Do you think quitting video games is a smart move?

Zerxen

I am not going into detail of my personal life, but I am going to start college soon and move onto a point of my life where I really need to think seriously about what kind of person I will become. With things like school and work going on, do you guys here think it is ideal to quit video games? Very recently I spent a large portion of my time playing FE; consequently all I think and daydream about is playing FE. I fear that this will negatively impact my life one way or another. Are video games really a waste of one's time, or is it a pastime that, like watching movies and other leisurely activities, should be done in moderation?

I am not going into detail of my personal life, but I am going to start college soon and move onto a point of my life where I really need to think seriously about what kind of person I will become. With things like school and work going on, do you guys here think it is ideal to quit video games? Very recently I spent a large portion of my time playing FE; consequently all I think and daydream about is playing FE. I fear that this will negatively impact my life one way or another. Are video games really a waste of one's time, or is it a pastime that, like watching movies and other leisurely activities, should be done in moderation?

Ultimately, it's for you to decide. If you think your personality means you can't moderate yourself, feel free to cut back on video games until you feel you can pace yourself.

Speaking from personal experience, I've always used video games as a refuge and hobby. I'm a doctor, and video games can actually help with reflexes and hand-eye coordination. I would never say that video games are a waste of time.

Moderation. Giving up on it completely is like denying a large part of yourself. Growing up means the responsibility of priorities. However, that doesnt mean you have to leave everything you enjoyed behind.

You know can you really quit video games? You can stop playing them but you know you should chill out on the whole thing. Fire Emblem is a game in a wierd catagory it can get you stressed which is horrible, of course even worse in collage but it can make you feel great getting past a hard chapter, or killing a enemy blocking your path. but i would say MODERATION is nessasary. but people won't laugh at you for it so. thats where i stand on it

It is perfectly possible to conciliate playing video games/[generic hobby] with studies/work/[other responsibilities]. The question, imo, is not if you should leave video games, but how to manage your hobbies while keeping your priorities straight. I don't know of any method for this, though.

if all you think about is fire emblem, that's a problem. however, i assume that's exaggeration.

you'll find that your priorities won't allow for you to play vidya as much, but it's completely ok to play them every once in a while.

You know can you really quit video games? You can stop playing them but you know you should chill out on the whole thing. Fire Emblem is a game in a wierd catagory it can get you stressed which is horrible, of course even worse in collage but it can make you feel great getting past a hard chapter, or killing a enemy blocking your path. but i would say MODERATION is nessasary. but people won't laugh at you for it so. thats where i stand on it

this is so hard to read.

Ultimately, it's for you to decide. If you think your personality means you can't moderate yourself, feel free to cut back on video games until you feel you can pace yourself.

Speaking from personal experience, I've always used video games as a refuge and hobby. I'm a doctor, and video games can actually help with reflexes and hand-eye coordination. I would never say that video games are a waste of time.

I am fully capable of moderating video games. It is just that whenever I play them, I can't help but feel that there are a number of more important activities that I could spend my time on.

I am fully capable of moderating video games. It is just that whenever I play them, I can't help but feel that there are a number of more important activities that I could spend my time on.

If that's your worry, how are video games any different than any other hobby? Everyone needs some "me time" and there's nothing to feel guilty about by taking time for a hobby every once in a while.

If you are not doing something urgent/important because of a hobby or if your hobbies take a lot of space in your routine and leave little for your responsibilities, then it's a problem. But if you're playing and feeling that you could be spending your time on something more productive... well, I disagree with this. Relaxation and hobbies are also important, everyone needs to unwind lest they be crushed by routine.

Of course, you could always be reading a book, working an extra hour or studying instead of playing Fire Emblem or accessing this forums, but then from this logic every action that isn't productive is useless, and this obsession toward being productive is not something positive at all. We're not machines on an efficiency run.

if all you think about is fire emblem, that's a problem. however, i assume that's exaggeration.

you'll find that your priorities won't allow for you to play vidya as much, but it's completely ok to play them every once in a while.

this is so hard to read

can't help you there

I am not going into detail of my personal life, but I am going to 1.start college soon and move onto a point of my life where I really need to think seriously about what kind of person I will become. With things like school and work going on, do you guys here think it is ideal to 2.quit video games? Very recently I spent a large portion of my time playing FE; consequently all I think and daydream about is playing FE. I fear that this will negatively impact my life one way or another. 3.Are video games really a waste of one's time, or is it a pastime that, like watching movies and other leisurely activities, should be done in moderation?

You determine what you want to keep in and out of your life in the end. I personally know that I am going to have to let go of video games when I hit a similar position like you, cause I don't want my life to be centered around a screen and a controller. 1. Video games has always been a means of entertainment and an escape from my current problems for me. It also has chipped some character in me so I can't say it has been a waste of time, cause a few games have implemented some deep ideologies that I follow (thank you Metal Gear Solid series). It really comes down if you can manage your time if you want to play video games when your semester starts.

2. I don't know much about you lol, but I can repeat that it comes down to your preference if you want video games to manifest in your schedule. Do you want to associate your life to video games (bigger picture)? In my opinion video games distract the hell out of me so I know that I am going to quit.

3. Don't make it an addiction. Those are two different things, one can get out of hand and mess up your plans, but if you manage your hobby well enough you can enjoy it considerately with less stress from the outside world.

There have been times I've had to take breaks from games but I wouldn't quit em all together. Do you have more important stuff to take care of? Sure thing. But hey look at it this way its that much more fun when you get to play the games. I recently started a new job nothing too straining but it is 40 hour a week 9-5 type thing and yeah you gotta moderate it. Doesn't mean I'm not free in my afternoons and weekends though.

I think you should take this time to balance your schedule. Life is not all about responsibilities, work, studies, etc., but neither it is all about social media, entertainment and games. You just need to bring up balance to your schedule but always respecting priorities. If you have to do some stuff at college or work then do it and then leave time for you and video games for later.

For example, I work, study and play every day, it's just about finding a safe equilibrium between all of your activities, sometimes I have more work and study and have no time for games, but at others I have plenty of time for myself and feel I'm a scrub playing all day, so don't panic. Personally, I find video games as a therapy to relax myself and find entertainment and fun in them and apply them to my daily life, I always play before going to sleep for example.

Edited by Quintessence

Personally, I find video games as a therapy to relax myself and find entertainment and fun in them and apply them to my daily life, I always play before going to sleep for example.

Funny you bring that up I find myself doing that more often now in days too.

Edited by LordTaco42

Here's the thing, I am not in college yet. I am currebtly in this vacation, allowing me to have surplus amount of free time. Though, this will not be the case within a year.

Enjoy it while it lasts don't dwell on not having as much time in the future trust me that doesn't help anything. Especially if you're just going into college sure you'll have to study and all but I guarantee you'll have time for it. If nothing else you'll probably find other people who like games as well maybe the same ones you do.

Here's the thing, I am not in college yet. I am currebtly in this vacation, allowing me to have surplus amount of free time. Though, this will not be the case within a year.

I can't tell you to spend your whole entire vacation to play video games, that would be a waste of time. It's your free time, spend time with friends and family, learn new hobbies, watch TV, sleep, play video games, the sky is the limit.

I can't tell you to spend your whole entire vacation to play video games, that would be a waste of time. It's your free time, spend time with friends and family, learn new hobbies, watch TV, sleep, play video games, the sky is the limit.

Netflix, spending time with pets, family, sleeping, studying. Not video games 24/7.

I played a lot of video games in college, made it into a social thing too where my friends and I would watch each other play and shit like that. Also played plenty of smash. I didn't go overboard, still did it in moderation, but I did really well in undergrad and I'm almost done with my second year of graduate school so you don't need to quit video games.

It's often overstated how difficult college is in comparison to high school. It's just a very different environment and you actually need to do work to succeed instead of doing almost nothing. A lot of reports of having shitloads of work to do are from people who only remember the times where they procrastinated and crammed, although you will have a semester or two where you are barely getting sleep because you have so much shit to do and even without procrastination your life will suck. I still remember finding time to randomly play a bunch of FE games the whole way through though lol

tl;dr time management boss

Edited by Lord Raven

you'll probably be so drowned by university work that you'll barely have time for videogames anyway so just relish the time you do get to play them

Hell yes! Video games take up way too much time!! Though it's what I love so I can never apply that to myself, yet I know what I could have done if video games didn't snare me in. But anyway certain points in your life will make you quit by default anyway. Myself, I now have a wife and 2 kids. Love em to bits... Besides the odd 3DS games... I have not really played video games for about 7 years.