What do you like more in a new fighter: moveset or character?

The DanMan

28 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want to see out of a new fighter more?

• A unique moveset
    • A character that I personally like

Title is fairly self-explanatory: what do you like seeing in new fighters more? Do you get more excited over them being a character that you like, or do you not really care about character and instead look at (and forward to) the moveset?

I'm probably in the minority when I say it's generally the moveset for me. I didn't really grow up with Nintendo (heck, I'm still technically "growing up"), so I'm not super attached to any one series or select characters. Yes, I liked the inclusion of Robin and Corrin (I was ecstatic at the former's inclusion), but I only really wanted Robin because of unique moveset potential; I was fine with Corrin for the same reason. If they hadn't been different enough, I wouldn't have liked them near as much as I did.

That's the biggest reason why I don't like Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta; I'm not dissing their inclusion in Smash per se, but I think their movesets are just too powerful and are shoe-ins for top spots on the tier list (a suspicion which has been pretty much proven correct). But I know a few people are probably tired of my moaning over the 3rd-party DLC characters, so what say you on this subject? Unique moveset or personal favorite character?

Edited by The DanMan

I mean I was really disappointed when Bandana Dee didn't make it into Sm4sh, but I always choose characters I like to play with, regardless of who they are. I'd say I prefer a unique moveset.

Both, seeing my favorite Nintendo characters along with old childhood favorites outside of Nintendo (Sonic, Cloud etc) has been a treat. So I'm gonna lean more towards character, but some characters namely Robin and Corrin didn't impress me as choices at all until I saw their movesets.

I've played every characters series in smash, outside of Wii Fit lmao. (Yes I am a dork)

Edited by Jedi

Definitely gotta be a decent mix. It's why I'm disappointed in how Lucina was handled, fighting styles evolve over time and given how far from Marth she is in their bloodline, none of the moves should be similar, much less a carbon copy.

Definitely gotta be a decent mix. It's why I'm disappointed in how Lucina was handled, fighting styles evolve over time and given how far from Marth she is in their bloodline, none of the moves should be similar, much less a carbon copy.

Plus the fact that her own style in Awakening is much different than Marth's. Project X Zone 2 handled her much better in that department, but then you gotta realize for Smash's case that she was literally just gonna be a Female costume for Marth and they decided to do a little extra and make her a full fighter just for her fans.

I think that part needs to be at least appreciated, but I understand the disappointment as well.

Plus the fact that her own style in Awakening is much different than Marth's. Project X Zone 2 handled her much better in that department, but then you gotta realize for Smash's case that she was literally just gonna be a Female costume for Marth and they decided to do a little extra and make her a full fighter just for her fans.

I think that part needs to be at least appreciated, but I understand the disappointment as well.

Don't you worry, I understand that. I'm just largely disappointed.

Don't you worry, I understand that. I'm just largely disappointed.

Yeah I figured you did, I just remember the salt at first and felt like saying it haha.

I literally couldn't care less if my favorite character was somehow a clone of Dedede. I just want them in the game. A unique moveset is just extra for the most part. Granted, I don't think I'd have enjoyed playing as Shulk so much had he been less accurate, so I'd rather say that I'd like a character to be accurate to source material even if that means clone.

So if Chrom had been a character instead of Lucina or Robin, I'd still be fine if he were a clone. Fiora however would have less justification for being a clone of anyone.

Smash Bros is, first and foremost, the joy of having your favorite game characters fight to the death. The moveset is a means to express the character.

A mix of both, though moveset takes a little more priority. I mean, for example, even though Dark Pit is my favorite Kid Icarus character, I would trade him out for Viridi because she would obviously be more unique. And I also like her a lot as well (she's cute!). So I guess my vote is moveset since I can't vote both. Besides, Dark Pit can easily be a Pit alt model anyway, I wouldn't mind.

Although, if I REALLY like the character, such as Ike, I'd have a real hard time wanting to trade them out for anything. xP

And really, everyone should give moveset a little more priority, because who wants to end up with a bunch of clones and similar characters? That's boring.

Character. That's what the entire concept of the game is about really. Plus, we've already seen characters have movesets made up for them, so there's no reason not to be more concerned with characters that appear over their abilities.

For me, the biggest joy is just getting surprised by some off the wall character choices. Wii Fit Trainer was such a wonderful announcement because I never even considered her for Smash, and that is what excites me the most.

It starts off with character for me. Obviously the characters I'm most excited about inclusion I'm going to try first. However as much as I like a specific character, if their moveset doesn't mesh with me well then I have no qualms about looking for someone else. This mindset has given me new appreciation for characters that I either hated or was just "meh" on before like Ganondorf and Fox.

I like a mix of both but if the moveset feels bad or just isn't my style then I won't play a character. I ended up losing all hype for Lucina and Marth because they play so poorly. Same with Zelda. Meanwhile Ike is very precious to me as a character I love with moves that feel good to use. And then I liked how diverse every newcomer barring the last minute cloneland was. I might not like Duck Hunt Dog as a character much but I feel like the trap and distance maintaining playstyle is a cool addition.

Edited by Samias

I first played a Smash game before I had any sort of connection to any of the characters sans the pokemon, so movesets are what made me like many of the characters in the first place. Hence I put a pretty big emphasis on movesets, they're more or less even for me.

What we need is another Fire Emblem character. I prefer to pick my fighter based on character and not by moves because I like that character. I would learn how to play that character because I liked them. So, move set wouldn't do much for me.

Its a mix of both really. There are characters I really like, for example Ryu, but cant play them because their moveset just doesn't work for me. Then there are characters that I dont play because I dont like their characters, like Bayonetta, that have great movesets that would likely work for me. Its why I use Corrin and Cloud, they are two of my favorite characters, and have good movesets.

Naturally, I think the characters themselves are what really important. I mean come on, it's a cross-over game. Smash is not about crazy technical feats that'll ruin you hands in the process, it's about settling fan arguments and being introduced to new franchises and gaming history (yes, smash was my FE introduction).

That being said, I will agree that if a character's moveset is uncreative, that will detract from the impactfulness of the character a little bit, so I can understand the people who care about diversity. If your upset about Lucina and Roy being clones that's fine.