Fire Emblem IV: Inheritors of the Crusade (v0.1.3 released)

SquareRootOfPi

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, ygolonac said:

Made an account just to say thanks and glad you haven't left the project. Best FE fangame i've played so far, this deserves much more attention.

Couldn't agree more. This hack is phenomenal, it's so much fun to play. Keep up the brilliant work !!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Scendscale said:

I cant play the game for some reason. Its telling me its not a valid game file. .___.

.ups files aren't the game proper. You need to patch an FE7 rom with the patch. There's a patching tutorial in the resources subforum.

8 hours ago, Scendscale said:

I cant play the game for some reason. Its telling me its not a valid game file. .___.

And to add to the above:

DON'T ASK US WHERE TO GET THE ROM.  FIND IT YOURSELF.

On 2/16/2018 at 5:12 PM, Darrman said:

.ups files aren't the game proper. You need to patch an FE7 rom with the patch. There's a patching tutorial in the resources subforum.

Oh alright. Where it this "subforum", I havent been here in a long while. 

Because if there's more information to help me out, i'd most likely need it. 

20 hours ago, eclipse said:

And to add to the above:

DON'T ASK US WHERE TO GET THE ROM.  FIND IT YOURSELF.

r_r

Should be ez to find around the internet..

its a GBA game after all.

Edited by Scendscale

2 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Was Pi ever able to keep Arenas from killing your guys if they lose a battle, or does it still work like normal Arenas?

According to MK404's playthrough, no he hasn't.

• 1 month later...

Since it's April 2nd, it's time for another biannual update! Unfortunately, my real life duties are still keeping me occupied for a little bit longer, so there isn't an official April update this year. Perhaps the lack of update... is the real April's Fool update.

On a more serious note, I do expect to start working on this again in the summer, so if I get enough progress by then, I'll have a summer update to make up for this missing update. I've penned down a lot of fun things to implement on my to-do list and my hacking fingers are itching to get working again. Thanks for reading and keeping up with the project!

On 11/15/2017 at 7:58 PM, Thorgrun said:

This is a great hack, i dont typically play hacks until they are finished, but i made an exception for this one. Way to go!! And i do hope you continue until the end, really looking forward to the full story and supports. Some of your custom mugs need work lol, but for the most part i enjoy the custom characters. Also, perhaps you could try out using team SALVAGE's cavalier? its just amazing.... ;)   

Thanks for all your hard work! 

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you enjoyed everything so far! Right now the plan for animations is to make them myself, depending on the progress as 0.2.0 gets done I'll use some pre-made ones. Despite the lack of progress the last two years I am still planning on finishing this up.

On 11/19/2017 at 1:23 PM, Radiant_Hero_95 said:

Just finished what's done so far of this hack, here's my thoughts on it.

Starting with the gameplay changes from the original game...I have some issues. First off, the map size. Now, I understand it would be immensely hard to put FE4's gigantic maps into a hack of FE7. But, splitting the chapters like this is irksome to me, mostly for story reasons. The giant maps in the original, at least in my opinion, help world build, (Geography for example) and give the conflicts and battles more scale and depth. In some other cases, splitting them feels sort of awkward; like in the Prologue, fighting Dimaggio and Gerrard, then Gandolf in the next chapter takes some umph out of the fight. To sumerize, I understand why it had to be done, but I'm iffy nonetheless.

As for a collective gold supply...it feels weird when applied. 4 is built around choosing who to fight who so they will get the item drop or gold, to the point where theives actually have a purpose other then looting. Making it collective takes that whole layer out. To a lesser extent, this applies to the edition of trading as well. To add a nitpick, the removal of gradual village destruction is annoying. And for a really minor thing, I miss the whole castle guard mechanic.

There's also the portraits, which I find a mixed bag. Some are great like Alec and Noish, and some just flat out don't work, like Aideen and Kurth. The main issue I have with them is the shading and modelling is all over the place. Some portraits are done in the style of the typical GBA mugs, then others are done in this weird muted gold. A few even clip through, such as Byron. All of them share the distinction of being full body shots, which sometimes clashes with backgrounds.

The actual hacking itself is done pretty dang well on the technical side. Kudos to the remixes and custom sprites in particular.

Overall, I give this hack a 7/10.

Thanks for the feedback, especially from the point of view of an FE4 veteran. You bring up a few good points regarding the original FE4 mechanics, so I'll respond to clarify my goals with the hack:

For the large maps, I want to emphasize that hacking in the original maps is not a big concern; the choice of dissecting the original chapters into smaller chapters is intentional and not due to hacking limitations. There are a lot of reasons for this, the most important one is allowing me to create non-outdoors chapters. One major limitation of the original FE4 game is the lack of indoors chapters due to several game mechanic choices (several missions on a single map, castle guarding, etc.) This also creates some limitations with designing some interesting gameplay; for example Chapter 3-1 is challenging to set up in a giant chapter setting. One other major issue that bothers me with the giant chapter structure is that they don't necessarily end at the right places. My hack ends in the middle of Chapter 3 because the battle with Shagall is the right capstone for the arc. The section in the original game after beating Shagall is more suitable as the start of the next arc, but it wouldn't be possible to pair it with Chapter 4 since it takes place on a different map.

Regarding individually managed gold, it makes more sense in a setting where each unit can reliably get gold (in FE4 this is village rescuing and the communal arena), but the problem with the arena is that you have no penalty for fighting in the arena so you're required to do a lot of legwork with no risks involved. I'm personally not convinced the system adds interesting depth to justify implementing it. Villages are also similar since you can usually wait to visit it with the desired unit. This is also why partial village destruction is gone, since its main purpose was to help individual gold reserves.

The castle guard mechanic only makes sense in a giant map setting, and even in that case it mostly serves as a "Gotcha" to the player since castle capture attempts in FE4 are predictable. The fact that FE4 has a designated castle guard isn't making it any more interesting either. It's not hard to design similar types of objectives (Chapter 3-1 is close in that regard) so it's possible to recreate the interesting parts.

Hopefully the explanations above will clarify to anyone else why I've decided to omit certain features from the original FE4. I'm glad you're enjoying this project despite these changes!

The portraits are in various states of completion so there's not much to be said there; until they get done you'll have to get used to them!

On 11/25/2017 at 5:24 AM, ygolonac said:

Made an account just to say thanks and glad you haven't left the project. Best FE fangame i've played so far, this deserves much more attention.

On 11/25/2017 at 6:52 PM, fOrEiGn sOUl said:

Couldn't agree more. This hack is phenomenal, it's so much fun to play. Keep up the brilliant work !!!

Glad to hear you both enjoyed it! I hope you'll still be around whenever the next update is released.

On 12/21/2017 at 4:30 PM, Paiphu said:

Yo Pi, I need that battle theme of the Eldigan fight. Even better are you planning to release the full remixed ost at some point?

It shouldn't be too much of an issue to make the music so it'll happen eventually. I am slightly surprised people have found Eltoshan's battle theme though, since I only gave it to him (the Cross Knights are also supposed to have it.) It's still a work in progress but I plan to upload a video of it to the project channel in the future.

On 2/6/2018 at 5:19 AM, MegaCharizardY72 said:

Is this still active?

It's active in the sense that I'm still working on it, although not as frequently as I'd like. I also don't check in very often, the only reliable times you'll see any updates are during April and October, so tune in around then!

On 2/17/2018 at 9:52 PM, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Was Pi ever able to keep Arenas from killing your guys if they lose a battle, or does it still work like normal Arenas?

In the current release units will die in the arena, but the next bugfix release will have non-lethal arenas.

On 4/1/2018 at 1:56 PM, Cirosan said:

Hopefully you're all still doing well. Count me among the chorus of voices cheering you on - keep on keepin' on, and if you have to take a break to avoid burn-out, don't hesitate.

Thanks for the support!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello everyone, it's the end of summer and time for a small update! This year has been keeping me occupied with a large number of projects so I have been light on the technical side. Instead, I've been working mainly on writing (working out the timeline for Chapter 4-x), balance (tweaking experience formulas and some more subtle issues), and graphics. There has been a lot of graphics work and I'd like to show some of them off, but I'll be saving them for the Halloween update as they are tied to more important changes. Today I'll be showing off some of the less important changes.

oSw92gs.png

First, we have four portraits. Only one of them is a character that hasn't had a portrait before (Byron, top right), and the other three are updates. First, Tiltyu has gotten a much needed cleanup compared to her old version:

uhLzahV.png

Finally, the last two portraits are older versions of Oifaye and Shanan. If you watched the last halloween video, the portraits used in there are based off this version, and they'll be appearing in the 4-x chapters.

Next, I've started working on updating the user interface to unify the style. This will be a long and slow process since there are a lot of UI elements to change, so I've started with the most impactful ones:

4oUndeL.pngGIeUnY7.png

Obviously, it's still a work in progress and the designs will likely change a bit, but it should give you a good idea of the art direction for future UI updates. (The non-white text in the battle frames is a side effect from testing.) Unlike the portraits, these *will* be polished up in time for the next release.

Finally, I've started sketching out the maps for the next few chapters. If you haven't noticed, the Agustria maps can be stitched together to form a seamless larger map (although a certain section will be empty) and I'll be using a similar process for Silesia, as seen here:

HVqC310.png

This is the combination of two chapters from the Silesia section; the midpoint is about where the maps would be divided.

Thanks for reading, and look forward to the next update which will cover some bigger gameplay changes!

On 6/27/2018 at 1:56 PM, simsims2822 said:

For some reason I can't download the patch from Mediafire, could anyone mirror it elsewhere?

I've added a Dropbox mirror below the Mediafire download link, give that a try.

On 8/31/2018 at 7:12 PM, Videogamer80 said:

This is a fantastic hack that I've been having so much fun playing, so I just want to say good job ^^

Glad you enjoyed it!

I almost forgot about this hack.
It's been like two years when I played an older version of it.
The the new stuff, chapter 4 and Taillte look really nice.

Kinda unfortunate that I can't play the newest update right now because of technical issues.
When I have a new PC, this hack will definitely have high priority in my to-do-list.

Oh, hey.

I don't really use this account, nor did I really ever in any meaningful way, but I'm still head-over-heels for this Hack and am ecstatic to see updates on it. Seriously, I pretty much only ever visit the forums to check on if any news has sprung up here, and it's nice to be pleasantly surprised!

Keep up the good work!

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm way late and this has probably long been abandoned, but I just wanna say thank you. I'm a massive FE4 fan and this is not only an amazing, high quality remake but it manages to refresh the game while still feeling faithful. I'm on chapter 2 now and genuinely enjoying everything. Thanks a bunch, OP. Really.