Fire Emblem IV: Inheritors of the Crusade (v0.1.3 released)

SquareRootOfPi

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of, do you have any interesting events or somesuch planned for ol' Kruge? He's not a bad unit by any stretch, but I don't quite see many people giving up the classic Hol for him as it stands now.

I have an interesting story planned for him. There might be some hints as to his past in v0.1.4 or v0.1.5 whenever I get to working on those.

[spoiler=Question about 3-2]No reinforcements spawn if you kill Eltshan. Is this an intentional reward for killing a hard boss? Because I can skip out on fighting the Thracian Knights since the castle is unguarded. Also he's got a boss battle theme.

Let's call that a feature of the 0.1 release... It'll be a nice reward for people who actually try that challenge, I guess! I'll leave it in in future bugfixes but I'll make sure to properly fix it whenever 0.2 gets released.

I have been meaning to ask for basically a favor or maybe just a reccomendation. If possible could you make it So Altenna dual wields the Gungnir and Gae Bolg for the final part? Kinda like how One should've at the end of Radiant Dawn I feel Altenna definitely would've dual wielded the two. Heck I would make the custom animation for ya if you would do it So we can have the thing that kinda should've happened in fe 4. Thank you for the reccomendation, Joker

I doubt she will specifically be able to use both but I might do something with her. The second generation still has a long way to go though so I can't make any promises yet!

Altena only has Noba blood. She can only use the Gaebolg. I doubt Pi will mess up the entire settings just to make her badass. Besides, why we just Altena? Y want fucking Arion in MY party Also, great hack Pi: I'm in love with it, keep the good work!!!

Glad to hear you're enjoying the hack!

The Light Brand doesn't seem to account for any bonuses for the attack calculation.

Here's Ethlyn.

isngRWO.png

Here's an enemy Pirate.

KrzbUcM.png

11 Mag + 9 Mt - 1 Res = 19 Attack. Which is correct.

pLjVTTi.png

Gave Ethlyn the magic ring.

BxsmRdS.png

Attacking the same pirate should yield:

11 Mag + 3 from Magic ring + 9 Mt - 1 Res = 22 Attack

Vuv61vY.png

But it ends up being the same damage without the magic ring.

At melee the Light Brand's damage calculation is (Str + Mag) / 2 - Enemy Res. So I just used someone with higher res to initiate a fight to get him to switch to the steel sword.

Good catch! I forgot to add the magic bonus check there... The light brand is supposed to use the physical formula at melee though, I'll have to fix that! I'm impressed you went out of the way to get that Light brand, haha.

I heard this is dead, but it doesn't seem that way. Can I get a confirmation of living-ness?

There won't be any news update other than potential bugfix releases until around fall. I'm currently busy doing a bunch of work for Maiden of Darkness, an FE6 hack. Check it out when it gets released, it will be using a few mechanics from this hack! Edited by SquareRootOfPi

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I ended up playing through twice so I could get a feel for the entire roster. Obviously there's some overlap between the two playthroughs.

Spoiler

mIh7sVN.png

Sigurd is Sigurd. You heard enough about him.

KPXCkGu.png

Pursuit makes him a monster during player phase. Nothing lives if he initiates the fight.

P5EYu6j.png

Such a strong early game, though his skill couldn't keep up with the enemies evasion which meant he stuck with the Iron/Gold axe. Which is sad because I stole the killer axe just for him.

yEYYumo.png

Love the fire magic niche. It's always nice to have an option for a guaranteed hit.

1raqU77.png

Astra is great. Whoever she fought died.

OZ74POy.png

Fin had some issues with his strength around chapter 2 but the Silver lance patched that up nicely.

EJcocDP.png

You made Arden good. Toughness is a phenomenal skill.

q6BJZlH.png

She was getting doubled a lot since she only hit 10 speed at level 18. But she's a healbot and a great mage-killer. Love Royal Veil. Tops off Lex and Arden for their personals. I actually thought her having access to the thief sword was a nod to Dew giving it to her in the original so she stole things for a while.

sfu1m7r.png

Luna + Armourslayer is so good for boss killing.

f5kDfaX.png

Gave him the Ares cuff, magic ring and an Elwind tome and he killed things left and right.

JB3WuVs.png

Strong early game with the lady sword and then killing everyone else once I got the light brand. It was majestic.

TtuhzyL.png

She's a fantastic flyer. She would occasionally take the light brand to kill things too.

hIAqm9t.png

Cuan would come in if there was a deployment slot. He held his own during 3-3 one-shotting mages.

Wy9Mrn9.png

Same thing with Jamka. Bloodthirst is a nice damage boost for him.

Spoiler

g5NzgmQ.png

This Sigurd was beefier than the other but didn't hit as hard.

Pj77EYN.png

Alec had issues early on since he wouldn't get strength for the longest time. Once he could double he ended up better. Thought about giving him the light brand since he got three magic levels.

6AT1Uth.png

This Lex decided to get skill and destroy.

8JP6FhV.png

My Midale got strength blessed. Oh god it was disgusting when he could kill something twice.

OM7ZRhx.png

Edain is a staffbot that doesn't die.

iiQXClU.png

Stole stuff. Killed things with the killing edge. Even with low strength he's pretty good.

TQwAF60.png

Hitting res was really nice. Also gave her the Lady sword since I wasn't using Ethlyn and it worked out pretty well. Gave her the defense ring to help her not die by physicals.

XJHwsGv.png

I like Holyn a lot but man. Kruge is disgusting. He one-rounded everything he saw. His personal only activated once but I don't think he needed it.

QSrjHMs.png

I really like sword dance. It's really satisfying when you get to refresh 3(4 with the light brand) units with it.

Bx53NKL.png

At first I was sad that Beo didn't have a personal. But he ended up being awesome anyway. He's like Sword Lex with skill and less overkill. I stole the Lancereaver for him as well and that helped his enemy phase.

uFCPKf0.png

Did the same thing in my first playthrough but without the magic ring. Still fucked things up.

QPdi3q7.png

She was kind of filler staffbot/Royal Veil bot.

qsDdI0z.png

He got 2 Res levels. What is this madness.

hU9rbB7.png

Azel ended up being filler this playthrough.

Sxbjyp1.png

Fury as well.

ZKyCldO.png

I also used Diadora for the entirety of chapter 2. She wasn't as much of a magic nuke as I wanted her to be, but at least she could heal.

Edited by Guy in a Chair Man

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm almost done with the release. I'm on Chapter 3-3, and I think that it's the last chapter, but I'll probably wait a little bit until I finish that chapter, since it looks like it'll be a long one.

I've really enjoyed this fan game. I've always found Fire Emblem 4 interesting, but the mechanics always made it difficult for me to get into it, because I started with the GBA titles fairly recently. So being able to experience one of the better Fire Emblems story-wise and character-wise, while still being on a gameplay system that I'm used to, is great.

I also think it's cool that you included extra characters who weren't in the original game, like Kruge, and I'm definitely curious to see how his story plays out.

Also the skills are really great, and they really add a lot of depth for the characters. And they make it even more difficult to choose one character over another, because a lot of them have interesting and useful skills.

Something that I was curious of, was how in Fire Emblem 4 you could field your entire army at once. Can that not be done on this version because of engine limitations, or is it because of the way you designed and split up the chapters? To be fair, I barely got far in the Prologue in the original, so I don't know how the army fielding actually looks like, only what I read online.

So I'm (patiently) looking forward to the next release!

• 1 month later...

Hello, everyone. It's been over four months since I checked in... Dang... Where has the time gone... Normally, I would have a special update video ready to show off new things I've added to FEIV, but if you've read my previous post you'll know that I've been busy with non-FEIV things, mainly providing ASM work for Maiden of Darkness. The good news is that all this time spent on Maiden of Darkness will be helpful for FEIV, as I've learned a lot of new tricks! (Expect a few to show up next year...?) A good chunk of the ASM work for Maiden of Darkness is done too (look forward to a Str/Mag split, Fates mechanics, personal skills, and much more!!!), so I expect to resume working on FEIV again by the end of the year. (I've also been slowly polishing up various portraits...)

Although I haven't done actual hacking, I *have* been planning a lot for the near future and written down quite a few changes that will be appearing in the next bugfix release (expect this next April!) alongside the actual bugfixes. Since most of these don't require too much work, I can outline a few of these updates:

• Buffs for Sigurd! Probably the most important update...
  • Slightly related to the above, a small selection of supports!
  • Also related to the above, some new items to play with...
  • Based on all the feedback I've seen so far, some rebalancing of the experience curve. Player units are too strong compared to their enemy counterparts...
  • Rebalancing a few chapters. Chapter 3-3 obviously needs polish (both visually and gameplaywise), and from what I've seen, 1-2 is rough in the back half. The experience fix might also mess up the balance of other chapters.
I will also be wrapping up a few of the ASM hacks used in FEIV for public release, hopefully before winter rolls in! Stay tuned...

So I ended up playing through twice so I could get a feel for the entire roster. Obviously there's some overlap between the two playthroughs.

[spoiler=First Playthrough]

mIh7sVN.png

Sigurd is Sigurd. You heard enough about him.

KPXCkGu.png

Pursuit makes him a monster during player phase. Nothing lives if he initiates the fight.

P5EYu6j.png

Such a strong early game, though his skill couldn't keep up with the enemies evasion which meant he stuck with the Iron/Gold axe. Which is sad because I stole the killer axe just for him.

yEYYumo.png

Love the fire magic niche. It's always nice to have an option for a guaranteed hit.

1raqU77.png

Astra is great. Whoever she fought died.

OZ74POy.png

Fin had some issues with his strength around chapter 2 but the Silver lance patched that up nicely.

EJcocDP.png

You made Arden good. Toughness is a phenomenal skill.

q6BJZlH.png

She was getting doubled a lot since she only hit 10 speed at level 18. But she's a healbot and a great mage-killer. Love Royal Veil. Tops off Lex and Arden for their personals. I actually thought her having access to the thief sword was a nod to Dew giving it to her in the original so she stole things for a while.

sfu1m7r.png

Luna + Armourslayer is so good for boss killing.

f5kDfaX.png

Gave him the Ares cuff, magic ring and an Elwind tome and he killed things left and right.

JB3WuVs.png

Strong early game with the lady sword and then killing everyone else once I got the light brand. It was majestic.

TtuhzyL.png

She's a fantastic flyer. She would occasionally take the light brand to kill things too.

hIAqm9t.png

Cuan would come in if there was a deployment slot. He held his own during 3-3 one-shotting mages.

Wy9Mrn9.png

Same thing with Jamka. Bloodthirst is a nice damage boost for him.

[spoiler=Second Playthrough]

g5NzgmQ.png

This Sigurd was beefier than the other but didn't hit as hard.

Pj77EYN.png

Alec had issues early on since he wouldn't get strength for the longest time. Once he could double he ended up better. Thought about giving him the light brand since he got three magic levels.

6AT1Uth.png

This Lex decided to get skill and destroy.

8JP6FhV.png

My Midale got strength blessed. Oh god it was disgusting when he could kill something twice.

OM7ZRhx.png

Edain is a staffbot that doesn't die.

iiQXClU.png

Stole stuff. Killed things with the killing edge. Even with low strength he's pretty good.

TQwAF60.png

Hitting res was really nice. Also gave her the Lady sword since I wasn't using Ethlyn and it worked out pretty well. Gave her the defense ring to help her not die by physicals.

XJHwsGv.png

I like Holyn a lot but man. Kruge is disgusting. He one-rounded everything he saw. His personal only activated once but I don't think he needed it.

QSrjHMs.png

I really like sword dance. It's really satisfying when you get to refresh 3(4 with the light brand) units with it.

Bx53NKL.png

At first I was sad that Beo didn't have a personal. But he ended up being awesome anyway. He's like Sword Lex with skill and less overkill. I stole the Lancereaver for him as well and that helped his enemy phase.

uFCPKf0.png

Did the same thing in my first playthrough but without the magic ring. Still fucked things up.

QPdi3q7.png

She was kind of filler staffbot/Royal Veil bot.

qsDdI0z.png

He got 2 Res levels. What is this madness.

hU9rbB7.png

Azel ended up being filler this playthrough.

Sxbjyp1.png

Fury as well.

ZKyCldO.png

I also used Diadora for the entirety of chapter 2. She wasn't as much of a magic nuke as I wanted her to be, but at least she could heal.

Nice! I'm glad to see you enjoyed the hack enough to play it multiple times!

Just wanted to say that this game is absolutely fantastic. Looking forward to the next release -- keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words, good to hear you like it!

So I mean I'm watching this game now, haven't tried it gonna wait till completion it looks really promising.

I would personally recommend at least playing the 0.2 release (once I actually release it), which is planned to be the complete first generation of the original game. FE4's original design makes it play out like two normal length Fire Emblem games, both length-wise (there is a lot of content to cover for the first generation), and cast-wise.

I'm almost done with the release. I'm on Chapter 3-3, and I think that it's the last chapter, but I'll probably wait a little bit until I finish that chapter, since it looks like it'll be a long one.

I've really enjoyed this fan game. I've always found Fire Emblem 4 interesting, but the mechanics always made it difficult for me to get into it, because I started with the GBA titles fairly recently. So being able to experience one of the better Fire Emblems story-wise and character-wise, while still being on a gameplay system that I'm used to, is great.

I also think it's cool that you included extra characters who weren't in the original game, like Kruge, and I'm definitely curious to see how his story plays out.

Also the skills are really great, and they really add a lot of depth for the characters. And they make it even more difficult to choose one character over another, because a lot of them have interesting and useful skills.

Something that I was curious of, was how in Fire Emblem 4 you could field your entire army at once. Can that not be done on this version because of engine limitations, or is it because of the way you designed and split up the chapters? To be fair, I barely got far in the Prologue in the original, so I don't know how the army fielding actually looks like, only what I read online.

So I'm (patiently) looking forward to the next release!

I'll admit, Chapter 3-3 is much less polished than the rest in this release (hopefully I'll be able to update it for next April) and is very enemy dense, especially near the end. In any case, I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying all the touches I've given the playable characters.

Regarding the limited deployment slot, I added that in partly because of the split maps, but I would probably keep it even if I did large maps. Having a lot of units for the player to use creates a lot of issues, such as power creep: you need to deploy more/stronger enemies to keep up with the growing player army which can spiral out of control. Having every unit deployed also forces the player to make more decisions. For example, if you have 20 units deployed and a player spends even 1.5 minutes per unit, a real possibility if they're in a challenging situation, then that's 30 minutes spent per player turn. Given that a typical map can take between 5-15 turns casually (ideally hovering around 9-12), that's between 2 and 7 hours spent on a single chapter! And this doesn't take into account resets.

Okay, I need to get something off my chest: Why is Ayra's battle sprite wearing white? I'm 1000% certain that she wears purple unpromoted. It kinda bothers me a bit. :/:

Other than that...well, Chapter 1-2 could use some switching around of the item drops...I also wonder when the portraits will be completed, but still, you're doing God's work here. I look forward to this hack.

• 2 weeks later...

i think you should re-color Sigurd map sprite you know, the hair to blue. And will you use the "fan" translation or the "official" translation for future updates? like Celice = Seliph, something like that. Just asking

Posted · Hidden by Balcerzak, November 26, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by Balcerzak, November 26, 2016 - No reason given

i think you should re-color Sigurd map sprite you know, the hair to blue. And will you use the "fan" translation or the "official" translation for future updates? like Celice = Seliph, something like that. Just asking

• 2 weeks later...

I'll admit, Chapter 3-3 is much less polished than the rest in this release (hopefully I'll be able to update it for next April) and is very enemy dense, especially near the end. In any case, I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying all the touches I've given the playable characters.

Regarding the limited deployment slot, I added that in partly because of the split maps, but I would probably keep it even if I did large maps. Having a lot of units for the player to use creates a lot of issues, such as power creep: you need to deploy more/stronger enemies to keep up with the growing player army which can spiral out of control. Having every unit deployed also forces the player to make more decisions. For example, if you have 20 units deployed and a player spends even 1.5 minutes per unit, a real possibility if they're in a challenging situation, then that's 30 minutes spent per player turn. Given that a typical map can take between 5-15 turns casually (ideally hovering around 9-12), that's between 2 and 7 hours spent on a single chapter! And this doesn't take into account resets.

Thanks for the reply! I understand a lot better why you made the deployment sizes smaller, now that I've actually played up until Chapter 9 of FEIV. But because of that, I came up with another question if you wouldn't mind answering about pre-promotes in this version.

In FEIV, all characters gained roughly the same amounts of exp, so a level 1 Sigurd or Quan would grow at the same pace as some of the other non-promotes, like Azel and Lex. (as a side note, I REALLY liked Lex's current sprite. It really fits him!) Will you do something so you won't feel like you're sapping exp if you use guys like Sigurd and Quan to kill enemies? And will you make changes to the promotion system so it is more like FEIV's system was, or modify it so it's more like the GBA's system?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Pi, did you forget what day it is? 4/1, brotha. I'm legit sad that we didn't get our annual April Fools update. They're always great.

Hope all is well! Looking forward to seeing the next update, whenever it materializes from the abyss.