Fire Emblem IV: Inheritors of the Crusade (v0.1.3 released)

SquareRootOfPi

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this show up and I really like the idea of it. If you don't mind I'd like to make one suggestion (once ou get far enough in it), I'd suggest adding more amounts of interesting dialogue for the characters.

I get if you creators want to stick very close to the original game, but as someone who played FE4, I thought the amount of dialogue left a lot to be desired. It certainly isn't bad but it felt very obvious that it was their first attempt and were a bit limited. So if you guys have any ideas for adding more dialogue and character building, I say go for it.

Hello, readers, and apologies for the lack of annual April updates. I was originally planning on releasing the 0.1.4 bugfix patch today, but there were too many features I wanted to add that I didn't have time to finish due to real life. Instead, I'll give a short update on the current progress.

First, thanks to MageKnight404's LP of the hack, I've found and fixed several outstanding bugs and typos. There were a lot of little things to catch, and his playthrough was very thorough! I still need to go back and finish watching it.

On the graphical front, I've cleaned up Chapter 3-3's map. I still need to work on a new palette for it, but for now here are some screenshots of how it looks now:

sguSLZr.pnghFMgl3j.png

Finally, I've started working on adding some supports to the hack. This is mainly for Sigurd's benefit, as supports will be giving experience and stat bonuses as rewards (along with some other goodies.) The challenge, of course, is writing something interesting for Sigurd and his pals...

In any case, my time should be freeing up in the coming weeks so hopefully I can wrap up 0.1.4 and get started on actual, new content! I've spent quite some time thinking about how to develop Chapter 4, and I'm excited to actually write progress updates for it when I get there. See you... next update!

On 2016-11-06 at 0:25 PM, FireIcarus said:

Okay, I need to get something off my chest: Why is Ayra's battle sprite wearing white? I'm 1000% certain that she wears purple unpromoted. It kinda bothers me a bit. :/:

Other than that...well, Chapter 1-2 could use some switching around of the item drops...I also wonder when the portraits will be completed, but still, you're doing God's work here. I look forward to this hack.

She has white armour on her torso (which is also present in her portrait) which is why I went with the white colouring. Myrmidons will be getting a new battle animation at... some point in the future anyway so it'll be more accurate there.

I'm not sure which item drops you're talking about, but I'll keep an eye out the next time I get around to playtesting (it might even be an intentional thing from an old design...) If you can be more specific about which item drops you're talking about too that would be helpful!

Portraits are basically updated as I have time. There are a lot of portraits to make!

On 2016-11-11 at 6:31 PM, captainfalcon111999 said:

This is simply the best thing ever.

Glad to see you like it!

On 2016-11-23 at 10:08 AM, Eruno said:

i think you should re-color Sigurd map sprite you know, the hair to blue. And will you use the "fan" translation or the "official" translation for future updates? like Celice = Seliph, something like that. Just asking

I'll keep the map sprite in mind. I haven't made any final decisions about the translation, but currently it's on a personal veto basis (i.e. which one sounds better to me.)

On 2016-12-06 at 10:50 PM, StoopKid241 said:

Thanks for the reply! I understand a lot better why you made the deployment sizes smaller, now that I've actually played up until Chapter 9 of FEIV. But because of that, I came up with another question if you wouldn't mind answering about pre-promotes in this version.

In FEIV, all characters gained roughly the same amounts of exp, so a level 1 Sigurd or Quan would grow at the same pace as some of the other non-promotes, like Azel and Lex. (as a side note, I REALLY liked Lex's current sprite. It really fits him!) Will you do something so you won't feel like you're sapping exp if you use guys like Sigurd and Quan to kill enemies? And will you make changes to the promotion system so it is more like FEIV's system was, or modify it so it's more like the GBA's system?

There are plans to redo the experience system so that you can't really "lose" experience from overusing characters like Sigurd and Cuan. Basically it'll be easier for units that are below the level curve to catch up. I've been drafting up the details of this and will be adding it in when I have the chance to get back to hacking.

Promotions will be more like the GBA's system, in the sense that promoting will reset your level to 1. There are plans to make it a bit more interesting though...!

On 2017-02-26 at 0:50 AM, jaydells3 said:

Hey! I just downloaded your patch and holy shit this is amazing! Just wondering if you plan on finishing the rest of Gen 1 because I would really like this patch to continue. Good work!

You're in luck! The 0.2 release will cover the remainder of Generation 1, and likely a bit of Generation 2 so that players can immediately see the impact of their choices. The current schedule is to push out 0.1.4, which will clean up the 0.1 release, and then work will begin towards completing version 0.2.0.

On 2017-02-28 at 6:34 AM, mikethepokemaster said:

I just downloaded the game it's great i never played the fe4 game... well I played the first chapter of it. Beside that it an great hack is there supports in this g=hack I know this game had the love system pretty much prototype support system. if so who can support who.

Supports have not been implemented yet, but as you mentioned they will be how the love system is implemented. In fact, I'm currently working on setting up the foundations for this for the 0.1.4 release. When a patch with supports is released, I will post the list of support options along with it.

On 2017-04-01 at 6:56 PM, Arch said:

Hey Pi, did you forget what day it is? 4/1, brotha. I'm legit sad that we didn't get our annual April Fools update. They're always great.

Hope all is well! Looking forward to seeing the next update, whenever it materializes from the abyss.

The deed is done...

On 2017-04-06 at 10:56 AM, Wildshot said:

Ah. They did in the original game, so I'd thought that they might here. Thanks.

Most of the conversations from the original game will be moved to supports, as supports will be filling in a similar role to them. The youtube channel has a video demonstrating this!

On 2017-04-06 at 10:12 PM, ShyRanger said:

I saw this show up and I really like the idea of it. If you don't mind I'd like to make one suggestion (once ou get far enough in it), I'd suggest adding more amounts of interesting dialogue for the characters.

I get if you creators want to stick very close to the original game, but as someone who played FE4, I thought the amount of dialogue left a lot to be desired. It certainly isn't bad but it felt very obvious that it was their first attempt and were a bit limited. So if you guys have any ideas for adding more dialogue and character building, I say go for it.

Haha, you should try the hack out yourself! The gameplay has been changed significantly enough that there has been some rewriting to accomodate some of the more drastic changes, and there is much more added compared to the original game. If you have any specific suggestions to improve the script, feel free to post them in this thread as well. Just keep in mind that while suggestions will be considered, I may choose not to follow them.

Edited by SquareRootOfPi

hi im so happy that u making a hack for one of my fav fire emblem games. i played the original one and beat it bout 6 times and was enjoyin it everytime im hopin u continue to making it to the end and good work i would give u a hug for doin this lol cause i love FE4

Pi, you live! It's April so I was figuring it'd be about that time for some potential news. Hopefully things go well and that update comes soon with good stuff! (and another opportunity to play of course!)

2 hours ago, Herk said:

What's with Sigurd getting 2 exp points every time

He's a promoted unit and goes off how experience works in FE7. Due to this, Pi said that he'll have supports that'll help buff Sigurd.

Hey, just curious, Pi... I was wondering if hacking enabled you to have certain NPCs appear on a map or certain events happen depending on what level support two characters reached with each other. (I was inspired by Azel's fate as told by Kaga and was curious about this...)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have a question. Due to having a bit of limited time, I decided to play this on my phone via the MyBoy emu. Everything works fine...except I can't save. Any ideas why that is?

If you don't, I'll just have to move over to a computer.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Dang, I've been away for longer than I thought. Progress is still basically non-existent and will continue being that way until near the end of the year, so in the meantime I put together a small video for the Halloween season. Enjoy!

Now, although I haven't done any hacking I have been doing some prep work for when I get back, which mainly involves working on the details for chapters 4 and 5 (and the leftover of chapter 3). Most of it is has been planned out and I've worked in some more detail than what was in the original game, so expect to see things get more interesting.

Also, although the video doesn't show off any new hacking progress, it does show off something I'll be adding to the second half of the first generation, which is having Oifaye and Shanan get older! I haven't actually checked the timeframes to see how much time actually passed, but entering Chapter 4 they will likely be getting older portraits. Dew will get one as well, and maybe Sylvia too.

Finally, I'll be aiming to push the 0.1.4 bugfix out for April 2018 (I will definitely not be able to push out 0.2), which will feature a bit of new content. For example, Chapter 3-3 *finally* has a proper map... There's also a few small things I tweaked and there may also be... a new playable character??? We'll see how the winter goes. Thanks for watching!

On 5/15/2017 at 7:59 PM, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Hey guys, I have a question. Due to having a bit of limited time, I decided to play this on my phone via the MyBoy emu. Everything works fine...except I can't save. Any ideas why that is?

If you don't, I'll just have to move over to a computer.

I'm not sure why saving wouldn't work, I don't remember making any significant changes to it. Unfortunately, I can't test it out myself so it'll remain unresolved for a while.

On 6/30/2017 at 10:37 PM, OrionGameWarrior said:

Where do Cuan, Ethlin, and fin didn't show up during the prolouge?

They show up in the next chapter. The prologue has enough units in it so I decided to delay their arrival since it doesn't affect the story.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great hack, i dont typically play hacks until they are finished, but i made an exception for this one. Way to go!! And i do hope you continue until the end, really looking forward to the full story and supports. Some of your custom mugs need work lol, but for the most part i enjoy the custom characters. Also, perhaps you could try out using team SALVAGE's cavalier? its just amazing.... ;)   

Thanks for all your hard work! 

Just finished what's done so far of this hack, here's my thoughts on it.

Starting with the gameplay changes from the original game...I have some issues. First off, the map size. Now, I understand it would be immensely hard to put FE4's gigantic maps into a hack of FE7. But, splitting the chapters like this is irksome to me, mostly for story reasons. The giant maps in the original, at least in my opinion, help world build, (Geography for example) and give the conflicts and battles more scale and depth. In some other cases, splitting them feels sort of awkward; like in the Prologue, fighting Dimaggio and Gerrard, then Gandolf in the next chapter takes some umph out of the fight. To sumerize, I understand why it had to be done, but I'm iffy nonetheless.

As for a collective gold supply...it feels weird when applied. 4 is built around choosing who to fight who so they will get the item drop or gold, to the point where theives actually have a purpose other then looting. Making it collective takes that whole layer out. To a lesser extent, this applies to the edition of trading as well. To add a nitpick, the removal of gradual village destruction is annoying. And for a really minor thing, I miss the whole castle guard mechanic.

There's also the portraits, which I find a mixed bag. Some are great like Alec and Noish, and some just flat out don't work, like Aideen and Kurth. The main issue I have with them is the shading and modelling is all over the place. Some portraits are done in the style of the typical GBA mugs, then others are done in this weird muted gold. A few even clip through, such as Byron. All of them share the distinction of being full body shots, which sometimes clashes with backgrounds.

The actual hacking itself is done pretty dang well on the technical side. Kudos to the remixes and custom sprites in particular.

Overall, I give this hack a 7/10.