Character Handedness

Morgan

Oboro_Lance_Fighter.png

We know that combat animations are all right-handed, so Azura does fight right-handed, but she also holds the lance with her left hand so I think she's ambidextrous or at least able to use her left-hand. That would also make Hinoka left-handed.

Edited by Phillius

So JUST FOR ALL OF YOU, I tried to dig out my staff (not that healing nonsense in FE, the thing that Estelle Bright uses to mete out justice). Unfortunately, there was too much crap in the way, so I did the next-best thing and used a roll of gift wrap.

Staff fighting's a bit different than spear fighting, and I'm super-rusty. From what little I could do from memory, dominant hand is in front. Thus, pointing to Azura being a lefty.

The thing about the cane is that why would Azura use her lance as a cane? I guess her pendant could be having a strain on her, but she seems to fight with it just fine and can move around pretty great on the battlefield. There's also the dance cutscene where we can see her moving around without a problem.

Her being ambidextrous could be possible, but I feel like we can at least assume she's good with her left. I want to know more about general lance wielding to see if she could be right in a way

Oh, no! I don't mean like she has trouble walking. Just sort of like a staff she carries around. I am not exactly sure what I'm trying to say here, it's late where I live and I should probably go to bed soon. Think about it this way: if you were carrying something large around all of the time, would you be more likely to hold it in your dominant, or non dominant?

Just look up lance/staff wielding tutorial. It'll most likely be right handed. Then you can compare the stances.

Oboro_Lance_Fighter.png

We know that combat animations are all right-handed, so Azura does fight right-handed, but she also holds the lance with her left hand so I think she's ambidextrous or at least able to use her left-hand. That would also make Hinoka left-handed.

When you say Hinoka is left handed, what about when she's just holding her Lance when not fighting like Azura. I believe it was still in her right hand

So JUST FOR ALL OF YOU, I tried to dig out my staff (not that healing nonsense in FE, the thing that Estelle Bright uses to mete out justice). Unfortunately, there was too much crap in the way, so I did the next-best thing and used a roll of gift wrap.

Staff fighting's a bit different than spear fighting, and I'm super-rusty. From what little I could do from memory, dominant hand is in front. Thus, pointing to Azura being a lefty.

When you say Hinoka is left handed, what about when she's just holding her Lance when not fighting like Azura. I believe it was still in her right hand

Ugg, I don't even know anymore.

Oh, no! I don't mean like she has trouble walking. Just sort of like a staff she carries around. I am not exactly sure what I'm trying to say here, it's late where I live and I should probably go to bed soon. Think about it this way: if you were carrying something large around all of the time, would you be more likely to hold it in your dominant, or non dominant?

Just look up lance/staff wielding tutorial. It'll most likely be right handed. Then you can compare the stances.

(I laughed a bit because your profile pic went really well with your first few sentences XD)

I understand what you're saying now. Again I'll have to look more into basic Lance wielding to see what is really meant to be dominant. We can use Azura's songstress model as evidence since she's the only possible one in that class. Other class models are a bit harder because EVERYONE can be any class, and every model is right handed so there's no individuality...

So what we have so far:

Ryoma: Right-handed

Xander: Right-handed

Camilla: Probably left-handed, but I'll get to that.

Hinoka: ???

Corrins: ???
Azura: ??? (Possibly Ambidextrous)

Leo: Right-Handed

Takumi: Right-handed

Elise: Left-handed?

Sakura: Right-handed?

[spoiler=Camilla]

As for Camilla, she holds her axe right-handed in this:

93b7a7799d716ab97d13081a63059e40.jpg

But left-handed in this one:

16.jpg

She also holds her drink left-handed in the Beach Artwork:

FEF_Camilla_Swimsuit.pngAnd as said earlier, she helps the avatar off the ground during the Conquest ending with her left hand, so I think she might be left-handed.

A person could pick it up either way if you think about it. She could just reach down right there and pick it up, but otherwise a lot of the smaller parts about Camilla's art and cutscenes point more to left handed

Should we settle on ambidextrous or left for Azura? I'm leaning more towards ambidextrous

A person could pick it up either way if you think about it. She could just reach down right there and pick it up, but otherwise a lot of the smaller parts about Camilla's art and cutscenes point more to left handed

Should we settle on ambidextrous or left for Azura? I'm leaning more towards ambidextrous

She might be a case of cross-dominance (Azura, not Camilla).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-dominance

Edited by Phillius

So reading this correctly, Azura could be dominant with her right hand in fighting, but dominant in her left hand for per things such as just holding her weapon or writing?

Mhmm. Ambidextrous is being able to use both hands equally well and cross-dominance is having different handedness depending on the activity. I personally would say that she'd fight right-handed, but be left-handed for most other activities.

I think I can settle on Female Corrin being right handed since she holds her sword in her right hand in every piece of official art she's in

Yes, Corrin is right handed. All the official art of either gender shows them holding their blade as right handed people would.

As far as Azura is concerned, I favor the theory that she is left handed fir one reason. Looking at her oficial art, she holds her lance with her left hand, and whrn she holds it with both, it seems that the place where she'd have the most balance with it, is where her left hand falls. Also, comparing her art to that of Hinoka, we see that the way they hold their lances is mirrored, and Hinoka is proven to be right handed in two cutscenes, so, to me, Azura is left handed.

I guess that is two reasons,

Edited by HylianTiki

TC, I'm /lazy, so have a strong mod suggestion: READ THE CODE OF CONDUCT. You've broken two different rules on the previous page.

Edited by eclipse

TC, I'm /lazy, so have a strong mod suggestion: READ THE CODE OF CONDUCT. You've broken two different rules on the previous page.

I'm so sorry eclipse. I'll try to avoid making those mistakes again