could have possibly saved the two as well... Or thats what I'd like to think" It was very apparent to Angus that Lionel blamed himself for the deaths of his men.

His stance eased, he gave a pained smile, "Please don't blame yourself for my charges" and offered his hand for a shake.

Angus drops his axe entirely, reaching in to grasp Lionel's arm firmly. "So far as I hear it, y'couldn't have known." Angus thinks back, remembering how brutal the campaign was. Perhaps, just perhaps, it was hypocritical to blame himself for their deaths. "Honestly, we had a good run. Most of us made it back, and the enemy fought to the last. When the foe don't rout, it's... last I checked, a lot bloodier." He retrieves a skin, takes a hearty gulp, and coughs. Lionel soon finds it sailing through the air in his direction.

"If I might... how d'you do it?" The squire realizes he wasn't clear, and reiterates. "The killin' and dyin'. Y'know I split a holy man in half two nights back, right? He was the tenth, an' still more I all but killed." Angus shakes his head. "You've lived with it for some time. I figured... y'might know about it."

Lionel swiftly catches the skin, the strong smell was coaxing him to take a swig. He held off as he spoke.

"First time I saw combat... I charged recklessly and nearly lost my own life, taking many a Magonsaete life... I thought of them as villains, bandits and some of them do fall into that, but when I took down their captain I noticed a locket..." he trailed off before starting again "Even they have families I realized, its not easy what we do by any means... I've seen my fair share of death, on both sides."

"Your question is a difficult one..." he grimaced taking a swig finally out of the skin, the drink was strong but it was refreshing after the long campaign

"We all have ideals to live and fight for, so does everyone else. Our convictions be they for selfish or selfless reasons throw us into conflict, I try to think that all I do is for the good of my Kylander kin and that of the Wyke royal family..."

"Casualties in these times is sadly unavoidable, you had to do what you needed to, to provide our lord safety, part of the answer to this question is different for everyone I feel..." he looked at Angus directly, taking another drink before throwing the skin back.

"It was us or them, in the recent struggle, that holy man had the same kind of conviction, regardless of intent I think there is something in honoring your fallen opponents"

Angus stares at the moon, pondering Lionel's words. "So it... never goes away, does it?" He chuckles, almost bitterly. "Sure as hell isn't how they tell it, aye? All bravado this and heroics that. None of the guts an' shit an' dead men tryin' to chop off your horse's leg." Before continuing, the squire rises back to an upright position, looking directly at Lionel.

"I think I hate the fear worst though. Mine, that's easy. Sucks for a bit, then it's done, you know? An' with a team like this, I don't plan on dyin'. It's... theirs. They don't all get it before. But then, the ones that do... ech. Ain't any words for it."

Silence carries the moment. Angus lifts a hand, signaling Lionel to throw the alcohol. The squire drinks again. "I never got why so many battles routed. An' so many men had t'be reprimanded for not goin' at it. I think I get it now, though." He laughs, shaking his head. "Won't be me, but... I get it."

He nods solemnly. "I honestly did wish it did go away, but as long as I have my lord and others" he slowly nodded towards Andromeda "To fight for, I think I can bear the burden, its not easy." He also looked at the moon, glowing brightly.

"The motivation of glory and heroics is to spare the thought of slaying others for their kingdom, some take a great pleasure from it in fact" he said a little unnerved by the notion he himself had said

"Never lose your heart, strike for what you believe in, and respect those brave fellows you face... Thats how I've always gone about it, its not perfect. But it helps a little... to feel there is good in what we do"

[Maybe we're all similar,] Angus ponders. [We've all got interests that at least seem right. Hard to deny feedin' your family, even against the Crown. Ours... it's right. By nearly divine right.] The squire grins, raising the drink that was visibly impacting him.

"Aye. To us! May th'enemies of Wyke reach Owen 'n' Cass ov'r scores of... scores of their own dead, an' us besides." He takes one last chug before chucking it roughly in Lionel's direction and flopping over in the grass.

Lionel catches it once more and caps it

[Hopefully that eased his weary heart...] He thought as he gazed up more at the moon, wondering what lay in store.

Meeting with Duke Herman

Tobias twirled his mustache, eyeing Niko and Doug. Doug's attire perplexed him, he wasn't entirely sure whether this were a rather uncharming young woman or a perverted young man. His manners were enough for him to shelf the thoughts for now, but he continued his speech.

"I cannot say we are acquainted. I have been informed that you are both mercenaries, and that of fine quality. I am Duke Herman, father of Adeltrudis and Graham. Your service to my family is very much appreciated. If you were still looking for employment, I ask you to remain as our guests for a while, and for us to discuss once you have had time to rest."

Adele and her group are free to respond!

Niko bowed to the Duke, but remained quiet while they discussed Jeeves. As Adele discussed what had happened to him, he fidgeted, slightly uncomfortable, before quietly interjecting. "I apologize for interrupting, but I will say my piece and then perhaps we can leave your family to your grief as I do not wish to intrude on such a clearly emotional moment. Our services are not required elsewhere, and we would be willing to discuss the possibility of continuing to work with your family. However, after seeing the previous battles, there is no way that I could in good conscious continue to serve with only two men. As such, I would ask your leave to search for at least one more mercenary to add to our ranks." Ideally we would find another healer as well but... not the time. Perhaps I can ask the princess to teach me if she would not object... Though to embroil myself further in royalty... Bah.

In hindsight, Doug probably should have dressed for the occasion. Considering he hadn't been flying around since they arrived in the capital, he probably could have invested in a pair of pants for the occasion. He was using his javelin as a walking stick to help get around, not aware if that was frowned upon in the royal setting.

The duke offered the mercs further employment, but as expected, Niko politely declined. Doug knew of his distaste in involvement with royalty. On the other hand, Doug liked getting paid, and royalty had a lot of money to give him. If they could get paid for following Adele around the castle as bodyguards or something, it would be a very comfortable life.

Speaking of getting comfortable, the rider really wanted to stay in the big fancy castle. Maybe get a couple of staff girls to tend to him... Sadly, that didn't seem to be in the cards for the Reliants. Still, he let Niko do the talking. The leader knew best, even if his version of the best didn't involve trists with castle maidens.

[spoiler=please tell me nobody heard dissu shitto]

With some complaints and some groans, Cass managed to get Angus into the showers. He was going to have to take care of the rest himself, though. "Alright, grab a towel, strip, and get the water to a temperature you find tolerable. Honestly, why can't you just clean yourself? I'll bet you weren't going to bother with this despite being covered in blood still, from Dettard's manse!" She huffed, hands on her hips, staring him down.

"Any day now."

Angus blinks twice, slowly, barely believing his ears. It takes him several seconds to finally open his mouth.

"Y'know, Cassandra, I'd like t'keep my head. So, er, could you go... really, anywhere you can't see this?"

The squire can't believe how forward she was. Telling him to take a bath was one thing, but... this? Is she just rattled, or is this something else entirely?

Cassandra cocked an eyebrow. "I'll turn around if that makes you comfortable, but we're cleaning you-- today. You won't do this yourself, do not try to play me into thinking you will. I've known you long enough. But this, this is a special level of filth. Besides, you will not let your towel fall, correct? I trust you to be able to keep it up until you really need to clean elsewhere." She stared him down, making her point clear. "I'm simply here to make sure you do, anyway. The most I'll clean is your back, because you can't reach it. Now get started." She spun herself around, waiting to hear the sounds of clothes coming off. She wasn't his mother; she wasn't about to de-clothe him herself.

Angus draws his knife (to speed the clearing of grime), shaking it at Cass for emphasis. "Alright, but I c'n catch that myself, you hear?" He hurriedly discards his clothes and ties the towel around his waist. The water descends upon him, and the squire starts lathering up vigorously--the better to end this situation sooner. After several moments' pondering, he realizes that a... possibly volatile topic of conversation could distract the both of them from the whole scenario. Angus speaks, his back turned to the princess.

"Y'know your dad's right, yes? Maybe not for the reasons he thinks, but he's still right. You fight like a knight."

"Funny," she said, scoffing, turning around as the water turned on. he was more built than she was expecting, but it didn't bother her much. She'd seen plenty of the kingdom's actual knights without their shirts during summer training and changing, so she'd become jaded to the whole deal. Well, mostly. The point was that nothing was bothering her right now and Angus was actually getting clean, which was the whole point of--

"E... Excuse me?" She took a step forward, honestly unsure of what to make of him after that. "Did you honestly just say that?" She was more surprised than upset, at the moment, that he could possibly think her dust sack of a father was anything close to right about her.

Angus turns his head for a moment, raising an eyebrow. "That's right." He scrapes the filth off his arms, elaborating. "Y'see, you're awful at settin' priorities. Owen is too, and I'll be speaking t'him about it eventually, too."

"You are a princess, which means y'have certain duties. More to th'point, you're not expendable." Angus gestures at his own back with the knife. "What happens to Wyke when I die? If you'd pardon my language, fuck all. But if you start swallowin' swords?" He flicks the point towards Cassandra... or at least, where he thought she was. "A political nightmare. Successions start gettin' questioned, prob'ly invitin' war outright. Worried 'bout my skin? Imagine what happens when Magonsaete figures out we haven't got our shit remotely together."

Angus sighs, realizing he's descended into an outright rant. "Look. You're as tough as they come. But you aren't more valuable as a knight than as a princess. And every red-blooded Wykian would sooner see us dead in piles than you gone... except you."

"Kh..." Cass wasn't expecting such an eloquent lecture, from Angus, of all people. Eloquent in structure, not in speech; he still sounded like a farmer. But he had made a good point, without demeaning her ability to fight like the rest of them, which stung worse than anything her father had said. She couldn't even come back with the way Angus treated his own life-- or could she? "...Yeah, you're right. They would rather see the rest of you all dead and gone before me. So does that make you suddenly expendable?"

This was the only point she had, towards how Angus had fought. "If I hadn't been there, would you still have thrown yourself into the fight like a blind peon? If Owen had stayed at the castle, would you have tried to keep yourself safe, instead of flailing madly towards a giant, who could have crushed you in a single swing!?" Cass bit her lip, clenching her fists.

"I don't care about this pointless title. The only thing about me that's more important than others is that I have the power to use it to do something, and that something isn't sitting around, wasting away in a castle, stuffed into dresses learning fucking etiquette." She sighed, trying to keep her cool. "I know I'm a princess. But if Owen is allowed to leave and fight, then I should be allowed to at least do the same; that's all I want. If we need to stay further back, then whatever, but my Father refuses to even let me out of the castle. Do you see no issue with this? Truly?"

Angus laughs at the absurdity of it. He had escorted her to town so many times, yet she honestly believed he would have her cooped up in the castle forever? "Of course not. Th'way women are treated around here is maddening, especially you. Too many useful people kept from their callings, an' it's a recipe for at least some unrest an 'rebellion--case in point." Angus gestures once again in Cassandra's vague direction before trying to lather his shoulders. "That's still better'n you dyin'; like it or not, you bein' alive at all is valuable, even if your talents are wasted. In my most humble opinion, y'need to take a few of these things to heart before you get near a battlefield again."

The squire shakes his head at a prior idea, that of his life having value. "An' for what it's worth? I'd still trash him if you weren't there. Difference is, I'd be able to do it without offerin' myself up!" He does consider, for a moment, the situation without Owen and Cassandra. "I might not be worth much, but I'm not sure I'd do that for anyone else... royalty notwithstandin'."

"Well... Good." Mostly. She was still cross at him with all this value of life talk. She already knew that, but she really didn't care. Not if it meant she couldn't fight at their level. "Did I actually ever put myself in danger when we fought? In as much danger as you're saying I should avoid? I felt I fought rather conservatively, all things considered. So did Owen. So I shall not be wasting my talents sitting here while there are fights to be won, especially with Magonsaete looming."

"You will not offer yourself up to any more giant brutes again, Angus. That is an order, one I will have you barred from practice for disobeying." She scowled him down, hoping he'd catch her gaze if he turned around. "I said it before. You are not expendable. I don't care if you find your life not worth having around, but I do, and that's final, alright?" She sighed, walking over to pick up a wash cloth, before stealing some of his soap and working on his back, objections tossed aside. "I don't want you doing it for anyone, don't you get it? There's only one Angus Kearney..."

Angus bows his head, cowed by the princess' hands and her words. [Dammit, she... she's actually right... for the most part.] He sighs, knowing full well that he has to admit it.

"...Aye. At least, until Baleros came. Y-you don't go playing cavalry to the cavalry!" His laugh, ragged, falls away as he reaches for her hand on his shoulder. A lesser soul's bones would be broken before the squire spoke again."I'm in the most danger when I can't regroup, but that--that isn't the matter." The vice softens, and another hand approaches the princess' face as the squire tilts back. "P-please just... don't make me survive you, okay?" Just as his fingertips reach skin, reality sets in, and an outside listener might imagine a dog had its tail tread on! Angus bolts forward, facetiously coughing as he dismisses a budding tear.

"SO! You and Adeltrudis seem to be quite close! I heard she was a good friend, but I'd call you sisters if I didn't know better~!" Angus was no politician, but perhaps he could've been if he gave a damn; he had quite a talent for putting on a chipper face.

"Wha-- A-Angus...!" She flushed a rather bold shade of red as he went to touch her face, freezing as he did, staring at him wide eyed. Luckily for them both, he flinched away before she could stop him (and she WOULD have stopped him, much more painfully). That didn't change the fact. "Hooohohoho~ Thinking you can use her sincere state, to touch your Princess' face~ Aren't you bold?" she said, with a smile, and a heavy scowl. She walked around the shower, snatched his arm, and dragged him back over, not being as kind as she would have been with washing his back this time, the rough cloth scraping harshly.

"I may not have said it plainly, but you are not to touch, is that understood? Not even my hand! Gods..." It was incredibly embarrassing that he'd gone as far as to touch her face, in just a TOWEL no less. "What a brute," she mumbled, looking away. Though her face was still flushed... She relented on tearing into his back with the cloth, going back to soft.

"We are good friends; I would've loved to call her sister. I was hoping to speak with her later, after I was finished making you presentable. Speaking of, once I'm done your back, I'm leaving you to take care of the rest. Promise me you will? I won't be removing your pants to inspect your legs later, but if half of you is all that's clean, it doesn't matter."

Angus winces, the Princess' admonition hurting far worse than the scouring cloth. "I'm terribly sorry; I forgot myself for a moment. Everyone's dire 'fraid of something, eh?" [Damned cad! If you can't keep your head on, you really won't be keeping your head on!] He forces a chuckle, in the hopes of distracting from his mistake. "You don't need t'worry about me; I'm here already, and I should wash the bear while i'm here, hm? Just ah... take care, with Adeltrudis." Angus reconsiders speaking to her on the matter, but eventually follows through. "Y'know how that ends... at least, if it's public knowledge, eh~?" He turns for a moment, offering a cheery wink.

"And what are you afraid of, Angus?" she asked, pushing his statement. There wasn't much else to push, he seemed to have calmed down. What a mooncalf. But what did he mean? Take care with Adele? What? It wasn't until his wink that she got what he meant, and her blush turned into a full on face cover, the color extending down to her neck. She scowled again and threw the rag at his face, stomping away. "Mother said it was fine, so I don't care what you or the public have to say! You're probably just jealous, anyway! Trying to touch my face in the showers, and then joking about this, the nerve!" She threw her hands up, opening the door. "Go finish cleaning yourself, you... Y-You jerk." That was probably the most tame Cass had ever been, despite her reaction, and it embarrassed her to be as such, so she was done. "Hmph~" She shut the door, without a slam, and Angus was left to his ordeal.

Angus belts out a wholehearted laugh as he reveals a wide smile under that rag. "Put it together, sunshine! An' how 'bout this: keep today a secret and I won't steal her away from you, fair~?" He falls off the stool not long after Cassandra departs, and sets to the task of cleaning both the bear and his own nethers.

[That... went surprisingly well.]

"I see..." Claire mumbled, a small frown forming. Why would Dettard have given the vial to Baleros? He was just as likely to crush it by accident as he was to smash it. "Well, its possible that he got it from Magonsaete, whatever it really is, although I can't imagine that a nation of bandits could create something like that. Perhaps if it came from Wihtwar there was a chance, but...

Yeah, she'd been kind of stupid to bring it up. The prince still seemed to err on the side of caution though, and Dettard's other comments seemed to give Owen something to think about, if nothing else. It wasn't her place to pry into his reaction though, as much as she wanted to. So this thing can raise the dead, huh? she though, accepting the vial from Owen. What a joke. She acknowledged Owen's request with a small nod. "I'll make sure to find out." she promised. "That was all the baron said. Thank you for your time prince, even if it sounds like I'm just... paranoid about things." A lesser prince may have just dismissed Dettard's ramblings as a joke, so she was thankful that Owen was at least considering them.

Tobias could see his daughter's anguish, it was one that he too shared. "Adeltrudis, time shall heal our pain. If there's anything I can do as your father to aid you, I'll strive to do so." he replied, taking his daughter's hand. "Forget any suitors for the time being, we can worry about that another day..."

It was only then that he realised Jean was still present, which made things rather awkward.

"Well, I suppose Sir Bernard should remain our guest for a little longer... it would be rude to send him away."

Niko's suggestion seemed reasonable enough, after all, the more men a troupe had, the better. Passing Niko a small pouch of gold, Tobias nodded firmly.

"That's an excellent suggestion, Mister Niko. There are several guilds in the city with many aspiring fighters. This should allow you to hire a few men, I shall trust your judgement on who and how many you hire. Please, I've taken enough of everyone's time, I understand that you all require time to rest... although I need to speak to Graham in private. There's an opportunity that has come up, one that cannot be ignored."

Adele's group is dismissed!

Graham leaves the party!

-

Eowa was still rather perplexed by her daughter, worrying for her wellbeing but also her happiness. Cassandra was always such a bold child, perhaps she would be able to find her way forward in today's world? The entrance of Sidney was another pleasant surprise, although she couldn't say she particularly recognised the girl.

"Oh? The Montana family? I believe I have heard of you, Charlotte, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Thank you dearly for helping my son, I do worry about him sometimes. If there is anything that you require, please let the servants know."

-

Hogan laughed, patting Lionel on the back heftily - he never did have a gentle touch. "This bunch isn't bad, but they're a little soft. Nothing that can't be fixed though. They'll learn soon enough." he replied, eyeing the recruits with a judging eye. "Put some welly into it, son! I've seen kittens who scratch harder!"
Edited by Shin

Lionel braced himself as Hogan patted him on the back, steadying himself against the hefty hits.

"Well if anyone would know their potential, its you" he laughed along, however this reunion wasn't the only reason Lionel came down here, he reminded himself, "Have you seen Sir Regulus? I need to speak with him about something urgent" He tried to be formal, the captain was unpredictable however, so he wasn't sure how to ask even the most basic of questions sometimes.

"Very well, Father. If I have need of anything, I shall let you know." Adele replied, giving her head a light shake to try and dismiss the melancholy air about her, and managing to give her father a small smile, before her expression set itself back into neutrality. Watching the exchange between the Duke and the Reliants, as well as with Graham, Adeltrudis stepped out of the room as they were dismissed. Turning towards Niko and Doug, as the two exited, Adele cleared her throat before speaking.

"Niko, Doug... I am glad to see your continued support. I'll do all I can to ensure that the Reliants procure a good name about Hull, you're certainly deserving of it. As for deserving, we hadn't the chance to discuss it prior in detail, but I would think it more than fair to call a siege like that heavy combat." Adele began, recalling earlier terms in her head quickly, before continuing.

"We never did set a direct rate for such a thing, as it depended on scale, but I feel as though... 3000 gold would be a fair price, in addition to your initial payment. Doubling the 1500 for standard combat, and adding it once again on top, to compensate the extra work. Does that seem fair, to you?"

"I'm honored, Your Highness," Sidney responded. "I did my best to help Prince Owen in his quest. He was quite the gentleman to me- I'm sure I'll have a wonderful time here, since you all seem to be just as kind. I must say, this garden is delightful. My own home in Tytila was somewhat dreary- being able to stay in a comfortable place that is also lively is very refreshing."

Niko bowed to cover his surprise at the increase in price being offered to him. That wasn't something that he had expected, considering the reaction to the original contract negotiations. After straightening from the bow, he had composed his face and nodded. "I believe that is more than fair. i appreciate your generosity my lady. I... I wish I could say that I had enjoyed our time serving with you so far, but with the deaths and what happened to Doug... Well, hopefully any future endeavors that we possibly take in your service will go better. I can say that you are a strong fighter and leader and I appreciate the faith that you have in our small group. I am sure that you have things to attend to, so perhaps it is best if Doug and I go search for new fighters to add to the Reliants?"

"Yes, I understand. Unfortunately, not all campaigns end enjoyably... but we are lucky to have made it through with as few casualties as we did, and I feel I owe quite a bit of that to you." Adele replied, a solemn expression on her face as she pulled out some fancy stationary, and began writing on it, before signing it, producing a small stamp, applying it, and handing it to Niko.

"If you bring this to the National Bank of Wyke, they should honour it, as it has my signature and the Herman family seal. If they fail to pay you, then return to me, and I'll go with you to make the withdrawal in person." Adeltrudis noted, the paper containing express consent to make a withdrawal of 3000 gold. Stepping back for a moment, Adele smiled gently at the reliants, before turning to Doug.

"And I am truly sorry you had to go through that... I am glad that you made it out alive, at any rate. I've heard that you've been playing yourself quite the Lady Killer, Doug." Adele noted with a smirk, before leaning in and giving the pegasus knight a quick peck on the cheek.

"Consider that a bonus, then. You may do as you wish, that's all I needed to say."

Edited by Satin. Dark Lord of Fabric

"Thank you, Claire. No caution is too much caution." Owen nodded to the mage, "...I should go meet the king now, do take care." Dismissing Claire, Owen made his way outside the small meeting room quickly, gunning for the dungeon -- everything else would be secondary to sorting out Dettard's situation right now. Dettard... It's hard to believe, but father's reaction was odd, and he did perform Astra... Owen gulped, absorbed in his inner monologue. I hope Claire can figure out what this vial actually holds... Owen quickly reached the entrance to the dungeon, he'd been early, but the young noble preferred waiting. Speculation kept his mind busy, but he preffered it that way, it'd make time pass faster.

Niko chuckled at Adele's comments and actions towards Doug, before bowing again and heading out. Deciding against visiting the bank first, he instead headed out towards recruiting new members. "Hmm, probably best to check the tavern first, no? After all, the mercenary guild will likely have more members of actual groups, not those looking to join one..." With that thought, he headed for the Dank Codger, having heard that it was the place to go to find those in need of work. Entering in, he cast around the place, looking to see if anyone caught his eye.

The Dank Codger

Niko's choice in venue was not perhaps the safest of options. Going down several dark alleys, the pair eventually reached the bar. The windows were boarded up, and the door was barely held on by its hinges. Niko had to step over the unconscious body of a man, his face covered in bruises. The inside wasn't any better, the air stank from smoke and thugs of all varities littered the establishment, looking at Niko with a mocking eye.

A large man, easily six and a half feet tall, approached Niko. Clad in nothing but a vest and some scruffy trousers, the man's bare feet pounded the floor, his stench a horrible offense to any self-respecting nose.

"Welcome to the Dank Codger, ded. I hope you've got the cutter to slather on yer bread." he chortled, looking at Niko's attire. "We don't just let any bibliobrat dance in here. How dank are you?"

Niko rolled his eyes. "Please. The nicer clothes are just so that I'm not scoffed at when looking for high paying contracts. I'm Niko, head of the Reliants. We're a mercenary gang that's newish in town and we're looking to get some recruits. We fight with the best of 'em and more importantly drink with the best of 'em. We pay well and never leave a contract incomplete. Means we're paid well too so anyone who joined us wouldn't have to worry about starving any time soon. Oh, and before you think about just trying to rob me since I mentioned that we're paid well?" He held out a hand and summoned a large fireball for a second before squeezing his fist shut, causing the flames to flare out around his face. "Don't."

Well, that mission dealt with, Cassandra had to find someone else to bother, hopefully running into-- "Adele!" Niko and Doug were walking off, so she must have just finished talking to them. How lucky she was~ "That means I get you all to myself! Come with me a moment, hmm?" She took Adele's hand and dragged the girl off to one of the nearby rooms, making sure it was empty before closing it.

[spoiler=In The Moment]After pulling Adele aside, into a free room, Cass finally sighed. "I was wondering when we'd get some time to finally talk. With all the discussion going about the castle right now, I was afraid someone else was going to pull you aside. Whether that be Owen, my father, someone else in the group-- well, you understand." That being said, at least they could chat now, and Cass had a few things on her mind.

"So... I did want to ask, before I get jovial, if you were doing alright. If it's not something you wanted to discuss, say so, and I will respect it, but until you do, I have to ask." Jeeves' death even still weighed on Cass, so she couldn't put it past Adele to still be grieving. If it wasn't to be discussed, then it wouldn't be. Still...

"I..." Adeltrudis began, as Cassandra brought them into a side room, and began asking of her. Was she doing alright? She had recovered somewhat since the fateful moment, but she was far from her normal self, even still... but was that worth worrying Cass over?

"I am... better. I think it's fair to say that I'm not in the best shape I've ever been... but the shock has passed, at least a little." Adele replied, a solemn expression on her face.

It was hard to see Adele so hurt. Clearly this would last a while, but Cass was in no rush to make her forget, or speed over it. Mother had told her in the past that life was a process of learning, and that even death could teach, so whatever Adele was being taught was worth letting her explore. Cassandra offered her a smile. "That's good to hear. I was scared you would still be falling apart, but to see you so collected warms my heart." It felt a bit silly to hop around the room, but all the same, Cassandra gave her a quick hug and squeeze, bouncing back a few steps afterwards.

"If that's all you wanted to talk about it, then I shall let it alone, for now. I had a proposition to make and I wondered if you had wished to be a part of it?" She didn't want to pop her question just yet, wanting to get Adele interested first. It was all about set up~ "I'd talked about it with Sidney, and I figured you would want to be a part of it."

"I have to be strong, regardless of what happens. I'm the Herman heiress, after all." Adele replied somewhat flatly, glad to see Cassandra in a chipper state, but not ready to share it with her as of yet. The young Lady did return her light squeeze as she came in for it, however.

"A proposition? With Sidney, of all people? Now you have me intrigued, for all the time you've spent speaking ill of her, to me."

"I figured you would be. I know I have... Not liked her, but, given that she is actually of noble birth, and that she hasn't tried anything this entire time, save for some flirting with my brother," the last fact lending her an irritated tone, "I have apologized for my behaviour and she has apologized for hers. I would not say we are fast friends yet, but perhaps we can get along. That aside!" she cleared her throat, smiling. "Sidney has offered to help me sneak out of the castle, so that we could have some fun at one of the capital's taverns. You know how constricting this castle life is for me, and I can only imagine it will become more so, now that I have returned from disobeying the King, once again."

Cass couldn't stop herself from rolling her eyes, but that was the situation of it. "So, if you wanted to come along, in case we need some more muscle if we're caught, that would be wonderful! Besides, I need someone to keep me away from the thought of drinking. I haven't yet, and I do not wish to start."

"So she offered to break you out, and suddenly all is forgiven and friendship begins to bloom, huh?" Adele teased, cracking a light grin.

"Well, I can't say I'd be opposed. It could be a good time, after all."

"Well, no, I suggested it as a way to sort of... Make up for things. And she agreed! All is not forgiven, especially if she's trying to cozy up to Owen, but for now I will tolerate her, instead of marking her as an enemy." Cass wouldn't help but blush a little bit, with the change of heart. It was hard for her to make friends unless they were peons that had to listen to her, like Angus, or people she'd know her whole life, like Adele. So Sidney being nice to her and getting along with her was nice, but difficult.

"That's good~ That's wonderful, really!" Cassandra's small smile went from small to large almost instantly as Adele said she'd come along. She resisted the urge to hug her again, but was definitely pleased by the situation.

"There's just one thing I wanted to talk about, then, as long as we're here, and have the time..." Her smile faded suddenly, but still remained, small, and a bit embarrassed. Her rosy cheeks got rosier. "If that's, alright."

"Well, I suppose it's a start. Since it seems more likely then not she'll be about for a while, that's for the best." Adele replied, watching Cassandra fidget about a bit before asking her next question... that was a tad unusual.

"Sure, what did you want to talk about?"

"Did you... D-Did you want to try again?" she asked, looking Adele straight in the eye. "I did some thinking, I've talked to my mother, I think I can handle it... You can, if you want to. Just... Only if you want to. I know I'm not the best at this sort of thing, so you'd... You'd have to start." Well, it was out there, if Adele understood what she meant, which she might not actually have understood, considering Cass hadn't actually said anything pertaining to what she was asking about. But, still!

"Err... try again?" Adele questioned, tilting her head slightly in confusion. On a normal day, the Herman heiress would have seen through Cassandra's implications quite swiftly, but there had just been too much on her mind as of late, for her to catch on without a bit more to go on.

"Oh, Gods..." Cass groaned, sighing, slapping her face and bit and standing up straighter. "With... That kissing thing. Ugh, there, I said it. Honestly, making me go as far as to put it that bluntly... You're such a brute," too. Maybe Adele was just a bit too flustered with all the goings on, but, still...

"Oh, that..." Adele replied, biting her lip a bit. Was this really the right time to be doing something like this? It might make her feel better, but...

"I'm not sure... is this the right time? What do you think, Cass?"

Not the right time? "Well... I don't know. I figured you'd be a lot happier than that, about it. You seemed... Really excited, before." She smiled, but it was more worried, than anything. "If you... If you'd rather not, then don't worry about it..." Cass was quickly defusing, and... Well, there was no way she could ask what she was going to, now, especially if Adele was still out of sorts.

"Sorry, still not at a hundred percent, you know? Maybe... maybe it'll help me feel better..." Adele replied, trying to crack a smile. It wasn't like her to stay down in the dumps like this, after all.

"I-I know, I know, that's alright. You've been through something terrible, I... Just don't really know what I can do to comfort you." Cass swallowed, hard. Maybe, huh? "Then..." She took some steps forward, putting herself right next to Adele. "What should I do? I'm not the smartest at these things. You seem to really know a lot more than I do. So, I'll..." Cass closed her eyes and leaned up a bit, waiting.

Adele supposed there was no turning back, at this point. Well, it was worth a try, at the very least. Leaning in to close what little distance remained, Adeltrudis gently kissed Cassandra's lips, though the hunger and directness of their prior attempt was clearly not out in force.

"Mm..." That was softer than expected, but that warm was still there, and that was nice to feel. Cassandra felt it prudent to make it more comfortable, so she slid hands around Adele, giving her a soft hug, again, letting it sit there, and gently pushing her lips back against her. I can do this for her, right? This will help her cheer up... And it feels good. It feels really good...

Adele allowed Cassandra to lead, for the most part, following her movements as she made them, and returning the Princess' hug as she gave it. Doing it this way might give a better shot of Cass actually enjoying herself, after all. Pair that with the fact that Adele herself was in no state to go on the aggressive at present, making this easily the best way to go about this.

This felt really nice. It had been nothing shocking like before, no biting, no pushing, no tongue... Slowly pulling her head away, Cass smiled wide, staring up at Adele. "That was... That was nice... This is nice, I... I think I could get used to this." Cass gently rested her head against Adele, holding her tighter in her arms. "You know, we... We've been together since we were children. We're almost sisters, but... I'm really glad we're not. It would make things incredibly awkward, for what I wanted to ask."

She was enjoying the hug, so she wasn't about to end it. "You've always been here for me, Adele. Whether it was needing a friend to listen, someone to train with, someone to laugh with... Sometimes I feel that, if I didn't have someone like Owen, I'd be better off with your family. Mother understands, but Father is so thick, and no one treats me as a person here. Your father as least held me as a guest when I visited. It was so nice. I want this sort of life forever... And so I... I have something to ask you... We discussed the idea before, but I didn't have time to think about it. Now that I have, and have spoken to Mother, it... It really feels a lot clearer."

"Cass..." Adele replied softly, as Cassandra began talking. She seemed to be going in a rather roundabout matter, for what it was worth, and while Adele had a better idea than earlier of what Cassandra was getting at, she didn't want to jump to conclusions, not quite yet.

Even so, if she was right, that was... it was certainly a complicated issue...

"What would you like to ask me, Cass?"

Cassandra paused. What was the best way to word this? How was the best way to ask this? ...Was there a way to ask this? I feel so stupid...

"...Adele, will... Will you marry me?" She managed to look Adele in the eyes, her meek stare holding as best as it could.

Well, there it was. Adele blushed as the question was asked, but...

"Cass..." The young noble started, before leaning in to give Cassandra another kiss, a tad more aggressive, this time. Pulling away after a moment, Adele took a deep breath, thinking over the best way to respond.

"I don't think that's a good idea. Not because I don't want to, but... you know as well as I do how both of our fathers would respond to such a thing. Let alone finding a reputable clergyman who would actually be willing to deign to perform the ceremony." Adele noted, biting her lip. She certainly didn't want to dash Cassandra's hopes, but...

"Yes? Ah-- mmm...~" Don't just kiss me again without answering, that's not fair... But maybe she didn't want to hear the answer, so the kiss should've went on a bit longer. It was not a pleasant response.

"My Mother said it was fine. She said she'd support us. She's the queen! I know she has less power, but, there's no way she couldn't help us. Don't... Don't use my Father as a reason for this to not happen. There's already so much I can't do because of him, if I can't have you as well, I..." She bit her lip. She didn't want to cry again, but that man, that infernal man, he was always in the way of whatever she wanted. Maybe it'd just be better if he was dea-- Cass stopped that though, almost scared she'd gone that far, but... "P-Please, it'll work. You said so yourself, we could be together. I... I don't want anyone else..."

"I do want to be with you, Cass. But marriage...? There would simply be too many eyes on us, our position too precarious... I just think it's too soon..." Adele replied, embracing Cassandra, who clearly hadn't taken it very well... curse her inability to properly get this through...

"I just think that if we jump straight into something like that without a plan, it will leave us burned and wanting. How about we... get a bit more acquainted, first? We might be good friends, but this is still new to the both of us, after all. It is not only your father who would frown upon us attempting to marry... you know that. Give it some time..."

"B-But... But...!" She didn't push her away, but a part of her wanted to. You can't cry, not now. If you do you're leveraging her with your emotions and I don't... I don't want that, I want her to want this, so I can't... I can't...! Cass bit back tears harder than she ever had, an unfortunate escapee running down her cheek, but she quickly looked down to avoid Adele seeing it-- or so she hoped.

"I know it's not just my Father, but you... You said him first. And he would be the first one. He's always the first one..." It was so hard to talk without crying, but she couldn't. "I'm rushing because I'm scared. You're eighteen. I'm nearly the same age. We're noble women, Adele... What if someone comes to take you away from me? What if I'm forced to be taken away from you? I can say no as long as I want, but if something happens to Father, or Owen is hurt, or he doesn't want to carry on the line, who will that fall to? You get one guess..." It was the unfortunate set up of her life.

"If you... If you really don't want to then I can't force you, I just... I don't want to lose you, to anyone else."

"Cass... I understand." Adele replied, reaching up to wipe away one of Cassandra's tears, leaning in to kiss her once again, allowing the contact to hold for a while, this time.

"I understand how you feel. But you also must realize that rushing into this is not the right way to go. We... we have some time. My father promised to hold off on suitors, at least for a while... our whole family is... stricken by the loss of Jeeves." Adele continued, trembling a bit as she spoke.

"Adele, sto-- mmmnn..." It felt so nice, why was it wrong? Why would people look down on it? This felt like such a tease, getting turned down and still being given this sort of affection.

But Adele was shaking. Cass was pushing too hard, as desperate as she was, she could tell. She sniffled back her tears. She could go on about me, me me, all she wanted, but she had to consider Adele, too. If the king had held off on suitors this long, then perhaps he would hold out a little longer. If Adele was being given a reprieve, then... Well, there might've been hope. Maybe. It was still painful, but...

"P-Promise me," she said, suddenly, "that you'll wait for me..." She was done crying, so she looked up at Adele again, no meek expression on her face, but a serious, heartfelt stare.

"I love you, Cass. My only worry is that, in our position, marriage may never actually be possible." Adele replied, wiping a tear of her own.

"You know, it's rather odd... when I was speaking with Owen, talk came up of, at some point perhaps simply taking a figurehead husband, to keep my father off my back, so I might rest... how easy that would make it, no? If I could let a man put a ring on my finger, and have him stand aside so that I might do what I wished on my own time... so that I might be allowed to be with you, even were it in secret." Adele noted, sitting down with a noticeable plop, her back slumping forward, forgetting it's long-trained proper posture.

"Wouldn't that be great? Owen would give his blessing, and apparently so too would your mother... between the two of them, surely they could at least defend you remaining single, even if they could not stop your father's ire at you attempting to wed a woman... and my father would be off my back to find a husband... ah, if only things could actually work out in such a way..."

"Don't say that..." Impossible was not what Cass wanted to hear. This whole ordeal of being a princess was so... She didn't know how to put it. She felt she'd gone over everything, already. It was very defeating. She let Adele sit down, holding her hands back lest they followed after her. Besides, she needed to hold herself, hearing what Adele was talking about. A figurehead... Someone the world gets to think loves her. Gets all the time in the spotlight with her... While I sit around in the shadows and wait for small moments.

"I hate this," she said, a bitter tone held in her voice. "If this is all I get from being a princess, then I renounce this pointless title. I'll find Niko, I'll join his men and learn to be a mercenary. At least then I can do what I want-- I can love who, I want, without ridiculous laws and regulations barring me from doing something that comes so easily to even the most lowborn peasant." She spat the word out, nearly jealous.

"It would be great-- for you... But I love you. So if that is what you want, I will go along with it. I can't remove the title from over my head-- imagine if 'princess' was something you could remove as easily as a crown?" She laughed at the thought, sliding over to the door and leaning against it. "Maybe my father will just die off, already..." she mumbled that to herself, unable to stop the thought, this time.

"Cass... I'm sorry. I wish there was more I could do, but... what can we do? Say we go through with this, march to your father and my own and demand their blessing for us to marry. When they turn us down, which, let us be realistic, is what they will do, what then? Not only are we not given what we want, but from then on, we'll be segregated from each other. We'll no longer be allowed to see one another, out of fear that it would worsen what they would call an affliction." Adele replied, standing, tears welling up fully in her eyes by this point.

"But why do we need to be married, to love one another? We can... we can do this our own way... we don't need some silly ceremony, some paper signed by the clergy, to tell us how we feel." Adele finished, not commenting on Cassandra's thoughts on her father... she'd had her own moments, where she'd thought the same thing without thinking what that truly meant. And truthfully she could not blame Cassandra for her anger.

"I don't care what they think!" she said, sharply and quickly, gritting her teeth. "They are old men, blinded by their ceremonies and rules. If they turn us down, we go somewhere else. We run away and do something-- Honestly, we just wait until we're old enough that they hold no rule over us, and then we tell them! So then it won't matter!" She was quickly getting mad, and she didn't want to be angry, so with a heavy breath she tried to calm herself down.

It worked, somewhat. "We don't need to be married, no. I just wanted that so no one else could take us. You're a beautiful woman, Adele. And I'm not the only person that likes you." She knew who she was talking about, and she knew just who came to mind when she thought of people Adele would perhaps wed. She could never hate him, but...

"I just... I want to be able to go up to people and say, that I, Cassandra Meredith Gaffney, am in love with you! Adele Herman! I don't want it to be an embarrassment! Some behind doors affair!" She sighed. "Bellowing is going to get me nothing. I give up." Her adrenaline dissipated and her shoulders sank. "You win, tradition. I can't have anything in this life, it seems. Not anything that I want, at least. I'm sorry, Adele. For pouring all of this on you."

Standing up and walking over to Cassandra, Adele gave the younger girl a tight embrace, gently rubbing her back, hoping to make her feel even the slightest bit better.

"I understand, Cass. Do you think I want it to be this way? But... we can't just will things to change and expect the world to bend to follow. I understand how you feel, having no choice, no say..." Adele paused for a moment, releasing Cassandra and stepping back slightly.

"You might not remember, but I was the rebel before you were, after all. Forced to stay inside, only allowed out to see you and Owen... I got my freedom, but... I would give it up in an instant, you know..." Adele began, trying to hold back her tears.

"I only became free because brother died. Because I became the heir... the eldest. When I was cooped up like you are, I thought to myself, always... I would do, give anything, to be free, to do as I please, but... if I had to live my life within Castle walls until the day I was given to some nobleman as a wife..." Adele paused for a moment, striking at the nearby wall, though not hard enough to injure herself this time.

"I'd give it all up in a second, to have him back. Even if, when he was alive, at times I hated him, for his right to do as he pleased..."

Another hug. This was awful. Cass couldn't help herself anymore. She started crying, but she stayed quiet, and listened. Because truth be told, she had no idea that was why Adele had been given all of her freedom. She had always thought Tobias was just less strict. A more open father, less struck with his upbringing and what the kingdom had taught him. If that was the reason why Adele was allowed to be so free spirited... The only way Cass would get some form of the same treatment would be--

She stopped, not even entertaining any level of that thought. He was the only family-- the only man in her family that she could truly count on, and she loved him; she loved Owen. No matter what it would give her, if he were to die, she would never be the same.

"I understand, Adele... I do, I really..." She couldn't help to start sobbing, ugh, what a fragile existence this was. Words came out and tears came with them, why were they so linked when someone was sad? Why couldn't you do it separately? It was so hard to talk to someone while all you were doing is choking on your own air. She wiped her eyes dry, new tears replacing them, and pushed herself off of the wall, diving into Adele and giving her a huge hug.

Catching Cassandra as she dove in for an embrace, Adele returned to rubbing the Princess' back, gently trying to coo into her ear in an attempt to calm her down.

"It's hard, I know... I miss Teddy so... ah, he would always grow so flustered when I called him that..." Adele replied with a melancholic expression, holding Cassandra tight.

"I just want you to know that I understand your frustrations, I really do..."

"I know you, you do, I... I'm just... I'm just a mess..." Cass rubbed her tears away on Adele's shoulder, staining her dress, but it was just tears, they'd go away easily. "Thank you... Adele, I love you." She quickly looked up at her, hugging her tighter. "I love..." Cass got quiet, pushing herself up into another kiss, starting it off, this time. I love this. I love this feeling, right here. It's so comforting... The hug got tighter. Cass blushed deeper. She was still crying, but the tears were going away. I just love this... Why have I waited so long for this? I should've done this so much sooner...

Accepting the kiss, and allowing Cassandra to lead as she pleased, Adele continued to gently rub the Princess back, tightening her embrace as she did so, and following along with Cassandra as she went along her way.

The kiss had to end-- Cass had to breathe, but she did so with a gasp, staring at Adele, locking eyes and finally stopping her tears. "Adele, listen... If we can't get married, can we... Can we still have moments like this? Where we're together, embracing? Just us, like this..." If her answer was yes, then Cass had another question... "We can help each other feel better about what's going on around us. Give each other strength. Even if it's in secret, even if that hurts... It's better than not having it at all. Far better."

"Of course, Cass. We don't need to be married, to do this. I'll be here for you, just as I know you will, for me." Adele replied, managing to crack a small smile.

The patrons howled with laughter, Niko's speech was barely audible above the pack of hyenas in front of him. It was almost repulsive, they were even uglier and smellier than before. However, things quietened down as soon as Niko displayed his magic, many of the smaller men silencing themselves immediately.

"You don't get how the Dank Codger works, my little bibliodroog." the large man replied, somewhat more cautious of Niko than before. "The first rule of the Codger is to never crast another droog's kleb. Dratsing's only for settling rabbit. And between you and me, you don't want to have any rabbit yer first time here. Yer be dank enough fer my books. It be better if yer lose the yahzick, otherwise we might be havin' some rabbit. Be havin' some moloko if yer be dank enough."

The others in the room returned to their business, Niko didn't seem to interest them any longer. There were a few keen eyes present though, quite possibly people willing to be hired.

A large man, a woman, a man with a mustache and a young man seem to be interested!

-

The dungeon never was a pleasant place, the cries and groans of the convicted and damned were a horrible cacophony. Passing the warden, Owen saw his father ahead, looking sternly at a cell - one containing Dettard. Chained to the wall and badly beaten, the young man seemed to be keeping quiet for his own safety. Turning to his son, Oswald looked at him with dire eyes, a clear sign that there was business to take care of.

"Owen, I suppose you have many questions to ask... some of which I may be able to answer." he said solemnly, averting his gaze from his son. "Speak now, my son. We may have conversations that should never be spoken of again."

-

Hogan looked intrigued, his long mustache curling with curiosity. "Ain't seem him for quite the while, lad." he replied, trying to recall the last time he'd seen him. "There be a problem? I can always look into it if there be. I normally see him here an' there, it's pretty unusual that he's been so quiet."

-

Eowa laughed gently, amused by Sidney's manners. "We've had a lot of work put into it. Gardeners from all across the country. There's even a noble house who sends their butler to visit, he's such an expert when it comes to plant life. Don't tell my maids but I sometimes like to trim a rose or two! I always like to lend my hand when I can!"

Edited by Shin