The official SF Shin Megami Tensei thread

To my mind this series is popular and beloved enough to deserve an own thread.

You can discuss or ask questions about everything related Shin Megami Tensei including the related series like Persona, Devil Survivor or Devil Children.

Since I only have played a couple of Persona games and the both DeSu parts it's a good way for newcomers like me to get to know more about this franchise.

Each week I'll ask you a question to give a bit food for a discussion.

Question #1: What's your favorite Shin Megami Tensei game and why?

A lively and nice discussion is appreciated.

Have fun!

PS: Idk if it should be sent to the videogame section or here. It depends how this thread develops. I just put it there not to do any mistake.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

Question #1: What's your favorite Shin Megami Tensei game and why?

My favorite SMT game is Persona 4 Golden. It's my favorite game of all time and I love it so much because of it's characters, gameplay and it's style. I know people dislike it for it's more happy-go-lucky nature but I feel like it makes it stand out more compared to other entries in the series.

SMT IV is my favorite because it was the first SMT game I ever played (I ended up getting it because of the $30 back deal and #FE) and I really like the characters and the setting the best. I have every SMT game for the DS and 3DS and I like them all, but SMT IV wins out because it was my first. I keep hoping that Atlus will release SMT IV Final outside of Japan because it looks really good.

SMT IV is my favorite, though it wasn't my first. I like the fusion system and just the gameplay stuff, except for the dumb requirements for the Neutral route. My least favorite would be Strange Journey, as I couldn't really get into it that much, and I just kinda stopped at Eridanus.

Digital Devil Saga, I simply like the story, characters, setting, music, etc.

Of course, honorable mention goes to the entire mainline SMTs, If included(sans 4, haven't beaten it), Raidou, and Persona 2.

I dunno if one would count Kyuuyaku, but if you do, that too.

Edited by Soledai

Personal favorite would probably be Devil Survivor, I love the setting and such. SMT4, SMT1 and Strange Journey come close.

I've played most of the mainline games, and Personas 1 through 3,

My favorite SMT would have to be the first one.

I've played halfway through 1, and played mostways through 4.

I've also heavily played Last Bible 1 and Last Bible 2, SMT series spinoffs. In fact I:

1. Submitted the stats of a mutation that was missing from a LB1 database

2. Submitted most of the data about the mutations in LB2 to one of the Gamefaqs guides.

Mutations are basically fusion accidents.

Devil Survivor because I've barely played any of them. IV has stellar gameplay (smirking is obnoxious at times, though), decent atmosphere, and a sick interface but I didn't really like anything else.

Persona 3 FES. In fairness, Devil Survivor and Strange Journey were the first games in the series I'd played, but Persona 3 FES was probably the one I was able to get the most invested in. I will say Shin Megami Tensei IV comes in a somewhat close second, though.

Playing through Nocturne and FES slowly. Finished P4. I think the Persona games have a very different atmosphere at least in comparison to Nocturne. It's hard to judge Nocturne with how little I've played, so I'll just say I prefer FES to P4.

As for Persona 3 + 4 I also noticed a difference in their atmosphere.

Persona 4 seemed to be humoristic with a very good mood for the most time.

I kinda missed the darkness I had in several moments in Persona 3.

Persona 4's story only began really interesting to me with the second warning letter and all the events after that (Nanako's kidnapping...)

And also the true final boss came out of the nowhere somehow even if you faced her in the intro.

The gameplay was improved, but the story never could really touch me.

devil survivor 2 because i enjoy masquerading as a hipster when in reality I am but a dirty casual.

But also because record breaker just FEELS SO DAMN GOOD

Edited by Austin

As for Persona 3 + 4 I also noticed a difference in their atmosphere.

Persona 4 seemed to be humoristic with a very good mood for the most time.

I kinda missed the darkness I had in several moments in Persona 3.

Persona 4's story only began really interesting to me with the second warning letter and all the events after that (Nanako's kidnapping...)

And also the true final boss came out of the nowhere somehow even if you faced her in the intro.

The gameplay was improved, but the story never could really touch me.

Well, if you're playing P4 for the story, there's your first mistake

Yeah, that 'true' final boss basically came out of nowhere. One cutscene and some rather obvious 1+1 to figure who the "mastermind" was pretty weak. Same with how they learned the "culprit", which was, I think, one of the most pointless scenes in the game.

It pretty much, flat out tells you who it is and they still want you "guess", it was a complete farce

Nocturne is definitely my favorite but Strange Journey is very close given it having one of the best stories of any RPG I've ever played.

Strange Journey has great atmosphere, but what's so great about the story? Just asking. I only played the neutral route, but I thought the plot was pretty unremarkable. Can't even remember if there was plot for most of the sectors beyond "find the boss and kill it" or in Orkos's case "chase the boss and kill it" or something.