Fire Emblem IV: Inheritors of the Crusade (v0.1.3 released)

SquareRootOfPi

Download v0.1.3 here!

Dropbox mirror link

If you've patched 0.1.2 and want to apply the patch directly, you can use this.
Note: There is only a patch from 0.1.2 to 0.1.3. You cannot patch earlier versions to 0.1.2.

Fire Emblem IV: Inheritors of the Crusade is a GBA Hack of Fire Emblem 7 (US) remaking the classic game Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War. It aims to be a new take on an old classic, changing features from the original as necessary, yet trying to stay faithful to the source material. Version 0.1 contains 10 chapters of content (of varying quality), with lots of features to help (or challenge???) budding tacticians.

Note that the chapters are sectioned differently from the original game; If you've played Fire Emblem 4 before then the content of this release covers everything up to about two-thirds through Chapter 3. (This is roughly 25% of the game if you haven't played it before.)

The patch can be applied using NUPS or Tsukiyomi. If you use a Mac, you can also try Multipatch. Apply the patch to a clean ROM of Fire Emblem 7 US edition.

Important note about Emulator choice
Apparently, no$gba has a unique bug with this ROM. (scroll down this page for more details.) If you choose to use no$gba, please be aware of this.

chvNrE3.png

Older versions

• Version 0.1.3 bugfix and content update. This fixes several minor bugs and tweaks the balance of Eve, Lachesis, Jamka and Edain. It also adds a new skill, Biorhythm, for Eve.
  • Version 0.1.2 bugfix. This fixes two major bugs: Arden breaking the arena, and the Knight Sword not being properly locked to Sigurd. It also does some minor text bugfixes.
  • Version 0.1.1 bugfix. This fixes an important bug regard Ointments (they will destroy other items in your inventory when they run out of uses.)
  • Version 0.1 April 2016 release. Note that this patch contains a serious bug with Ointments. Use the 0.1.1 release instead.
  • Version 0.a April 2014 release. This is a fully playable single chapter joke release.

Features

• 24 playable characters!
  • A skill system with 20 different skills to try out!
  • Over a dozen new items with unique effects!
  • Familiar music from Fire Emblem 4, adapted for the GBA, and music from other sources!
  • HP bar display on the minimap, as well as additional flashing tips!

Credits

Serenes Forest:
Fire Emblem 4 Resources, including a reference translation and world map.

The Fire Emblem Hacking community for the following resources:
Antihuffman code
Fire Emblem Nightmare Modules
GBA Graphics Viewer
Tiled Map Inserter

The following playtesters:
Xenesis Xenon
DisgruntledFerret
Blastinus
Artix
Onmi

Music:
Fire Emblem 4 Sountrack
Getsufuu Maden

Notes

There are a few cosmetic bugs still present in this release. I aim to fix them in a bugfix 0.1.1 release at some point. Feel free to point them out to remind me of them if you wish.

If you find any gamebreaking bugs, do post about it as soon as possible so I can issue a bigfix patch.

Additional Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Arden/Eve/Other unit doesn't have animations for some weapons. What's going on?
A: I haven't made new animations for their new weapons yet, so I've just made it default to the map animation for now. When the animations are made, I'll insert them in a future update patch!

Q: Why are the stats in the r-button menu different colours?
A: The colours give a rough indicator of the unit's growth rates in that stat. There are 4 possible colours: Dark Grey means the growth is between 0-20%, Light Grey means the growth is between 21-35%, White means the growth is between 36-50% and Green means the growth is over 50%.

Note that the HP stat does not have this indicator.

Q: I let a unit die and they came back the next chapter. Does this hack have a Casual Mode?
Q: Why is Noish/Lex/Azel/Jamka/Holyn a zombie?

A: This hack has a feature that's similar to Casual Mode with minor differences. Although units will come back after dying, they will have generic growths instead of their usual growths (and in future versions they won't be eligible for inheritance.) The zombie portraits are leftovers from the Halloween update video I made, which can be found on the Youtube channel. You can find a link to the channel below.

Note that not all units will return after dying. The units that stay dead are Diadora, Cuan, Ethlin, Fin, Eve, Sylvia and Fury.

Q: How does the Golden Axe work?
A: Its might increases by 1 for every 500 gold you have, capping at 4000 gold (so up to +8 might.) This change is only reflected in the battle previews.

Q: What's the critical bonus from Daredevil?
A: Daredevil will give +1 crit to the user for every 4 hit from the enemy, so for example 56 Hit will give +14 crit. This bonus caps at 100 hit, which is the maximum displayed hit. Enemies that can't attack have 0 hit.

Q: When do you get the extra attacks from Astra?
A: Astra gives an extra attack when you have 6, 8 and 10 more AS than the enemy for a total of 5 attacks when you include the extra attack from doubling at 4 AS.

History and Media
First thread
Youtube channel
Playtest of 3-1 to 3-3 by Blastinus and Onmi
Let's Play by MageKnight404

Let's Play by Alisa Reinford

Edited by SquareRootOfPi

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And within a few turns my Noish dies to a 22%. I shouldn't have expected anything less.

Welp, will still be playing a lot of this!

f6716a44bd.png

Canto for Midale on that village in Ch1-1 displays the pathfinding for the entire map. She can only move her normal movement, but moving the cursor beyond the customary 11 tiles crashes the game.

Edit: It's somehow broken the pathfinding display for all of my units now, and it's saved to the save file. Was fixed by restarting the chapter. Save with bug active - no$gba format.

Edit 2: Seems it can be triggered from the other village as well. Doesn't require Canto, just visiting one of the villages will trigger it.

Edited by Xenesis

f6716a44bd.png

Canto for Midale on that village in Ch1-1 displays the pathfinding for the entire map. She can only move her normal movement, but moving the cursor beyond the customary 11 tiles crashes the game.

Edit: It's somehow broken the pathfinding display for all of my units now, and it's saved to the save file. Was fixed by restarting the chapter. Save with bug active - no$gba format.

Edit 2: Seems it can be triggered from the other village as well. Doesn't require Canto, just visiting one of the villages will trigger it.

Amazing.

*claps slowly* Well done... My jaw is still on the floor.

And within a few turns my Noish dies to a 22%. I shouldn't have expected anything less.

Welp, will still be playing a lot of this!

So I'm not the only one! For me, Noish died 3 times from no more than 50%. For some reason, he's RNG cursed.

Two bugfix patches coming in piping hot!

If you've got a patched rom and you want to apply the fix, use this patch: http://www.mediafire.com/download/219oto16gon4zyo/feiv0.1-0.1.1.ups

If you want to patch on a clean rom, or haven't patched a rom yet, use this patch: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2jb2iapt02xdi5t/feiv0.1.1.ups

The first post will be updated with the latest patch as well. Note that you should restart if you had the ointment glitch occur to you, this patch will not restore your lost items.

Edit: Hot tips for Noish and dodging in general: Do not expect anything above 40% hit rate to be safe. Noish is not the dodge build cavalier (Hint: it's the one whose skill gives him avoid) and is actually fairly fragile.

Edited by SquareRootOfPi

If you want to patch on a clean rom, or haven't patched a rom yet, use this patch: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2jb2iapt02xdi5t/feiv0.1.1.ups

Got a message "Patch is corrupt".

The older version could be patched though.

Edit: Fixing the patch worked.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

0.1.1 on a clean rom worked for me

pedantics re intro cutscenes:

Jungby's glowing blue dot is one pixel farther to the left than other countries' dots are; or my vision isn't as good as it was

Though Oifaye's name is taken from the tactician data, Alec calls Oifaye male ["Takes right after that famous grandfather of his"] even when you set tactician data as female

The tactician input says "you are a tactician travelling across elibe".