Character Handedness

Morgan

I'm sure a lot of the responses initially are going to be along the lines of "seriously why is this important?"

Well it's not. I just think it'd be cool and fun to analyze official art of characters to determine their Handedness. It'd have to go completely off official art due to every model in the game being right hand dominant for obvious reasons. Of course this limits the amount of characters able to be currently discussed due to only having a few official things to go off of.

Along with art, one could also use cutscenes as evidence as they are separately animated

(I may or may not need this for future reference too so XD ...)

Characters: (started with these since they have official art/cut scenes)

Male Corrin -

Female Corrin -

Azura - Cross-dominant (right for fighting, left for other needs such as holding or writing etc)

Ryoma - Right-handed

Xander - Right-handed

Hinoka -

Camilla -

Takumi - Right-handed (?)

Leo - Right-handed

Sakura -

Elise - Left-handed (?)

Felicia -

(?) - vague uncertainty

Edited by Morgan

I love this sort of stuff!

I know for a fact that Leo is right handed. He was shown writing in his valentine's artwork.

I think Elise could be a lefty. She holds her staff in her left in her artwork and in the opening cutscene in game.

Yeah looking at Azura/Aqua's official arts, she seems to consistently favor her left hand across pretty much every drawing if her

Also Leo and Elise, Elise does hold her staff in her left hand. It's also even more noticeable considering Sakura holds her staff with her right in the same cutscene.

I just looked at Kozaki's Twitter and found the Leo art for Valentine's day you mentioned and you're right(sorry XD), he's right handed.

Looking at some more cutscenes- Camilla holds out her left hand to you after she knocks you down. That's a very left handed thing to do. We never get a video of her fighting, so I have no idea what her handedness would be.

In Hinoka's right facing portrait, she's cracking her left knuckle. Also a lefty thing. But I'm not sure which is default.

Edit: in Camilla's OA she leans on her axe. If she were to pick it up, it looks like her left hand would be on top. Maybe Camilla is left handed?

Also that her left eye is covered up. Many left handed people's dominant eye is their right. Another character, Shigure also has one eye covered. It's his right. Shigure is known to be right handed.

Edited by wumples

Looking at some more cutscenes- Camilla holds out her left hand to you after she knocks you down. That's a very left handed thing to do. We never get a video of her fighting, so I have no idea what her handedness would be.

In Hinoka's right facing portrait, she's cracking her left knuckle. Also a lefty thing. But I'm not sure which is default.

As a right-handed person and habitual knuckle-cracker, I can assure you that I always crack my left knuckles first on instinct, so that would make her right-handed.

EDIT: I looked at her portrait and she's using her left-hand to crack her right knuckles, not the other way around when facing the right. However, in an official art, she's holding her Naginata in the right-handed way. She does this in a cutscenes as well.

[spoiler=Sources]

tumblr_static_8ejb0yowjvcwcgsow0sok08gs.

1049077df425b8c2d7d917ccd4bdb8f5.jpg

Edited by Phillius

are you sure for Azura that the rear hand isn't the dominant hand? for me, that's how I'd hold it. I assume you're trying to avoid in-game models and going only for official art and cutscenes? if not, her battle model end animation has her holding it right handed and she's the only possible Singer. in battle (granted, overhead stance), her left hand is still in front

Edited by GoXDS

Just thinking about something. I don't know much about lance wielding, but.. would holding a lance be like holding a pool stick? In which case the dominant hand is the one further back.

Just thinking about something. I don't know much about lance wielding, but.. would holding a lance be like holding a pool stick? In which case the dominant hand is the one further back.

No, it'd me more like using a rake or a shovel.

Takumi uses his bow the right-handed way in two cutscenes

[spoiler=Conquest Spoilers]

Bows are actually a bit trickier, IIRC. It's something about the dominant eye, as opposed to handedness. More info.

Whether or not Kozaki took this into account when drawing Takumi is unknown.

No, it'd me more like using a rake or a shovel.

All of the animations in this game are right handed, correct? (I'm not sure)

So spear masters hold their lances with their left hand in front. I asked somebody about it once, and they told me that when you wield a lance, you put your dominant hand closer to the back, because that's your main power source.

All of this is so confusing. Lances are stressful.

In the art book that came with my special edition, there's a drawing of Azura that has her hold the lance in her left hand. It's the full body art sketch that would later become her portrait. Granted you could say the portraits flip, but Kozaki did not have to draw her with it in her left hand there if he clearly originally drew it with her facing left and with it in her right hand

Take Shifure for example. Facing the same direction as Azura, he holds the lance in the opposite hand, his right. Look g at their portraits, no matter what, Shigure and Azura have opposite handedness

Bows are actually a bit trickier, IIRC. It's something about the dominant eye, as opposed to handedness. More info.

Whether or not Kozaki took this into account when drawing Takumi is unknown.

Still, according to that link, 70% of men will have an eye dominance that matches their handedness.

Edited by Phillius

In the art book that came with my special edition, there's a drawing of Azura that has her hold the lance in her left hand. It's the full body art sketch that would later become her portrait. Granted you could say the portraits flip, but Kozaki did not have to draw her with it in her left hand there if he clearly originally drew it with her facing left and with it in her right hand

Take Shifure for example. Facing the same direction as Azura, he holds the lance in the opposite hand, his right. Look g at their portraits, no matter what, Shigure and Azura have opposite handedness

And we do know that Shigure is right handed, thanks to the new DLC. The thing that troubles me is how she's holding it. Like a cane. Lots of people hold canes in their off hand to leave their dominant free.

I'd really like for Azura to be left handed. I am myself. But I thought Leo might be lefty for the longest time (tome theory) and he turned out to be righty...

All of the animations in this game are right handed, correct? (I'm not sure)

So spear masters hold their lances with their left hand in front. I asked somebody about it once, and they told me that when you wield a lance, you put your dominant hand closer to the back, because that's your main power source.

All of this is so confusing. Lances are stressful.

Maybe? I don't know, I'm not very consistent when it comes to handedness, so I'm not sure. Maybe she's ambidextrous?

The thing about the cane is that why would Azura use her lance as a cane? I guess her pendant could be having a strain on her, but she seems to fight with it just fine and can move around pretty great on the battlefield. There's also the dance cutscene where we can see her moving around without a problem.

Her being ambidextrous could be possible, but I feel like we can at least assume she's good with her left. I want to know more about general lance wielding to see if she could be right in a way