Power Master's Top 10 Games of 2015 [Spoilers exist]

Alex95

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want an honorable mention for a game I BOUGHT in 2015, but wasn't RELEASED in 2015: Fusion Frenzy. It took me a while to find this game again for the Xbox and I'm still having fun playing it. It's basically Mario Party, but without the boards in the way.

I saw some gameplay footage, and this looks cool. You totally should've put it in your list. I'd much rather have the list include games from different years if it means revealing games no one else heard of, or games that are simply better.

I saw some gameplay footage, and this looks cool. You totally should've put it in your list. I'd much rather have the list include games from different years if it means revealing games no one else heard of, or games that are simply better.

i'm okay with a list of games from a certain year having games from other years if they have some arbitrary qualities as well

in fact, why doesn't your top ten of 2015 list include shadow of the colossus or symphony of the night, power master? that's a total snub

Yeah, that's actually a good idea! I'll have to try and remember what other games I bought in 2015 that weren't from that year. (Guarentee it won't include SotC, SotN, or the Godfather though, as I don't have them, but the list won't be purely Nintendo!)

maybe someday we'll make the distinction between "my best games of 2015" and "my best games I played in 2015".

or at least just not confuse it with games i have played in this approximate timeframe

Edited by Tryhard

Alright, after about 20 minutes some hard searching, I found most of the games that I could remember buying in 2015 that weren't necessarily released in 2015. This will be a Top 8 due to lack of material, but I think I have some good ones. So, the TOP 8 GAMES I BOUGHT IN 2015 THAT WEREN'T RELEASED IN 2015! ...Title's a work in progress.

[spoiler=#8]

First up is an old NES Classic, Wizards & Warriors, released in December of 1987. This game... is quite confusing, actually. You play as a knight, jumping around trying to collect these diamond-things and navigating your way through caves, mountains, and other dungeons. If you haven't played this game, think Zelda II, but with a bit more crappy controls. I'm sitting here swinging my sword, but I can barely hit anything cause the enemies are faster and more accurate that I am! I didn't spend too much time into this game because I lost interest fairly easily, but I'm sure it has some great content. Just don't know what...

[spoiler=#7]

Ape Escape has been one of our favorite series for the PlayStation, and last year I picked up the final game in the trilogy, Ape Escape 3, released in January of 2006 for the PS2. If you've already played the other two AEs, you'll find it's really more of the same, at least concept-wise. The evil monkey, Specter (who honestly doesn't look like a monkey to me), takes control of the other monkeys in order to take over the world! But this time, he's doing publicly. He's gotten his hands on lights, cameras, and TV crews in order to hypnotize the residents into becoming lazy couch-potatoes. ...Okay?

Jimmy and Spike (and the professor) have fallen victim to the hypnotism, so the task of rescuing the world from a deranged monkey falls to two other kids: Kei and Yumi. This is the first game that allowed the player to choose their gender (Kei is a boy and Yumi is a girl). They make use of new gadgets, moves, and even new power-ups! Costumes have become one of the main focuses in the game and they each effect the players attributes. I honestly forget which ones do what, but there's one that makes you jump higher, run faster, attack harder, etc. Think Shulk from Super Smash Bros. Monado.

Also, you can rescue Snake from the Metal Gear series!

[spoiler=#6]

Up next we have a game I will never play, but I wanted to include it onto this list anyway: Mass Effect 1, released on the XBox 360 on November of 2007. I'm not keen on M-Rated games, but my brother's been playing this game series a lot and I at least like the concept of it. Being able to fly around in space and talk to your teammates and aliens and... What a minute...

[spoiler=Have I played this already?]Xenoblade_Chronicles_X_-_Boxart.jpgI know Mass Effect came first, shut up.

Much like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, how you respond to things and conversations can effect your morality. Will you stand on the good side and make peace with the rest of the universe? Or will you be evil and try to take it over? I honestly don't know too much about this game as I have never played it, only watched my brother do so, but this seems like a pretty cool game. I might play it if my own morality and humanity wasn't so high. Eh, maybe not. Who knows? If you're a fan of space travel, third-person shooters, interactive characters (some are a little TOO interactive for my tastes), then I highly recommend you pick this up.

[spoiler=#5]

Heading back to the NES, we have Double Dragon. Released in 1987, this is essentially a platformer-type beat 'em up. You travel through towns and cities to rescue your girl who was kidnapped. To do so, you have to beat up thugs, bandits, and ninjas to get to her. You start with a simple punch and kick moveset, but as you progress and beat up other enemies, you can have access to knives, darts, and even headbands you can use as a whip! My time with this game was short, going only as far as level 3 before the game started glitching and crashing on us (such is the life-span of our NES), but it was a fun time to be had. I believe it's available for download now, but only on XBox and PlayStations from what I can tell.

[spoiler=#4]

Star Wars: Battlefront! We actually had to buy a new computer in order to play this (that's how big of Star Wars fans we are!). Released in November of 2015... wait. Whoops. I'm sorry I completely forgot about the release date for this game! I'll put it at #5 on the main list in the OP! Pokemon Rumble World wasn't THAT good of a game...

I suppose I'll make an exception here as I completely forgot about it. This game continues the legacy of the original two Battlefront games released a number of years earlier. We've always had a lot of fun playing Battlefront II on our XBox and this third iteration continues to be fun. While it may be more of the same (and I can no longer play against my brother as we only have one PC version), it's still great fun to play as Darth Vader and slash at your own Stormtroopers. Traitor record of 1038 achieved!

Everything about this game is improved over the other ones. HD graphics, a better solo campaign, greater cast of characters... No Star Wars fan's library would be complete without this game!

[spoiler=#3]

Once again, we're going old-school, but with a twist! NES Remix, released for the Wii U eShop in December of 2013. It has players play all sorts of old NES titles, ranging from Super Mario Brothers and The Legend of Zelda to more obscure ones like Clu Clu Land and Ice Climber. While the original games do have challenges to them, the "challenges" are more like "Get this item!" or "Defeat this number of enemies!" It's essentially re-telling me how to play the games. But that's just from an old-time gamer's view. New gamers will likely have this as their first time jumping into the games that started Mario or Link's career and I say this is a good way to do so. By taking the games step-by-step.

The Remixes, though, are where the game truly shines. It "remixes" the older games into new challenges, such as playing a level backwards in Super Mario Brothers or trying to rescue Pauline in Donkey Kong as a non-jumping Link. It completely screws over what you've already learned about the game and throws in something new. This is a game that will test the players' skills.

And it just keeps getting better with NES Remix 2, which I bought earlier in 2016, so I'll cover that in a latter list :)

[spoiler=#2]

I've had old-school games and space-themed games in this list. So let's mix the two. Star Fox 64 (or Lylat Wars) released for, well, the Nintendo 64 back in 1997. I've never played a Star Fox game before I got this please don't kill me, so this is a great game to get started with as it is one of the best - if not, THE best - Star Fox game considered by the fans. The game is pretty much a remake of the original Star Fox for the Super Nintendo back in 1993, but with improved graphics, story, and the introduction of Star Fox's rival team: Star Wolf. The way you progress in this game can vary as there are many branching paths to choose from, which are taken based on your actions in specific levels. For example, if you choose to both save Falco and fly through the rings in the water during the first level, Falco will take you to an alternate boss, thus opening a new path. This game is a lot of fun to play and I apologize for not being able to pick it up sooner. While an original cartridge might be hard to find nowadays (I got lucky), you can download the game through the Wii U's VC or play it's enhanced 3D remake on the 3DS.

I got to the second to last level and died because I ended up taking on Star Wolf alone, so I have yet to complete this...

[spoiler=#1]

You guys probably saw this coming as I already mentioned it earlier: Fuziooooooooon Frennnnzyyyyyyyyyyyyy, released as a launch title for the original XBox back in 2001. Back when my grandmother still had a game system (XBox) at her house, this was the game me and my brothers looked forward to playing when we got there. Eventually, she gave it to us, we played it for a bit, then we ended up getting rid of it for some reason! Thanks, grandma! It took me a long time to find the game again, but I finally did late last year. This game is a large collection of mini-games, were the core purpose of them is to pit the players in a tournament against each other to see who's the best! ...Or you can be like us and ignore the tourny altogether so we can just play the games :)

There are a large variety of mini-games to play, ranging from jumping or ducking under spinning turbines, a "Tron-cycle" style brawl, pushing your ball-cage against someone else's to shove them into the water, trying not to get swept over a waterfall, squashing giant bugs from eating your giant cheeseburger, throwing bombs at each other, playing "Keep Away"... This game is an absolute blast to play and I greatly missed it in the ten-some years without it.

Wait... there's a sequel?!!!!