Bad/Horrible support conversations!

Michelaar

I've mostly read the original translated supports, but from the few localized versions I've read:

Hana x Corrin

Hana x Jakob

Camilla X Corrin

anything with Rinkah

anything with Peri

anything with Tsubaki

anything with Jakob, really.

Beruka x Oboro (it was good unil the A support)

There are more, but I feel I've listed enough.

Edited by Nimue

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beruka x Oboro (it was good unil the A support)

The jpn and eng version of that A support bothered me quite a bit. Almost all of Oboro's supports with the Nohrians she can support with bother me. They should have been handled better. The only one that I like all the way through is her support with Silas. The Oboro/Beruka support is great until the A support. With the Benny/Oboro support I have mixed feelings.

Edited by Frelia

The jpn and eng version of that support bothered me quite a bit. Almost all of Oboro's supports with the Nohrians she can support with bother me. They should have been handled better. The only one that I like is her support with Silas. With the Benny/Oboro support I have mixed feelings.

I share the same feelings. It's just that the one with Beruka stuck out as the worst of them all for me. When they first revealed her, I was worried the Nohr - hating aspect of her character would be overdone and poorly justified, and it turned out exactly that way. The other aspects of her character are alright, though, so I don't completely dislike her, but I'm just not fond of her in general.

Personally, I'm very much not a fan of the support between Camilla and Niles. Sure, it has Camilla provide the information that she does in the A rank conversation, but it utterly fails as an actual support chain for me. First, he harasses her over a relationship that means the most to her. Then, he does it again and tells her why she deserves it. And then she knocks him off his high horse, tells him why his reasons for bothering her in particular are hogwash and he admits that he screwed up there. And after that mess a decent number of people think that this pile of rubbish should proceed into an S rank. Is this some sort of elaborate joke? Niles' behavior here is a whole new level of off putting.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

I share the same feelings. It's just that the one with Beruka stuck out as the worst of them all for me. When they first revealed her, I was worried the Nohr - hating aspect of her character would be overdone and poorly justified, and it turned out exactly that way. The other aspects of her character are alright, though, so I don't completely dislike her, but I'm just not fond of her in general.

Could I ask why you disliked Oboro's support with Beruka?

It's actually considered one the best supoorts of the game, and a lot of people(myself included) really like it.

Could I ask why you disliked Oboro's support with Beruka?

It's actually considered one the best supoorts of the game, and a lot of people(myself included) really like it.

It's not the whole support I dislike, just the eyeroll-worthy conclusion. It made no sense for Beruka to offer Oboro any compensation, especially her life. At least Oboro notes that Beruka had nothing to do with the incident, but she still has to make a remind the audience that she hates all Nohrians, including the one who showed her some kind of sympathy, just because.

I guess the fact that it was supposed to be one of the "good supports" of the game made me more critical of it. I dunno. My opinions about this game and it's characters usually differ from what the majority of fans on this site and others have.

I think in Ryoumarx's case it makes sense considering that's why they teamed up in the first place--and I wouldn't have minded some mentions of Corn if it wasn't so rampant in Ryoumilla. As much as I don't like Corn and ignoring the S rank your sibs bullshit since that's only there for fanservice, storywise Corn is their sibling, and in Ryoma's case is the one that got kidnapped in front of his eyes--which is why some mentions with Corn as a framing device doesn't really bother me, as long as it makes sense in context and not super overboard like Ryoumilla and Arthur/Cam and Silas/Cam.

Poor Cam. It's really mostly her supports that the devs made super Corn-centric, isn't it. I feel bad for her. Hell, even if her reason for being so doting on Corn was more fleshed out--seen a bunch of fancomics on that which gives good feels. Should've been in actual canon.

Camilla's support having a big avatar focus is a bit annoying, but I actually liked the Ryoma/Camilla support for what it was. The writers seemed to know those two have absolutely no chemistry with each other and they show it quite well with them struggling to find something to talk about. The avatar bit mostly seemed to be talking about the one subject they had in common.

Camilla interupting Ryoma's long winded confession and telling him to just get on with it was also something that made me smile a bit.

Camilla's support having a big avatar focus is a bit annoying, but I actually liked the Ryoma/Camilla support for what it was. The writers seemed to know those two have absolutely no chemistry with each other and they show it quite well with them struggling to find something to talk about. The avatar bit mostly seemed to be talking about the one subject they had in common.

Camilla interupting Ryoma's long winded confession and telling him to just get on with it was also something that made me smile a bit.

Except they don't have to have no chemistry. I can see a lot of potential with the two given their characters, which is why I'm salty about the squandered potential. Were it someone that would truly have no chemistry with, sure, but in this case it's devs being shortsighted and not looking deeper with their own goddamn characters to see a well of potential.

Completely wasted. I do like the S, though. About the only good thing.

I don't even dislike Ryoumilla as a ship because I can see their potential. I don't like their support, but I'd honestly pair them together over a lot of his other options because there's a lot that can be done with this pairing, and a bad support doesn't mean people who actually care about these two characters together can't make something that fit both of their characters and don't suck. I've a few friends who's really into Ryoumilla precise because they see just what kind of dynamics they could have if they tried.

There are plenty of characters who don't have business talking to each other. Ryouma and Camilla aren't one of such.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Oboro, Hinoka, and what I remembered, Sakura weren't that bad. And their is also his support with Saizo.

True, his supports with the sisters were actually pleasant to read. I really enjoyed them. At least in his support with Sakura, his embarrasment at slipping up is tied to how he wants his image to reflect his liege.

Too bad I can't say the same for the others.

It's not the whole support I dislike, just the eyeroll-worthy conclusion. It made no sense for Beruka to offer Oboro any compensation, especially her life. At least Oboro notes that Beruka had nothing to do with the incident, but she still has to make a remind the audience that she hates all Nohrians, including the one who showed her some kind of sympathy, just because.

I guess the fact that it was supposed to be one of the "good supports" of the game made me more critical of it. I dunno. My opinions about this game and it's characters usually differ from what the majority of fans on this site and others have.

I agree with this.

I like Oboro as a character as well but, while her vitriol towards Nohr is understandable, I really dislike some of her supports with the Nohr characters for reiterating the exact same thing. They go out of their way to inform the player of something that it takes a few seconds of her introduction (in Birthright), reading her character description or simply looking at her personal skill to understand.

"Yes, I know Nohr has done slights against you, Oboro. Yes, I know I'm a Nohrian, Oboro, you can stop making that face at me. Yes, I know you are the "bigger" person for fighting with people from a place you hate. Yes, I know you hate Nohr, Oboro. Can we talk about something other than your hate for Nohr with other Nohrians, Oboro? I know you hate my country, Oboro, but perhaps you can come to realize that all people from Nohr are not the same people that killed your parents? Can you maybe understand that while some Nohrians killed your parents, some Nohrians have also killed my--a fellow Nohrian's--family as well? Oh, you do understand that? Oh, but you still hate Nohr even though you're a big enough person to fight with us? Oh, okay."

The above is a gross exaggeration with no particular character but, again, that is how I felt when reading through a couple of her supports.

I still ship her with Silas and Benny, though.

I agree with this. That is what bothered me about the A support. I like their c-b support quite a bit, but the A support is iffy. It was really out of character for Beruka to offer her life and once again Oboro has to point out that she still hates Nohrians including her. At least she points out that Beruka had nothing to do with the incident. I love Oboro, but that part of her character bothers me because how poorly it is handled most of the time. The only support that actually seems to handle this pretty well is her support with Silas. In that support you can see her making some actual progress and Silas is nice to her throughout the entire thing.

I agree with this.

I like Oboro as a character as well but, while her vitriol towards Nohr is understandable, I really dislike some of her supports with the Nohr characters for reiterating the exact same thing. They go out of their way to inform the player of something that it takes a few seconds of her introduction (in Birthright), reading her character description or simply looking at her personal skill to understand.

"Yes, I know Nohr has done slights against you, Oboro. Yes, I know I'm a Nohrian, Oboro, you can stop making that face at me. Yes, I know you are the "bigger" person for fighting with people from a place you hate. Yes, I know you hate Nohr, Oboro. Can we talk about something other than your hate for Nohr with other Nohrians, Oboro? I know you hate my country, Oboro, but perhaps you can come to realize that all people from Nohr are not the same people that killed your parents? Can you maybe understand that while some Nohrians killed your parents, some Nohrians have also killed my--a fellow Nohrian's--family as well? Oh, you do understand that? Oh, but you still hate Nohr even though you're a big enough person to fight with us? Oh, okay."

The above is a gross exaggeration with no particular character but, again, that is how I felt when reading through a couple of her supports.

I still ship her with Silas and Benny, though.

That is exactly what bothers me about Oboro's supports with the Nohrians she can support. I know that she has a good reason for her feelings towards everything Nohr, but it's still not okay to paint everyone there with the same brush. Racism takes a long time to unlearn and is something that is not going to just go away overnight, but I would have liked to see Oboro's supports with the Nohrians handle that part of her character better.

Edited by Frelia

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the SaizoxBeruka support chain was excellent I thought. The C support made the rest sort of rushed, but it was so true to both characters that I literally laughed out loud.

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the SaizoxBeruka support chain was excellent I thought. The C support made the rest sort of rushed, but it was so true to both characters that I literally laughed out loud.

It's easily one of the best supports in the series. It makes you want to see what the hell the rest of the conversations are going to be while keeping the characters in character...

Edited by Augestein

I should mention that I'm not fond of Jakob and his son. It's pretty... Bad. A lot of the parent - child I've gotten so far have been pretty lackluster. Shiro's is pretty solid though.

Jakob and Dwyer's support bother me too and I wish I didn't read it. I know that Dwyer is not a cinnamon roll either, but still.

Edited by Frelia

I guess I can see why people dislike the BerukaxOboro A support, personally I thought it was interesting that Beruka wanted to give Oboro some closure, even at the cost of her own life.

And about Oboro not getting over her dislike of Nohrians, I honestly think it makes her more human. It's not easy to get over something like that so quickly. Besides, she doesn't seem like the fact the she's racist.

I know it's fairly popular as a ship, but Saizo/Charlotte honestly. I don't mind couples that are sort of love-hate, and I enjoy when people see through Charlotte's act, but these two are pretty awful to each other. Charlotte genuinely can't stand him until the end of A, and why does she start to feel differently? Because he...noticed her work. Which yeah, nice enough. But that doesn't really have much to do with him as a person. Like, he won't shut up about her "rotten core," as if he can't truly see her good heart.

He doesn't learn about her motives, and has the nerve to say that no one else knows that she "has redeeming features." Pretty much the whole basis of their S support is, "You're pretty much stuck with me since no one else knows who you really are." "What." "No, really, I'm the only one who understands you, so if you don't hate me, marry me." Her reasons for choosing him were pretty weak, too, and she ends the support with more verbal abuse, even though he had made it clear how much it bothers him.

Like...I can't imagine a couple having worse chemistry. A shame, since I love them both individually.

Good, I'm not the only one who thinks so (Even though a dear friend of mine ships these two really hard). I'm guessing the appeal is that they're supposed to be a couple that has the whole "Slap, slap, kiss, kiss," thing going. You know? Constantly fighting, but always having sexual tension... But I honestly don't see any sexual tension in their supports. In fact, all I can see in their interactions is something that comes pretty damned close to hatred.

Yep, guessing that to be the case. And theoretically I would've been fine with that, it's really just how they came across, like you said. Anyway yeah, very cool to know that it's not just me who sees it that way.

After doing some support grinding, found that there's also another pair I really can't stand. Leo and Peri. Their C-A was fine from a platonic standpoint, cuz hey at least he's questioning her morality (lookin at you Xander), but their S was so HORRENDOUSLY out of character. I was just cringing the whole time. Instead of him actually getting through to her, they have him drop it altogether?? And made the ending about how "sweet/romantic" it is that they're willing to murder for each other, despite literally everything Leo just said about all killing as wrong?? Who wrote this crap for my precious bro let me fight them.

Most of the supports I've read feature either Corrin or Azura, so I'll just do some of the supports I didn't particularly like from either of these characters:

Azura x Kaze: For the life of me I never understood why so many people like this ship, granted the basis of the support sounds decent on paper, but the way it was executed just leaves the whole thing a confused mess. The chemistry makes no sense, Kaze constantly falls in and out of character, and it hardly feels like they've grown closer by the end of their A support. While I can commend the localization team for cleaning it up a little, this support just couldn't be salvaged.

M!Corrin/Almost Every 1st Generation Female: Poor M!Corrin, he really got the short end of the stick in this game. Not only can he not have his daughter without preventing another unit's child from being born or marrying either an Avatar-only character/2nd gen (which honestly don't seem like the most favorable marriage options imo), but his supports just don't seem to make marrying him off worth it. Why? Because many of them follow the same formula. They often feature Corrin encountering the female character he's supporting with who, through whatever means of prompting, ends up providing exposition about themselves or other characters that, more often than not, is already mentioned in other, more interesting supports (ex. Rinkah), rendering S-ranking M!Corrin to a 1st gen completely redundant, and even when M!Corrin's supports don't follow this formula, they tend to be bad (ex. Hana). The only supports I can think of that don't fall into either of these categories are all of the neutral females (i.e. Mozu, Felicia, Azura).

F!Corrin/Hinata (S-Support): The end of this support was really disappointing. After so much good buildup, we end with a convoluted love confession and a bitter taste in our mouths. Then again, I'm kind of glad I became turned off from Hinata, because it means I don't have to put up with his son's cringeworthy pickle obsession.

F!Corrin/Ryoma and Takumi and Azura/Xander and Leo: I put these four together because they all share a common problem: little to no chemistry. While it is understandable why they wouldn't, given that they were raised in the opposite kingdom, you would think that they would try to reestablish a bond with their long lost sister, but instead they gave us this. The older brothers are probably the worst offenders: Corrin becomes nothing more than a soundboard for exposition that's barely relevant to her while Azura is completely out of character and, much like Corrin with Ryoma, barely develops any chemistry with Xander. While the younger brothers are slightly better, their supports are still extremely lacking, especially Takumi's. And don't even get me started on their S-Supports (not that I ever wanted to marry them off to any of them for obvious reasons).

Edited by Corbin

Most of the supports I've read feature either Corrin or Azura, so I'll just do some of the supports I didn't particularly like from either of these characters:

Azura x Kaze: For the life of me I never understood why so many people like this ship, granted the basis of the support sounds decent on paper, but the way it was executed just leaves the whole thing a confused mess. The chemistry makes no sense, Kaze constantly falls in and out of character, and it hardly feels like they've grown closer by the end of their A support. While I can commend the localization team for cleaning it up a little, this support just couldn't be salvaged.

I think it's less about people liking them as a couple and more about people liking the +7 SPD Shigure and Midori get from it.

...but I can agree with this. It's inconsistent with their characters--Azura has trust issues, but opens up way too fast when it's established they've never really had a conversation before the C-support, and Kaze switches between his formal self and a suddenly teasing troll seemingly on a whim. It's jarring.

M!Corrin/Almost Every 1st Generation Female: Poor M!Corrin, he really got the short end of the stick in this game. Not only can he not have his daughter without preventing another unit's child from being born or marrying either an Avatar-only character/2nd gen (which honestly don't seem like the most favorable marriage options imo), but his supports just don't seem to make marrying him off worth it. Why? Because many of them follow the same formula. They often feature Corrin encountering the female character he's supporting with who, through whatever means of prompting, ends up providing exposition about themselves or other characters that, more often than not, is already mentioned in other, more interesting supports (ex. Rinkah), rendering S-ranking M!Corrin to a 1st gen completely redundant, and even when M!Corrin's supports don't follow this formula, they tend to be bad (ex. Hana). The only supports I can think of that don't fall into either of these categories are all of the neutral females (i.e. Mozu, Felicia, Azura).

Well--

*thinks*

*counts off list* Royal sisters, Beruka, Oboro, Setsuna, Kagero, Nyx, Orochi, Charlotte, Peri, Effie, Hana...

...huh, you're right. Selena's the only other I can think of, besides the neutral girls, with a support outside that formula (some of the royal sisters' are good, but not very suited for romantic chemistry). Poor M!Corrin. But Azura's the only girl he needs so

F!Corrin/Ryoma and Takumi and Azura/Xander and Leo: I put these four together because they all share a common problem: little to no chemistry. While it is understandable why they wouldn't given that they were raised in the opposite kingdom, you would think that they would try to reestablish a bond with their long lost sister, but instead they gave us this. The older brothers are probably the worst offenders: Corrin becomes nothing more than a soundboard for exposition that's barely relevant to her while Azura is completely out of character and, much like Corrin with Ryoma, barely develops any chemistry with Xander. While the younger brothers are slightly better, their supports are still extremely lacking, especially Takumi's. And don't even get me started on their S-Supports (not that I ever wanted to marry them off to any of them for obvious reasons).

I'd like to add Azura/Takumi and Azura/Ryoma to that list. Azura's C-A with them are both very cute and heartwarming...and about them growing closer as siblings. The transition from that to S is just...no. It throws away that lovely message in C-A, why would you do that.

Edited by Abvora

It's easily one of the best supports in the series. It makes you want to see what the hell the rest of the conversations are going to be while keeping the characters in character...

The Benny and Ignatius C conversation went the same way, but at least it had words lol

I actually really liked Soleil's support with Mitama. Maybe I'm biased since I love both the girls and poetry so it was fun to watch Soleil attempt at poetry. Ophelia and Soleil was disappointing, I thought it would've been more than that. I love Soleil and I really wished she had the S support with corrin instead of rhajat. Here's hoping they write bi (lesbian?) characters better next time. Niles is better in his supports than Soleil, but not by a long shot. It's just...sad for me I guess that those two pretty much are either harassing people nonstop. I'm not even going to get started on Rhajat.

I also heard that M!Kana and female corrin have the same exact conversation as a F!Kana with her mom... I haven't played as a male corrin with the female kana yet but I think it's pretty lame male corrin gets a unique convo while female corrin gets the same thing already used. I was under the impression it was unique, but I guess not.