Do you think quitting video games is a smart move?

Zerxen

I am not going into detail of my personal life, but I am going to start college soon and move onto a point of my life where I really need to think seriously about what kind of person I will become. With things like school and work going on, do you guys here think it is ideal to quit video games? Very recently I spent a large portion of my time playing FE; consequently all I think and daydream about is playing FE. I fear that this will negatively impact my life one way or another. Are video games really a waste of one's time, or is it a pastime that, like watching movies and other leisurely activities, should be done in moderation?

I still played video games when I was in University, however it's entirely up to you. I would try and work on your self control by knowing when or not to play video games at situations such as near deadlines etc. They can help you reduce stress in some way, however, self control is what really matters.

I totally agree with the idea of focusing more on what person you will be. I'm not saying "You need to grow up, stop playing video games", just buy a few new releases each year and play a level or 2 a day while maintaining your life goals.

Edited by Kevlar

General advise for college

don't go in saying "I want to do this for the rest of my life"

for your freshman year just go undecided and think about picking your major

don't end up like me 4 semesters in with almost enough credits to get two liberal arts degrees

anyways about games

like every one here go with moderation

like just play when you have nothing else to do

or maybe join a video game club if your campus has one

also don't be a procrastinator like me

while I'm typing this I have a paper due at midnight today

just play casually

I don't think you should drop it altogether, as it really doesn't make sense-- plus, like most things, if you drop it cold turkey, you'll come back to it later full force if you indulge on your previous behaviors. Instead, I'd just branch out on things you do instead. Instead of playing video games, or Fire Emblem in this case, why not go on a jog? Or draw your favorite characters (thus acquiring a different hobby outside of video games)?

I don't think that video games are a waste of time-- they are yet another method of relieving stress. It's when you start ignoring your other responsibilities that this becomes a problem.

From the viewpoint of a working, 12'th grade High Schooler, don't drop it entirely.

(Until I graduate High School, which isn't too far off thankfully...)I'm in school during the week and I work at a Grocery store on the weekends(the busiest times) and sometimes after school, so if I have homework, that's more work needed to be done. I don't have as much time to play video games as much as I use to, but when I have the time, I play them. If I'm not hanging out/having one of my long conversations I like having with my Mom(because every now and then we talk a lot about random things), reading a book(if I ever find one that interests me, I'm kinda picky with Books...), or watching something online(whether it be Youtube or Anime...although I'm picky with Anime), I'm playing video games. I like using it as a balance to my life. Work and play go hand-and-hand. Too much of one makes it harder for me, so I try to make sure I have time for it(even if I love games, I need some work to balance it out or I get burnt out after a while). Especially games like Fire Emblem, where I can use my brain a lot to keep it working properly and not let it go to waste(I'm gonna need it the older I get, so I gotta keep it's gears running).

Now, I can't speak or advise for WAY into the future(like once you've finished college, established what you want to do for the rest of your life, or have your own family because that's way out of my jurisdiction and a lot can change in that time), but for college, play it when you have the free time. You've got to have fun when you can(just make sure you control when and how much)!

Either way, it all relies on what you feel needs to be done. However, if you really enjoy playing Video Games, play it when you are able to(and when you don't have many other opinions you feel like doing at the time.)!

If you need to do it, you need to do it. Some people have good self-control, but maybe you don't, and if that's the case you'd better take all the measures you can to get away from bad temptations. If you have a big entertainment/home theater setup with consoles in your home, try putting that into storage for a while. Trade out your custom-built desktop for a new laptop. Life's opportunities fade fast and are hard to come by. You can always come back to gaming later.