Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 2

Shin

Niko grinned and held up his hands. "Naw, was just a bit of flash for show. Back home they treat you wrong if ya don't show a bit of strength from the start. Good to know men here are better. And good job keepin the door." He flipped a coin to the man as he walked into the bar and sat down at an empty table. He leaned back against the wall and waited to see what might happen.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whisky in one hand. Arms folded across the table. Head barely keeping itself up. Yup, this was the life. ...No it wasn't, and Serge knew it. He had finally made his way to the capital of Wyke, Hull. He thought that jobs would be swimming with opportunities. He chuckled. What a fat load of garbage. He had taken the few jobs that the guild had let him, but they didn't pay nearly enough for him to get started on any dream he had. He should have expected competition, but he was so focused on reaching Hull that it had completely slipped his mind. Now, he had to deal with the occasional threat of death AND the threat that the big shots would take any jobs he could get his hands on. So, here he was, drinking and wasting away. Here at the 'Dank Codger'. Oh, it was dank alright. Dank enough that he had trouble breathing at times from the lardasses surrounding him. Even the drinks were dank. Then again, no one drank alcohol for the taste.

Serge didn't expect, however, a quite fancily dressed man and some pretty boy to show up. And he was even more surprised when the nice looking fellow claimed they were part of the famous Reliants. Somehow, he doubted it. What reason would such a guild have to show up to this hole? Still, he was curious. "Oi, there," he said as he walked over to the fancy man and sat down. "Mind if I sit here. I'm pretty sure you're at least better smelling than half the men here. So...you're with the Reliants, huh? Pray tell, what are you looking for in this neck of the woods?"

Edited by Dandragon

Niko grinned slightly as the man came over. That was quick..."Well, I said it, didn't I? Looking for some new recruits. We just got back from a mission and likely will be heading out on a new contract with the same folks. But, well, lets just say we could use some more men. The Reliants that is. Right now it's just me and Doug working over here, so we were hoping to find some new blood to expand the Reliants. I take it you're not only interested but you've heard of us?"

Lionel suddenly looked worried at the Captains words... "That is unusual... I was just looking to report on how one of our plans got waylaid on the campaign I recently took part in"

[Why would Regulus be nonactive?] "One of his men, Sir William was sent out to my lands for a request, and we haven't heard word of him at all" he made Andromeda's presence known "Andromeda here can confirm that" Suddenly thoughts flooded his mind [Could there be something brewing in the entirety of Wyke?] he shook the thought off, giving the gruff Captain a look of attention as he waited for an answer, if he had one to give.

"Heard of the Reliants? Heh. I can't say much for anyone else here, but half the reason I took this path is because of the Reliants. I've only heard stories, but they inspired me." The smirk he had quickly changed to a frown. "Of course, the reason I use the third person is because I'm a little skeptical. For one, aren't the Reliants supposed to be in Deira? I'd be interested in joining if it you really were them, but I'd like a little more than a name drop. No, I'd like to hear a little more about this 'job' of yours." If he had a gold piece for every time he'd heard someone fake themselves to be the Reliants at a local tavern in some random village, Serge would have been able to go back to his family ages ago.

Niko smirked. "You know, if you want to test someone, you don't just go ahead dropping all the information they might need to know to prove their truthfulness. Maybe next time try saying something about how the Reliants are based in Myrcia or the like? It won't catch all the idiots faking their membership, but it would certainly get rid of the worst of them. If you're trying to get information about the contract, you're out of luck at this stage. What respectable mercenary would give away all the info on a contract to someone who isn't even part of their group? I can promise you that it's a good one though. After all, I wouldn't need to dress like this for commoners."

He yawned and leaned back in his chair again. "If you're only interested in fishing for information, I'm sure there are others here that would be more worth my time. Oh, but before you give up on us completely..." He reached up to the cloak clasp and unlatched it and tossed it in front of the man. "If you know as much about the Reliants as you claim, you'll recognize that clasp. It's the one that all leaders of the Reliants have worn since the group was formed." The clasp was small but there was a small crest on it that was worn but still visible. Two crossed swords imposed over a flame inside a circle that appeared to be formed of chain links.

Niko smiled a sad smile, remembering the first time he'd seen that crest. The sword and flame represent our power. We do not limit ourselves in the people we accept, using mages and fighters alike. But the chain is the important part. The chain is our strength. Each member of the Reliants is a link in the chain. So long as even one link remains, a new chain can be forged. We can never be broken so long as we work together as a chain.

Serge stared at the crest, long and hard. He was right. This was the insignia of the Reliants. While he wasn't one hundred percent convinced, as he could think of a few ways a man could get their hands on this, the fact remains that he needed a job, and this man was offering. Serge's smirk had returned to his face, and it was slowly growing into a full blown smile. "Alright. You win." He held out his hand. "The name's Serge. Serge Molenli. And I'd be honored if you'd let me join."

Emmet sat in the corner with his hood raised, disguising his face. He watched the man who claimed to be from a famous mercenary guild carefully. He had never heard of the Reliants but the other mercenary was clearly skeptical and that was cause enough for him to be weary too.

Seems I'm jumping the gun and might not be here, in which case ignore.

Edited by Jotari

Angus departs the showers a few minutes after Cassandra, newly dressed and, on the whole, quite refreshed. He returns to his quarters, thankfully, without any unbearable incidents. However, the stable hand was right; bear shit everywhere could eventually become quite a problem! [Hold on a moment--this ain't the first thing that shits wherever it pleases.]

The squire finds an old, filthy blanket among his possessions--exactly what he needs. A few folds and ties late he grins at his handiwork: a diapered bear! "S'not exactly dignified, but it'll do, eh? C'mon, Geoffrey, let's go."

Angus had yet to put the bear through its paces physically, and he had just the idea for how to do so! But first, he tosses it the last of Dettard's food--a hunk of cheese, just to ensure it wasn't too terribly hungry for the task ahead.

Angus departs for the Barracks!

The bear-taming mooncalf feels quite at home here. Miserable grunts, shouting, the building of CHARACTER! His time here, and on the battlefield, taught him well that the more recruits despised their training, the more it did to harden them. And what better way is there to terrorize grunts than with a goddamn bear?

"Oei, Captain Hogan!" Angus hails his senior as he approaches, putting a protective hand in front of Geoffrey. "Lionel, too? Steady yourself; he's tame enough. Brought 'im home from campaign!" He chuckles at the weary recruits, some of whom were taking notice. "Say, y'got any sluggish bastards here? I need to put this'un through his paces, an' if any have been slackin' on runs... well!" The squire looks around, at a crowd that might on aggregate be older than he was. [Not half the grit or the experience, though. Perfectly good soldiers die on campaign, and these boys just aren't quite there yet.]

Soon after, though, Angus recognizes that Lionel and Hogan were discussing business. "Ah, forgive me. Jus' give me the yea or nay an' I'll be out of your hair!"

Edited by Terrador

Doug was riding high after getting a peck from Adele. no girl had ever attempted such a feat, not when Doug was decked out as a female peg knight. Not to mention the hefty paycheck he had coming. Luck was finally on his side! He wasn't about to break this streak, so he followed Niko over to the "dank" bar.

While Niko was talking to the barkeep (he guessed), Doug snuck past him to get a closer look at their surroundings. This was not exactly the establishment royals gathered in. In fact, to Doug's disappointment, there wasn't much in the way of ladyfolk. Wait, there's one!

A large man, a woman, a man with a mustache and a young man seem to be interested!

The atmosphere was a bit hazy, but that definitely looked like a woman. Doug made a beeline to the lady to gauge her interest in merc work.

"Name's Doug," he began with a smile. "What brings you around here?"

"Fear not- your secrets are safe with me, Your Highness!" Sidney assured the Queen. She took a look at a few of the roses. "Ah, how lovely. I've never done much with gardening, but they look quite nice to me."

After a few moments of waiting --and realizing his father must've beaten him in punctuality--, Owen walked in to meet the king where he'd expected. Right in front of Dettard's cell. Owen made a passing glance towards Dettard, face frowning at the young man's condition. What he did was grave, but we shouldn't have resorted to this before speaking... He quickly hardened his expression and turned to listen to his father.

"Father, my king... Is this man, truly, related to us in any way?" Owen went straight to the point, eyeing his father with concern. "I'm sure you've heard what he claims to be by now. I'd know better than to believe a traitor's claim, but.." He shifted his gaze back to the former baron, reminiscing of their duel. Dettard's hair did share the faintest color, and he *did* perform the royal family's sword technique, yet... "I need to hear it from you, father." If Dettard wasn't, surely there was a reason he'd be deceived to think so, maybe King Oswald would know. "...And, what is your judgement of him as a traitor, father? How do you intend to deal with him?"

Barracks

Hogan nodded, the mention of William definitely rang a bell. "That's mighty odd, Kylander... messengers don't go missin' unless someone wants 'em to. Haven't seen from Bill in a while either. Don't think he came back, never moved his things from the barracks... I was just wonderin' when he'd come and collect 'em."

Andromeda finally pitched in, having kept quiet for so long. "I know William, he's not the kind to leave his things about. He was always lecturing Ermin about making sure his possessions don't go missing."

The conversation had grown rather dark, the atmosphere was rather heavy. That was until Angus bungled in, bringing along his diapered bear.

"Kearney!" Hogan roared, almost literally fuming. "What kind of ill thought out, darn fangled hairbrained scheme is this, you mooncalf!" The instructor gave himself a few seconds to calm himself, Angus always seemed to find a way to do something outrageous.

"I got a few fellas, doin' laps outside, who you can set your pet on." he sighed, looking at the cub. "Yer always did have a strange taste in things."

-

The Dank Codger

Most of the patrons looked at Doug with leary eyes, giving him smiles and wolf whistles. "I always did lik'em young." a particularly dodgey fellow chortled, wiping his mouth. "That's a dobby kisa, wouldn't mind a bit of the ol' in-an-out, out-an-in if you get my drift."

As Doug approached the woman, she looked at him with curious eyes. "I'm sorry, sweetie, I only serve me-... oh?" she began, rather surprised. The was a forbideen temptation to the woman, her hair was long black and silky, and her clothes weren't exactly doing a fantastic job of keeping her covered.

"I'm Larissa, I frequent this fine establishment." she charmed, noticing Doug's true intentions. "Doug, sweetie, I haven't seen you around before... what's a handsome young man like you looking for here? If there's something I can help with, I'll be more than willing to sort you out. Maybe you'd like to grab a glass of Moloko with me?"

-

The Garden

Eowa looked over at the roses, adjusting another back into like. "Thank you, Charlotte. My husband's so busy with ruling the kingdom, I like to try and make little differences when I can." she replied softly. "Tell me, what happened during your journey? Owen's eyes seemed so sad when I saw him return... and I haven't had a chance to speak with him yet."

-

The Dungeon

Oswald grimaced, his eyes were as stern as ever. "I do not care who or where Dettard came from, his lineage is not important. I only have one true son, and he is the young man standing in front of me." he retorted, a suppressed rage hidden in his words. "To conspire with bandits and to try and slay the true prince of Wyke. those are unforgivable acts, Owen. I think you very well know what we do with traitors like him."

Dettard looked down at the floor with defeated eyes, his lips moving silently. His bravado and pride had been crushed, there was no energy left in him. Whether it had been his defeat or his impending fate, it wasn't clear, but Dettard was a shadow of the man he was before.

"Owen, you shall rule this mighty kingdom one day, I shall let you decide this man's fate. Your word shall be final, but I expect you to make a decision that is expected of our future king. I do not expect to be disappointed."

Edited by Shin

Sidney's cheerful expression turned grim at the mention of the events that happened. "It was difficult for the Prince, I fear... We were forced to battle in Baron Dettard's manse, and lost some on our side in the combat to an ambush when the doors were suddenly locked. I managed to open them in time for most of us to leave victorious, but I think it weighed heavily on him. I wish we'd left early, but someone engaged with a giant foe and the Prince didn't want to abandon him, as foolish as his actions ended up being... I tried to comfort him after, but I wonder how well I did. Usually these things do take time to heal."

Angus trots off, bear in tow. [Alright, jus' gotta let 'em group up a bit, and...!]

The two charge onto the track, Angus hollering at the unfortunate grunts. "Well, lookie what we have here! Bear's comin', boys! Best hurry up~!" He chuckles, keeping just ahead of the cub. [Let's see just what you can do, hrm?]

After Angus had went in and out with his usual antics, Lionel almost couldn't help a small smirk, but he suppressed the urge "I'd go out looking for him myself, but in these ominous times, I don't think we can spare almost anyone in case of an emergency"

He glanced over at William's things, hoping to maybe see something off from the norm.

Niko took the man's hand and gave it a strong shake. "Welcome to the Reliants then. I'm Niko, current commander of the Reliants. That's Doug over there. Hopefully he's looking into recruiting too though I'm not sure he's looking in the right spot... Anyways, I'm not certain about our current living arrangements, but wherever we get rooms, you're more than welcome to join, on the coin of the group of course. As we get further details about our next job, you'll find out and once we're in a more... quiet location, we'll give you more details about what's going on. Sound good to you?"

"Sounds perfect. Glad to have met you, Niko." Serge looked over to the one called Doug. He was chatting up one of the ladies at the bar. "So, uh...has pretty boy over there always been such a ladies man?"

"Err..." Niko looked at Doug, looked back at Serge and sighed. "Well first off, I'm fairly certain that lady would listen to anyone who has money. So I'm probably going to need to go grab him before he does something stupid. Beyond that... He's ever hopeful, I'll give him that?"

"Hopeful. And possibly in a whole lot of danger depending on what that girl is carrying. Oi! Doug! Your boyfriend is waiting for you over here!" Serge said waving over Doug. He also had the biggest grin on his face, trying not to laugh as hard as he could.

"You groan now but I just saved him the worst type of pain a man could even get." Serge turned towards Niko. "Besides, I bet half the people here are far too drunk to have even understood what I said. See? I'm looking out for ya!" He gave Niko a thumbs up and a wink. "If it makes you feel any better, I promise I won't cause any more trouble from here on out. I'll even buy you a drink with some of the money I got left." He then looked around. "If you prefer, in a tavern better than this..." He said in a voice only Niko could hear.

"And you, your highness." Claire nodded, before turning her attention to the vial. She had no idea what was in it of course - her experience with potions and the sort was fairly limited, and this seemed to be no ordinary potion. She tapped her feet in place as she thought about what to do. The apothecary, of course, would be more knowledgeable when it came to this sort of thing, but did she want to trust a stranger with this?

Not really. She set off out of the room, having made her decision. The mage guild weren't quite as suited for this kind of thing, but she knew the people there better. There was probably somebody there that she could rely on to get the job done, she figured, so hopefully there would be some familiar faces inside.

The Dank Codger

Most of the patrons looked at Doug with leary eyes, giving him smiles and wolf whistles. "I always did lik'em young." a particularly dodgey fellow chortled, wiping his mouth. "That's a dobby kisa, wouldn't mind a bit of the ol' in-an-out, out-an-in if you get my drift."
As Doug approached the woman, she looked at him with curious eyes. "I'm sorry, sweetie, I only serve me-... oh?" she began, rather surprised. The was a forbideen temptation to the woman, her hair was long black and silky, and her clothes weren't exactly doing a fantastic job of keeping her covered.
"I'm Larissa, I frequent this fine establishment." she charmed, noticing Doug's true intentions. "Doug, sweetie, I haven't seen you around before... what's a handsome young man like you looking for here? If there's something I can help with, I'll be more than willing to sort you out. Maybe you'd like to grab a glass of Moloko with me?"

This was great! Doug was clearly the most popular guy in the room. This Larissa character was quite the looker and took a sudden interest in the rider. Maybe Adele really was good luck. He'd have to get her praises more often if it meant nights like these.

"Well, I happen to be a part of the Reliants, a famed mercenary company from across the sea," Doug began, attempting to sound like an impressive foreign warrior. "We're looking to...diversify our ranks. I couldn't help but notice a distinctive aura about you. Tell me, are you gifted in the magic arts?"

Doug phrased his recruitment speech in such a way as to get a date out of it should things not work out. He felt so sly-

"Oi! Doug! Your boyfriend is waiting for you over here!"

Doug looked over to see someone he didn't recognize call out his name. Judging from the stupid grin across his face, he assumed the man was another drunkard playing a joke on him.

"Oh, drunkedness and make such characters out of people," Doug said, waving off Serge's comments. He wasn't sure what a moloko was, but he was getting one tonight.

Niko sighed and stood up. "Right, I'll be back." Walking over to Doug, the man smiled at the woman, and asked, "Excuse me, do you mind if I borrow my companion for a second?" Grabbing Doug by the shoulder, he walked him a good few steps away, out of earshot, before looking at the younger man and quietly explaining, "While I appreciate your enthusiasm for recruiting new folks, you have to realize two things. One, getting involved with someone that you're trying to recruit into the band is not a smart idea. Not right off the bat like that. Second, and more importantly, that woman is likely a prostitute. If you want to get involved with that, go ahead, but keep in mind I just told this whole place that if they joined us they would be paid well which means she knows that you've been paid well. Just don't do anything dumb, ok?" With that, he gave the pegasus rider a gentle shove back towards the woman and went back to Serge. "Well, lets see how this plays out I suppose..."