Suspect

From what I've gathered it's basically like a second seal from Awakening (nobody quote me on this though oops) but it doesn't change your current level.

You stay your same level, and learn the skills you missed for whatever class you've decided to be as you level up.

Basically it means that if you change a character's class to something outside of their usual classes (like Selena becoming a Wyvern Lord due to an A+ Support with Camilla) you can use a Heart Seal to bring them back to normal.

It changes within the units class set, basically the 2nd seal except people have smaller class sets.

Friend seal is A+ ranks base class, or A for yourself.

Partner seal is your S ranks base class.

If you picked mercenary and got samurai you done fucked up

Heart Seals change your class but keeps you level, and it allows you to get skills from different classes even of 1st Tier classes. For example, if Felicia is a Lv. 5 Maid with Resistance+2, Demoiselle and Live to Serve, and you use Heart Seal on her, you can swap her to Strategist, Hero or Bow Knight (classes based on personality: her other class option is Mercenary). If you change to Hero then at lv 6 you'll get the Merc skills (Luck recovery and Strong Riposte, one at 6 and the other at 7), then at 8 you'll get Sol. And so on.

Edit: be sure to check the character's class options.

Edited by Quintessence

Heart Seals change your class but keeps you level, and it allows you to get skills from different classes even of 1st Tier classes. For example, if Felicia is a Lv. 5 Maid with Resistance+2, Demoiselle and Live to Serve, and you use Heart Seal on her, you can swap her to Strategist, Hero or Bow Knight (classes based on personality: her other class option is Mercenary). If you change to Hero then at lv 6 you'll get the Merc skills (Luck recovery and Strong Riposte, one at 6 and the other at 7), then at 8 you'll get Sol. And so on.

Edit: be sure to check the character's class options.

So if im a level 10 Nohr Noble and i change to a Merc will i get the skills?