Azura and Corrin- (Spoilers)

vanguard333

-Are cousins!? Seriously!? Normally, I wouldn't be too surprised by something like this, considering Azura isn't actually related to her Nohrian siblings yet can use Dragon Vein, and Corrin isn't related to Nohr or Hoshido, yet has more dragon powers than every other royal (except Garon). So them both being Valla royalty would explain that. Except there is one problem with them being cousins; they can S-rank support each other! I married my Corrin to Azura at around chapter 10 not knowing this, and every time I have used 'Bond' in MyCastle after chapter 24, I've been finding it extremely awkward! Why is it that in this game, two cousins (not even second or third cousins, which would have been legal in the Middle Ages) are capable of S-Rank Support! Why!? Maybe if they made it that it was only possible before Chapter 24, or that Mikoto and Arete aren't sisters by blood (maybe sisters in-law would make more sense), then that might've been better. Does anyone else have a problem with this or is it just me?

EDIT: Forget the sister-in-law idea; I was just grasping at straws (and it would just make them cousins on Azura's father's side, not her mothers).

Edited by vanguard333

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry, you're the only one that I know of that has a problem with it.

Validation aside (don't fish for it, it's tacky), this has been around in several different games (Tales of the Abyss comes to mind). Hell, Inigo could marry his niece in Awakening, if you did the support chain right. IIRC certain places allow for first cousins to be married. So even if it's a stupid plot device, it's not something to raise pitchforks over.

If you have a problem with this, please stay away from the Jugdral saga.

Reminder that "Incest" really originates in FE1 with Hardin and Nyna

I actually just found out about this recently lmao

Dude, you can't leave me hanging like this! Source?

EDIT: Wait, I'm an idiot. I suppose it took me THAT LONG to make the connection. Source is various convos within the game that explain Archanea/Aurelis' relation to each other.

Edited by eclipse

First cousin marriage actually was legal in the medieval ages, and it is legal in Japan (and even parts of the West). That's why they can S-rank after finding out--their cultural values and the values of the people who made the game don't care about kissing cousins.

With that in mind, I don't really have a problem with it and still ship them hardcore, since I view Corrin as his own character, not mine. IE he's the one marrying his cousin, not me. They don't care, the game doesn't care, so why should I? My only real qualm is that it's really badly handled. If they'd actually taken care to integrate proper foreshadowing, or at least have them talk about it, it wouldn't seem so contrived and pointless.

Edited by Abvora

It's strange to me too. But isn't Corrin still a Hoshidan? He's Mikoto and Anankos's kid after all.

He's Vallite in origin. He's only considered Hoshidan royalty because of Mikoto's marriage to Sumeragi after Corrin and Mikoto left Valla; Corrin's a stepsibling to the Hoshidan royal siblings.

Except Hardin and Nyna, if I recall correctly, were descended from two brothers that lived over a hundred years prior, so they're rather distantly related.

Also, I know first cousin marriage was legal in the middle ages but, again if I recall correctly, it was still somewhat icky.

When you put "spoilers" in your title, it helps that you don't put the actual spoiler in the tags.

As for my opinion, is it poorly handled? Yes. Do I care? No. Do I still ship Corrin and Azura? Yes. Have I paired them up in all of my playthroughs so far? Yes.

Didn't notice the tags problem (and even then I wouldn't have considered anyone actually noticing the tags). Thanks.

EDIT: I also have, up to this point, paired up Corrin and Azura in all my playthroughs

Edited by vanguard333

He's Vallite in origin. He's only considered Hoshidan royalty because of Mikoto's marriage to Sumeragi after Corrin and Mikoto left Valla; Corrin's a stepsibling to the Hoshidan royal siblings.

Oh right, in the end Mikoto is Vallite not Hoshidan.

I have been summoned by the mention of the cousincest and now I have become death, the destroyer of worlds.

First cousin marriage actually was legal in the medieval ages, and it is legal in Japan (and even parts of the West). That's why they can S-rank after finding out--their cultural values and the values of the people who made the game don't care about kissing cousins.

With that in mind, I don't really have a problem with it, since I view Corrin as his own character, not mine. IE he's the one marrying his cousin, not me. They don't care, the game doesn't care, so why should I? My only real qualm is that it's really badly handled. If they'd actually taken care to integrate proper foreshadowing, or at least have them talk about it, it wouldn't seem so contrived and pointless.

This. I don't begrudge the incest itself (It's not as if it's a new concept for the series), but the fact that it's brought up late-game in a throw-away line of dialogue and never mentioned again makes it easily the most pointless reveal in the game, possibly even the entire series.

On that note, I find it absolutely hilarious whenever I see someone going 'it's disgusting because they're cousins' on Tumblr considering that a) the Supernatural Fandom is easily one of the biggest fandoms on the site and b) that Wincest shipping (Sam x Dean, who are actual, blood-related brothers) got so popular that it was acknowledged on the show. Not saying it's a bad thing (I don't judge), I just find it a little ironic is all.

Yeah first cousin marriage is actually legal in half of the 50 states (and probably not the ones you would expect). And go look at any royal family tree it's like chock full of first cousins getting hitched. So yeah a little weird but not unprecedented.

Sorry going off-topic but last time I checked first cousin marriage wasn't incest and never was. Unless it's a US thing.

I always find it hilarious when people bring this up in games. Really is it that really big of a deal?

On that note, I find it absolutely hilarious whenever I see someone going 'it's disgusting because they're cousins' on Tumblr considering that a) the Supernatural Fandom is easily one of the biggest fandoms on the site and b) that Wincest shipping (Sam x Dean, who are actual, blood-related brothers) got so popular that it was acknowledged on the show. Not saying it's a bad thing (I don't judge), I just find it a little ironic is all.

Going off-topic, but I will never understand the double standards on that site. Apparently anything is okay as long as the people involved are the same sex, but the same situation for two people of the opposite gender? Bash 'em to oblivion.

Anyway, it could have been worse. They could have been half-siblings. Wouldn't be the first time the franchise has done that.

Might wana remove the cousin tag as that in itself is a hint on what the spoiler is about to those who havent seen the reveal. Then again its a stupid reveal and add nothing to the story other than MAYBE actually having some form of incest for those who wants that.

Going off-topic, but I will never understand the double standards on that site. Apparently anything is okay as long as the people involved are the same sex, but the same situation for two people of the opposite gender? Bash 'em to oblivion.

Anyway, it could have been worse. They could have been half-siblings. Wouldn't be the first time the franchise has done that.

Mhmm. Any time I see someone complain about the pairing because it's incest, I can't help but wonder what they'd have to say about Genealogy. They'd probably have a heart attack.

Well logically incest between same sex siblings, regardless of gender, wouldn't produce babies, which have a chance of being born with illnesses from such a union. Though the chances of that only increase with repeated generations of incest.

Not to say that justifies how they act about it, but I have seen people joke about an actual incest relationship involving Corrin that isn't Azura.

It's Lilith

I don't mind it. Fuck, I have had a crush on one of my cousins, so I can't really say anything.

But like, I watch GoT, and if you think two cousins are bad, I introduce you Jamie and Cersei. But I pretty much agree with everything Phillius said, whiel I adore Tumblr, some (Actually a lot) of people on there are massive hypocrites and need to think about shit before posting.

I see nothing wrong with incest personally. It's the persons choice at the end of the day and I could not give a crap as long as I am not affected.

(BUt can I just say, I love seeing Phillius angry whenever Azura and Corrin is mentioned. Oh Phillius)

I don't mind it. Fuck, I have had a crush on one of my cousins, so I can't really say anything.

But like, I watch GoT, and if you think two cousins are bad, I introduce you Jamie and Cersei. But I pretty much agree with everything Phillius said, whiel I adore Tumblr, some (Actually a lot) of people on there are massive hypocrites and need to think about shit before posting.

I see nothing wrong with incest personally. It's the persons choice at the end of the day and I could not give a crap as long as I am not affected.

(BUt can I just say, I love seeing Phillius angry whenever Azura and Corrin is mentioned. Oh Phillius)

Basically my opinion in a post.

Especially the Philius part.

im sorry philius s rank plz

Exactly. I don't mind seeing incest in a work of fiction, but when people complain about how one incest pairing is disgusting while ignoring GoT and Supernatural, I can't help but feel that those works only get a pass because they're more popular.

Also, I actually love Azura and Corrin together and if people don't like Azura or ship them, I'm cool with that. If people bring up the incest or call Azura 'bland' however...

4042449-angry+ed.gif

Basically my opinion in a post.

Especially the Philius part.

im sorry philius s rank plz

comment_oHHDUPMgB3SGGLR4OcKMlZyaxXhGI0dX

Also, I actually love Azura and Corrin together and if people don't like Azura or ship them, I'm cool with that. If people bring up the incest or call Azura 'bland' however...

Your waifu is so bland that no amount of salt can salvage her :P:

In all seriousness, I'm the type of person who believes that family is family and the lines between romantic and family should stay the fuck away from each other. I'm inclined to give Kamui and Aqua a "pass" solely on the basis that they never knew they were related until Revelation 24.

That said, it's still stupid. Not only do they NOT do anything with it, but what the fuck did it accomplish anyway? It's not like Kamui being related to Aqua suddenly makes them more "valid" for anything in the story. It really just is brought up and has ZERO effect on the storyline or the characters … and just makes IS look like a bunch of incest-obsessed weirdos.

I have the same problem with Kamui not being related to the Hoshidans. The only thing that would change if Kamui was related to the Hoshidans was not being able to marry them, and a stupid pointless DLC about Awakening kids that brings up more plotholes than answers would not exist. Nothing of value would be lost.

Edited by Sunwoo