Bad/Horrible support conversations!

Michelaar

I just saw some of the Kana's S Support. Holy hells, they are freaking terrible. It would be ok if originally they were designed to be platonic friends, or NoA could even have get away with a betrothal, but the Kanas get friendzoned so hard. Some characters even laugh in their faces on their confessions.

Edited by Lanko

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That NoA change was stupid, the S support was S support for something, also, I hate that my child is frienzoned, Silas must be the only friendzoned in this game(?)

Wait, people still use the term "friendzone"? I haven't heard that since high school where the most obnoxious kids around used it as an excuse as to why they weren't insanely popular with the ladies. Has the definition changed since then?

Wait, people still use the term "friendzone"? I haven't heard that since high school where the most obnoxious kids around used it as an excuse as to why they weren't insanely popular with the ladies. Has the definition changed since then?

Well, what else would you call it? (I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just asking. I'm sorry if I did come off as rude or anything like that).

To answer your question, it doesn't look like the definition was changed (unless I missed something).

Friend Zone :
noun
informal
noun: friend zone; plural noun: friend zones
"A situation in which a friendship exists between two people, one of whom has an unreciprocated romantic or sexual interest in the other."

Well, what else would you call it? (I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just asking. I'm sorry if I did come off as rude or anything like that).

To answer your question, it doesn't look like the definition was changed (unless I missed something).

Friend Zone :
noun
informal
noun: friend zone; plural noun: friend zones
"A situation in which a friendship exists between two people, one of whom has an unreciprocated romantic or sexual interest in the other."

How dare you ask me stuff?

Dude, of course you weren't rude, I got curious! That sure seems like a very different definition of the dreaded friend zone than the one I heard people whine about - back then it was all about how some guys were "too nice" to girls. I'unno, it was some really weird, sexist teenage drama that seemed to connect all of the thirsty teenagers in my little country. Chances are those guys weren't in any kind of "friend" zone to begin with though, which is why I got so surprised when people started talking about Kanna using that word.

Now I'm just wondering how the hell that term got popular. Sorry, as a linguist, this is very interesting.

Edited by Thane

On one hand, I kind of like that Kana got platonic'd, because he's canonically a little kid in the localisation to match his looks.

But what shits me is Midori and Percy - why the hell weren't they given the same treatment? And why aren't THEY the ones that Kana can "marry?" If anyone, I thought it should be them - make their supports about innocent childhood love and make a promise to get married when they're older like kids do.

But no, Percy and Midori are ~adults~ and I'm guessing the only reason for that is that the Player "Magic Junk" Avatar can bang them to make Kana.

It's the same with Soleil - the localisation bent over backwards to clarify - "no, no, she's bisexual. See? We added this line. She likes boys and girls." But then her only opposite-sex romance is with a dude who looks like a lady and, yes, you got it, the player avatar, while simultaneously having no romantic female supports (instead, hers are just kind of... creepy, at least early on.) I suppose the localisation has something in common with IS in that they just can't make up their minds or commit to a single idea.

EDIT: God I'm angry this morning. Please excuse the vitriol, I just got up and I have no idea why I'm like this today.

Edited by nordopolica

Camilla x Ryouma. It's hilariousky awful.

1st Convo

C: So uh, we don't have anything to talk about.

R: Nope.

C: Surely there's something we can talk about?

R: Uh... We both are good fighters! I love the katana.

C: It sucks.

R: ...

2nd Convo

R: This is hard. I really can't think of anything to talk about.

C: Uh... Yeah, what's something we both have in common?

R and C: Corrin!

C: Oh! I can tell you all about Corrin!

R: ... No you can't. I know her best!

C: How? We knew her longer!

R: Blood ties are E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G.

C: Oh yeah!? Let's ask Corrin! That'll prove who knows more!

3rd Convo

R: I can't believe Corrin got mad at us.

C: I can. She wouldn't want us to compete over her.

R: Yeah, that's why I love Corrin so much.

C: I know right!?

S rank

R: God... Your "assets" are incredible.

C: *Blush*

R: Screw Corrin, I want to screw you.

Edited by Augestein

EDIT: God I'm angry this morning. Please excuse the vitriol, I just got up and I have no idea why I'm like this today.

I have heard that my presence can cause people to join the dark side, so maybe that's what you're experiencing.

Seriously though, don't worry about it, you don't sound any worse than a lot of us do on a good day!

On one hand, I kind of like that Kana got platonic'd, because he's canonically a little kid in the localisation to match his looks.

But what shits me is Midori and Percy - why the hell weren't they given the same treatment? And why aren't THEY the ones that Kana can "marry?" If anyone, I thought it should be them - make their supports about innocent childhood love and make a promise to get married when they're older like kids do.

But no, Percy and Midori are ~adults~ and I'm guessing the only reason for that is that the Player "Magic Junk" Avatar can bang them to make Kana.

But yeah I did'nt understand Midori and Percy. Kiragi and Selkie are the only two who can marry Kana, it's kind of strange for those two to be the ones.

I guess, Kiragi is passable. He looks relatively young. About a couple years older than Kana, perhaps. Selkie... Not so much. Maybe they chose her more for her childish and playful demeanor?

Still would have preferred Mucha-Lucha as a son-in-law, though.

Still would have preferred Mucha-Lucha as a son-in-law, though.

Follow your heart SaiSymbolic, and do it anyway. Have Mucha-Lucha been your son-in-law, the game will still treat them like their married anyway. Be like me, and have your son marry best friend your stalker because it's one of the few that doesn't break his heart and because their character ending more or less says they get married anyway (like Nina's). :V

Also, Percy and female!Kana's S rank is one of the few that doesn't break Kana's heart.

More on topic, I didn't care for Camilla/Laslow (or whatever his name is) and Camilla/Keaton. I don't really know why but I just do.

Follow your heart SaiSymbolic, and do it anyway. Have Mucha-Lucha been your son-in-law, the game will still treat them like their married anyway. Be like me, and have your son marry best friend your stalker because it's one of the few that doesn't break his heart and because their character ending more or less says they get married anyway (like Nina's). :V

Gosh-golly-gee-williker-zippity-dippity-doo, December Knight! You're right! That's exactly what I'll do!

Boy, I sure am glad IS and Treehouse was swell enough to keep in the romantic dialouge and endings despite two characters not being in a relationship in-game!

giphy.gif

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Gosh-golly-gee-williker-zippity-dippity-doo, December Knight! You're right! That's exactly what I'll do!

Boy, I sure am glad IS and Treehouse was swell enough to keep in the romantic dialogue and endings despite two characters not being in a relationship in-game!

giphy.gif

jesus christ this is the best post in this thread by far

Honestly I don't like Kana's support with Caeldori and Sophie the most.

Time to think of who to pair my poor baboo son with...

I live to serve.

Time to think of who to pair my poor baboo son with...

I think male!Kana's best S ranks are Nina, Rhajat (or maybe Midori if you don't want Rhajat as a daugher friend-in-law), Ophelia, and Selkie. Female!Kana's best S ranks are Percy, Ignatius Forrest, Asugi, and Kiragi.

(If you wanted to know anway, if you didn't then sorry for that).

Okay, I swear that this will be my last post on this topic.

Edited by December Knight

I live to serve.

I think male!Kana's best S ranks are Nina, Rhajat (or maybe Midori if you don't want Rhajat as a daugher friend-in-law), Ophelia, and Selkie. Female!Kana's best S ranks are Percy, Ignatius, Asugi, and Kiragi.

(If you wanted to know anway, if you didn't then sorry for that).

Okay, I swear that this will be my last post on this topic.

I actually thought Fem!Kana's S-rank with Forrest was better than her S-rank with Asugi, and that Ignatius's hits the "friendzoned" button a little too hard. But I agree about Kiragi and Percy, they're both really cute. Especially Kiragi's hesitant "when we're older...would you be my princess?" precious pineapple jr. is precious

I actually thought Fem!Kana's S-rank with Forrest was better than her S-rank with Asugi, and that Ignatius's hits the "friendzoned" button a little too hard. But I agree about Kiragi and Percy, they're both really cute. Especially Kiragi's hesitant "when we're older...would you be my princess?" precious pineapple jr. is precious

Well you got there, I was trying to have both Kanas have at least two S ranks with characters from both Hoshido and Nohr (and I didn't know who else from Hoshido for female!Kana). I should have mentioned that, whoops (sorry about that).

I knew I forgot something! I meant Forrest, not Ignatius... Don't ask how missed that, since I don't know either. >>;

Okay, for real! Last post on this topic, I swear...again!

Edited by December Knight

Fates suffers from the exact opposite problem that Awakening had. While Awakening had one-note characters who were properly fleshed out in the support conversations, Fates has interesting characters who suffer from a lack of character growth due to poor writing.

I was wondering why I was having a harder time liking the supports than the actual pairings. For example, I love Jakob X Azura, but many people's complaints make me think on Sumia X Chrom more and more. I think it is especially hard when I see Azama, who is probably never going to get near my character once I actually decide to play Birthright/Revelations.

Also, I was really confused about Soleil's support with Forrest/Foleo and I did do the Soleil/Ophelia support and I am relieved I am not the only one getting the 'Creeper' vibe from Soleil after the Soleil/Ophelia vibe. What's worse is the Percy/Soleil support focused on 'finding a date for Ace' and I don't know if I should continue further on that particular pairing because of it.

The Izana and Male!Corrin support was kind of... awkward for me? I saw the Izana X Female!Corrin support and was super excited about marrying him in Birthright (since Revelations decided to kill him off... What the Hell?!) and when I saw I can support with him as a male Corrin, I was disappointed with it for some reason. Like, he made him one-dimensional and hard for Male!Corrin to handle. I get he's a host but you can do so much more with a male!Corrin and Izana. You could have even copied the Female!Corrin support up until the S Support if you wanted to.

The Dwyer support almost spooked me at first because I was worried that it's a male version of the Tharja/Rhajat support. I am glad it didn't come to that. I'm glad it made me love Dwyer even more for it. Now his support with his father made me especially upset because it was a 'Who can please everyone the most' contest and Jakob was such a sourpuss. I just laugh it off though because I decided not to further support Jakob and got A Rank with Dwyer.

Speaking of Corrin pairings, any pairings outside of Camilla creep you out?

What's worse is the Percy/Soleil support focused on 'finding a date for Ace' and I don't know if I should continue further on that particular pairing because of it.

It's tame. It's basically just a reverse gendered version of Robin x Cherche from Awakening.

It's the same with Soleil - the localisation bent over backwards to clarify - "no, no, she's bisexual. See? We added this line. She likes boys and girls." But then her only opposite-sex romance is with a dude who looks like a lady and, yes, you got it, the player avatar, while simultaneously having no romantic female supports (instead, hers are just kind of... creepy, at least early on.) I suppose the localisation has something in common with IS in that they just can't make up their minds or commit to a single idea.

In Revelations she can marry Kiragi.

In Revelations she can marry Kiragi.

[spoiler=Kiragi and Soleil S Support]

Soleil:
I don't think that's ever going to change. As far as I'm concerned, you'll ALWAYS be my best buddy.
Kiragi:
Yessss! I'm SO glad to hear you say that! And I'll always be yours too, of course.
Soleil:
You and me, Kiragi. Friends forever!

The funniest part about her "platonic" S supports is that they sound like they're quite embarrassingly written to the point that their BFFness is kind of gratuitous.
Edited by nordopolica

I like Rinkah, but I have issues with some of her supports. The Ryoma/Rinkah support is one of the few supports that doesn't bother me. He actually manages to talk to her and help her out without questioning her people's ways of doing things or forcing change on her. The Saizo/Rinkah and Kagero/Rinkah supports are pretty good too. The Kaze/Rinkah support would have been much better if they didn't just talk about candy.

Edited by Frelia