Most annoying/brutal chapters in each route?

Yeah, I didn't realize that the Dragon Veins also blew up those obstacles the first time I played BR 23 either. Camilla please. Thankfully, I happened to have Crimson around and blocking the pathway.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Irish, so still working my way through Conquest (Hard/Classic). Also I'm going bare-bones, with no DLC and minimal My Castle stuff. Of the chapters I've experienced so far...

Chapter 10 was grand. It only took a couple of tries, never got frustrating, and treated me fairly. I agree with those saying that it's a fantastic chapter.

Chapter 12 was my first really tough go of things. I managed to get through Saizo and Kagero fairly easily, but I usually found myself trapped with my squishier units like Azura at the back when the reinforcements showed up, and promptly filled them with holes. Also, one particularly frustrating attempt I managed to open both chests on the absolutely final turn with all units surviving, thinking that I could use anyone to Escape the chapter. I then found out that it HAD to be Corrin, which wasn't specified, and I lost because of it. Even worse was that Corrin COULD have escaped is I knew that she had to be the one, but I used her turn to heal (as the back-up for Jakob).

Chapter 17 was HARD. Considering I dropped Kaze and Jakob, I had no hidden weapon user and therefore no reliable 1-2 range attacker not named Odin, who's pretty squishy and doesn't take Ninja well. It's the one and only chapter where I've accepted a death (Leo), solely from a frustrating amount of repeats and everything otherwise going well. Kinda wish I could go back now though and get him back....

Chapter 20 was also fine. You just have to take it REALLY SLOW and pay more attention to the air currents than anything else. Nothing more satisfying than being blown in to surround Hayato with my entire army, the smug little twerp.

Chapter 23 is where I'm stuck. I can get up to the wall just fine and it's all going well, but I get mobbed once I actually get up on the wall. The problem is my team isn't built to handle 1-2 range attackers well. As said before, I have no hidden weapons user and Odin is my main mage. I've neglected Xander so he's not capable of much more than hit and run, and that's pretty much it. On top of that, those freaking Basaras are pretty formidable attackers both physically and magically, meaning very few of my units can tank them out well.

I've only got a few kids, and I actually found Ophelia's paralogue tricky as I insisted on hitting up all the villages, which left me too spread out and vulnerable.

Looking back on it, my main weaknesses seem to come from lack of hidden weapons and magical options, leaving me with very few 1-2 range attackers. God knows I haven't optimised my units well at all, but it's my first run through so I'll live. I am DREADING Chapter 25 though, and the Corridor of Doom.

I'm Irish, so still working my way through Conquest (Hard/Classic). Also I'm going bare-bones, with no DLC and minimal My Castle stuff. Of the chapters I've experienced so far...

Chapter 10 was grand. It only took a couple of tries, never got frustrating, and treated me fairly. I agree with those saying that it's a fantastic chapter.

Chapter 12 was my first really tough go of things. I managed to get through Saizo and Kagero fairly easily, but I usually found myself trapped with my squishier units like Azura at the back when the reinforcements showed up, and promptly filled them with holes. Also, one particularly frustrating attempt I managed to open both chests on the absolutely final turn with all units surviving, thinking that I could use anyone to Escape the chapter. I then found out that it HAD to be Corrin, which wasn't specified, and I lost because of it. Even worse was that Corrin COULD have escaped is I knew that she had to be the one, but I used her turn to heal (as the back-up for Jakob).

Chapter 17 was HARD. Considering I dropped Kaze and Jakob, I had no hidden weapon user and therefore no reliable 1-2 range attacker not named Odin, who's pretty squishy and doesn't take Ninja well. It's the one and only chapter where I've accepted a death (Leo), solely from a frustrating amount of repeats and everything otherwise going well. Kinda wish I could go back now though and get him back....

Chapter 20 was also fine. You just have to take it REALLY SLOW and pay more attention to the air currents than anything else. Nothing more satisfying than being blown in to surround Hayato with my entire army, the smug little twerp.

Chapter 23 is where I'm stuck. I can get up to the wall just fine and it's all going well, but I get mobbed once I actually get up on the wall. The problem is my team isn't built to handle 1-2 range attackers well. As said before, I have no hidden weapons user and Odin is my main mage. I've neglected Xander so he's not capable of much more than hit and run, and that's pretty much it. On top of that, those freaking Basaras are pretty formidable attackers both physically and magically, meaning very few of my units can tank them out well.

I've only got a few kids, and I actually found Ophelia's paralogue tricky as I insisted on hitting up all the villages, which left me too spread out and vulnerable.

Looking back on it, my main weaknesses seem to come from lack of hidden weapons and magical options, leaving me with very few 1-2 range attackers. God knows I haven't optimised my units well at all, but it's my first run through so I'll live. I am DREADING Chapter 25 though, and the Corridor of Doom.

I don't know exactly how the AI works for those specific enemies, but try to lure the basaras out one by one (beware of the one that has life and death). who has the highest res in your group?

also master of arms reinforcements come out at the forts with super effective weapons for all triangles. try to have your beast units (keaton, velouria) hold them off as they don't have beast killers.

and if you can't handle 1-2 range magic attackers than I would be more wary of chapter 24 more than 25 to be honest. again, too early to be worrying about this, but try to use entrap to defeat the spy shuriken attackers in the "corridor of doom", while saving 1 use for hans in 26.

also don't be afraid to use tonics if you have to.

Edited by darkestdarkness

I don't know exactly how the AI works for those specific enemies, but try to lure the basaras out one by one (beware of the one that has life and death). who has the highest res in your group?

also master of arms reinforcements come out at the forts with super effective weapons for all triangles. try to have your beast units (keaton, velouria) hold them off as they don't have beast killers.

and if you can't handle 1-2 range magic attackers than I would be more wary of chapter 24 more than 25 to be honest. again, too early to be worrying about this, but try to use entrap to defeat the spy shuriken attackers in the "corridor of doom", while saving 1 use for hans in 26.

also don't be afraid to use tonics if you have to.

Niles has godly Res, but paper thin defense so I have to be careful on what I put him in range of. Also he has basically no offensive power either soooo.... Luring the Basara doesn't work on the wall sadly, as they often refuse to attack him and it triggers then entire wall to close in, including Oboro's posse and the archers. I can handle the Masters of Arms, I married Keaton with a Defense boon Avatar for a four-way Dragon/Werewolf wall of Draconic Hex death. Problem is my Avatar has no magical ability, still E rank tomes, and Kana can't tank EVERYTHING on his own....

Thanks for the advice though, I'll try put it into practice!

Chapter 17 for conquest. Too many ninjas someone always dies doesn't help that no one can reliably tank lots of ninjas if there are stronger enemies

The one thing that gives me satisfaction in playing Ch. 20 is killing that little douchenugget Turn 1 every time.

Niles has godly Res, but paper thin defense so I have to be careful on what I put him in range of. Also he has basically no offensive power either soooo.... Luring the Basara doesn't work on the wall sadly, as they often refuse to attack him and it triggers then entire wall to close in, including Oboro's posse and the archers. I can handle the Masters of Arms, I married Keaton with a Defense boon Avatar for a four-way Dragon/Werewolf wall of Draconic Hex death. Problem is my Avatar has no magical ability, still E rank tomes, and Kana can't tank EVERYTHING on his own....

Thanks for the advice though, I'll try put it into practice!

take care of the enemies at the bottom first before heading up the stairs. oboro's group can't attack you if you're outside of the wall and they can't follow you outside of it as well. their AI can be easily manipulated to give yourself a clear advantage.

also, regardless of how good your physical defense is, I would be careful with takumi, as his skillset is pretty nasty and all it takes is a lucky skill+crit (actually has decent chance thanks to his high skill) from him to erase your progress at the end.

If you don't have any magical offense to 1-round Takumi (the easiest way), you can bypass his counter attack with a maxed or almost maxed Shield Guage. I forget what his surrounding force looks like on Hard, but he has a group of units with him in the throne room on Lunatic that you can let aggro you for the Shield Gauge.

I didn't think of this in earlier runs, so it was either hope Kana could hit him with DStone+, or throw a beefy physical powerhouse at him and hope nothing activates.

If you don't have any magical offense to 1-round Takumi (the easiest way), you can bypass his counter attack with a maxed or almost maxed Shield Guage. I forget what his surrounding force looks like on Hard, but he has a group of units with him in the throne room on Lunatic that you can let aggro you for the Shield Gauge.

I didn't think of this in earlier runs, so it was either hope Kana could hit him with DStone+, or throw a beefy physical powerhouse at him and hope nothing activates.

somehow I forgot to mention that, could get a shield to absorb his attack and the next unit KOs weakened takumi.

but if using shields is not possible, a decently trained xander with full health can survive 1 attack of whatever takumi has, even with maximum power vengeance (provided he doesn't crit) but he mentioned he neglected training him.

For me (keep in mind that I've only completed Conquest on Normal/Casual at the time of making this comment) was Chapter 21. And even then, it wasn't so hard for me (only took the strategy of "Get the fuck out of there while you still have your skin and best units"). And it felt so satisfying when I, "Conquered", it.

Another honorable mention was Chapter 26 of, once again, Conquest. I have a funny story with this one,

[spoiler=My story]So, since I was very bad at FE, I had only one unit left, Leo, before I went to the last room. I took the left path, so I had a bunch of Generals waiting for me. Due to Leo's fantastic magic, they where no problem, but I had to use some healing items.

Then, after getting past Hans, I fought Iago. It was extremely close, but I won. I completed the chapter, using only Leo for part of it.

Playing Conquest, or rather, struggling through Conquest and I have to say... some chapters are just nightmares.

Chapter 10: It was hard enough as it was, but then Takumi drained the water, Arthur couldn't hit anything, Selena forgot how to dodge and the Dragonstone doesn't make you tanky at all.

Took three retries. Lesson learned. Arthur and Selena stayed dead. (I couldn't stand another minute of Selena's (Severa's?) b*tchy and high-nosed attitude and Arthur was a liability from the get-go. No one's going to miss you, buddy.

Chapter 13: A nightmare come true. Hurry and kill the thief, but don't let Scarlet and Reina gang up on you. Lost Beruka and Effie in this one.

Four retries. Beruka and Effie stayed dead after the fourth reset, because I had enough. Also, I found out that Fighter might be the most unreliable class in Fates. Charlotte also missed more than I can accept.

Chapter 16: Not hard but noteworthy since it was the chapter in which I found out that Kana deserves the title of 'Worst Child Character'. She couldn't dodge, did little to no damage and her Defences? Psh, what even are those? She was a Nohrian Noble at level three, mind you. And she alone caused two resets.

In the same vein, I found out that Ophelia might be my best unit. That girl killed everything in one hit and dodged everything thrown at her.

Chapter 17: The chapter where I found out that if anything can crit Niles, it WILL crit Niles. He got killed several times over (because I reset a lot.) Also, I HATE NINJAS!!!

Six retries. Niles stayed dead after the third or so.

Also, Xander and Leo are overhyped.

Chapter 19: The chapter where I just quit my current file. And I mean 'quit' quite literally. Xander, Camilla and Elise died, causing me to reset no less than two times because of them, then one more because of Azura. The Nohrian Royals are weak. Really weak.

I think I will start over on a new file and lower the difficulty. I played on Hard/Classic.

I think I just suck at Fire Emblem... *sob*

The only chapter on Hoshido that I felt was quite the difficulty spike was Chapter 24. Those darn heroes and Generals gave me quite a run for my money and they made me doubt Kana's competence as well (I lost my confidence in her, as mentioned above).

Edited by DragonFlames

Ch. 20 Conquest would be amazing without the wind. I don't see any reason for it, save for creating unwinnable scenarios for the player.

While it is annoying, it does give several nice opportunities of blowing apart some dangerous groups of the enemies or coming at certain enemy groups with full force (which would've been hard otherwise because of Hex or tight space). I actively used dragon veins to blow enemies and my own troops here and there.

Chapter 19: The chapter where I just quit my current file. And I mean 'quit' quite literally. Xander, Camilla and Elise died, causing me to reset no less than two times because of them, then one more because of Azura. The Nohrian Royals are weak. Really weak.

I think I will start over on a new file and lower the difficulty. I played on Hard/Classic

general with beast killer = dead foxes. if you neglected to train any of your defensive powerhouses... good luck. unless you reclass xander into a non beast class. keep healers as far as you can before engaging groups of enemies. having a singer is pointless since most of the combat in this chapter is done during enemy phase.

I do think that conquest ch.19 is terribly designed, though.

On my first run of Revelation I actually adored the stealth mission. It was different, it was simple, and I liked the twist at the end. I was confused about all of the hate it got.

... Until my second run, where it must have taken me a couple dozen tries to make it through without getting detected. I'm wondering if maybe the mechanics were different, since my first run was on normal and my second run was on lunatic, but I'm pretty sure they aren't. So many times where I misjudged the enemy's range and one of my units was just barely in their line of vision ...

I actually wanna see a video of this. Can someone make it happen?

I might be able to do that for you in the next half-day or so. Check back every once in a while.

The strategy only requires three paired fliers, and I think one of them needs to have 9 MOV. I usually have a boosted Xander OHKO him, but last run, it was a boosted Sorcerer Elise with Horse Spirit. I'm on Ch. 17 in this run with Sorc Elise again.

Edited by Inference

general with beast killer = dead foxes. if you neglected to train any of your defensive powerhouses... good luck. unless you reclass xander into a non beast class. keep healers as far as you can before engaging groups of enemies. having a singer is pointless since most of the combat in this chapter is done during enemy phase.

I do think that conquest ch.19 is terribly designed, though.

Thank you for the advice. I'll try and do exactly that in my next playthrough (my units are way too underpowered. Most of them aren't even promoted yet, because I wanted to test everybody.)

I'll just have to see where to get a beast killer.

Testing everybody in conquest nodlc sounds like a recipe for disaster tbh. No-grind FE is not conducive to using your entire army--doable on some FE (well, there IS FE4 but FE4 is a special case), but usually treated as a challenge run than anything. It's better to just spread it across a couple of playthroughs and focus on a reasonable-sized team unless you know that particular FE inside and out and is really good with your exp management.

I was able to get Wyvern Xander up to 41 defense (pairup, tonics, lunch, etc) on 19 and kinda just solo'd with him (he can use Beastslayer at base) and if you turn him Wyvern for 19 I recommend keeping him there until after 21. Siegfried's good but flight is REALLY good in those 3 chapters. That being said 19's design is one of the worst in Conquest.

IIRC you can buy beast killer at that point if you've upgraded your armory properly.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Testing everybody in conquest nodlc sounds like a recipe for disaster tbh. No-grind FE is not conducive to using your entire army--doable on some FE (well, there IS FE4 but FE4 is a special case), but usually treated as a challenge run than anything. It's better to just spread it across a couple of playthroughs and focus on a reasonable-sized team unless you know that particular FE inside and out and is really good with your exp management.

I was able to get Wyvern Xander up to 41 defense (pairup, tonics, lunch, etc) on 19 and kinda just solo'd with him (he can use Beastslayer at base) and if you turn him Wyvern for 19 I recommend keeping him there until after 21. Siegfried's good but flight is REALLY good in those 3 chapters. That being said 19's design is one of the worst in Conquest.

IIRC you can buy beast killer at that point if you've upgraded your armory properly.

I feel so stupid right now... I really DO suck at Fire Emblem.

Yes, I've upgraded my armory, but never once noticed that you could buy a beast killer. I should've checked more carefully.

Chapter 17 was the first chapter in Conquest that took me over a day to try and beat without dying and made me hate guerrilla warfare in gaming. I didn't care if I missed out on the speed wings since Saizo has a worse version of Pent's NPC AI in the FE7 desert chapter. At least Pent knew what was dangerous before getting himself killed.

I honestly think ninjas are almost broken, sure they have low attack for promoted units and have weaknesses to bows/axes but what does that matter if your axe users get doubled and Niles can get two rounded if your not careful? I think having a tanky general like Benny is the way to go.

Edited by Kevlar

I actually wanna see a video of this. Can someone make it happen?

Yo, I have one part of a two-parter on YouTube. It's a preliminary, 2-min. vid on the setup. My YT handle is SJtheMFZB, and I think it's up now. Hit me back if isn't. I'll do the actual demo after work.

EDIT: youtube.com/watch?v=y2p6qHv4N4E

Edited by Inference