Power Master's Top 10 Games of 2015 [Spoilers exist]

Alex95

I've been wanting to do something like this for a while now. At first, I wanted this to be a video on my YouTube channel, but, uh.... I don't see that happening anytime soon. :(

So, I thought I'd post it here! I already had the list all written down and I want to do something with it before it gets too far into 2016. So enjoy!

Disclaimer: I have not played EVERY game in 2015, so just because a game (like Splatoon) is not listen doesn't make it bad. It just means I haven't played enough of it - or at all - to give it a proper listing. So, uh, honorable mention to Splatoon, I guess. And I have played exactly ten games from 2015, so that was nice.

Let's get started!

[spoiler=#10]

Pokémon Rumble World, released for the 3DS eShop in April. It…was fine, I guess. I’ve never played a Pokémon Rumble game before, so I didn’t know what to expect. The graphics are nice for the handheld, but I lost interest in the game fairly quickly, having never made it past the first level or so. I think I only have Pikachu and Treecko… The controls were smooth, too, reminding me of my time playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeons. Which I...didn't...get too far...into either...

[spoiler=#9]

Mario Party 10, released for the Wii U in March. The only really new thing about this game is the Bowser Party mechanic, where one player with the Wii U Gamepad plays as Bowser and tries to defeat the four players on the Party Kart, or whatever that’s called. Yes, the Party Kart. The thing no one liked in Mario Party 9, but they brought it back anyway. The graphics are nice and the time I’ve spent playing it with my friends and family was fun, though I mainly just played it on my own. The mini-games are where any Mario Party truly shines and they were great, but the boards felt lacking because we all had to remain seated and enjoy the ride in the crappy go-kart-mobile. Seriously, Nintendo. Don’t bring that back for Mario Party 11. It’s too bad the only thing that truly felt like Mario Party was the amiibo Party, but even that was kinda lackluster.

[spoiler=#8]

Pokémon Shuffle, released for the 3DS eShop in February. I’ve never been too big on the Pokémon spin-off titles, so the only reason I bought this, aside from it being Pokémon itself, was it was free. I know. I’m cheap. Anyway, I had some fun with it for the first month or so and I liked the graphics and the Pokémon heads looked cute. The gameplay, while not bad, got stale after a while. Also, the fact that you have to buy hearts with real money to keep going after you’ve exhausted your points for the day really limited my playtime, as I didn’t have any money to spend back then. Now that I do… eh, I might pick it up again later next year or something…

[spoiler=#7]

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes, which was released for the 3DS in October. Coming off the success of A Link Between Worlds, the developers wanted to reuse the assets and make a sequel to that game. Kind like how Majora’s Mask was with Ocarina of Time. This game has a heavy focus on multiplayer and relies on teamwork to get through the game. I spent some time with my brother and his friend playing the game and we had a lot of fun! Even if you don’t have anyone to play with, you can tackle the game solo or head online. But the connection times between players, whether they’re in the same room or across the world, sucks. I’ve more than often been disconnected from a playthrough because we lost the connection at some point. There’s also the chance that you’ll encounter a troll player and they’ll either make your life miserable or just not do anything at all. I’ve had that happen to me a few times… And the main gimmick of the game, costumes, are important if you wanna make it through the game as well as can and they look great, funny, and stupid all at the same time. And I love that! A Kokiri Tunic, a Samurai costume, and a… cheerleader costume? Eh, whatever gets the job done, I guess. The music is great, too. I always love orchestrated soundtracks in video games. And apparently this Link and the Link from ALBW are the same character? I’m not buying it, Nintendo.

[spoiler=#6]

BoxBoy! is a game released on the 3DS eShop in April. I’ve heard a lot of good things about this game, and probably my favorite has to be that this game was created by the Kirby and Smash Brothers man, Masahiro Sakurai. In this game, you play as a cube character, named Qbby, and you make more cubes in order to solve puzzles in a platforming-type style. From traversing gaps to making power flow to being lifted by claw-cranes, this game is a lot more fun than I initially thought! The only real gripe I have with this game is the music, more specifically at the beginning of the game. It’s a little high-pitched and nearly made my ears ring. But it gets better as it goes along. The costumes are also a nice addition to the game. I find myself playing with the wizard costume most of time after I unlocked it, which adds another block to your limit. I’m a noob. There. I said it.

[spoiler=#5]

Yoshi’s Wooly World, released for the Wii U in October. It spent a long time in development and, once it finally released, I wanted to get it. My sister got it for Christmas, so that gave me a chance. It plays fairly similar to the original Yoshi’s Island released on the Super Nintendo, but it has its own feel to it, as well. Get it? Feel? Cause it’s… made of yarn? *crickets* The game looks great and plays very well. It looks like the entire game was crafted by sewing materials and I like it! I’ve only made it a little ways into the game by this point, but I loved every moment in it. All the different designs you can turn Yoshi into is a nice bonus. I normally swap the design every time I play, but I think Mario’s and Link’s are my favorites. At least until I unlock the Nintendo 64 print. The story is a little odd, though. Kamek turns all the Yoshis, save the two the player needs to control (because you gotta play the game somehow), into packs of yarn and now we got to go and put them all back together. I guess there’s nothing else you can do to a Yarn Yoshi. Except maybe set it aflame. But the best part about the game? NO BABY MARIO!

[spoiler=#4]

Xenoblade Chronicles X, released for the Wii U in December. The sequel to the great and expansive Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii, which I have yet to play, was first revealed simply as X back in… 2013, I think, but it didn’t fool anyone. Everyone who knew of the first Xenoblade knew what it was going to be. This is one of the most expansive games I’ve played, playing out like an MMORPG similar to World of Warcraft, but in space! Giant mechs, machine guns, alien friends. The game has pretty much everything! The cast of characters are a great bunch and are constantly bickering and helping each other. My favorite, though, has to be Lin’s and Tastu’s relationship, where she constantly mocks the Nopon for being a food she can serve in her meals. It’s mean, sure. But it’s funny. There are all sorts of things to do in the game, which is shown by the sheer number of quests you can do. Aside from the main story and simple quests you can accept outside the barracks, there are also quests that delve deeper into a character’s backstory. Some of the quests can be tedious, such as looking around frantically for a certain item in the field that appears at random or having to fight a high-level enemy in order for it to drop a certain item, only to find out that it didn’t. But it’s all a lot of fun and I’ve spent a lot of time into the game since getting it for Christmas.

[spoiler=#3]

This one might be cheating a bit, but I’m only looking at the downloadable content for the game of Super Smash Brothers 4. The main game itself came out in October and November of 2014, but the DLC started in the beginning of 2015. The new characters are certainly the highlight of the packs. Pokémon’s Mewtwo, Mother 3’s Lucas, and Fire Emblem: Binding Blade’s Roy make a comeback alongside the newcomers. Street Fighter’s Ryu, Final Fantasy VII’s Cloud, Fire Emblem Fates’ Corrin, and Bayonetta’s… Bayonetta. Corrin and Bayonetta were released in February of 2016, so I’m not too focused on those ones, at the moment. My favorite of those has to be either Roy or Cloud. They’re both strong and fast and easy to control. All in all, they are a great group of characters and are fun to play as. They spent a lot of time making these characters and they came out more than just a simple "money-grab." You can really feel the love for Ryu's and Cloud's series put into them.

The Mii Costumes are certainly a nice touch and they kind of allow players to play as characters that aren’t in the game. From characters from Tekken to Tales of Symphonia to C…Chrom! No! Why Chrom?! Who cares if you were too similar to Ike?! You deserved a spot on the roster!

In regards to the Smash Ballot, it was a great way to get more fan insight for the characters. I voted for Princess Daisy, Zelda’s Impa or Lana, Golden Sun’s Isaac, and my own character Stephan, just for fun. And I’m pretty sure there were a lot of people who voted for Roy and then had all those votes nulled once he was revealed to be in development already. Is it possible Roy could’ve been number one? Nah, Shovel Knight or Shrek might’ve gotten the top spot instead… We may never know.

Oh, and the stages are fun to play on, too.

[spoiler=#2]

Taking the number two spot is The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D, released for the 3DS in February. I never played the original game legitimately, so this was pretty much a whole new experience for me. The graphics are awesome, the story is terrifying, and there’s always something to do. It seems like every character has something they need help with. The main selling point, the masks, are awesome. But I felt they should’ve added one or two more into the remake. Maybe one that turns Link into Zelda or something, I don’t know. Thing with this game is I got lost easily and always had to consult my Nintendo Power guide of the original to get through it. While I spent most of my time looking at the guide than the game itself, I really liked it, but not as much as…

[spoiler=#1!]

Super Mario Maker! Made to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the original Super Mario Brothers launch in Japan in September. This game allows players to create their own courses in the styles of the original SMB, Super Mario Brothers. 3, Super Mario World, and New SMB U. You can make enemies large for a boss fight, have Mario run on spikes while invincible, make a course where you do absolutely nothing… Essentially, just make courses Nintendo wouldn’t. This game is entirely meant for the fans creation, but that doesn’t mean Nintendo hasn’t taken part in this, either, as their courses are online and can be played as well. One of my favorite parts has to be the costumes you can use in the original SMB style. The costumes turn Mario into another character, even into another Mario, and it all looks like something out of a ROM hack and I freaking love it. The only official game where you can have Sonic the Hedgehog run around in World 1-1.

Once you’ve made a course, you have the option to post it online and share it with the world or your friends. I’ve posted a few of mine on the forums and I’ve gotten some pretty positive reviews of them. I do feel like the search option is limited a bit, as you can only put in a code. But good thing Nintendo released the Super Mario Maker Bookmark website so you can find a course you want! It’s just too bad my Wii U and computer are on opposite sides of my house.

So there you have it! My top 10 games of 2015!

What are your top 2015 games?

Link to Top 8 other games I bought in 2015: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=62571&p=4309388

Edited by Power Master

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I played 10 new games in 2015

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer

Xenoblade Chronicles X

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes

Undertale

Majora's Mask 3D

Yoshi's Woolly World

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

ummmm

I played a lot of The Sims 2, so I'll pretend that counts

Edited by Ms. Bunch

uh

undertale

rocket league

guild wars 2 heart of thorns

killing floor 2

cook serve delicious

monster hunter 4u

crypt of the necrodancer

vermintide

galak-z

wolfenstein old blood

fuck that's only 9 and i ran out so i guess hearthstone since i started playing it in 2015

EDIT: ha i remembered one more

Edited by Integrity

Like I said, I haven't played EVERY game made in 2015. I know Splatoon and Undertale are favorites, but I never played them.

It's OK, I bet he can't no scope like a pro.

I bet you can't English, either.

I'm never great at shooters, Metroid Prime is, like, the only exception. So games like Halo and CoD (or even Splatoon) just fall flat for me.

Also, I maybe would've included Fates on the list, but I'm going off the American release, because that's where I live. So I'll include that into the next one. :)

I have some problems with your list -

1. Literally every game is from Nintendo. Your title does not mention that this is a Nintendo exclusive list.

2. Even among Nintendo exclusives, you're missing -

Splatoon

Rodea the Sky Soldier

Fast Racing Neo

Sin & Punishment 1 and 2 on Wii U Virtual Console

3. As a result of 2, some of the lower games are legit mediocre.

4. BoxBoy was not created by Masahiro Sakurai at all. He left HAL Laboratory over a decade ago.

5. Super Mario Maker was outclassed by Bangai-O HD back in 2011. I would neeever put it as #1.

Edited by Zera

1. Literally every game is from Nintendo. Your title does not mention that this is a Nintendo exclusive list.

Splatoon

Rodea the Sky Soldier

Fast Racing Neo

4. BoxBoy was not created by Masahiro Sakurai at all. He left HAL Laboratory over a decade ago.

5. Super Mario Maker was outclassed by Bangai-O HD back in 2011. I would neeever put it as #1.

holy fucking shit

Splatoon

Rodea the Sky Soldier

Fast Racing Neo

ITP: critiquing a subjective list

-snip-

k

like holy shit i had to say this eventually

yo zera

it's like

nice that you have an opinion on sin and punishment and bangai-o-spirits

but no one actively gives a shit about it

you don't need to mention them

in literally every single post

and praise them so much

every time you even bring them up i want to play them LESS

it's okay and cool to have an opinion and stuff but no one wants you to shove it down their throat, people are going to want to play them less if it's literally the only thing you talk about

okay

i'm done

i needed to get this off my chest because holy shit