What score would you give to Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade?

OliKad

What score would you give to Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What is your rating out of 10 for FE6?

So, you may remember that I did the same thing with FE4 a couple of weeks ago. Well, now it's time to do this poll for Fire Emblem: the Binding Blade! :D:

I am doing this topic to have a overall opinion about this game, since it's the one of the few I've never even tried...

Anyway, let's debate!

I'd say 9, since I feel this game has some of the best map design and overall gameplay in the series, but the strength of that is weakened by FE6's mandatory for the best ending bullcrap difficulty Gaiden chapters.

Im9GNTX.gif

out of ten

i would add a serious answer but this is genuinely the best way I can describe my experience with the game. i never finished it and that's largely because I kept getting fucked over by moments like these, which also ruined my experience with the game. if i really had to judge what I played I'd probably give it a 4 or something because aside from the fact that I hate the RNG, I hate how ridiculously long some of the maps are, as well as how ridiculously difficult some levels were.

Edited by maybe

I wouldn't give it a perfect 10, but I'd give it a 9 or higher. Maybe a 9.25 or a 9.5? Somewhere in the 9 range, but not quite a 10.

It's a great game! I love the story, setting and characters. The gameplay, graphics and sprites are great, and the map design is good. There are just some things that are a bit, uh...too hard.

Honestly like 3 out of 10. It's the one Fire Emblem I can say that I firmly dislike and I'm not going to get into why I dislike it because I know people do like it.

Honestly like 3 out of 10. It's the one Fire Emblem I can say that I firmly dislike and I'm not going to get into why I dislike it because I know people do like it.

I'd personally like to hear!

• 4 weeks later...

9/10. To me, the game had some of the series best map design, certainly the best of the GBA era, Some cool characters, and the GBA mechanics are my favorite in the series.

It's my favorite FE for a reason.

9/10, lots of good stuff. The worst part about FE6 is the unit balance.

The game could have also used Shadow Dragon style map saves because goddamn some of these maps are enormous.

[spoiler=FE6 review]
+ challenging difficulty
+ good story
+ possible to train and promote most characters

+ some good maps
- axes and lances are horribly inaccurate
- Roy's promotion is too late

- ambush spawning
- always seize missions
In total: 7 / 10

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

Honestly, Binding Blade can be a somewhat of a pain, mainly because of two things that work hand-in-hand (and can totally screw you over):

-Enemy units spawning and attacking on the same turn

-A somewhat wonky hit rate system

Both can happen very often and can completely mess you up in one fell swoop! It can get quite aggravating when it happens more often then it should! Especially hit rates! I can live with getting hit by a low hit rate chance or missing with a high hit rate chance every now and then because its possible to happen(even if it does annoys me), but this happens a lot in this game and it gets me killed almost 50% of the time!

So, do I hate this game? Actually, no. Despite the major issues(and nitpicks like Roy's Late promotion, Sophia's difficult climb up the ladder to becoming really good, or a Gaiden chapter that requires you don't kill a certain someone who constantly moves towards you and is pretty dang strong too) I have with this game, when they aren't happening or aren't recurring often, I actually enjoy this game a lot. I really like the music, bosses are pretty tough, it's a very challenging game, and while maps are pretty big and take a while to really get around, I still enjoy them for the most part. Also, the supports, some anyway, are pretty dang good! The same goes for characters (as a whole) too because some are pretty cool( ...looking at you Diek)!

Also, while I can complain about this game's hit rate system a lot, I'm honestly greatful for it because it has been pretty helpful to me. How you may ask(consider how backwards that sounds)? Planning. You see, I played this game when I was getting more into Fire Emblem. Since I had to deal with the hit rates in this game being a bit wonky, I had to make back-up plans whenever I had planned to do something since it may screw up and I would need to plan accordingly if it did. While you could probably learn that in ANY of the FE games, it was much more apparent here. Plan ahead or be dead. So for that, I have a bit of respect for what it did for me, developing something that would help me playing the FE games in the future.

I'd give it a 7 or 7.5/10. For the first gba game, it's a pretty good start that's enjoyable, but FE7 just does a much, much better job! I don't re-vist this game as much as the other games, but every now and than, I boot this game up and give it another go......even if does get on my nerves a lot of times!

Although, I've enjoyed AND beaten this game......unlike Shadow Dragon, which I've tried multiple times to playthrough, but I always stop partway through(...never got past chapter 7...keep losing the drive before then...). I like some things about it and I apparently keep going back to it and try to beat it, but I just......*sigh*...one day darn it...ONE DAY!!! ...Sorry about that. Had to let that out! ;3

I'd give FE6 a solid 8/10. I enjoyed the map design a lot, the plot and world building were good, and I enjoyed the characters enough. The only things I really disliked were the shoddy unit balance (units like Marcus, Milady, Percival and Rutger are gods, while units like Wendy, Sophia, Roy and most axe users are trash), and the awful requirement of unlocking every gaiden chapter and keeping certain units alive in order to unlock the true ending which can make a first playthrough a bit of a nightmare.

Gameplay itself is a solid eight, soundtrack is your usual quality FE material (I loved it), characters are lovable if you squint, even more so if you link the kids to their parents and that ramped up to eleven if you get overly invested and dig yourself into an eternal pit (which I did).

But thieves can't promote and that irks me to no end, and Roy's harem are the only people who can get paired endings. Also, Roy's late promotion that makes him more of a liability early-game. And to a slightly minor degree, me being salty about Wolt sucking so bad even though I love him to bits. Which is, I guess, owed to FE6's not-great unit balance and my bad habit of dragging bad units with me solely because of personal reasons rather than actual gameplay.

Also, the RNG is utter bullshit. Though admittedly, I think Fates was partially worse. Especially on Conquest.

The gameplay is challenging but doable, which makes it great fun unless you get stuck, which then sucks, and the map design was ace, if nto a bit hard at times. I definitely enjoyed it despite the sheer amount of suffering it gave me, at least, up to the point where I learned thieves couldn't promote, hoo boy. Chad would have slayed as an assassin. I'm actually considering learning hacking solely to add assassins or rogues into the game. Forgive my thief bias.

Anywho, might be lame of me to dock points because of that, but, uh, welp? And the lack of paired endings kinda broke me a lil. Where are the non-Roy endings at?

Edited by lughnasadh

I put 8 out of ten. Even the worst FE games I've played has still been good in my book.

My top tier is Blazing Sword, Path of Radiance, Fates, and Awakening

Binding Blade is right in the middle with Sacred Stones and FE12.

My bottom tier is Radiant Dawn and Shadow Dragon

I agree with the assessment here, although I'd argue that the story is average, yet serviceable. I was little more generous with an 8/10 score...

[spoiler=FE6 review]
+ challenging difficulty
+ good story
+ possible to train and promote most characters

+ some good maps
- axes and lances are horribly inaccurate
- Roy's promotion is too late

- ambush spawning
- always seize missions
In total: 7 / 10

• 4 months later...

Well, might as well explain my thoughts on a title I actually really get stuck in, but which also irks me in other ways. It's a bit of a transitional title as well, what with being between FE5 and FE7, and the differences they have in approach to gameplay and difficulty.

+ The map design is good for a lot of maps, though many suffer from the long and winding issue (8, 16, 22 come to mind; 14 is just a pain to go through). I'm not exactly great on expressing this point, though enemy placement is a good factor here. The Gaidens are a pain to get at times, but I don't dislike most of the maps themselves (16x and 20x Sacae though I certainly do)

+ I do think Roy's a bit overrated, but he actually has got a bit more character meat than I'd give credit for. He shows better tactical nous than most (*cough Sigurd *cough), in that he's trusting but is also able to pull actions that most lords wouldn't pull (e.g. Bringing Etruria into the Bern invasion). He also manages to pull a solid counterattack and win thoroughly (though I still feel like invading one of Ilia and Sacae doesn't add up ultimately, though I'm certainly off here, right?). Also has fricking Dumb Merlinus (Not the same as FE7 Merlinus certainly) to deal with, so not too shabby there.

+ Supports started here. And they are still useful in gameplay. Moreso here, where accuracy supports are seriously relevant!

+ Units in gameplay are not too weak for the most part (as in you can actually use most), but not too overpowered. I miss the mighty units of FE7/8, but it does help make a challenge. Some are ridiculously powerful without RNG blessing (Hello Miredy!)

+ The gameplay's a challenge! I mean, really the only competitor in GBA FE is HHM, and that's more unfair at its worst. This game has its moments, but overall is still a fun challenge, and why I get into it so much.

~ Honestly the RNG is a weird one as a complaint. It actually has a similar formula to FE7, but really, it's the fact that accuracy is lower for you in this game as enemies are harder. Staff ranges and hit are ridiculous in this game though, and that formula was changed for the better. See 16x and how ridiculous that one is to get over with few units with high res.

- The fact that all maps are seize missions. On top of the issues with Roy, this condition is a pain to have to constantly keep with, especially on the more winding maps. Thankfully at least the last map isn't but wow Roy you are slow without boots. ESPECIALLY Chapter 24 aka "Gotta catch 'em all (Dem thrones)"

- Most of the rest of the cast are not great and often boring as characters. And the support writing has a weak start here. It definitely improved, but a rough start here. Honestly the endings count here too. They're like Akanaia's that way.

-Roy in gameplay is kinda weak, as seems somewhat appropriate as the son of Eliwood, but really he's turned out better for me than his dad.... in a harder game where you use his (unmounted) promoted form for a shorter time. And it's locked to swords (BB is broken to all hell though)

- The soundtrack honestly is weak. I have the issue of hearing 7 first, but the tracks originally from 6 are better there. 6 also has a weird thing with use of tracks, which hurts it far more than its quality, which I do think I'm being harsh on (And seriously, Roy's Journey is the worst player phase track in the series imo and if someone calls me out that's fine, but it's played so much in this game). There's also the synth instruments used, which I think are poor for the GBA. I'd say more, but it's late.

- The villains also suck imo (not universally though). The ending sequence is an irritance; Jahn is to my a hypocrite on talking about being emotionless and his plan is pretty dumb to me, and it actually hurts the dragon plot personally. Idoun is pretty much being some pretty for Roy to save as a character, with nothing to speak to her besides what happened to her (though that's not a massive criticism, she's still not much of a character in her own right). Zephiel is a bit disappointing as while his motivation is understandable, his execution of actions is pretty stupid and he makes poor decisions that make you wonder why he's not being told to reconsider his choices by someone. And besides the Wyvern Generals (Who I don't really have much to complain about, except Narshen, whose incompetence makes me question Zephiel more), no other villain really stands out as characters and their character designs are poor. Other games were better on this front. Though they certainly are tough.

- Ambush spawning, aka "We need to make this game HARD!"

- The plot itself is simplistic, but the issue for me is that the Dragon stuff is tacked onto the Bern invasion, and could have been integrated better.

- This is a title which suffers from weapon type superiority. And swords benefit from lower accuracy in Lances. Axes are terrible (personally not enough to ignore the mighty Gon!) to be honest, while Anima also reigns in this title. Tomes are light, but Anima is especially so, while Dark's weight literally pushes characters into the trash.

So I think I'll go with a 7, it's a rough game. But it does a lot of things right too. And my crap giving should not prevent you from loving this title either.

Edited by Dayni

I do think Roy's a bit overrated

Just out of curiosity, what caused you to think this? Outside of Japan, he's generally one of the more disliked lords among those who have played Binding Blade.

Just out of curiosity, what caused you to think this? Outside of Japan, he's generally one of the more disliked lords among those who have played Binding Blade.

Mr. "Roy's Our Boy!" Roy? (I know, that's Smash, but still) I never got a vibe of people disliking him to be honest. And he's likely the lord that people say the least negative things about in the GBA era. And he's pretty inoffensive as a whole.

Which ironically is part of my issue with him.

So I think he's overrated as a character. Not even going to pretend he is a gameplay favourite though.

Mr. "Roy's Our Boy!" Roy? (I know, that's Smash, but still) I never got a vibe of people disliking him to be honest. And he's likely the lord that people say the least negative things about in the GBA era. And he's pretty inoffensive as a whole.

Which ironically is part of my issue with him.

So I think he's overrated as a character. Not even going to pretend he is a gameplay favourite though.

That's why I said among those who did play Binding Blade. I know he has a massive following in Smash.

He gets a lot of backlash in the west (less here than elsewhere) for his main story personality not being much. I like Roy, but compared to Ephraim or Hector he never really stood a chance at garnering the same level of Western popularity even if Binding Blade was localized.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I think I would give it a 9:

I find this game's gameplay to be fantastic, having some fantastic maps, in particular the ones in the Western islands(which is also one of my favorite part in the series). I also think that this game does ambush spawn right, most of the time.

The soundtrack is of the same quality, especially if we talk also about the arrangements.

As for the cast, there are characters I like for sure such as Lilina, Rutger, Karel, Klein, Clarine and Zeiss, but a good number of them doesn't really tell me anything.

For the story, I would say It's pretty basic but It does Its job right.

Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade is a solid, fun Fire Emblem game. It is the most difficult of the three GBA Fire Emblem games, but it is not the hardest Fire Emblem by any stretch of the imagination. If you enjoyed Fire Emblem Blazing Sword or Sacred Stones, you will enjoy Binding Blade.

Binding Blade has an amazing soundtrack of music, my personal favourite being "Beneath a New Light"

The main flaw with Binding Blade is that in some chapters it feels like it's unfairly hard, Chapter 14 springs to mind when I think about this, however, if you're looking for a challenging FE, look to Conquest, Radiant Dawn or Thracia.

Overall I'd give FE6 an 8/10