TheMoniker plays: Fire Emblem Requiem

TheMoniker

Title  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should I play the one and only chapter of Alicia/Hector mode?

Time to experience emotions in...

The CHAPTER 1 CONCLUSION!

3Pk8O5W.pngmA9jHpX.png6dd8ONy.png

I tested in the chapter, they couldn't talk before now.

Valentine: Where’s mother? Is she safe?

Josie: Of course. But there’s bad news.

lOnIsxE.png

Josie: Just come on.

Don't say that and then leave us hanging! Why do people keep doing that?

SCvlPxO.png8DlAaZm.png

We escaped with no further problems! Is everyone safe?

Valentine: I think so.

gEOHMds.pngD9L5oMu.png

Phew, that's one parent safe! They aren't orphans yet! But the father guy was a tough military commander, he's probably fine, right?

r4UDDou.png6a0bLRe.png

Mother: I’ve done what I can to keep him with us, but

QLy1Jtb.png

What? Dangit, I guess I sort of knew this was coming... but still, I didn't expect it quite so soon!

Andrei: What?

Valentine: W-Where is he!?

Mother: This way.

itaQQ60.png

I'm not sure what to say...

I'm gonna shut up for a bit.

Valentine: How did this happen?

risUrWK.png

Ash: Father, what are yo-

Father: Quiet. When… I heard that some of his men had broken into the castle I let my cares for you get the better of me. I wasn’t sure whether you had made it away yet.

Valentine: Father…

AH2jAzP.png

Valentine: to worry for us!? If you hadn’t sent us to the prisoners, maybe Andrei and I could have-

Father: It wouldn’t have helped. We were… overwhelmed.

I thought you said you had enough soldiers to fight them back! But... yeah, I can see the castle's garrison getting taken in a surprise attack by the main army, and them being too surprised to adequately gauge their chances.

I actually really like the story of this hack so far! Then again, after GhebFE, anything would seem good...

oBls82x.png

Andrei: We can’t let Bran and his men get away with this. We have to go back!

*Father guy moves*

Father: No! Hurgh!

Ash: Father! Please… don’t try to move around.

Father: No… this has to be said. You can’t let your minds be tainted by vengeance. …Our cities may soon be forfeit, but our lives are

YBEn6yB.png

Father: Ash… Andrei…

ZQToQBm.png

Valentine: What? No… you’re not…

Father: Listen to me, Valentine. You are my heir… you must lead our forces and restore Olva to its former glory… Please.

Valentine: No… Father, no! *sniff* Not me… Aunt Josie, Uncle Rayden… even Mother would be a better choice. But I just can’t do it!

Gz84VuV.png

Valentine, don't run away! This is a critical moment here!

Father: Valentine…

Ash: Andrei, go after her.

Andrei: R-Right…

cj5b9WD.png

Ash: I… can’t just leave. Not after I-

-???

Father: Don’t… worry about it.

J1qsmHe.pngOnOJBLM.png

Mother: Just like your father said, you must become one of her pillars of strength.

Ash: Alright.

d3asoqf.pngmAqjztg.png

That's... so depressing...

yyqMNBo.png

Mother: Valentine is a strong woman. She’ll come around to it. Our children will find a way to bring Olva back.

Father: …Thank you, Florence.

Mother: No words…

an6E8KO.png

Josie: Perhaps I should have stayed to defend the city with him.

Mother: No, don’t say that. I couldn’t have risked losing you two as well. And in a situation like this, my children need you.

In story AND gameplay.

Josie: Mm… I suppose you’re right. When we lost our home during the Great War, I would have done anything to have any memory of our family nearby.

Mother: They’re different… They’re a lot older than we were when we lost Vamar. And this time, there won’t be anyone like the old me dragging them down.

"Old me"? Now I'm curious.

Rayden: …The night will soon come. You should rest for a while, Florence, and we’ll tend to the body.

Josie: Right. You can leave their well-being to us for the night.

Mother: I’ll do that.

Ah8FcX7.png

Josie: Why couldn’t you just leave us in peace. What is there to be gained in another war? … …

YBG6ITz.png

(Okay, quick explanation: There was a line before this about "Oh, what about x guy...", but I didn't catch it.)

(I'm pretty sure you all already know that yes, Bran does in fact have something to do with all of this.)

INg2ahC.pngIzNOOdE.png

Ash: Huh? Oh. Have you seen my brother or sister anywhere?

Katarina: Lord Andrei went running that way, not long ago.

Ash: Thank you.

kWahz1l.png

Katarina: I thought you should know that we’re going to get out of your way now. We don’t wish to be a burden.

HKKIUZw.png

Ash: surely all aware that going near Egardia will get you imprisoned… or worse.

Katarina: Yes. For those who are willing, I will lead them to the church to stay for the time being. Then, they can head home.

You can't go home! Then, I wouldn't have a healer, or crappy archer, or awesome wyvern guy!

G4PV6IY.png

Katarina: for the fate of your father.

Linda: You must… think it’s all our fault.

Ash: Your fault… no. The blame lies with Egardia. Speaking of which, there’s something else I should tell you… all of you soldiers.

bO8hfp2.png

Drake: for you against Egardia?

Ash: Not exactly. I suspected as much, but Bran himself confirmed this as fact.

Ash, did you see Bran at some point when we didn't?

dLhd8xh.pngxvfC3Ir.png

Ash: will be destroyed.

Drake: So, what are you saying?

Ash: I’m saying that the places you were all recruited from are in grave danger… or in the worst case scenario, have already been dealt with. Even if they didn’t help Egardia now, no one will just hand over the continent to them. So you’ll all be in the way.

iPXGqax.png

Linda: My family could be there!

Drake: They’d attack Garase? That can’t be true…

Ash: I’m sorry… but Egardia was just using you. They cannot be trusted.

Yeah, those nasties conscripting random innocent villagers... you should stay with us and help us kill them all!

...Please?

EKsS8Y5.pngjsaMx01.png

Don't worry, they're staying.

Also, I like how the dialogue addresses the reasons our compatriots are staying with us. Plenty of characters just have their original intentions forgotten about as they become another pawn in the placement screen.

yPOzAUZ.png

Valentine: I can’t believe that you’re really gone. And now you entrust so much to me? Things weren’t supposed to be this way at all.

oE4JlYr.png

Andrei: Valentine, where are you!?

Valentine: …I’m here, Andrei.

9mUjBHe.png

Andrei: Ummm, I came here, but I don’t really know what to say.

I can empathize with the feeling, Andrei.

Valentine: A few months ago, I asked him to give me a lead position in the Olvan army. Now I’m expected to take lead of the entire country… or what’s left of it. I don’t even know where to begin at a time like this.

Andrei: …Neither do I. But hey, we’ve got Aunt Josie and Uncle Raymond here. Not to mention a few soldiers that were with us, right? That’s something.

wqEqKfD.png

Valentine: I can’t-

Tz0xAq9.png

Valentine: Ash…

Ash: Of course you can’t do anything. Not like this.

Valentine: W-What?

Andrei: How is that helpful!?

Ash: Don’t mistake my intentions.

9rcEkIE.pngDtcp8Dr.png

Motivation time!

KNKEi6d.png

Ash: And we can’t let our father’s death be in vain. I’ll make sure of it.

Valentine: Ash…

Ash: The key is to start off small. We need to find somewhere safe to set up. Bran is out of our reach, as things stand.

yphWCNP.png

Considering that Egardia's strategy for winning was "cut off the head of the army, and then hope the rest of the army doesn't do much", yeah, I'd say we should still have some remnants around.

Ash: Once we’re in a good way, we can reach out to them and then we’ll start thinking about fighting back.

Valentine: …Alright, I understand.

Ash: Everybody needs to stay strong in times like these. The finishing blow to father was dealt before my very eyes… So I’m the one that let all of you down, by not doing anything. But I won’t open myself to that pain. Not until this is over.

This is hinting at something! I think. Not sure yet.

gJLCoSf.png

Valentine: But promise me… when you say that we’re together in this… you mean it, right?

Ash: Of course. And the same goes for you, right Andrei?

Andrei: That’s right. I… know that I still have a lot to learn, and I’m sorry that I’m not good at this part… but on the battlefield… you know that I’m never going to let you down.

Except for all the times he dies!

fkksQUT.png

Awww... Even if it's sad, this hack can be heartwarming sometimes.

Valentine: With you two by my side, I feel that I just might be able to do something.

Ash: Now, come on. We should head back.

msXI1ql.pngTdPQB4w.png

Hmmm...

q5li7uk.png

And on that odd note, we end the chapter! Join us next time, where we apparently find courage within! I thought that's what we just did? Either way...

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm, I got too late to see the end of GhebFE, what a shame, well done by the way moniker, if I ever finish again that game I´ll post the secret characters.

Now, getting back on topic, let´s get some popcorn and enjoy how moniker will deal with this story and it´s twist (awesome story imo, little bit depressing though...)

Edited by The Exaccus

if anything this story feels like it actually knows sibling relationships, which is a huge plus in my eyes if they were going with that theme.

Yeah, the character relationships seem believable and not-overdone.

Time to fight at night in...

The CHAPTER 2 PRELUDE!

hfQ0QjH.png

gJAbYrZ.png

Ellipses within!

Ash: There’s that feeling again…

lXujkro.png

Ash: Mother? Shouldn’t you be resting?

Florence: I could say the same about you, dear.

tabMP1g.png

Florence: Even more than your sister.

Hmm?

Ash: Well, I wouldn’t say that…

Florence: No, it’s true. Your father told me what happened out there, Ash.

WpsGJYb.png

Does Ash feel guilty about something?

Florence: …I understand. But I think you should tell your sister the truth.

Ash: Why?

Florence: Although she would never say

3WRDEdQ.png

Florence: She had been concerned about how distance you’ve been since you came back, you know?

Ash: …

Florence: But right now, even after your father’s passing, she’s sleeping peacefully.

VdDFk6T.png

Well, she might just be REALLY TIRED after helping slaughter a small army, but yeah, I can see the sentiment.

Florence: And it’s all because of the things you said to her.

Ash: I’m glad for that. But it can’t be that way forever. I’m not at my best,

3ccIT0s.png

Ash, don't be so depressing! Come on!

Ash: It’s all too much. And I’m supposed to give her the hope to go on?

Florence: … … I know, it’s difficult. I had to do the same for Josie when we were on the run. But although she was stronger than Valentine, I was a lot weaker than you are, Ash. But together, I think that you’re stronger than we were. You just need to give her some time to find that strength in herself and bring it out. …Does that make sense?

Ash: Heh, you sound unsure of yourself, Mother. But I know what you’re trying to say. And I know I’ll try my best, but…

xwQdy8o.pngSr9lfEY.png

Florence: Your uncle tells me that its taking a lot out of you, and I’m starting to see it for myself, in fact.

So, Dark magic takes energy out of the caster? How much? How worried should we be?

D5UYoDh.png

Florence: Hm? Nothing much. That’s about it, actually.

There's definitely something else.

Ash: Oh… I see.

Florence: So, Ash? Won’t you come and rest? If not for your own sake, at least do it for mine.

Ash: Of course.

2l9WnWW.png

NEVER MIND! NOBODY RESTS!

4nvgZPr.png

Ash: I don’t think so… There’s no way they could have known that I’d bring us here.

pL73zQD.pngRLxDmbz.pngnxamSpx.png

Oh, they're raiding a village, not us! Looks like we'd better go help... there could be recruitable characters out there!

Rayden: They are a small group, but it would appear that they are led by an Egardian commander.

xZHMjMG.png

Rayden: want to do, Valentine?

Don't worry, Josie won't be staying behind. We'll get to use her!

98hTPTN.png

Rayden: Good… follow me.

aEjDdeq.png

Valentine: If anything goes wrong, you get yourselves out of here.

And he's out of the combat picture again!

86fJ48u.png

Florence: What’s the matter?

8A6NwiI.png1J1I4Sr.png

Oh, great. Ash is down! Florence, go get someone!

X8YJhuU.png

But we're ignoring them for now. It's fight time!

(Also, Josie had a text skip here)

cnxV7vU.png

Valentine: We’re going to fight back, no matter how small the victories may be.

Josie: And the same goes for you, does it, Andrei?

Andrei: You bet. We didn’t spend all of that time training for nothing, did we?

Josie: Of course not.

uCsb9AO.pngrtDA8mh.png

More of our troops show up!

Katarina: Please, allow us to assist you once again. We owe your father’s sacrifice that much.

Valentine: You would fight with me… Thank you. Thank you all so much.

wH7ZFq3.png

(Another text skip!)

IumkO7w.png

Valentine: Our enemies are Egardia and those who would choose to serve them.

5h5Kgku.png

As opposed to before, when we weren't!

Oi98WDd.png

Now that's better. Valentine is sounding like a proper FE tactician!

7WAatBc.pngtHTx4Io.png

Andrei: Good riddance, I suppose.

Yeah, Drake never did join us. It's been a while since we've seen him, but I doubt he's dead, especially not if the others are talking about him...

Hmm.

ENtCG6M.png

We scroll over to Mr. Villain here.

Evil guy: The little Olvan ants were hiding nearby, after all? This is interesting. They actually plan to stand against us, too. Let’s humor them, shall we? Clive!

PH3iT6G.png

We're fighting the merc here (Clive), not the paladin. He'll pull a Bran and skedaddle.

Evil guy: You have further orders. Capture those people across the river, and your reward will be even more worthwhile.

Clive: I won’t fail you, sir.

KuhnVji.png

Failure? Wouldn't it be better to help them out here and now?

jH17jfp.png

Evil guy: Alicia to handle the rest. And besides… giving them false hope is better than simply destroying them.

HXAqAwt.png

Evil guy: It will be fun to watch.

I think he might know something we don't.

LJRoPIj.pngGOckEYP.png

Oh! That must be the guy Kieran was looking for!

Kieran: I’ve finally found you.

PAwtGSd.pngmngrl16.png

Josie: He has a habit of running. You won’t be getting anywhere near him right now.

3AsQsqe.png

Hah, hah. What did he do to you, Josie?

Josie: What grudge do you hold against him?

Kieran: … …

pyXCOGF.png

Josie: Oh, well…

END DIALOGUE

Spoil-map:

8Tr3KuG.png

cJ3a4Nx.png

With many plot twists being set up for the future, we right now have to kill these guys!

AK2AUA0.png

Checking the inventories hasn't gotten less important, the enemy has a few surprises!

OZSuEBI.png

And one notable gift. For miss archer lady, I guess.

KS8CPdc.pngR1nZTIy.png

Clive himself isn't a pushover, but he's not particularly strong, either. Remember, even though these enemies seem to pose a threat, our crutch characters are so incredibly strong they could handle every last one of these jokers by themselves if need be. Hence why I'm trying to use them only when absolutely necessary.

NEXT TIME: Various knights give us lots of trouble.

Its great to see another person giving this hack an LP. Its quite an enjoyable game.

Fun fact: Andrei used to have less Con, and his personal sword wasn't what it is now. It used to weigh more, not have bonus damage, and only deal I think 1 point more than a Trained Sword? (Been several versions back, don't remember the exact numbers). So in using it he would lose like 3 or 4 AS, in exchange for +1 attack and +15 crit.

Still, I have a soft spot for him. One of my favourite characters in the whole game.

Its great to see another person giving this hack an LP. Its quite an enjoyable game.

Fun fact: Andrei used to have less Con, and his personal sword wasn't what it is now. It used to weigh more, not have bonus damage, and only deal I think 1 point more than a Trained Sword? (Been several versions back, don't remember the exact numbers). So in using it he would lose like 3 or 4 AS, in exchange for +1 attack and +15 crit.

Still, I have a soft spot for him. One of my favourite characters in the whole game.

i remember that shit, i think one or two people even stated "whats the point of this personal weapon?

tho its name is the exact same as one of kelik's swords in last promise, i keep getting the two's useage confused sometimes.

Andrei's sword right now is actually pretty good, but if he had less CON and it weighed more, I imagine it would be useless.

i remember that shit, i think one or two people even stated "whats the point of this personal weapon?

tho its name is the exact same as one of kelik's swords in last promise, i keep getting the two's useage confused sometimes.

TLP Flamberge: 1-2 Range magic sword

Requiem Flamberge: Pretty good physical weapon

I know what you mean. I get it confused too.

Time to see some kidnapping in...

Requiem: Episode 3: Chapter 2: Fighters, Knights, and Magic

23V8380.pngqGZtzIJ.png

We start by inching forward and taking a peek at the armory. Iron and steel of all types, nothing special. I pick up a few things when I get the chance.

7Dwwkm8.png

Wait, is that bandit wearing armor? There isn't an armored bandit class, so that might just be a new generic sprite.

NGPnQPl.png

Please, bandit. Tell me your though process on attacking this guy? What was it that you saw that I somehow didn't?

QYZ0Gh0.png

Oh?

Fighter guy: And in these numbers as well. The other villages won’t last long, at this rate. And I won’t be able to save everyone here, most likely. Let’s get to work.

TPivxhU.png

Judging by the dialogue, he fully expects to die! Well, that won't be happening.

YNQuU4H.pnglmK5rOj.pngzo5bQSB.png

Marco is a fighter to fill the "buff axe user" role in our team. As you can guess, he specializes in strength and little else, though his stats seem somewhat balanced for a fighter. We can probably make something out of him.

XUtdauo.png

KIERAN!!! ...This is good. Good job.

LfqX0WN.pngVpWOceR.png

The vendor also has a simple stock, but we could potentially get a Mend equivalent here. I decide to pass.

otQfbnD.png

Let's see what the civilians have to say about the whole situation!

w3OMaMG.png

Informed girl: If you guys are here, then that means the capital really has fallen, doesn’t it?

gsBDMr7.png

Informed girl: Please, be safe…

:C

DaMlUgl.png

Despite catching the surprise in the prep screen, I still totally fell for it. Great job, me.

M4YGS2l.png

Marco is having problems with his first engagement. He's strong enough that him surviving until we get there isn't luck-based, thankfully.

Believe me, I've had problems with THAT before.

*shudder*

LHE8FXf.png

More talking? Hopefully these guys are alright.

Florence: It’s going to be alright…

tbvT1Vq.pngt2RsoZA.png

What, an allied soldier? I didn't know we had any of those with us!

Florence: What?

Gru9kJO.png

Oh, Drake! He must be here to help us! And the soldier yelling as he appeared behind him must be... crap.

uEkRNTp.pngpY6S1Vc.pngxTw2sz3.png

Craaaaaap.

Florence: I will do no such thing.

Drake: I said, hand him over.

Florence: No…

jKHxP2N.png

She's going to sacrifice herself, isn't she? Is Drake going to cement himself as the Ultimate Evil by killing her?

Florence: Whatever plan you have in kidnapping my son for, I’m sure that I’ll suffice. Won’t I?

Drake: … …

Florence: I will not resist.

CyiM1P4.pngg92r0Q6.pngrupJ26g.pngk7YqbPD.png

Bad news: The mother of the Lord characters has been kidnapped and is probably going to die soon.

Good news: JOKE'S ON HIM! She was ALREADY going to die soon! HAH!

4uS8RiQ.png

Meanwhile, our team remains blissfully unaware. While I pushed downwards, some enemies came up and have taken over the area behind me! Now I'm surrounded.

AkSRgZN.png

WOW. Linda started sucking again now that the enemies have gone up a few levels! This is only an iron bow so the MT multiplication isn't much, but... still!

HIRd22L.png

Reversal weapon vs Reversal weapon. Always a fun matchup.

3F9kbkr.pngv6bKcGg.png

Katarina gets a nearly-perfect level, while Josie visits the next house...

7Xez7lh.png

Informed man: You’re the future of Olva… No matter what happens, please survive. Don’t worry about us. We’ve survived through hardship before and we can do it again.

The people here realizing what our presence means, being happy or worried to see us... I really like the world-building going on here. It reminds us that there's more to this world than a bunch of blue, red, and green soldiers. I sometimes wish Fire Emblem would do that more.

xPnG8Q2.png

Marco defeats the fighter he was fighting, which means we should be totally clear to advance and recruit him now!

Pt3oVxr.pngdXsawd4.png

Village guy: Here… I was going to try using this against them, but it looks like you’ll need it more than I do. It may be a bit unwieldy, but it gets the job done.

5wGx00B.pngqzVOg3d.png

I know I just said Linda sucked, but this weapon is actually pretty good! Against knights. And it slows her down so much it'll be hard to double with. But still!

dpQ08CS.png

I really like the Eirika lord animation. Boop! Boop! Boop!

I1UYsmp.png

Bo-oh crap,

blxPWp9.pngacw4Uqi.png

We've crossed a turn threshold, meaning the pegasus knights will start advancing AND a bunch of new reinforcements come. Presumably these guys would slaughter Marco if you decided to just hole up at the start.

Actually, now that we're thinking of unorthodox strategies... looking at the objective and map design, I could just have Josie fly over and take out the boss!

See, this is why there are few crutch character fliers.

01ZNpb6.png

With all these enemies, we'll need a new friend to help!

QQ7AOcU.pngFdPQaMQ.png2qUOLgd.png

Sheesh, Marco! Please don't butcher the main character!

Valentine: P-Please sir, hold on!

Marco: Hm? Young girl… red hair… Are you… Lady Valentine?

Valentine: Y-Yes.

OqP0DEn.png

And that's why you always make a "pretty face check" before stabbing people.

Marco: Forgive me.

Valentine: It’s um… alright.

Marco: Well I was going to try and help evacuate some of the people from this village, but if you’re going to fight off these mercenaries, you can count me in.

Valentine: …Count you in?

Marco: Together, we can drive these bastards back in no time. Just leave it to me.

wWY6s6h.png

Valentine: I’m glad that he’s on our side…

He's actually not that strong, but we still need him.

ayqYyGe.png

Marco helps us handle that knight, and I pull into a tight formation. Naturally, this turns things into a giant cluster. But we don't have anything to fear, as long as our crutch characters are with us!

albT2E3.png

Speed! ...But you really need strength, Linda. As it is, you can barely chip.

8SDToNP.png

The Flamberge really is a good weapon! I'd say it's better than the Rose Thorn, even.

JiXa07W.pngZ7N0Cx1.png

From there, it only takes a bit of pounding to reduce the enemies around us to dust.

3DHau8y.png

And that just leaves the boss's small army! Shouldn't be too tough, right?

1EPbZAl.png

I think I'm getting a pretty good Katarina here. Lots of magic and speed.

vyh5rBN.png

We scavenge a steel bow from a fallen enemy. Linda's a weak unit, but she's getting so many useful weapons! I have to train her.

ebjRb9S.png

Even with a STEEL axe, Marco still needs 3 hits to kill these knights! They feel very tough for this point in the game. Granted, my crutch characters can nuke whoever they want with the snap of a finger, so it's not the end of the world.

wkYsFbp.pngNjRtfWn.png

The wyverns begin advancing, and even MORE of these powerful knights show up. We pretty much have to use crutch charaters or special weapons to take them all out unharmed.

kjfQ9q8.pngIzr9OVY.png

And that's exactly what we do.

Mywzl8y.png

Next turn, Clive notices that 3/4 of his army no longer exists and what remains is rapidly diminishing.

Clive: Must be tougher than I thought… No more playing around then.

CmxancD.png

His cronies had started advancing before, but now he'll advance too. Time to finish this!

dpCneuG.png

Linda gets even more speed at the cost of anything else.

MzUg0Sf.png

Val, meanwhile, gets lucky...

eELaLeg.png

Just in time for Kieran to fail at the same.

TSKJhxl.png

Presumably, he withdraws to still appear in cutscenes. Being not a real fire emblem player, however, I simply savestate.

hDbAsQG.png

Beautiful! If this is the path Andrei wants to go down, I'm not objecting!

2AzeIcO.png

That's... an interesting sentence...

He doesn't need it anymore anyways. He has a REAL lord weapon!

H08ahKh.png

Marco can tank!

x76cisE.png

Tank, but not counterattack.

oWO28Ry.png

And of course I accidentally leave an opening for the mage. Dangit, Kieran! Why do you have to have so many weaknesses? You're cool, but you're also a big liability!

DEKdoaQ.png

Val seems determined to show up Andrei.

And with that, it's time to take down our enemy leader!

A04yIbc.png

Clive: But you don’t stand a chance against me!

Clive, you clearly don't know how this works.

yrwO6cK.png

Well, I'm happy Linda got a point of skill last level... BECAUSE APPARENTLY SHE NEEDS IT!

kUaLDoq.png

If Kieran turns into a fast wimpy wyvern rider, I'll laugh and cry.

v4DeDss.png

Clive: Hm? Yeah, that’s right.

Valentine: Tell me… Is the first of my country’s villages that you’ve attacked?

Clive: I suppose you’d be more lenient if I said yes, huh? But I don’t beg for mercy.

Valentine: Fine then… You won’t get away from me.

uocMdsF.png

With no answer given, we lay into the guy! The greatsword makes him strong but slow, so we can take him down without too many problems.

mbHbrhs.png

I entrust Marco with the final hit, and he takes the opportunity.

I7Ynxwa.png

Clive: Legato… damn you…

Legato is the paladin guy we saw at the start.

1mhZqTs.pngBgLoST6.png

Wonderful, wonderful! Overall, I'd say things went pretty well here!

NEXT TIME: Things go somewhat differently from how you might expect.

GROWTHS:

Marco:

HP: 90%

Strength: 70%

Skill: 50%

Speed: 35%

Luck: 40%

Defense: 35%

Resistance: 5%

Total: 325%

Marco is a very standard fighter, with great HP and strength, average skill, a crippling Resistance flaw, and meh in everything else. Long-term, he'll need speed to survive, but as long as he keeps proccing strength he should fit his role and fit it well.

Looking at the main topic, it seems I've missed a few talk conversations. There's no going back, but I'll try to get them all in the future.

Taking Josie over to take out the boss ASAP is a perfectly valid option, but then you lose out on all of those levels you gained. And the village. And the droppable items.

True, and this early in the game, that's probably encouragement enough. Still, having Josie as crutch character causes certain other problems, which we'll see soon.

The CHAPTER 2 CONCLUSION!

4dq03l4.png

Victory!

BsHAPAE.png

Andrei: Looks like we can do something after all.

Oh, right, no... Florence is kidnapped...

Valentine: I’m… starting to see that for myself now.

Josie: Hey, you two! This is no time to be celebrating!

Andrei: What’s wrong?

Josie: You should go and talk to the villagers. See if we can do anything for them.

Valentine: Right. We’re on it. Andrei, come on.

AYkI2uL.pngq4AsNMl.pnggnss1gm.png

Rayden: Does that surprise you?

Josie: No… I guess not. But wherever that man goes, trouble will follow. We can’t be dealing with him right now.

myjBPpx.png

Josie: back, if we meet him again.

Wow, BOTH our wyverns have a huge vendetta against this guy!

Rayden: You need to cool off. Why don’t you go and talk to Florence for a bit? We’ll need to get moving soon. It’s not safe here.

fA1XWjx.png

Lady: People were starting to think the worst.

Old man: Please, why don’t you come in and stay? You’re very welcome to.

Valentine: I’m sorry, but we can’t be staying very long. And neither should you. Egardia is coming, and we have to stay on the move for now.

Lady: O-Oh?

Valentine: …Unfortunately, we don’t have the strength to fight them on equal footing just yet. We’re going to be heading north. I’d say you should do the same.

Old man: …That might take some time. Many of our people here are either very young or very old.

Valentine: That’s fine. There’s still probably some time before any more soldiers arrive.

Lady: We understand.

Olva is being so evil, ravaging the villages of a land they've already conquered. Wouldn't it be better to leave them standing and tax them harshly? They're only destroying their own economy at this point.

fgmDAyM.pngvvzPpie.pngsOmbEvc.png

Valentine: Yes. What will you do now?

Marco: I said that you could count me in, didn’t I? Anywhere you go, I’ll follow. If it helps protect the future of Olva, I’m onboard.

I like Marco. No special reason for teaming up with us, he's just happy to be here.

Valentine: I’m glad to hear it. Although, I’d like to get to know you before having you follow us, if you don’t mind. What’s your name, sir?

Marco: Marco, or Marc. No “sir” about it.

fo5r7qU.png

I wonder if we'll visit there?

Valentine: Velgen… that’s south-east Olva, right?

Marco: I’m impressed that you know it.

Valentine: If that’s where you’re from, then… I see. When the Egardians came through, your village must have been one of the first to be it. I’m sorry, Marco. I wish we could have done something to help.

Oh... I guess he had more of a reason than I thought.

Marco: I know you guys were doing the best you could. We were caught off guard by the Egardians as well. I wasn’t the only survivor, I’m sure, but I don’t have a clue where anyone else went. Since then, I’ve been trying my best to help out the Olvans I come by.

Valentine: That’s a noble goal, Marco.

Marco: Heh… Well, it’s what I think my wife and children would have wanted from me. And it’s what I couldn’t do for them. Anyway, I’ll leave you to your business for now.

9piFLKw.pngDUekKUm.pngvFYdegq.png

Josie comes screaming in at breakneck speed. Which means she's found out.

tWIYiuf.png

Josie: I-It’s your mother! She’s missing! Ash, come on! Speak up!

BfctqFN.png

Andrei: What the hell happened!?

Ash: …It was that knight from earlier… he took her. The blood isn’t mine. …Or mother’s.

TUS3FB7.png

Still not sure how he happened to be in that exact place. But Drake is EXTRA bad for killing him!

Andrei: That bastard! I always knew he was bad news!

Valentine: Ash, please tell me that she’s alright. He didn’t hurt her at all?

Ash: I… don’t think so. I’m sorry… but it’s all so unclear right now.

k9mXmaV.png

Cut the guy a break! Ash was disabled for plot reasons!

Josie: I’m going to look again. He can’t have gone far. Andrei, come with me!

wTkyXtj.pngytl8A8y.png

How are we going to get set up in a safe-ish place with all this stuff happening?

YRaCZWC.png

Ash: I-I couldn’t…

Valentine: Ash, just calm down. Nobody expected this.

VMROTtr.png

It's a good thing Ash still has some family left. Both of his parents died or may be dead soon in front of him while he wasn't able to do anything...

Rayden: But what is our plan, Valentine? If they run into one of Bran’s armies, they’ll both be killed.

Valentine: We don’t have time to search around aimlessly. This might be too much to ask, Ash, but can you use your magic to find and get us to Mother’s location?

DdPIXRl.png

Ash: Like Aunt Josie said, they can’t have gone far.

Valentine: You’re a lifesaver, Ash. I’ll bring everyone in.

So, if you hadn't gathered already, dark magic and magic in general has a lot more use and power in Requiem's world than normal Fire Emblem. Ash can teleport us wherever he wants... at the cost of him being unable to help us in combat.

qEo91FL.pngm2MW9MQ.png

Rayden: This dark magic of yours is really starting to take its toll on you. If it gets any worse-

Ash: Don’t you think I know that!? I’m sorry, I shouldn’t shout. I’m trying to cut down on how frequently I use it. But since the war began, and especially yesterday… I’ve used it far too much.

Rayden: You should tell Valentine.

Ash: Hmm…

Rayden: She wouldn’t force you to use it, if she understood that it’s doing this to you.

pNWGE7a.png

Worrying about family members has already caused 1 death so far.

Ash: Besides… if we didn’t have this magic, we would have been killed many times over by now. And if Mother were to die the one time I didn’t use it, I could never live with myself.

Rayden: …I want to argue, but I know that you’re right. But as soon as we’re safe, promise me you’ll stop.

Ash: Mm… alright. I promise.

cxVPiEF.png

And with that, we have our next chapter "Liberation". It's not a very indicative title.

I'd like to say again, I really like the story. Don't read my comments in an "intelligently criticizing the terribleness voice", read them in a "playful jab" voice. And we'll get more story next time!

HALB is exciting, but I haven't forgotten completely about this LP!

The CHAPTER 3 PRELUDE!

a6zyXQs.png

Liberation... from having our family members kidnapped and annoying knights!

m2faDxN.pngXHTPi05.png

Florence and Drake come out onto the big field, with Drake marked as a green unit for some reason.

Florence: Sir… Drake, was it? Please, at least tell me what your plan is. Who are we waiting for?

Drake: Who do you think?

ZUVZXSA.png

Drake: passage back home to Garase.

Wait, Drake isn't trying to SERVE GLORIOUS GARASE? He just wants to see his home? There are other ways he could have done it than kidnapping somebody's mother...

Florence: …I see. But do you really think that you can trust them?

Drake: Olva and the other countries treat us no better than Egardia. At the end of the Great War, we were looked down upon as cowards, and yet the apparent “enemy”, House Egarde were given lands to call their own.

Florence: …I was not aware that Garase had been treated so. And I can’t speak for my husband’s and the other houses’ treatment of the Western Confederation, either. I’m sorry to hear that. But my son told you what Lord Bran himself said, did he not?

Drake: That’s why I’m doing this.

jrMaD3d.png

Well, unlike the others he hasn't directly fought against the Egardians. Still, Drake seems to be assuming a lot of the enemy army's goodwill.

Drake: Once I get back home, I’ll confirm the truth. I joined the Egardians of my own will, and so I’ll trust them until there’s some proper proof.

Florence: …Very well… I will respect your decision. However, I do fear it will not be so simple. *Cough**Cough*

Drake: What’s wrong with you?

TcknpTg.png

"I'll die, just not quite yet. We'll all die, but my way there is being slightly accelerated. No cause for alarm, really."

Florence: It looks like someone else has arrived now.

uqhheSx.pngqNvEUz9.png

And now we're meeting with... who?

Mage lady: You actually made it out of there alive.

iXQMgo4.png1qvyFvS.png

Florence: A-Ash? Why do you want him!?

Mage lady: I don’t believe I was talking to you, milady. Although, to be honest, I don’t know either. Just following orders, you know?

Yeah, ya know? The mage seems to be taking things very casually.

Drake: We’re getting off topic.

Mage lady: Mmm… quite. Anyway, I suppose she’ll do just as well. You still have some time left in you, don’t you, Lady Florence.

Florence: …!

Drake: What are you talking about?

Mage lady: Oh… nothing. What did you want in return, again?

Drake: I want you to allow me safe passage back home in Garase.

BrC0XT4.png

I guess this is the point where the chances of things going well for Drake start to diminish.

Mage lady: That’s your plan? You’re… not very smart, are you?

Drake: What are you- What do you mean!?

Mage lady: You joined our army. A deal like this might be enough to not get you punished for failure, but complete immunity and leave of the army is asking way too much.

Florence: … …

DuR9Di6.pngPURpUaK.png

Ouch. I'm liking this lady even less than Drake.

Mage lady: In Egardia, deserters are executed if they get caught, you know? And we don’t have a high opinion of people who submit to capture in their first battle, either. As it stands right now, you’re just in the way.

XtWYYrs.png

Mage lady: take her for myself. What do you think?

Drake: Grr…

Florence: Sir Drake! We must go, quickly!

Mage lady: Don’t rush yourself, milady. It’ll only make it worse for you.

m4XrzuO.png

When you say that, Drake, do you mean "Why is the evil army being the evil army" or "why did Alicia, a mage, choose to pull back and let her mooks handle it instead of turning you, a knight, into some charred ashes right off the bat"?

Florence: I told you… It would never be that simple. We must run, now!

AYEV5mY.pngd4l7l8n.png

Aww... Even though Drake's caused us a ton of trouble, I'm suddenly feeling sympathy for him. He's so doomed...

Florence: Please, I beg of you! Don’t give up on yourself now! I want to live… and I know you must want to as well. There’s still a chance.

Drake: No… There isn’t.

Florence: Sir Drake… I forgive you.

nBibODz.png

Florence: Yes… and right now, I need you. You are the only one that can give me a chance to see my family again. You are not a coward as people might think you are, Sir Drake. You are a proud knight of Garase.

mfXdBWS.png

Florence: Thank you.

This is all making me really like Florence. Maybe we can find some way for her NOT to die? Please?

Florence: *Cough* She’s right… I’m in no condition to run away.

KNcS0n5.pngRxlxs3V.png

A desperate plea for help! THAT'S OUR CUE!

gAZ1S0V.png

Andrei: Those soldiers look like they’re readying to attack.

Valentine: It looks like he’s going to protect Mother…

Andrei: Hmph… That doesn’t mean much.

VPMR9JT.png

Josie: Stop talking and get moving.

vesCWZF.png

Ash: but getting her back is in your hands.

Ash is out for the count once again. But maybe we can recruit Drake soon?

Valentine: Ash, you look so pale… what’s wrong?

Ash: Just… a little tired.

"The dark magic is absorbing my life energy and maybe my personality as well. Nothing to worry about."

BF1WmmO.png

I'm guessing we'll use it, too.

Valentine: You just leave it to us.

Andrei: That’s right. We’ll get her back.

And we start!

END DIALOGUE

Spoiler-Map:

Zd3unZS.png

XATZBpq.png

Okay, the map in the spoiler doesn't tell us much we don't already know, except that Alicia there will retreat without us having to fight her. But maybe... we could do something about that, hmm? Once the chapter starts, that is. For now, let's look at our newbies!

XHGFi5i.png42o108o.png

I was expecting Florence to be some sort of pegasus knight, but her illness has made her a weaker version of Valentine. With no weapon, she's totally reliant on...

gtiLHU3.png

Drake! He's still Drake from the prologue, but three chapters in the future, and with there being a LOT of axe users around, he'll actually die in 2 rounds. Florence should be safe so long as he's alive, but he gives a game-over upon death so we need to move quick to keep him safe.

4CQL4av.pnghEHXx5c.png

The enemy has a nice shiny new weapon and a renamed Heavy Spear. Other than though, mostly unremarkable.

XDozqGz.pngI7UhxgN.png

Alicia seems... like a relatively normal and balanced boss that could have been used for this chapter. Not sure why we don't just fight her here. I'm guessing we'll fight her next chapter if at all.

NEXT TIME: Moniker demonstrates why you don't give crutch characters wings (IT BREAKS THINGS).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry guys, I know it's been YEARS, but the end of the school year and work have been stealing all of my time. Soon, however, with the coming of summer, my schedule will open and I can update much faster!

Fire Emblem Requiem: Episode 4: Chapter 3: Flight and Fight

LQ8Bo5L.png

Okay, so. Since it's been so long, I want you guys to go back and look at the prelude, and read the spoiler-map. If you don't want to, the gist is: Alicia leaves at the end of Turn 4. But what happens... if we kill her before then?

Now, this seems impossible. Alicia is entrenched on the enemy's side of the field, and none of our normal people can reach her even without any obstacles. However...

pqhp5Mr.png

We have an 8-MOV flying crutch character tank.

o9PJwOK.png

Turn 2: Out of the way, loser!

YsKImpk.png

And finally! With a bit of help from the RNG...

RDEvzoK.pngGrZXEuZ.png

Boop! No death quote?

6aiJsvp.png3or4VdY.png

The event isn't supposed to start on a random moutain tile...

Mr7wQMG.png

Annnnnd it froze. Total crash, with the shrieking and everything.

Requiem successfully broken!

Okay, let's do it for real this time.

cTg6xQd.png

On the first enemy phase, many enemies begin advancing. They don't make it to Drake yet, but our army needs a turn to get there too.

ISCFPYs.pnguUR3nfC.png

On the second enemy phase, I make the mistake of leaving Drake open to attack. Despite him defying the RNG for a critical, Drake isn't tanky enough to resist a weapon triangle disadvantage against axes, and so slow he gets doubled by some enemies.

Y7wWPyK.pngjMt8xnx.png

Like so!

Drake: M’lady… forgive me…

Florence: Sir Drake! No, this can’t be happening!

Njj9RKw.png

Drake drops after 2 rounds. His first-chapter boss stats just don't stand up! Since he's so wimpy, we'll need to work extra hard to make up for him.

tTcHd0F.png

I could have Kieran or Josie grab him, but that would leave Florence open, and she's not exactly better off than Drake. For now, he'll block the enemy's route of attack.

cM5BrwK.png

Rayden, meanwhile, kills off the biggest threats to Drake.

zAvPZV7.png

Unfortunately, this leaves him open to attack from other enemies, who are left as little but charred ashes.

VCNKzXq.png

Drake continues to demonstrate his uselessness. The good news is, he's lasted long enough that the rest of our army can take the field!

EOZ054k.png

Alicia: did all of them manage to get here so quickly? The Olvans would never let him go along with a plan like this. And from the look on his face, he was completely surprised that I turned on him back there.

Hah! You villians aren't used to the good guys having the crazy teleport magic, huh?

S8DQLDp.pnggnUsiqJ.png

Once again, Alicia. If he was making such a slow getaway, you could have just incinerated him. You never needed to call for backup, and Drake probably would have dropped fast.

Alicia: These mercenaries probably aren’t a match for them.

k3qxskn.png

Alicia: I can’t afford to fail here.

Don't worry, the backup unit will never come. We won't be seeing any major reinforcements.

oDD0Au7.png

Fliers incoming! But, they're pretty much the only thing around Drake could actually beat.

JF3Vmh4.png

And we have Marco to handle them!

wOKJxIF.png

Army! Form UP!

Thanks to Rayden's unnecessary slaughter, we're good for now. I'll let the enemies come to me!

yUVpASo.png

Like this!

m8OJcUf.png

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

vlZSBYd.png

Without reinforcements, it doesn't take long for the enemy army to start running out of steam. This chapter is tough, but it's also quick.

6u83Wrx.png

If we can just take out that big cluster...

(Note: The objective is "Protect", but it really means "rout all enemies".)

KMmq7Lk.pngkTd3lLi.png

I don't like it, but nobody but Rayden can engage that mass of mooks and live.

bMKseRE.png

Eh... hah hah... hah... See? This is why we need Rayden!

HOETg7s.png

There are no less than four talk conversations in this chapter, too! Let's see if we can get them all!

4WwXxzY.png

Josie: Oh, thank the goddess…

Florence: I’m sorry for worrying you, Sister. But there was nothing I could do.

Josie: You don’t have to explain it to me. I would have been more worried if you’d tried to fight him. Are you unharmed?

Florence: Yes, perfectly well.

Josie: Good. I’ll deal with this. You just stay put.

FJV3vdk.png

Too late, Florence. Josie's 8-MOV mount never stays in one place for very long.

PT5MPuH.png

Many of the talk conversations require talking to Florence, but she's blocked in by Drake, so I have to move him.

(In retrospect, I could have just moved Florence...)

4GpHlpJ.pngr01TnBo.pngzDIi9bK.png

Florence: Please, tell me that he’s-

Rayden: …He’ll be fine. Although he seriously needs some rest right now.

Come to think of it, Florence never saw what happened to Ash after he basically fainted.

Florence: O-Oh…

bQVflRc.png

Rayden: You’re going to give Josie a heart attack.

Well... it wasn't really avoidable. Come to think of it, if Ash had been kidnapped, we wouldn't have gotten him back since Florence can't warp us places.

Florence: I’m sorry, Ray. But I had no choice.

Rayden: I know. What’s important is that you’re safe right now.

I like how the characters here do seem to care for each other.

KolwnGI.pngSxDmC0l.png

Val: We’re going to get out of this in one piece.

zl5Lyzj.png

Linda! Can't you see Val is giving herself a pep talk?

Val: O-Oh! Did you say something?

Linda: N-No…

Val: …It’s Linda, right? That’s your name?

Linda: Y-Yes. Yes, milady!

Val: Ok. Be careful out there. These mercenary soldiers are tougher than the Egardians we fought while escaping from Olva. If things get too rough, fall back and stick by me. …I’ll try to protect you as best I can.

WX5bBKG.png

Linda: And she’s still concerned for someone like me… I have to help! We have to save Lady Florence!

Motivation!

2sviGCy.png

And the last and maybe most important one:

xOHxbFG.pnghMwXDfG.png

Florence: I knew someone would come for me.

Val: Come, let’s escape whilst we still can.

Florence: Before that, I would ask that you help that man as well and hear him out.

bzcxiGH.png

Nobody can talk to Drake, but maybe after this he'll be recruitable?

yKhGxt3.png

Like a doofus, I forgot to take a screenshot of me killing the last enemy, so this last heal level will have to do. Everyone else dies offscreen.

NEXT TIME: Andrei: The Worst Lord Who Doesn't Know How FE Works

Hrm, looks like that little issue got missed maybe. I know there's another map where that used to be an issue (if MUCH more difficult to pull off), its now impossible because... well I'll explain why once you get to that map and point out the difference.

Though this map did do a good job of showing why we have pre-promotes around. Your units just don't cut it for when the mobs get really thick without the pre-promotes. Its all about figuring out when you need to use them, and when you can carefully kite enemies away to feed your other units.

I like reading your playthroughs, and Requiem is the longest fan game/hack/ect I've played through entirely so I'm glad to see you playing it!

The characters relationships are the highlight of Requiem for me: they are pretty well done overall, and I'd say they are more realistic than most core FE games. There's a few touching scenes, and I'd say that Josie is one of the most interesting/complete SRPG character I've ever seen. Stat-wise she's totally usable for the entire game.

I did have some issues with the story progression later on (though the story itself is fine) and I felt that the difficulty fell sharply downward as I progressed through the second half of the game, even though my playthrough was a soft "Female-only" playthrough (soft as in I still used male characters I was forced to deploy, I used male characters if I didn't have enough female units to fill all the deployment slots, and I used Bruno for most of the game so that I actually had an axe user). Even with that restriction, it was an utter cakewalk later on; hopefully you'll be somewhat cursed with growths so you'll keep a challenge the entire way through.

Despite my grievances with the game, I've enjoyed it quite a lot overall, and for a fan project it's immensely impressive. Hope you'll like it too, and looking forward to reading the rest of your playthrough! :)

• 2 weeks later...

You know, this suddenly has me imagining an FE game with the main lord as a Wyvern Rider-or heck, any type of flier! Has anybody done that?

My FE8 RR hack has Cormag replacing Ephraim. And yes, you could totally uber LTC chapter 5x by having Cormag fly across the water near the start, but it isn't very feasible without RNG abuse due to the fliers and the fact that Cormag, unlike Ephraim, isn't carrying any Elixirs. You'd probably want to ferry Orson at the very least. You could LP it if you'd like, though I'd ask that you at least wait until the next patch comes out, but considering you're already doing two LPs right now, I'd imagine if you did do it you'd probably not start until at least one of your LPs has finished, by which time the next patch would probably already be out. I do plan on eventually editing the script so that the hack actually has a coherent plot (like I'm doing with my FE6 RR hack), so you might also want to wait until then, but it'll be a long ways off before I get around to doing that. If I ever get around to it.

Regarding this hack, I think it looks pretty neat. I'd imagine the 325 growth total for everyone is an attempt at maintaining some sort of balance. The male to female ratio also seems pretty equal, which is nice. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when things have uneven gender ratios without some sort of excuse. And I'd say Florence has a slim chance of maybe surviving, given Eliwood in FE6 is apparently "deathly ill", yet he survives the entirety of the game. (Seriously, the first time I played it I was totally expecting him to kick it at some point, only to be surprised when his death never came)

Also, does anyone else think the dad looks kind of like Ra's al Ghul, or is it just me?

Okay, I PROMISE it will be less than 10 days before the next update! PROMISE!

Hrm, looks like that little issue got missed maybe. I know there's another map where that used to be an issue (if MUCH more difficult to pull off), its now impossible because... well I'll explain why once you get to that map and point out the difference.

Though this map did do a good job of showing why we have pre-promotes around. Your units just don't cut it for when the mobs get really thick without the pre-promotes. Its all about figuring out when you need to use them, and when you can carefully kite enemies away to feed your other units.

Ah, okay. So the reliance on prepromotes is a part of the strategy? I didn't realize it, and generally I consider forced reliance on crutch characters to be bad thing (See: FE13 Lunatic+ Mode), but I feel like that could be made more clear through dialogue. For example, one of them saying something like "we're really strong, but you youngsters need to fight and become stronger too...". Something like that.

I like reading your playthroughs, and Requiem is the longest fan game/hack/ect I've played through entirely so I'm glad to see you playing it!

The characters relationships are the highlight of Requiem for me: they are pretty well done overall, and I'd say they are more realistic than most core FE games. There's a few touching scenes, and I'd say that Josie is one of the most interesting/complete SRPG character I've ever seen. Stat-wise she's totally usable for the entire game.

I did have some issues with the story progression later on (though the story itself is fine) and I felt that the difficulty fell sharply downward as I progressed through the second half of the game, even though my playthrough was a soft "Female-only" playthrough (soft as in I still used male characters I was forced to deploy, I used male characters if I didn't have enough female units to fill all the deployment slots, and I used Bruno for most of the game so that I actually had an axe user). Even with that restriction, it was an utter cakewalk later on; hopefully you'll be somewhat cursed with growths so you'll keep a challenge the entire way through.

Despite my grievances with the game, I've enjoyed it quite a lot overall, and for a fan project it's immensely impressive. Hope you'll like it too, and looking forward to reading the rest of your playthrough! :)

Right now, the game is actually a lot harder than I was expecting, and while I'm sort of relieved to see that it'll get easier soon, I don't want it to be TOO easy.

My FE8 RR hack has Cormag replacing Ephraim. And yes, you could totally uber LTC chapter 5x by having Cormag fly across the water near the start, but it isn't very feasible without RNG abuse due to the fliers and the fact that Cormag, unlike Ephraim, isn't carrying any Elixirs. You'd probably want to ferry Orson at the very least. You could LP it if you'd like, though I'd ask that you at least wait until the next patch comes out, but considering you're already doing two LPs right now, I'd imagine if you did do it you'd probably not start until at least one of your LPs has finished, by which time the next patch would probably already be out. I do plan on eventually editing the script so that the hack actually has a coherent plot (like I'm doing with my FE6 RR hack), so you might also want to wait until then, but it'll be a long ways off before I get around to doing that. If I ever get around to it.

Regarding this hack, I think it looks pretty neat. I'd imagine the 325 growth total for everyone is an attempt at maintaining some sort of balance. The male to female ratio also seems pretty equal, which is nice. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when things have uneven gender ratios without some sort of excuse. And I'd say Florence has a slim chance of maybe surviving, given Eliwood in FE6 is apparently "deathly ill", yet he survives the entirety of the game. (Seriously, the first time I played it I was totally expecting him to kick it at some point, only to be surprised when his death never came)

Also, does anyone else think the dad looks kind of like Ra's al Ghul, or is it just me?

I really can't take any more LP work right now, and I have Midnight Sun scheduled after these two are done. Though, I might want to wait for Patch 2.0 on that one...

Also, I'm hesitant to form an attachment to Florence as a character, but I do like her and I hope she finds some way to make it through... hopefully.

Intense scenes in...

The CHAPTER CONCLUSION!

Gh14xVh.png

Reminder: We just rescued Florence with Drake's help, and now everyone's made at Drake for kidnapping her.

Josie: And do it quickly. I don’t have much patience for those who would kidnap my sister.

Drake: … …

Andrei: Go on, say something! You were so talkative before, weren’t you?

roNLi3B.pngQfkEOXL.png

Andrei: You wouldn’t have needed to be saved if it weren’t for him in the first place!

jrzlQ57.png

I'm kind of agreeing with them, but at the same time, I do want Drake on my team, and he's gained my sympathy after his crushing rejection from Mage Lady...

Florence: Valentine!

K7qMOfr.png

Val: So, explain yourself, knight. You won’t be harmed by anyone. I promise you.

ztdL3Wv.pngErQnONC.png

Drake: Your brother was right about Egardia. They can’t be trusted.

Evidently. Those jerks!

Val: …Right.

Drake: I know I’ve done something horrible, but I promise.

mmuUozA.png

Alright! Looks like we've got a new team member! It's been tumultuous, but it'll be nice to have an armor knight!

Andrei: Are you kidding me? Val, this guy will turn on us any chance he gets.

Don't worry Andrei. Blue units NEVER hurt other blue units.

Florence: This man has lost everything, Valentine. You can’t just abandon him here like this.

Val: Well…

EEGZoKe.pngD9lAFuI.png

Oh, yeah, the backup unit might still be coming.

Ash: We can bring him with us and then decide. That woman is surely bringing more soldiers to pursue us. We might not be able to take them.

Val: You’re right. But where will we go?

Ash: I’m getting us out of Olva. Egardia is too deep within our lands for us to be able to make any advances at the moment, don’t you think?

We're leaving our home country... this actually signifies a lot. The royalty/ruling elite isn't even on their own territory any more, and historically that's generally not very good for the conquered country. Olva is going to be Egardia's territory for a good while more.

Val: Mm… okay. Go ahead, Ash.

wogHxo6.pngnFTEW5Y.png

Drake: Thank you.

V9frJZE.png

Wait, Andrei?

MxVEjpd.png

Andrei: actually wanted?

Drake: W-What?

*Andrei shoves Drake*

Ash: Andrei!

Andrei: Good luck, knight.

E86RvXu.pngiZhp3zn.png

Everyone warps away... except Drake.

So, Andrei, AFTER the others had said it was okay to take him, shoves him out of the circle because Andrei had a personal grudge, likely leaving Drake to his death.

That was NOT what I expected out of one of our lord trio.

AfZyfGI.pngScQEsoO.png

Alicia: That looks like a tragic ending for you though.

Drake: I suppose I only have myself to blame. Please, I beg that however you choose to have me killed, just make it quick.

Alicia: … …

fT07jmJ.png

Drake thankfully isn't going to get killed yet... but if he defects back to the enemy, who could blame him?

Alicia: some use to my lord and I. Tell me… what kind of magic was that just now?

Drake: I don’t know.

Alicia: I suppose it was stupid of me to ask you.

Vu0yvXE.png

Alicia: I wonder why Commander Legato wanted me to capture you.

O1LF9LM.png

And we're back with the members of the party I like, Ash and Valentine. Andrei's here too.

eMNCuag.png

Ash: Sorry… like I said before, I could maybe only manage one more of these warps.

Val: Over here, Ash. Let’s sit you down.

8EpAtOt.png

7BP60eG.pngWE0MjHm.png

So... you kill him. Let's be honest, even if Drake isn't dead, Andrei knew that the enemy was coming, and that they wouldn't be happy with Drake when they arrived. Lack of knowledge isn't an excuse here.

Andrei: He constantly disrespected our House even when we took him as a captive and Father showed him the utmost mercy. And now he was going to hand you over to Egardia. He deserves whatever comes to him now, if you ask me.

Florence: You…

ymJizec.pnguL4A8HN.pngFkqLKbW.png

Florence: Don’t touch me! Are these the kinds of things you’re teaching my son, Josie?

hudq6n8.png

Josie: Flora…

YRBm7Ky.png

Rayden: You’re going to wear yourself out.

Florence: R-Ray?

Rayden: …Are you back to your senses now? Look at who you’re talking to.

EjZTCoj.png

Florence: I’m so sorry! Please forgive me. I don’t know what came over me.

I'm not sure what to say to all this... this took a turn that I was NOT expecting, and I'm not sure what to think anymore.

Josie: It’s… fine.

Florence: …I’m sorry.

glnTYuC.png

Andrei: She… hit me.

You sorta killed a guy!

LVHDXqa.png

Andrei: What?

zTtoomS.png

Andrei: I was just doing what I thought was-

Josie: Quiet, you! Why are you still here? Go and apologize to your mother, right now!

Andrei: O-Okay.

aMeCJWc.png

Val: I’ve never seen her like that before.

Rayden: Don’t worry too much. As her condition worsens, she’s just a bit worried about how she’s leaving you kids behind. As such, you shouldn’t take what she said to heart, either, Josie.

Josie: Well… alright. But I’m going to smooth things over with her.

zNn0BaZ.png

Now we're going to focus on other things. And good thing too, that was getting really heavy.

Rayden: It doesn’t look like anywhere in Olva.

zxVQZaO.png

We're in the Old Empire's lands! I wish I knew what that was!

Val: Although he fell asleep before he could say anymore.

Rayden: Well, we should be safe from Egardia for now, at least. What will you do now?

Val: I think it’s best that we all get a decent moment of rest before anything else happens. I’ll go out scouting later and maybe find someone who can tell us where we are, exactly. Hopefully there’s some form of safe refuge nearby.

Rayden: It looks like you’re starting to take on your role as a leader well, Valentine.

Val: Thank you, Uncle. Honestly though, I’m terrified about what must be going on in Olva, right now. There are a lot of relatives and friends back there that I can’t be sure I’ll ever see again.

Rayden: Don’t worry, you will. Egardia have lost their momentum by now. And now that they’ve failed to capture anyone from House Olva, the people will continue to oppose them for the most part. They’ll be fighting in foreign lands against angry Olvans who know the lands as well. Does that reassure you?

So, they'll be dealing with remnants while we do stuff? At the same time, a resisting nation means more destruction and more rebuilding... but then, Egardia shown it's willing to torch villages on its own territory already.

Val: Haha… I wish I were as strong-willed as you, Uncle. But, unfortunately, that doesn’t dispel all my worries. For now, though, I can only move forward, I know that much.

Rayden: …Exactly.

D3i9tiU.png

NEXT TIME: New characters and a long fight.

I really can't take any more LP work right now, and I have Midnight Sun scheduled after these two are done. Though, I might want to wait for Patch 2.0 on that one...

It's cool. I hope I didn't come off as pressuring you to LP it, I only mentioned it because you were curious if there was a hack with a flier for a Lord and my hack technically qualified. In fact, if you ever do decide to LP it, I'd rather it be later rather than sooner because it gives me more time to improve it, and I'm actually really looking forward to your Midnight Sun LP and would rather that be your top priority for your next LP. But like I said, no pressure, it's totally up to you if and when you LP it or any other hack/game for that matter.

On-topic, holy shit those scenes were intense. I guess it'll be even longer still before Drake finally joins you, but I'm pretty sure he will eventually. Can't wait for the next update.

Ah, okay. So the reliance on prepromotes is a part of the strategy? I didn't realize it, and generally I consider forced reliance on crutch characters to be bad thing (See: FE13 Lunatic+ Mode), but I feel like that could be made more clear through dialogue. For example, one of them saying something like "we're really strong, but you youngsters need to fight and become stronger too...". Something like that.

Yes and no.

How do I explain this without saying too much.... think of those two like Titania. But instead of being FE9, its more like she (they) are in FE7 HHM.

You are absolutely going to use them at the start of the game. But unlike Marcus the EXP they gain isn't a completely waste either, they still turn out pretty solid. Use them as you need to, don't be afraid to have them hold down areas in particularly tough maps, but slowly ween off of them.

Honestly, I think Awakening Lunatic+'s forced reliance on pre-promotes was better than this hack's in that Awakening had other, easier difficulties you could try if you didn't want to have to use Frederick, whereas this hack doesn't seem to have different difficulty modes. Don't get me wrong, Lunatic+ is unfair, luck-based bullshit through and through, but nothing's forcing you to play Lunatic+. This hack definitely seems way more fair than Lunatic+ though. I honestly think different difficulty modes is one of the best things a game can have, as people have differing preferences in difficulty and it's best to have different modes to account for the different tastes in difficulty. One of the problems I have with the Kaga era games is that only three of them have a different difficulty setting, and none of them actually really change the difficulty, they just make you level up twice as fast(FE2, FE5) or change the enemy AI(FE4).

Edited by Matthewtheman

It's cool. I hope I didn't come off as pressuring you to LP it, I only mentioned it because you were curious if there was a hack with a flier for a Lord and my hack technically qualified. In fact, if you ever do decide to LP it, I'd rather it be later rather than sooner because it gives me more time to improve it, and I'm actually really looking forward to your Midnight Sun LP and would rather that be your top priority for your next LP. But like I said, no pressure, it's totally up to you if and when you LP it or any other hack/game for that matter.

On-topic, holy shit those scenes were intense. I guess it'll be even longer still before Drake finally joins you, but I'm pretty sure he will eventually. Can't wait for the next update.

Don't worry, you're good. I will definitely keep it in mind for a future LP.

Yes and no.

How do I explain this without saying too much.... think of those two like Titania. But instead of being FE9, its more like she (they) are in FE7 HHM.

You are absolutely going to use them at the start of the game. But unlike Marcus the EXP they gain isn't a completely waste either, they still turn out pretty solid. Use them as you need to, don't be afraid to have them hold down areas in particularly tough maps, but slowly ween off of them.

Duly noted.

Honestly, I think Awakening Lunatic+'s forced reliance on pre-promotes was better than this hack's in that Awakening had other, easier difficulties you could try if you didn't want to have to use Frederick, whereas this hack doesn't seem to have different difficulty modes. Don't get me wrong, Lunatic+ is unfair, luck-based bullshit through and through, but nothing's forcing you to play Lunatic+. This hack definitely seems way more fair than Lunatic+ though. I honestly think different difficulty modes is one of the best things a game can have, as people have differing preferences in difficulty and it's best to have different modes to account for the different tastes in difficulty. One of the problems I have with the Kaga era games is that only three of them have a different difficulty setting, and none of them actually really change the difficulty, they just make you level up twice as fast(FE2, FE5) or change the enemy AI(FE4).

Yeah, I absolutely wasn't trying to compare the difficulty of this hack to Lunatic+ in any way. I like Fates's difficulty settings much better than Awakening's. For ROMhacks like this, adding difficulty settings is difficult if you want it to be more than stat buffs and can add many dev hours (at least, that's what I assume), so it's more out of necessity than anything... Of course, it would certainly be nice if this DID have difficulty settings!

Time to meet new people in...

The CHAPTER 4 PRELUDE!

QfoUnMc.png

The pacing of the story is going to slow down a bit, as we enter a more relaxed chapter. Not that it'll be a break, because it won't be.

mzWkkKW.png

Oh hey! Val and Stoic Guy spending some quality time.

4Qihg8E.png

Val x Kieran... Valran? Kival? Valky? VALKYRIE!

My new favorite pair is Valkyrie.

Val: I would have asked someone else, like my Aunt, but as you might have noticed, the recent events seem to have everyone on edge. There’s even tension building up within my family.

(Sadly, I accidentally overwrote an image here, so assume there was some totally amazing dialogue.)

Val: I see that you’re not much fazed by everything, though. I’m trying to become strong like that too. But I just can’t help but worry about things.

Kieran: …We’re almost back.

Val: Hm? Sorry, I was rambling a bit, wasn’t I? We have a lead for now. Once we make it to that stronghold, then we can start restoring a little bit of order in the group.

Kieran: …Right.

ZjIgOPM.png

Val: How are we all?

Ash: *tries to say something*

Josie: We’re good here. What did you find?

Val: There’s an old stronghold- it looks pretty well kept- to the north-east. We didn’t go inside, but it looks usable. The land looks easily defendable as well, so it might be a good place to start rebuilding something.

Josie: Rebuilding, eh?

lyxyWZq.png

Well, we shouldn't rebuild Olva in the Old Empire's lands... maybe we could at least get Ash and Florence rested?

Val: But as we currently are, we’re of no use to them. There must be some people willing to help us in these free lands, no?

zcbtp5W.png

Josie: You’re clearing up a lot of my doubts about you.

sUwH20A.png

Well... it was more the opposite of an insult...

Ash: … …

Val: What’s wrong, Ash?

Ash: …Nothing. I thought you might have been concerned about yesterday… but you seem fine.

Val: Of course I am. Now let’s head out. Kieran, lead the way, please.

faNhGrg.png

We're entering a map! And sure enough...

mGus7Pf.png

A small force of enemies is already here!

KVqjP3d.png

Who's this guy? He looks pretty enough to be recruitable.

Purple boss: What banner do they carry?

Soldier: None. But it’s the same dragon that flew over earlier. What should we do?

Purple boss: We can’t take any chances. (I think??? Text skip)

f1caAqc.pngRv8wwPb.png

We don't serve Egardia! Put down your stuff! We can be buds, right?

Purple boss: Give the signal!

aiwoUZz.png9LRH4nM.png

Val: Remember, you’ve got to speak up.

9Kdc7k2.pngp32QjyJ.png

Wow, Kieran. That's an eloquent speech for you!

ZPon6Xx.png

Ash: Did you see any soldiers before?

Val: We didn’t come back this way when we were returning. They must have set up after we passed over or something.

Ash: They must be well prepared. I guess it’s not just the stronghold that is suited for defense.

Val: Damn… getting to that place is our only hope. We need to get through.

3YmoXvr.png

Josie: us to make a move.

If they're waiting, we have options that aren't "CHARGE", but hey, we do have to get to the probably-recruitable guy somehow!

eFJswSU.png

Val: where you can. If we can get there, I’d like to talk to their leader. Maybe they can be reasoned with,

"Spare their soldiers where you can"

Maybe if FE7 had bonus EXP. But it doesn't, so the plan is to kill everyone, just like normal.

END DIALOGUE

Spoiler-map:

jcLAzzd.png

BOcpwVj.pngedbeXkQ.png

As you can see here, we're fighting the biggest number of enemies yet. The ballistae around would probably make it harder for Josie to swoop in and take out Kane, but it's hardly impossible. In doing that, though, we'd miss out on quite a lot of good things.

Also, while the story encourages us not to be too hard on these guys, take a look here:

HtaCko8.pngxEpsltN.png8Ym4MhH.pngrewuisI.pngv7wJfvw.pngxIyXjMi.pngx1qrjmn.png

That's some pretty good loot! The game is sending a conflicting message here though, since while the story tells us to be nice, gameplay mechanics tell us to be genocidal. It's inherent in FE's combat system (EXP!), but the good items don't help with that.

See, I could probably write a paragraph about the basic EXP mechanics of FE, and how they both negatively and positively affect the series as a whole, but I'm feeling lazy right now so I'll put it off until later.

kVnFCf0.png

Our enemies themselves make up a new faction, "Remnants". I'm sure we'll learn more about them once we kill them all.

FsPUvjN.png

One of them is packing a new weapon, a renamed Longbow.

q6QWnuT.pngqpEZmmG.png

And here we have Kane, looking more and more every second like a recruitable character. The objective of this chapter is "Talk to Kane", but not only does killing him work just as well, it's encouraged, since as far as I know it won't affect anything adversely later, but we get the Dragonshield!

Well, that pretty much sums up everything. Let's see how much of a fight the Remnants put up!

NEXT TIME: Slow advance

Yeah, I absolutely wasn't trying to compare the difficulty of this hack to Lunatic+ in any way. I like Fates's difficulty settings much better than Awakening's. For ROMhacks like this, adding difficulty settings is difficult if you want it to be more than stat buffs and can add many dev hours (at least, that's what I assume), so it's more out of necessity than anything... Of course, it would certainly be nice if this DID have difficulty settings!

Yeah, making difficulty settings with more changes than just giving the enemies higher stats would likely take a lot of work. But they could at least maybe make a Normal Mode where the enemies are weak enough that you don't have to use your prepromotes and a hard mode where enemies get stat boosts, like all of the GBA games have.

Btw, I have a tip for catching text skips. Make sure the message speed is set to slow or normal, and let the text scroll on its own rather than a button mash through it. You should be able to catch, most, if not all, text skips this way. I've been LPing GhebSaga, which is perhaps even worse regarding text skips than its predecessor, but I've managed to catch them all so far using this method.(in fact, the only text I've missed so far is some tutorial text I button mashed through on accident, none of which were text skips) This hack doesn't seem to have too many text skips, but it'll help you catch the few ones it does have, and any other ones in future LPs.

For the record: Val and Keiran do have a support together.

And ya, that whole "go easy on them" doesn't effect gameplay at all. Its just a way of saying "You're capturing them. With swords to the face. Don't question it."