TheMoniker plays: Fire Emblem Requiem

TheMoniker

Title  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should I play the one and only chapter of Alicia/Hector mode?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I'm finished with finals and I'm ready to take the holidays off. Hopefully I'll be able to get you more updates in the meantime!

You might want to lay a few offerings at Anna's shrine before attempting this chapter, because in my experience (although apparently I was just exceptionally unlucky), the RNG doesn't particularly like showing mercy here. My first two or three runs (before I managed to win) had poor Emilia being wiped before I got past the large room in the top right, so there was literally nothing I could do to help her - and I wasn't moving slow. My horses and fliers were just trying to shove their way through and leave the mopping up to anyone without a mount, and they still couldn't make it in time.

But then that's what the FE RNG likes doing, being sadistically unfair at times.

I can't remember for certain, but I believe you can talk to Emilia to change her AI package to "hold ground". If you can get to her, that'll make the rest of the chapter much simpler.

I didn't need to do any RNG abuse, thankfully. I might have gotten luck with the generic green combat, though.

Placing a lot of axe users near Emilia is a dick move, considering she doesn't start with a Double Spear. Even moreso if you make the only path leading to her extremely long. I had to RNG abuse so she didn't get killed. Yikes.

What I also don't like about this chapter is that the (generic portrait) boss starts moving after some turns. I had to unequip four of my guys and box the boss in so he doesn't suicide into someone in order to end the chapter. All in order to get a Member Card and a Body Ring xd

To be honest, I thought this chapter was pretty fun. It wasn't bad, by any means. But a lot of the design just felt awkward, for the reasons you mentioned.

Episode 18: Chapter 17: Part 1: Emilia vs Everyone

The first turn was just me cramming everyone into the 2-wide hallway, and the enemies walling me off. Let's skip right to the real fight that will decide this chapter, the NPCs we can't control!

3SMag0K.png3BhV7yc.pngB09IzaU.png

They aren't good decision makers, and the enemies far outnumber the six of them. They're in big trouble already!

UndLNtU.png

Oh, reinforcements! Emilia's probably with them, too.

brutm7U.png

Emilia: our position here for a while. …Although that’s much easier said than done, clearly. But I will not abandon the people of Olva again. Not like this. Goddess protect me.

Easier said than done indeed, and Goddess Anna protect her indeed. Her dialogue really reflects the position she's in.

7sH3ehJ.png

The greenies are looking a bit better with the new cannon fodder... just a bit. Let's look at Emilia.

Pt2BCiV.pngyStowR4.pnggXVYSxG.png

Her stats are good. VERY good, and well-rounded, too. I'll talk more about Emilia later, since we WON'T be recruiting her this chapter (don't worry, you'll see). but for now, the most important thing we need to know is that, while she can beat the enemies around her, she's in trouble if she gets swarmed.

8UBdR29.png

Also on the second turn, we IMMEDIATELY get these thieves. Believe it or not, they're actually going to make our lives easier, not harder! You won't see why for a while yet, though.

Let me just say that it is IMPOSSIBLE to stop them from getting those two chests. Well, maybe not impossible, but realistically infeasible, especially when you have more important objectives (read: Emilia). They'll still drop the items they take, though.

cxMFp2x.png

Look at how far we up compared to last turn. The myrmidons ALREADY threw a wrench in things, and now we'll have the knights and mage blocking us too! At least the area up ahead is a bit more open.

Well, how are things going with Emilia's crew?

ztfB7oZ.pngcVq6Lhg.pngtrQfAQl.png

Mmm... action-filled but not really good. Most of them are making poor decisions and attacking enemies they can't hit.

kyaNzfN.png

I should note that much of the enemies, on BOTH sides of the fort, are making a point of coming up to join in the fray. Any time the greenies seem to have things under control, a few more enemies will come in and mess their day up.

3s7vJVf.png

Oh, there's also more guys for us all to deal with. Great.

VXb60TG.png

Good, good.

YLre7zB.png

Maybe... maybe I can help the greenies out by luring some of the attacking enemies away? This is pretty much the best I can do when I'm this far away.

PHn6CDZ.png

Oh, speaking of which. We still have THIS MUCH to go before we actually make it to the greenies. A lot of it is empty space. Yeah.

6heWbl0.png

Speaking of greenies, it's Turn 4 and the enemies are gaining more of an advantage every move.

GODdhGG.pngWK31jTv.png4iI966c.png

I just don't get them sometimes!

7eF79mS.png

At least Emilia has joined the fray. She should be helpful, and as long as her and the minions are working together Emilia isn't in any danger.

lWRBOwS.png

Here's how things are looking. I'm still moving up as fast as I can go (which ISN'T FAST ENOUGH), the greenies are down to like 6 guys from the 10 they got, and the big bunch of enemies on the bottom is looking more imposing all the time.

Also, that green dot at the top is an archer who, being a coward, ran away from the fight to desperately chug vulneraries in a corner. Get back into the fight, idiot!

YPcKSUU.png

Lure them out, we need to move fast!

cf9BvoD.pngSozln3G.png

Another turn of green slaughter (it hurts to watch...) later, we get another event! Maybe it's something good for us?

6QMQWZq.png

Reddier: We’ve spotted another force come to aid the militia. They’re on the other side of the fort.

Dante: Oh? I’m not going to let the others stand in the way of my target again, no matter who they are. Get some people around to the western entrance and then we’ll begin our frontal assault.

Reddier: Yes sir!

JyACFB3.png

Dante: this fort. Her life will be mine.

Does he mean Kendrick? The guy who drove him off before? If so, then that explains Dante going after Emilia...

uPFKPzv.pngahkXrXm.png

The green troops are a scattered shell of what they were, and I don't even know how long that will last. I'm still getting closer, but if that bottom door opens before I can make it, we're in HUGE trouble.

q387B14.png

I wanted to save that fighter, since he was literally right around the corner, but... it just wasn't feasible!

Nd4Fbqj.png

Well, our one allied mage is gone.

ztWCeoS.pngoxd8Vzb.pngpCMhsa0.png

The thieves grab some VERY GOOD loot that we definitely want. They won't get away with this!

ESdqEeI.png

Things have pretty much calmed down on the allied front. It's mostly just a knight trying(and failing) to stop some myrms this turn.

NEbexr5.pngYvNcqoV.pngBXxRpdm.png

Yikes. Turn 6, we're still getting closer to the green position, but... there really isn't an army left to save any more! Just Emilia.

tyuWiwr.png

Another turn later (my part was just moving my troops around a corner of the map as fast as I could... and still not going fast enough...), it's Emilia vs a whole bunch of myrms. This is good; not only will she beat them since she's a lance user, she's in a good position for us to talk to her sooner.

HCoGdGC.png

Speaking of talking, while continuing to shove my units forward, I can talk!

ptJD0P2.png

Val: Sir Ordanze? You’re not with Lady Laraya?

Ordanze: She deemed it better that I stay with your group.

Val: Oh… I… suppose you’re not too pleased with that decision, are you?

Ordanze: I questioned it, but I’m not one to complain.

Val: Okay then. We’re glad to have you here, Ordanze.

Ordanze: Thank you, Lady Valentine. If you need me to do something, don’t be afraid to ask.

Val: Right.

I like these little character-building conversations. They're a nice distraction from all the death around me.

NfJJmVO.png

Ow! Of course trying to be fast would get me killed...

GasWusZ.png

Next turn, I make sure Emilia is the one doing the sword-fighting.

AqVL5ww.png

Some cavaliers show up. I... doubt that's a good sign.

uIoWeym.png

STAAAR JAVELIN! And it critted, too!

fk2enBZ.png

Okay, we're poised to kill these losers, and get a siege tome and promotion item for ourselves!

9klswXh.png

Wait wait wait WHAT ARE YOU

hnesfac.png

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

zQKLXYR.png

GOSH, IT'S A GOOD THING EMILIA CAN'T KILL THESE THIEVES, WHICH ISN'T SOMETHING THAT HAPPENED IN THE PAST EVER, DEFINITELY

(Seriously, why!? Thieves are supposed to escape, not fight the strongest opponent they possibly can!)

76zmOIw.png

Oh, and trust me, that is NOT the most annoying thief. Let's not forget THIS IDIOT, who cracks open the door and lets the whole bottom group inside. Yeah, just as we make it in, things are going to get bad again. At least we can keep Emilia safe.

Re4T30A.png

A mage also shows up over here. That suddenly gets me wondering... what if you got the Impulse from the thieves and used it to kill the thief before he could open the door? Could you stop the flow of the chapter in its tracks? Probably. I don't want to try it, though.

nK0Eoh9.png

Edward's started working on the top chest room. Top-tier weapons are always nice to see.

ZkoQ7l5.png4eHk3JO.png

The thieves are DOWN. Thank goodness.

VvdPTny.png

Okay, I'll talk to Emilia, then we'll finish this update up!

GMkhKGP.png6eenLsL.png

Emilia: Valentine… you actually came.

Val: I’m so glad to see you. But let’s focus. You were evacuating the villagers, right? Are they safe?

Emilia: Oh, yeah. We have them locked up tight further back in the fort.

Val: Good. And are you alright? You’re not hurt at all?

Emilia: Y-Yeah, I’m fine.

Val: Just to be on the safe side, you should just stay here and let my people handle this. Understood?

Emilia: Got it.

XbU3GzF.png

Lz9jfnJ.png

This DOESN'T recruit Emilia. However, she will head to the back of the fort and chill out there with the coward archer, away from the enemies. She's done enough fighting. We'll handle all those bottom enemies on our own.

NEXT TIME: Going REALLY out of our way to get chests

Oh. So in your case Dante is the boss here. If you kill him AAAAALL the way back in chapter... 11 or something (which I did), he gets replaced by a generic assassin boss, but I think they have pretty similar stats. Also, Dante drops a Rogue Crest (or he should...). If you really want to use it, you should do it ASAP I think. Edward it's not that useful in this game since there aren't many chests and doors remaining, and he doesn't even promote to Assassin, so...

When I played this chapter, Emilia thought it was a smart idea to go left and charge all the bow and axe users. I had to do lots of rescue and RNG shenanigans.

Much like others have said: not a bad level but an awkward one. Too long of a path to get to the NPCs.

RNG is RNG, generally I show up just as the last of the bulkiest NPCs are going down. Only lost Emilia once, think it would have been better if she had an Axeslayer instead of a Killer Lance. Tend to have to do something risky to stop the last thief but as long as there's a good flier going that way it normally works out.

Bottom door for me always opens at the worst possible time. Though the first time I played this map on an earlier patch the bottom enemies refused to move until I got into their range. Made the map a whole lot easier but also kinda boring. Not a bad map idea, think it should have been less of a slog to get to the middle, make up for that with more reinforcements coming from the left path. Maybe one small wave showing up through the right path after like 5 turns.

Oh. So in your case Dante is the boss here. If you kill him AAAAALL the way back in chapter... 11 or something (which I did), he gets replaced by a generic assassin boss, but I think they have pretty similar stats. Also, Dante drops a Rogue Crest (or he should...). If you really want to use it, you should do it ASAP I think. Edward it's not that useful in this game since there aren't many chests and doors remaining, and he doesn't even promote to Assassin, so...

When I played this chapter, Emilia thought it was a smart idea to go left and charge all the bow and axe users. I had to do lots of rescue and RNG shenanigans.

If we were to kill him a while back, we'd be fighting a weaker boss this chapter? That's actually really interesting! I wonder if the dialogue would be different.

Much like others have said: not a bad level but an awkward one. Too long of a path to get to the NPCs.

RNG is RNG, generally I show up just as the last of the bulkiest NPCs are going down. Only lost Emilia once, think it would have been better if she had an Axeslayer instead of a Killer Lance. Tend to have to do something risky to stop the last thief but as long as there's a good flier going that way it normally works out.

Bottom door for me always opens at the worst possible time. Though the first time I played this map on an earlier patch the bottom enemies refused to move until I got into their range. Made the map a whole lot easier but also kinda boring. Not a bad map idea, think it should have been less of a slog to get to the middle, make up for that with more reinforcements coming from the left path. Maybe one small wave showing up through the right path after like 5 turns.

Yeah, if I had to list the main problem with the chapter it would've been the long path to the middle area. It's not that it's a challenge to get there in time so much as you not having much control over how fast you get there. A shorter path with more enemies on it would've been more interesting.

Requiem: Episode 18: Chapter 17: Part 2: Vs Dante

Vr9kpyw.png

Just to remind you all, we've just talked to Emilia, so she's going to head over to the back now. This leaves us to face the approaching bottom cluster of enemies on our own.

hKya92l.png

Oh, and the few scattered enemies on the left are coming too. Even worse, the thief who opened the door earlier is NOW going to go and loot the left chest room! This isn't as much of a bad thing as you might initially think, though.

i5o6CVz.png

Oh, speaking of chests. Now we need to ferry Edward to get the rest of the loot.

Pl5Py2x.png

I try to lure out some of the enemies, but a bunch of them just waltz right past us back to Emilia. Of course they do. Looks like she isn't getting a break yet.

83XpELC.png

We are NOT catching this guy. I'm not even sure if it's possible to off him before he gets to the chests! Without Impulse, of course.

Srl3OQH.png

Beautiful. Katarina becomes more awesome all the time.

AiLLeP1.png

This is really a dilemma. I want to kill all the enemies to keep Emilia from having to fight too much more. But if I do that, I'll leave my own units too exposed and they could die.

vlF6f8y.png

Even with Ash at the back, he STILL almost died. I mean, phew, that could have gone WAY worse than it did!

Zw7td0M.png

The coward archer, who hung out at the back the whole fight, finally got what was coming to him.

K2x4OIg.png

Some enemies attack Katarina. What were they thinking?!

ozCdynW.png

Ash, come on. Be a better lord. If you're going to get one stat, make it speed or something you really need.

Yjcgdpi.png

Bad news: We have a lot of enemies to deal with. Good news: If we make it through, we just have to kill Dante's squad and we're done!

ZlTlRn8.pngSsHFuTk.png

Mopping up here is giving us a lot of levels. I'm very grateful. I don't think we're going to be able to start dishing out the promotion items for another chapter or two, though.

Zc4pesE.png

I love how these fighters get weighed down by their axes. Even Ash can double them!

ZgcVRPe.pngoyUBA6m.png

Emilia does her part, and the enemy makes her pay. She survived the turn with that one hitpoint you can see right there.

YRmULj0.png

Hopefully we can at least prevent the boss from getting to her.

LEK3PRI.png1cpdi9z.png

The thief loots a body ring, and Dante's squad is now coming for us too.

kcTxSdA.png

A body ring AND a member card? We absolutely need both of those things, but the chapter ends when Dante dies, and he's coming RIGHT at us! We'll have to stall him somehow... but we can't just run away, because that puts Emilia in danger! Grr...

vJdr4TM.png

Alright, for now we'll try to fish out his mooks. Reducing their numbers will reveal the answer.

zbv4A0E.png

Why so many crit weapons? I barely noticed! I'm lucky Kieran didn't die horribly!

ggSLOpH.png

Alicia gets another great level. She's going to pull ahead of the rest of the team, most likely.

3yTubAq.png

We'll wall off Dante with our lance users. Let's just hope nobody accidentally kills him...

hwNzzYv.png

Dante: Prepare to die.

Now for the EPIC BATTLE between Kieran and Dante!

Xq46ywv.png

1ph1eGH.png

v6lJSKZ.png

Considering the situation, this is honestly the best outcome we could've hoped for!

MyyqPAX.png

The thief stole 2 items. If we kill him, he only drops one. Luckily, Edward here is fast enough that we can get both the items!

yDIRznB.png

Next time, Kane takes him on. They both hit each other this time, and Kane gets doubled, but everybody's alive.

HHTVli3.pngIUMsrls.pngrt0fpta.png

I harvest the lockpick (Edward's is running out) and finish with the nearest unit. Now, it's time to kill this loser!

4mgLwVn.png

Dante: I suppose loyalty means nothing to you, does it?

Alicia: …I don’t need to explain myself to the likes of you. And don’t you talk to me about loyalty, assassin. You’re only loyal to whoever puts the gold in your hand.

Dante: I see that this conversation is coming to an end. I’m not going to fail this time, Alicia.

Zql7duO.png

Alicia puts him on the verge of death. As usual, we'll be giving the boss kill to someone who needs EXP. Now, let's see here. I think a good candidate would be Drake.

3gQu4by.png

Or, alternatively, how about Ordanze?

wONNqfH.png

You can't be mad, Drake! I gave you a chance!

H8GIYEN.pngkzSbVyc.png

Ordanze absorbs the assassin's speed and skill, and we are DONE with this chapter!

dJRgKtX.png

We also get this for Edward. Maybe I should promote him early like you guys are saying, he isn't easy to train and he's not gaining much from it...

NEXT TIME: Emilia and the family officially reunite!

I'd say promote anyone once they hit level 18, Edward probably as soon as 15. Lords forced promotion is coming soonish btw.

Forced promotion? Thanks for letting me know! I'd promote the others at 18, but... EFFICIENCY!

I must do it at 20. I. MUST.

Also, two updates in ONE day? How long has it been since I've done this? Well, I'm trying to do more updates for you to finish this off on a good note, so here we go! Let's see if I can keep this up...

The CHAPTER 17 CONCLUSION!

9EqDrfI.png

Val: We did it. If these mercenaries are this tough, I’m a little uneasy about the Egardian soldiers themselves.

ZugJPZj.png

Are we going to make it to the main resistance front? This whole thing was unexpected, story-wise.

Ash: Will we be able to make it to reinforce the others?

Val: …I’m not sure. If we try and hurry ourselves to them, we’ll only be a hindrance with how tired we’ll be. But we don’t have much time.

Ash: Well… look, if we hadn’t come here, there’s no way

FDYBpwf.png

No way WHATSOEVER.

Ash: The militia wanted to do their best to protect these villagers and now that’s exactly what must be done.

Val: …Thanks, Ash.

Ash: Anyway, you should go and check up on Emilia and the others.

Val: I should? Are you not coming?

Ash: …No, I’d rather stay out here.

Ash, this is like, what, the third time you've tried to not make up with people you've wronged in the past? TALK to people during these whole reuniting parts!

Val: Ash…

Ash: Just go on.

Val: Alright…

Val sulks off...

GAfiVhZ.png

Ash: You understand my reasons, then?

Alicia: Oh… sure, I understand the reasons you’ve given. But I wonder what’s really on your mind.

Ash: …What?

Alicia: Come on, Ash. I’ve opened up to you.

SR6W8Z8.png

Come on, Ash. Tell her about how you're going to turn into a zombie and die! It'll be so easy!

Ash: … …

Alicia: Ash, seriously. I have a lot on my mind, but I’m still worried about you.

Ash: Alicia…

Alicia: I’m not embarrassed to say that.

lGZHulG.png

He actually did.

What's interesting is, Ash won't open up to Val or Josie, but he will tell Alicia this stuff. I need to get their A support.

Alicia: Time?

Ash: I’m not sure how much longer I can keep this curse at bay. It’s been getting worse.

Alicia: …I see. So that’s why you asked me that at the beach. And that’s why you said you were glad that Valentine doesn’t need you anymore.

Ash: …Yes.

Alicia: So, what, you are giving up on all this?

Ash: No, of course not. But, Alicia, if anything does happen to me-

Alicia: Stop. I don’t want to hear that right now. …We’re going to Olva.

MYuVRnD.png

Alicia: and we’re going to get some answers, right?

We can only hope. Let's see Emilia, the strong-yet-doomed soldier.

A3Rmw35.pngU05g78U.png

..."a few"

Emilia: trying to defend ourselves. But the villagers are all safe, so I can be proud of that much, at least. We couldn’t have done it without you guys coming to our rescue.

Andrei: Hey, it’s no problem, right, Val?

Val: Well, of course, we’re glad to have been of help. But Em, we had originally split our forces into two to reinforce your people on your defence line. …I’m not sure if we’ll be able to make it back to them, after this.

Emilia: …I see.

qqmWEfr.png

A SECRET PLAN?

Emilia: They’re just stalling, and if I know Kenrick and the others, they’re not going to get themselves killed so easily. They’re the reason we’ve stayed out of harm’s way all this time.

Oh, they're stalling.

Val: Kenrick? …I feel like I’ve heard that name somewhere before.

Emilia: I’m sure you have. He’s the son of Lord Newent, one of the Great Knights of Olva.

Val: Ahh… yes, that was it.

j4tXMu9.png

Uh oh. Are they going to go Pent and Louise or be horribly split up?

Val: Huh?

Andrei: What!?

Val: W-When did you… um…

Emilia: Sometime last summer. But… well, then the war came.

Val: R-Right… I had no idea, though. But, I’m glad to hear it.

Emilia: Thanks… anyway… You’re here… Andrei’s here… I thought I saw Ash as well. Was I mistaken?

Andrei: Yeah, he’s here. We found him in Egardia, just like you guys told us.

Emilia: Ah, that’s good. But then… where is he now?

Val: Well… I think he’s worried that you might be angry at him. You know, because of what happened the last time you two saw each other. But you’re not, right?

Emilia: Oh…

Val: …You can forgive him, right?

He DID kill your ally miniboss and a bunch of soldiers...

ATlHCeI.png

Sheesh. Everyone forgives Ash VERY easily. I mean, he goes through a lot of other suffering, but I haven't seen any characters not forgive him once he changes back to the good side.

Emilia: …Well, I should probably go and talk to him, before I get these villagers on their way. Do you mind?

Val: Sure, go ahead. We’ll help tend to the people here.

Emilia: Thanks.

aSWXiEH.png

NLUyt1N.png

Ash: E-Emilia… What is it?

Emilia: Well, I’d just finished talking to Val and Andrei. I was wondering why you didn’t come along as well.

Ash: W-Well… You know…

Emilia: …Look, I don’t know how others are going to feel, but I’m not going to hold it against you. I could tell that you were doing it against your own will. You didn’t even try and talk things out with me, as I’m sure you would have liked to. …That being said, I can’t just forget about it.

Emilia: …I lost a good friend that day. But I know he’d be glad to know that in the end, he might have died for the

tMYT2B4.png

Emilia: could take the country back with Valentine.

Ash: …Right.

Come on, Ash. Surely you can think of a better response. This is an important moment, here.

3Auam7n.pngtwlhUzQ.png

Well, at least SOMEBODY'S helping Ash not be a recluse. Is his reclusiveness affected by his imminent death? Is he going "all I can't be too close to them" or something?

Emilia: Haha… She’s right you know, I would have appreciated that. It’s something of a start now, isn’t it?

Emilia: …Alicia.

Alicia: Hm?

Emilia: You worked for Lord Bran. They tried to have you killed.

Alicia: Yeah… that’s right.

Emilia: Hmmm…

*offscreen*: Hey!

AbXSam9.png4JMtDaH.png

Josie: She’s going to want to hear this.

Josie doesn't even give them time to respond, she just heads on up.

56ym4EI.png

Val: What happened out there.

Josie: Laraya and I were reached the fort we were heading to, but we didn’t meet much resistance. We dealt with a small scouting party, but that’s about it.

Ash: That’s odd…

Josie: I flew ahead to take a look at the other stronghold, but when I arrived there was no sign of either army. It looked like a battle had been fought, however. And a bloody one, at that.

Val: No…

Josie: I didn’t manage to find the trail of any survivors, but boy, am I glad to see you guys didn’t head up that way.

15IPaFs.png

Emilia: Which stronghold did you come from, Josie?

Josie: Emilia?

Emilia: Please, tell me.

Uh oh...

Josie: From Celes.

RceDV5x.png

Val: Em, what’s wrong?

Emilia: … That’s where Kenrick was.

RclpbZW.png

Val: But there must have been some survivors, right, Aunt Josie?

Josie: …Mm. I’m sure there must have been.

Emilia: *Sniff* Y-Yes, you’re right? But I just need to… you know?

That was fast! Considering the situation, I can see two outcomes:

1: Emilia and Kendrick are split up forever and everything is horrible

2: Emilia's really distraught but Kendrick comes in and makes a big entrance sometime later on.

Come to think of it, we never got any sort of body...

Sg9O8L6.png

We'll deal with the emotional trauma in a minute. We have other stuff to discuss.

Val: Anyway, where’s Lady Laraya?

Josie: She’s on her way. Like I said, we didn’t find much trouble on our path. You guys, however…

Val: Yes, we had quite a battle. After hearing your news, I suppose the best thing to do is rest here for a while, and then make our move on the capital.

ym9SbmC.pngm62nay0.png

We've rescued the resistance, done some other fights... and we're WAY too far in the game to fight generic village attackers any more. Yup, it's time to follow FE8 and take our home back!

Before we end, we're going to have one more calm scene...

WNtipez.pngjcWkdIO.png

Val: Are you feeling a bit better?

Emilia: I suppose so. Until I have some sort of confirmation, I don’t want to believe that he’s gone. So I’ll hold onto that hope in my heart.

Val: hehehe…

Emilia: What?

o4sZgvM.png

Again, this hack gets its relationships down really well! This line right here is cute.

Val: But now I remember… Us two used to say things like that a lot, back during the Great War.

Emilia: Yeah, we did.

Val: Em, listen to me.

ok1fEMZ.png

Val: It will be a harsh road for us, from then on.

Emilia: Yeah.

Val: If… by some chance my brothers and I do not survive the march, I’ll have to leave everything in your hands.

Emilia: What?

This makes me think about the group leader position in Andrei's hands. I don't think it'd be good.

Val: You and those villagers, and anyone else that’s left must leave the country as soon as possible and try to make contact with my Uncle, understood?

Emilia: Val, come on, don’t say things like that.

Val: I’m sorry. But I have to think about these kind of things, now.

Emilia: Then let me come with you.

8CFA024.png

Emilia: The second was attacked and who knows where, now. I’d much rather come along this time to make sure that nothing goes wrong, you know?

Val: …Well, when you say it like that, I suppose I can’t deny you, can I?

Emilia: That’s right.

Val: When I lost my father, my mother – even when I thought Ash was gone, I almost lost the will to go on. I’m glad you’re not like me, in that regard.

Emilia: For what’s it worth, I think you’re still the stronger woman, Val. Anyway, I’ll send some of my soldiers on the way with the villagers, and then we’re going to take our country back.

Val: Right.

t7Kif7m.png

Everything is taken care of. Next time, we'll begin two chapters that are sort of the same chapter in two parts, where we retake Olva and defeat Bran. Be looking forward to it!

...After Christmas. I probably won't be able to get any updates out on the 24th or 25th, and now's the best time to leave off. I don't want to give you a prelude on the 24th and then have you all forget by the next update. I haven't been conscious about that sort of thing lately, and I'm going to try to keep that in mind a bit more.

So, see you all next time!

I hope you all had a merry christmas! Now, things are back to update mode:

The CHAPTER 18 PRELUDE!

whGkeeo.png

Reddier: We’ve received reports of the resistance’s movements.

XzUAzq2.png

Reddier: B-But my lord…

Bran: I said, enough!

sknRRn0.png

Reddier: Y-Yes, my lord!

zHF7Ipa.png

Bran seems unusually demotivated today. Maybe it's the after-christmas blues.

Matthias: Is that what all of that ambition you had was worth?

Bran: Shut your mouth! Because of you and Legato, the one thing upholding my ambition is gone!

1TWF64i.png

Alicia? What exactly was the relationship between these two?

Matthias: You’ll still continue to believe that?

Bran: She would not betray me.

Matthias: Very well. Oh… before I go. I had sent our forces to quell the rebels in the east. However, it looks like the plans were cut short by a

ILzFLAd.png

Matthias: that’s what the report was.

Bran: She’s… come back to kill me, then?

Matthias: It is assumed that her brother are with her, and it is said that Tiomaran forces are with them as well.

Bran: Tiomare?

Matthias: Do you see what your mercy has brought you? You chastised the Lord of Olva for doing so, and yet failed to follow your own words. So tell me… are you going to let the two daughters of the men that nearly destroyed your house take your head with no resistance?

Bran: … …

lrEGDJf.png

Matthias is being a huge jerk to his own father. Though, I do recall Alicia voicing concerns that Bran was being controlled by this dark magic stuff a while back. It doesn't look like that's what going on, though.

Matthias: Alicia is with them.

Bran: What… did you say?

Matthias: You heard me. So, either they have her captive, or this will be her final gift to her new masters.

LN2X8yD.png

Bran: We’re going-

Matthias: Legato took a majority of our soldiers north to ambush

eXQHRsD.png

The Northern Isles? Hey, Rayden!

Matthias: As things are, we will have to put up a solid defense.

Bran: Grr… So, they really did come after all. Fine then!

Matthias: I will handle the exterior, and I trust you can do something about the interior.

Bran: Alicia…

Matthias: *Sigh*

ogcVmEV.png

Now, we get back to our heroes...

JQpiHZM.png

Andrei: This isn’t the Verona I remember at all. Where are all the people?

Vo5SfoI.png

Val: This was done recently…

Oh no.

UB5msbQ.png

Clean up, Egardia! You'll have a plague on your hands if you don't take care of hygiene!

jqZWv4Y.png

Val: Goddess…

Josie: As bad as it looks, you’ve got to look past that right now. If you don’t stay focused, we won’t win the battle that’s coming up.

Val: …I understand.

TvHzwr8.png

Alicia: I can’t believe Lord Bran would let something like this go by!

I don't know, Alicia...

Andrei: After today, it won’t be happening anymore at all.

Val: …Right.

Ash: Listen, you two… I know how you must be

QA7dw8E.png

Andrei: …You’re kidding, right?

He might have valuable exposition for us!

Ash: No, I’m not. I have my doubts that Bran had anything to do with all of this. But he may know a lot about everything that’s happened.

Andrei: He killed our father. And he’s the one who ordered the attacks on all our countries. Even if he wasn’t involved in this, he’s not getting away from that.

Val: Ash… I know that Alicia is your friend, but what he did-

Ash: I know what he did! I was there with Father, remember? But killing Bran here won’t help us later.

Alicia: Ash, you don’t need to spare my feelings here. I already told you that I was ready to do this.

Ash: It’s not just about that!

Val: Then what is it about, Ash?

Ash: I… just…

Val: If we manage to defeat him, do you really believe he’ll yield to any demands you might have?

Our heroes are too heroic to try offering him a torture-free death, so that's a legitimate concern.

Ash: That’s…

QyS9oKx.png

Josie: Let him get whatever information he wants first. Is that fair to everyone?

Val: …Well, alright.

Ash: … … …Mm.

Josie: Good. I’m going to check with our other groups around the city and see if they’ve found anything.

jiDpnWL.png

There's really been no resistance so far? If the city has outer walls or anything like that, wouldn't we have a battle there?

Val: Alicia… could you come along with me?

Bonding time? It's kind of a bad time for it though, what if Bran's dispatched an advance unit or assassins?

Z7Cl8yX.png

Val: that, back there. I can’t imagine what must be going through your mind.

Alicia: Yeah, well…

Val: If you want to go back to him, I won’t judge you for it.

Alicia: Really, I’m fine.

Val: But… you’ve sworn your service to him, haven’t you?

Alicia: Didn’t Ash tell you? I’m not an Egardian anymore. I’m an exile, a nobody… I have nothing to my name, so as far I’m concerned, it’s better that I side with you guys.

I honestly wonder if there's any chance we could settle this non-violently... probably not.

Val: You… have nothing? What about a family, or friends?

Alicia: …No. Nothing like that. Although I suppose you could say that I have this one opportunity to see the Lord Bran, for the last time.

Val: I see. I really am starting to see why Ash speaks so highly of you, Alicia.

9KsbW19.png

Alicia: Thanks. Anyway, we done with the gate?

if5NQ5I.png

Alicia: Listen… Whether we bring Lord Bran into this or not, don’t forget about the big picture. When you have Olva back, that won’t be the end of all this.

gcgX7JY.png

We still have other plot threads to resolve, like evil sorceror man!

Val: …I know. I just don’t want Ash to let Bran say anything that might get into his head. He seems like he’s in a bad place, right now.

Alicia: I’ll make sure nothing happens to him, milady. I’ll protect him. That’s a promise.

Val: Alicia… Thank you.

JjzpH6c.png

Val: Something’s not right.

BhUD8CL.png

Ash: have enough soldiers that they don’t need to hole up inside the castle to survive.

Alicia: If that’s the case, then what should we do? We need to get to that castle in order to do anything for ourselves.

Val: Well, we can’t just sit here. We’ll just have to draw out their ambush and defeat it. Let’s move forward.

So, in order to draw out the ambush, all four of our army-vital lords decide to advance forward into enemy territory alone!

F4yNBSA.pngBEDRsYN.png

And then they meet the boss. Luckily, everybody's bad tactical decisions are going to cancel each other out, since neither Hale's going to happily retreat back to the end of the map and we aren't going to bother attacking.

Commanderman: We’ve been expecting you!

fvAAA8k.png

Commanderman: That’s correct. I’m sure you must be wondering whereabouts all the cityfolk are, aren’t you?

Val: What did you do to them!?

Commanderman: Well, when we leaked news of your return to the country, they all got pretty rowdy. We couldn’t have that now, could we? So we decided to make a bit of noise for ourselves, just to make a little statement.

I like hating this guy. He's so enthusiastic about evil.

Val: How dare you…

Andrei: You bastard! They were just innocent people!

*offscreen* Innocent?

JLaOFaC.pngTohFmem.png

Matthias shows up! Well, we know he's of the Hero class now, unless he's actually one of the generic fighters. We won't be fighting him this chapter, though.

Matthias: helping those of the militia undermine our authority this whole time. They are the ones you are fighting for, aren’t they? They have no claim to innocence.

Val: You… I know who you are.

Matthias: Consider yourself honored, then. …Now, Hale, do your duty and kill every last one of them.

Alicia: Wait!

DIyXxDP.png

No mercy, yikes.

2WaR3Al.pngmlpbWqH.png

Well, you might be a bit better off if you advanced with more than just your four lonely selves!

Andrei: Then we’ll just fight our way out, like Val said!

3ketrtJ.png

Oh good, Josie's here. In-game this translates to a fifth deployment spot on their side.

Josie: The bastards were hiding out in the town houses. They’re all over the place.

Alicia: This could be tough…

END DIALOGUE

ZVTQClm.png

Okay, this.. Chapter 18x... is more of a build-up to the next chapter. It's not particularly tough and we aren't fighting anybody really story-important, but there's a lot of enemies and we'll get some loot and levels, as well as a new opportunity to use Olva's shops!

6T1fkOu.png

Emilia's joined our team now, and brought with her a knight crest (note: not shown). Depending on when I find another crest for her (we have 2 crests total and, counting her, 3 units that need them) will decide whether or not I make use of her. She's very strong at the start, 2 levels above the others, and can be promoted right out the gate if you want. I'll talk more about her at growths time.

4kxtbYM.png

Here's our team! We're not going to be able to start dishing out the promotion items QUITE yet... BUT SOON.

Bhet07o.png

It's been a while since I've shown this, hasn't it? It's still the same as when you saw it last. 3 survival stars for some reason, and terrible tactics. Honestly, even in normal FE7, anybody going for a good tactics rating would've had to sacrifice supports anyways.

l7xLDpz.pngCa1gl6v.png

This level splits us up into two groups. Technically, the deployment of all four of our lords isn't required, but I'm doing it anyways. Our goal is to get them to meet up so we can push forward together. They aren't far, thankfully.

Let's start the chapter!

S9XvUVj.png6s0mKGf.png

Val: You’ve already asked me to hold off on one person, Ash! I’m not letting this one go!

Ash: Alright… I understand, but don’t just go rushing at him.

Val: I’m angry, Ash, not stupid!

Val's strong enough she might win that fight at this point, though. If I gave her some salves/elixirs, at least.

mv4Qu5O.png

aJd22z4.png

Alright. The toughest part about this chapter is the start, since both groups have enemies pushing on them from multiple sides. Later on, the bottom part of the map clears itself out pretty fast and then the top part is the problem, since there's going to be a bunch of reinforcements from that end. Hale is hanging out ALLLL the way at the top, and we need to finish him to end things.

SPOILER-MAP:

abgnT8x.png

LxOJaVe.png

We have an annoying enemy Impulse user to deal with. We could assassinate him were we fast, but it's honestly not worth the effort. He doesn't move, at least.

5xufg7o.png

Oh, and Almer is in danger right away. Better be careful!

TD09Znc.png2k8Pn43.pngekmtrQ7.png

We have a couple weapons up for grabs, though we don't need them.

42FuWd5.pngnlubaT5.png

Hale is pretty much a prelude fight to Bran, being more-or-less a weaker version of him. He carries the powerful Hero Spear, a brave weapon, which makes him dangerous and able to make up for his low speed. We will actually fight him this time, though. I don't think there's many more retreating bosses for the rest of Ash mode.

Of course, we'll be handling all this next time. See you then!

I'll post Emilia's growths together with the growths of one other character we'll get this chapter, for convenience.

Edited by TheMoniker

Make sure not to have a Lord enter the red house on the lower left.

...Okay? I didn't do that, but now I'm curious.

Requiem: Episode 19: Chapter 18: Part 1: The Ruined City

qszNyAy.png

To start... we have a Val/Ash support! I mean, now's a good time for it, right?

X8CqU1i.png

Val: Oh… how are you, brother?

Ash: Ha… “brother” is it now?

Val: Listen to me, Ash. I’ll treat you as normal in public, but… I can’t just let the things you’ve hidden from me go lightly.

Ash: …How long should I expect you to be bitter about this, then?

Val: I’m not being bitter. After everything you’ve done, I just can’t look at you in the same way.

nJ9DauG.png

Ash: If that’s not bitter, I don’t know what is.

Val: Before Andrei came along, you and I spent almost all of our time together. I’ve always thought that I could trust you with anything. When our father died, you promised me… we all did, that we were together in this. That meant my problems, were all of our problems, but that should have meant that your problems were mine too.

LFX9faM.png

This feels like it belongs a bit closer to when Val and Ash met up, by that's my own fault more than anything. Ash is super cagey, now more than ever since he's hollowing.

Val: That you chose to try and do it on your own, and even worse, leave us behind.

Ash: Val… are you saying that you’re angry at me?

Val: No, I’m not.

Ash: Denial.

wmidMsr.png

Wow, Ash, stop being a jerk. You siblings are supposed to not have these petty squabbles.

Val: You know how much I care for you, Ash! You’ve always been the one to reassure me. When we realized that you were gone, I was lost. I… don’t know how to feel. Part of me just wants to hit you and shout at you, but the other part of me loves you too much to do anything.

Ash: I’m sorry. I realise how much I’ve hurt you, I really do. But know that I had my reasons.

Val: I know that.

Ash: Also… we’re back together now, aren’t we?

Val: Ash… I’m not angry.

Ash: I believe you. Don’t worry.

Val: Ash… I’ve just missed you so much.

Ash: Of course, of course.

W6C7LJe.png

Val: I never imagined I’d see you fight like this.

hHnmSSi.png

All right! Let's ACTUALLY start now.

VWfl2Oj.png

This is my formation on the bottom. I'm trying to keep the squisher guys safe so we can weather the initial storm.

aaATmVa.png

Andrei gets an excellent level. Which is good, since I have to keep that forced promotion in mind when playing.

D8IRu7p.png

He also gets injured. I keep trying to use the Flamberge against armored enemies, thinking it's like a Rapier, but it's only good against cavalry and it's messing me up!

1zqvPJY.png

Start of the third turn, I've lured out many of those nearby enemies. We just have to last a bit longer and we'll be fine.

3UmyiVn.png6ui1exd.png

As has gotten good. VERY good. Any regular enemy he can double with his limited speed dies, and he does good chip damage besides.

0x3JDCF.png

Get!

jrL0UpI.png

Alright, here's the plan. Kieran's setting off for that house, and to clear out the enemies in that area so I don't need to worry about them. Everybody else is going to head off to meet up with the four lords group up top. I'm pretty sure this map wants you to split into two groups and that's how you're supposed to play it, but there's no reason to do that at all, so I'll just keep everyone together.

VBLnoPj.pngte8Qacx.png

Magic missing all around. We're doing well.

IMLnU38.png0qQeRZr.png

Restock time! The armory has a great selection, including steel and super-effective versions of all physical weapon types. Who knows when we'll have another chance?

XzIw68L.png

Skye's having the most trouble with Impulse man, which is bad since he's in the top group and separated from the healer. Luckily, I try to keep vulneraries on my units just for situations like this where they could be injured.

dvGpK1e.png

It looks like the bottom and middle parts are almost clear! But that can't be it, can it? If nothing else happens, then we'll steamroll the top just as easily as we did the bottom.

FNLQDFu.png

Right on cue, of course...

Hale: Signal the soldiers in the barracks!

rNxNNKk.png

Trust me, things aren't going to be uneventful. I was initially confused and underwhelmed by the barracks, but these reinforcements won't stop coming for a while.

Of course, the REAL threat is the other thing you can see in this picture, a group of wyverns and pegasi that spawned next to the boss. I'll explain why later.

9dSWcw7.pngj8Jmv2D.png

The vendor also has a very varied selection, and I grab a bunch of stuff.

Hs2yRXc.png

There's even this staff. Restores HP to the allies in adjacent spaces? I'll try it out!

Me misunderstanding the wording...

DcKVhH0.png

Our first house! Let's go! I don't think this was the one TheNiddo warned me about, though...

QxDVLNW.png

Girl: Oh, I’m sorry. He got hurt by the bad men before, so I had

zJFb2TF.png

Sheesh, girl, you're too young for this.

fCfczDZ.png

This is breaking my heart! Why are you so cruel, Requiem?? I CAME FOR AN ITEM, NOT EMOTIONS!

ZoSqDvh.png

An elixir? That wasn't worth reading that! I should've just let a bandit destroy it or something, not that there are any in this chapter.

NxHr0q0.png

This hit. AXE MAGNETISM!

fHZW2dw.png

Val, at least, can keep moving forward. I'm having all my lords keep moving upwards to try to take more control of the map. The healers and the rest of the group aren't quite there yet, but what could go wrong?

nGFDyvJ.png

More reinforcements. As I said, it's not stopping soon.

jdd4znZ.png

Both sides are pretty much scattered about in a big weird train right now.

rbVU57e.png

This is the bottom-RIGHT house...

qIGJlQj.png

Guy: I don’t want to get caught, but here, take this. One of those soldiers in the house put it down for a second, so I swiped it and hid it away. Al-Alright, I gotta get going!

1AUzmB4.png

Thank you! Andrei actually already has one of these, but since we can't buy them, this is the next best thing!

DtL2FPd.png

So, what I THINK is supposed to happen is, you grab the door key from the knight down there (pretty sure he has one) and then you open the door and advance from two fronts, splitting up all the enemies from the barracks. The problem is, there's really no reason to do that. When the Impulse is exhausted early on, those two enemies will happily sit there and cause you no problems. The enemies from the barracks also won't bother coming down, because they don't know how to open this door and strike you from behind. I MIGHT have split into two if there was a house, but the nearest one is that bottom-left house I was warned about, which can easily be grabbed from the start.

So that's why me and the enemies are going to meet each other as one army, instead of two groups.

UASuRoq.png

Also! Let me explain why the pegasi are so threatening. Pegasi can't fly over walls. However, the design of this map uses FENCES. So these guys can happily soar over the walls and hit you a lot.

But, hey, we'll probably be fine! Right?

pOxat6Y.png

Yeah, we'll just, uh, lure them out...

7D6HJuW.pngJUgNqBt.png

Yikes! They caught me by surprise! I guess it was a bad idea to send the smaller group up ahead...

ShoppjA.png

Retreat! Retreat!

ddSySRI.png

Well, now we're really in over our heads. Luckily, the main group has almost caught up, so we'll finally be reunited!

fVPVyru.png

So... this is the house I was warned about? I'm pretty sure Kieran doesn't count as any sort of lord...

ksGpDY0.png

Offscreen: It’s alright, everyone.

Q6dCJmi.png

Wouldn't she say this to the lords?

Plot-important lady: It looks like our fates are entwined, after all. We’re both in one piece, after everything that’s happened, aren’t we? As you’ve been doing a fair bit of work for me, I’ve been doing the same in return for you, here. That tells me that we should continue to work together, moving forwards.

LGp5EWM.png

Alyssa: The name’s Alyssa, and… well, that’s all you really need to know.

kkR3y1V.png

And then... we get a dancer? How would this have gone wrong if a lord was present? Would she have cruelly rejected us and not joined, or something?

QvgAqXE.pngXRqoPe9.pngmxEZhvZ.png

Well, whatever! A new dancer is nothing to be upset about! Of course, there's just one problem... we have a few more units than we do deployment spots right now, and looking at the cheaty map guide, that isn't going to change soon. I just don't have room for an extra support unit, even if she does have healing powers (which makes her much better, by the way). I'll take a look at her growths, though.

That's all for now. Next time, we kill Hale!

GROWTHS:

Emilia:

HP: 75%

Strength: 45%

Skill: 55%

Speed: 50%

Luck: 45%

Defense: 35%

Resistance: 20%

Total: 325%

She looks very average, just as a soldier should. She has great bases and is average at pretty much anything, meaning she can fill in as a good replacement for pretty much anyone. If anybody's turning out poorly, Emilia can help out.

Again, whether or not she gets used depends on the deployment spots the hack gives me and whether or not I can get her an extra knight crest.

Alyssa:

HP: 65%

Magic: 55%

Skill: 5%

Speed: 60%

Luck: 90%

Defense: 30%

Resistance: 60%

Total: 365%

Her growths are weird, and break the 325% mold, but I mean, she is a dancer. It's kind of par for the course. Since she can heal, that 55% magic means she'll get pretty good at it if you train her! And she'll gain more survivability while still needing to be kept out of combat, exactly as you'd expect. All-in-all, as good a dancer as could be hoped for.

Pretty sure that yes, she won't join you if you send a Lord to that house. For reasons that make sense with the right supports. Been a while, could be misremembering.

Also Andrei doesn't have a forced promotion, he doesn't have a Lord class label.

Emilia was pretty good for me, but I don't think Halberdiers have their innate crit. boost in Requiem. Snipers do though, which is one thing Linda has over Skye.

And that forced promotion? Pretty sure it's at the end of the next chapter.

...While we're on promotions, Alicia sneakily picks up Dark magic when she promotes... so Ash doesn't have to hoard all those lovely dark tomes for himself anymore.

Pretty sure that yes, she won't join you if you send a Lord to that house. For reasons that make sense with the right supports. Been a while, could be misremembering.

That's pretty harsh! Luckily, since I started my lords off way far away, there was never any danger.

I'll just spoil it: Ash gets the forced promotion. The rest can promote whenever.

Wait, what? Really? Man, I had everything set up for the forced promotion, too! Well, now I know why the amounts of promotion items the game's been giving me are so skewed.

Emilia was pretty good for me, but I don't think Halberdiers have their innate crit. boost in Requiem. Snipers do though, which is one thing Linda has over Skye.

And that forced promotion? Pretty sure it's at the end of the next chapter.

...While we're on promotions, Alicia sneakily picks up Dark magic when she promotes... so Ash doesn't have to hoard all those lovely dark tomes for himself anymore.

Thanks for the advice! The forced promotion is at the end of the NEXT chapter (I've played a little ways ahead, keep in mind), but it's good to know we'll finally have another dark magician.

Requiem: Episode 19: Chapter 18: Part 2: Hale the Loser

n1BRdE2.png

Remember, last time, we just picked up Alyssa so she can do stuff like this. However, both my and the enemy's armies are about to have this big clash.

61CLJpL.pngEsRe97Y.png

Ash is all ready for that forced promotion you guys mentioned. He's actually a bit ahead of everyone else in levels, because he's so good.

VfcaVrE.png6eYFA6q.png

We get more reinforcements (cavaliers this time) plus another wave of fliers to deal with!

rUCa3px.png

Luckily, I'm ready this time. The bottom and top groups are pretty much together now, so we'll all defeat this as one!

CrqllbR.png

Oh, and Kieran and Alyssa are going to take care of these two losers. I was considering leaving them unkilled, but since Kieran can fly over the fence and join the others when he's done, there's no reason too.

0I1oj6n.png

This is really good, especially with speed being capped! The only stat she's missing is luck, ironically. She'll be a competent falcoknight upon promotion, though Kieran does somewhat overshadow her.

KrJm458.png

We're all ready.

TxWaoUA.png

BRING IT ON, ENEMIES! We're almost ready for promotions, and we're plenty strong enough to beat you!

zweNQUu.pngfg0PWjL.png

The fight is pretty straightforward. Killing, luring out, doing whatever you can to reduce the enemy numbers.

xDy2rJD.png

Once we get this wave cleared, we should be done. Enemy phase combat is the way to go here, I just let them come to me.

DxSJECc.png

This is the last house, sadly.

rX9P05b.png

Guy: I knew you would. I can’t believe those soldiers used our houses as a hiding place. Anyway… you should take this. I won’t be fighting anytime soon, so you’ll need it much more than I do. Good luck.

vevFalq.png

Oh, now THIS is nice! If you're wondering, it is the Anima seal, and we're going to NEED it.

I haven't mentioned this yet, but since I do have future chapter knowledge, I'd best talk about it now. This hack is a bit skimpy on the promotion items, and what it does give it gives in skewed amounts (by the end of next chapter, we'll have 4 Hero Crests, 2 Knight Crests, 1 Elysian Whip, 1 Orion's Bolt, and 2 Guiding Rings, plus the Power Crest, though we have equal numbers of units that need those items). By the end of next chapter, most of the units you see here will be 100% ready to promote, level 20 maxed. However, the game doesn't give out much in the way of promotion items. There IS a secret shop a ways in our future, so I'm praying it has the items I need.

1bnsOzH.png

We've reached the point in the game where our group can pretty much overcome any enemy so long as we stay together. After playing a lot of Fire Emblem, I can see why many of the later chapters typically split your units up or motivate you to split them up. When we promote, I suspect this will become even more the case.

iIUgJae.png

Just a few scattered losers and we'll be through. We easily beat that huge group together.

6wzdds4.png

Well gee, SOME houses give valuable lore info to players who take the time to stop by them... but not THIS loser, I guess...

I'm actually not sad, it means I have less dialogue recording work to do

0pq3auL.png

The rest of the enemies die pretty easily, and then...

fwSUabH.png

Sloooowly moving forward...

Finally, we make it to the boss, and-

IpcZfgt.png

Oh crap! HE MOVES! NO! AND HE'S BESET MY POOR PEGASUS KNIGHT!

E6wtb4L.png

Hale: But you’ll go no further!

14vZPWF.png

Gemma fails to dodge, as my units are so wont to do.

To be totally honest, I should have expected he would move. He had no terrain to speak of, I guess I just figured he wouldn't since he's a general.

uro5FII.png

Okay, let's do it again, trying VERY CAREFULLY to lure out the rest of the generics for EXP without angering the boss.

I could stop at the arena, but with everyone about to promote anyways, I don't really need to.

Ygd3TJ3.pngSn6w5xi.png

I'm glad I gave Kieran the Perfect Pike. I've been very happy with it's bow-bashing performance.

1hHGCDr.png

Well, it's time! Let's be done with this!

I mentally kicked myself afterwards; this was a PERFECT time for support grinding! Ah well, next chapter will be an even better opportunity...

oYkmSPG.png

Hale: Well, well, well… Have you come to offer up your life so soon?

Val: …I will make you pay for your crimes against my people!

Hale: Hmph… Come at me, then! I’ll run you right through and make sure you don’t survive, this time!

This time? Has it happened before? Did I miss something?

Pim09AP.png0GzBWPM.png

I didn't realize until after I entered combat how risky it was. Luckily, Val didn't fail me.

0xlCil4.png

She's having trouble dealing enough damage, though, so let's soften him up a bit.

aX0ptL6.png

Alicia: This place must be really falling apart if someone like you has been given this kind of authority.

Hale: The same could have been said about you, traitor. What respect do you think any real soldier in this army had for our Lord’s little puppet?

Alicia: …I’d rather be a traitor to Egardia than become a monster, like you. You’re going to regret all the suffering you’ve wrought on the people of Olva once we defeat you here. You’d better be prepared.

Hale: I’d better be prepared? Hahaha! Somehow, you’ve actually convinced yourself that you stand a chance against me in battle, haven’t you?

Mage vs General? At 2 range? Come on, Hale. Alicia's one of the biggest threats to you on my side.

Alicia: Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

67fUwj4.png

A little more softening later, and it's time to give Skye an XP-filled coup de grace.

lI3zQaH.pngHnfMyfi.png

Surely, the thought of the possibility must have entered your head when you saw every mook you had except for yourself was dead.

BuHPA9d.pngXy1JDGw.png

We get some excellent profits, and that is all for this time!

NEXT TIME: I combine this chapter's conclusion and the prelude of the next, to keep things flowing.

Wow, you're really going to promote soon. My guys took a longer time to promote. Almost all of them promoted in the chapter where you get Thelma (the last recruitable character)

What's not so good about this hack is that you don't get to enjoy having your units promoted for much time. The length could improve a bit, since the ending it's a bit sudden, but it's fine.

ASH PROMOTION HYPE.

6wzdds4.png

Well gee, SOME houses give valuable lore info to players who take the time to stop by them... but not THIS loser, I guess...

I'm actually not sad, it means I have less dialogue recording work to do

oYkmSPG.png

Hale: Well, well, well… Have you come to offer up your life so soon?

Val: …I will make you pay for your crimes against my people!

Hale: Hmph… Come at me, then! I’ll run you right through and make sure you don’t survive, this time!

This time? Has it happened before? Did I miss something?

Back when that village worked, it hinted at the location of the secret shop in this chapter - which was in the top right behind the burned down house, by the way.

Then, all of a sudden the village conversation there started causing the game to break for some reason. Like, it caused the map to glitch and became unplayable. I never managed to figure out why and didn't get around to asking about it.

It also does sell extra promotion items for characters, should you need them, so unfortunately the chance has been missed here. IIRC the only other promotion item is an Elysian Whip on chapter 19x.

What Hale is referring to is the time back in Val's mode where Bran basically killed her before Ash stepped in and went over to Bran's side.

And yes, Alyssa doesn't join you if Val, Ash, Alicia or Andrei visit that village. Instead of talking to her, they'll talk to a villager, who has basically been sent out instead to talk to them. You get a Goddess Icon for it.

Sorry to hear about this being your last LP by the way. You wouldn't know because I was just lurking, but I did keep up with a few of the hacks that you played in your threads. I hope this one will be a good enough one to go out on for you.

Wow, you're really going to promote soon. My guys took a longer time to promote. Almost all of them promoted in the chapter where you get Thelma (the last recruitable character)

What's not so good about this hack is that you don't get to enjoy having your units promoted for much time. The length could improve a bit, since the ending it's a bit sudden, but it's fine.

ASH PROMOTION HYPE.

I probably would be promoting later, honestly, but I cut out a bunch of the units I wanted to use from the team (Isaac, Linda, Marco...) because I had a really bad ratio of units v. deployment spots.

Back when that village worked, it hinted at the location of the secret shop in this chapter - which was in the top right behind the burned down house, by the way.

Then, all of a sudden the village conversation there started causing the game to break for some reason. Like, it caused the map to glitch and became unplayable. I never managed to figure out why and didn't get around to asking about it.

It also does sell extra promotion items for characters, should you need them, so unfortunately the chance has been missed here. IIRC the only other promotion item is an Elysian Whip on chapter 19x.

What Hale is referring to is the time back in Val's mode where Bran basically killed her before Ash stepped in and went over to Bran's side.

And yes, Alyssa doesn't join you if Val, Ash, Alicia or Andrei visit that village. Instead of talking to her, they'll talk to a villager, who has basically been sent out instead to talk to them. You get a Goddess Icon for it.

Sorry to hear about this being your last LP by the way. You wouldn't know because I was just lurking, but I did keep up with a few of the hacks that you played in your threads. I hope this one will be a good enough one to go out on for you.

Aww... I can't believe I missed a secret shop. I blame the Imgur map album! THAT'S WHAT I LOOK AT TO FIND SECRETS! There's another shop in 19x, right? Hopefully I can grab that.

Yes, this hack has been one of the best I've played. It's definitely a nice, high note to go out on.

Let's read in...

The CHAPTER 18 CONCLUSION and the CHAPTER 19 PRELUDE!

0PDOWZm.pngaBlj3pW.png

Don't let him get away! He's a big jerk!

Andrei: You can’t run from your fate. Or did you think we were just going to let you go?

Val: You’ve harmed my people for no good reason… Innocent lives, just for your own satisfaction. Or perhaps you’re just so cowardly that you thought that they might have been some kind of threat to you. At what point can you look

g4DaQV5.png

So, this concept is interesting. Just, defeating an evil person, and asking them "Why"? I know why, of course, but it's how they would respond that makes it interesting.

OnQn5kw.png

In this case, dismissal and counter-accusations.

Hale: Look at you, talking so high and mighty. This is a war! We do what we must, first and foremost, regardless of the consequences. Just ask your brother. After all, he stood by us

Eo8PIrZ.png

Andrei: Don’t act like you know anything about him, bastard!

Val: … … I’ve heard enough. My brother is nothing like you. But, if you want to believe that this is how “war” goes, then you can enjoy being the next casualty of it. …Andrei.

bhNfp9V.png

Andrei finishes him off.

8DxGnq7.png

Alicia: Your sister does have a harsh side, as well.

Alicia: What is it?

Ash: I’d rather that she didn’t show that side of her. …If they let their rage guide them, they’ll become just like those they despise. Surely they understand that.

Andrei might become consumed by anger, like with Drake way back then, though I doubt Val would ever be like that.

4BFixtS.png

Josie: Let them be. And besides, part of not falling to the darker side is having the support of those you love, close to you. That’s exactly what has allowed your brother and sister to come this far without falling.

Ash: But it just doesn’t make any sense. These acts of “vengeance” change nothing.

Alicia: That’s not true.

Ash: What?

Alicia: It may not always change anything in reality, but in the world of emotion, in your mind, it changes everything.

Ash: Hmm…

Josie: Come on, Ash… After everything Legato’s done to me, do you really think nothing will change for me when he’s dead.

Ash: Perhaps… I’m sorry, Aunt Josie, I didn’t mean to-

Josie: Of course you didn’t. But anyway, Ash, the point is – Valentine vowed to take her – no, YOUR father’s country back. We knew it wouldn’t be the case, but this isn’t that same Olva we left behind. Someone has to take the blame. If you’ve got any better ideas about who that should be, then speak up, but otherwise, the battle against Bran awaits us. Now, come on.

Not a very family-friendly moral about revenge...

Fbtvxwi.png

Alicia: Do you really feel nothing, standing here, right now?

Ash: I… don’t know. Am I angry? Maybe… but that doesn’t make me want to do anything.

Alicia: …Ask yourself why that is. Anyway, we should go now.

Ash: Alicia, wait.

Alicia: Yeah?

Ash: What you said about vengeance… where did that come from?

Alicia: Just… a long time ago. I’d rather not talk about it.

We still don't know everything about Alicia's past. I'm sure more stuff will come to light next chapter.

Ash: Alright then. And, are you ready for what awaits us?

Alicia: I can’t say I really

IxD6b5I.png

nR5a3yE.png

Ash is all alone...

KSXrIJ3.png

Ash: either of them, have I? Father’s death… Mother’s passing, too. I’d convinced myself that I was just trying to stay focused… but maybe it’s

6WA0nNu.png

Ash: What emotion will I feel then, I wonder?

I'm suddenly feeling so depressed... I want things to get better for Ash! It doesn't look like we're headed that direction, though.

fwwLFYq.png

Ash: …You’ll be fine.

paumJyC.png

Let's NOT end on that sad note. Let's move on to the next chapter right away!

nV08QUu.png

Part 2!

mwwlMBQ.pngm6fOcz7.png

We start off getting one last Bran villain-checkup.

ox3hlfK.png

Matthias: They must have a lot more fight in them than they did when they were just a resistance force.

Bran: …Where on earth is Legato!? Did we not call for his return? Even just a small handful of our more capable soldiers could make the difference for us in this fight.

Matthias: …There’s still time.

7s49o38.pngLWqUXRu.png

Matthias isn't being entirely honest here. Most likely, they're all leaving Bran to be horribly killed.

Bran: Now you’re going to leave? Will you not stand and fight?

Matthias: They have the castle surrounded. Breaking through to the outside may prove to be difficult. I can guarantee that the job gets done by doing it myself.

Bran: Hmm…

Matthias: It’s likely that Valentine and her siblings will come for you, but I trust that you can handle them by yourself.

Bran: …Of course.

YLu23gA.png

This is the second time Matthias has said it as some sort of huge revelation. I think Bran gets the point.

Matthias: I confirmed this with my own eyes when I went out there. She has no loyalties to your or this country, anymore.

Bran: … …

7JxEVqz.png

Well, Bran, this was also your fault too for ostracizing her.

Matthias: You need not worry about that traitor any longer. Fight with your full conviction, and we will win this fight.

sOkEyOi.png

If by "find Legato" he means "join Legato and not come back", then he's right. Don't worry, we won't be dealing with any major reinforcements this chapter.

Bran: Matthias, listen… If the worst should happen, you mustn’t trust that man too much. He may be loyal to me, but he is a dangerous man. Be careful.

Matthias: …Don’t offer me advice now, Father. I don’t care for it. Just see to it that you don’t get yourself killed, and there’ll be nothing to worry about on that front, either.

TNf2WvH.png

Well, Bran's definitely not being controlled by any magic. He seems in full control of his mental faculties, even if he's choosing the wrong people to trust.

Bran: Come, children of Olva!

f8zD5hk.png

Val: still going strong. And we’re spread thin. Neither army can give way in the fight from here on.

All our green units have the castle surrounded, so we will sadly not have any backup for this mission.

Ash: Val, Andrei… are you still with me on what I said, before?

Andrei: Sure we are.

Val: Right. We might not have agreed initially, but we believe that you must have a good reason to do it. So do what you have to.

Ash: Thank you.

Josie: Once we take this place back, you’ll have done your parents

i3s2Tw2.png

Ash: …Right.

Val: Let’s go, then.

9kClOBx.pngY4oyo8V.png

Alicia: I’ll be right behind you.

Hopefully, we can solve at least SOME of our problems this chapter.

END DIALOGUE

jnGa4PO.png

LIGHTNING-FAST MAP GLITCH SHOT

oSpSfvQ.png

Alright! This chapter is going to be pretty challenging, but not super ultra challenging. It's a very nice climatic castle level.

AHlltuY.png

We get 12 slots, only one of which needs to be spent on a lord, oddly enough. I was expecting all four of our main characters to be forced out. I'm taking them anyways, of course.

0anU4J8.png

Before we get started, now's as good a time as any to use this!

95JQtJ5.pngXtT0AED.png

Edward promotes into... ROGUE! That's pretty neat. It means he can steal items, and open chests without needing the use-limiting lockpicks... right?

We'll talk about this later.

Anyways, he has gained some good stats, at the very least.

uavxi1l.png

The game has been VERY skimpy with giving us Guiding Rings. Clare has stayed on the sidelines for far, far too long due to being maxed out, and it's time to change that.

rONrbP1.pngWih9fEK.png

Guardian, also known as Valkyrie! Her stats are excellent, and, like Katarina, she'll serve as both an excellent healer and a nuclear option if our other units aren't up to a task.

BOXba2z.pngXu9NTbP.png

This chapter splits us up into two groups. Hence why I promoted Clare, I didn't want either group to be without a healer this late in the game. Val and Andrei are leading one time, Ash and Alicia the other.

Ivuq466.png

I haven't given you guys an Almer checkup in a while, so here it is. I've never been in a position where he's actually been in danger of dying, but it's good to see he's progressing anyways.

MWRUKSc.png

SPOILER(??) MAP: (don't worry, it's okay to open this one)

ntOG4Ge.png

Hey... hey! Compare this map to the map up top there! They're totally different!

...And, let's be honest, I can completely see why. This map you see in front of you(the big one) looks like a rather dull march through a big linear hallway with occasional offshoots leading nowhere but reinforcement pathways or chest rooms. I'd rather have us split up like we are then having everyone charge through a big pathway like this. Not to mention, the new one has things more compact!

Of course, what's REALLY disappointing is that both of these don't seem to contain any part of Chapter 1's map in them, even though they're the same castle.

4hExzmb.png

The generic mooks we're fighting are as tough as ever. But there's something else...

EVGeLoZ.pngJyYcID9.png

The enemy is finally mixing promoted units into it's ranks! Just as we're on the verge of getting our own guys promoted, too!

V207rHI.pngYBWaVoL.png

They're tough, absolutely, and that Impulse is something I need to worry about. However, oddly enough, due to the weird things that were done to this hack's EXP formula, the promoted units are almost worth less EXP than the generics around them. Ah well. We should be able to grab that Talisman, though.

tGSYNYx.png

Since Edward is on the opposite side of the map as the paladin, we'll probably miss the Secret Book. Oh well, it's just 2 skill points.

7RkYOLJ.png

Bran's area has some serious defenses, with no less than 4 promoted enemies guarding him personally. Due to the way they're structured, and the fact that they'll never move on their own, we can lure them out one by one.

75qVxXY.pngzEjiBCG.pngMsvesJq.png

The enemies have some good stuff for us, including high-level tomes and a 5-use chest key in case you lost all your lockpicks.

6YTy40x.png1aikprq.png

Bran homself is Hale on steroids. Not only does he have bigger stats, he also has a throne! Fighting him will be like fighting Grado's big general leader man in FE8: Pretty tough! We'll manage it, though.

NEXT TIME: Thievery!

I always thought of Ch. 1 as fighting our way out of the basement. Didn't we start down by the cells back then? It stands to reason that you'd try and keep your prisoners a fair distance from the throne room.

I played the first version of this map, so I can agree that it was a bit of a slog. Just like the first version of Ch. 6; plenty of turns just moving down a now empty corridor because the enemies had run out.

Incidentally, note that you get 10,000 gold for completing this chapter. Originally, there was 1 place to use that money from here right to the end of the game, the secret shop in the gaiden chapter that's coming up next (providing Emilia's still kicking). If you didn't get the gaiden, didn't grab the member's card or (like me) forgot about there being another secret shop, that money became useless. Thankfully, Sacred Blaze added a couple more regular shops in (I think) chapter 21.

I always thought of Ch. 1 as fighting our way out of the basement. Didn't we start down by the cells back then? It stands to reason that you'd try and keep your prisoners a fair distance from the throne room.

I played the first version of this map, so I can agree that it was a bit of a slog. Just like the first version of Ch. 6; plenty of turns just moving down a now empty corridor because the enemies had run out.

Incidentally, note that you get 10,000 gold for completing this chapter. Originally, there was 1 place to use that money from here right to the end of the game, the secret shop in the gaiden chapter that's coming up next (providing Emilia's still kicking). If you didn't get the gaiden, didn't grab the member's card or (like me) forgot about there being another secret shop, that money became useless. Thankfully, Sacred Blaze added a couple more regular shops in (I think) chapter 21.

We're getting more regular shops to spend our cash on? Good to know!

Requiem: Episode 20: Chapter 19: Reclaiming our Home

3FWbsYB.png

I want to get to the throne room at a relatively fast pace, so this guy has got to go!

3YgqEMA.pngkk3gVk7.png

Turn 2, the reinforcements have ALREADY started-very close to us, too! The pressure is going to be kept on us a lot in this map, but we're capable of handling it! Aren't we?

ZZVaZNI.png

Thieves? Already? Uh oh. I doubt I can prevent them from making it into the chest room, but if I'm fast enough, I might be able to stop them from escaping.

C5mpjoX.png

Edward, now that he's promoted, is useful against the enemies again. Great for chip damage! We'll be getting a LOT of promoting done this chapter.

0eeg6op.png

I don't want to fight the paladin and his backup at the same time, so let's lure them out slowly.

Ta4b6gx.png

Drake! You've capped defense! Great!

zcGnstt.pngugpe3t4.png

The thieves loot the chests and get some more hero weapons for themselves. I do want those, they'll go really well with my Hero Spear. Maybe there's a Hero Bow around somewhere?

099LmzY.pngl5BeWif.png

Speaking of heroes... yeah, Bran's guards are not the only promoted units we'll be fighting. They'll be coming at us with fair regularity in this chapter.

BE1F9ey.png

Let's play "Spot-the-mistake"! What's the problem here?

...I'll give you a minute...

Fy3xSgy.pngcOtRV95.png

If you said "Left the healer wide open", you are absolutely correct! What was I thinking, anyways? That she'd actually DODGE? Hah!

C2gdKRb.png

Okay, okay, I know how to deal with him and his stupid Perfect Pike.

esl9zjI.png

Andrei makes sure his axe-wielding friend doesn't bother her...

Iu5HaLr.png

And the paladin falls right into our trap.

upXjg3Y.png

Meanwhile, the other group is doing... just okay. At least, Ash almost dies.

Gxm8EmZ.png

I can't tell which group is doing better (note the new cavalier reinforcements, come to hit us from behind). Maybe they're both doing equally well? They do both have a roughly similar amount of enemy defenses to churn through.

QYXpslE.png

This knight doesn't seem too interested in moving. Knowing my luck, he'll probably start moving randomly and kill somebody.

ZfOncCx.png6berHv0.png

THIS IS FOR CLARE, YOU HORSE-RIDING LANCE STABBER!

lY4b9JL.pngfold7N2.png

Alicia is all level capped, and ready for the forced promotion that I THOUGHT was coming. I made sure to have everybody level 20 so we'd be prepared at the end of this chapter, and then I read that it was actually only Ash. Whoops.

Well, at the very least, Alicia does seem to have turned out really well!

p6oAARZ.pngNyUtztQ.png

Weapon triangle?? What weapon triangle?

aaiDywl.png

The game seems to really love spawning reinforcements right on top of me today. Still better than FE13's Hard Mode Enemy Phase reinforcements. I can deal with them on my own phase.

0qz2oTs.pngWuIqNFw.png

Trying to move forward, it looks like we have another fresh wave of heroes. Also, you might notice here that while one thief is easily within our range, the other, being a turn ahead, managed to pull ahead of the knight barricade. Considering all the other obstacles, I'll probably have to have the other group head him off at his next stop.

K2QlPLR.png

Well, I'll take the one I can get, at least!

In this image, Drake's fallen behind, so I've decided to use him as bait to stop the cavaliers.

uFyDhuP.pngWohBTrW.png

Each team has one Hero to deal with, but each time also has one crit-prone unit.

0xNAPUj.png29NduSl.pngfBcE3pq.png

Just when we though things were getting a bit better... now we have even more to deal with!

FlulwKk.pngGGvWhld.png

Let's pause for a minute to talk about how AMAZING Val is. She just reached level 20, and LOOK at those stats. She has all the skill, speed, and luck expected of a myrm unit, but also has a very high strength value for the class, along with downright unexpectedly high defenses-especially since fragility is supposed to be a balancing factor for her unit type! I just cannot WAIT to promote her.

(Okay, some of that defense might be coming from a Dragonshield. But still.)

f5t2LkI.png

Okay, let's move fast here, maybe-

AL1Q0Ya.png7kl3rap.png

Gack!

This is where everything gets a little bit more difficult. Ash's group is going to be locked down for a while due to this sniper arc guy and Impulse guy and everything else making it hard to advance without dying.

9mlUjqU.png

If the other group comes around the side, they'll be fine, but they have their own issues to deal with. Namely, promoted units charging at them.

OhV0kRR.png3HjoEgP.png

Ash hits level 20. I think he's doing okay, he's certainly strong. and has average numbers in everything else. That 20 magic means he'll always be usable.

NPJCpOr.png7Vnvg8n.pngDPdsg5B.png

Well, this is what I get for pitting my rogue against a fighter. I thought it would be a good matchup!

CB1nS7u.png

Other good matchups I thought of: Lance wielding cavalier against myrmidon! WHY AREN'T ANY OF THEM GOING WELL FOR ME?

W8MGhdz.png

Since this thief curved around the corridor leading up, his logical escape point, I can assume he's heading towards the big treasure room deep in that corridor. This should give me plenty of time to stop him.

TCIdKgo.png

Things I thought would be a bad matchup: Dedicated healer versus axe-wielder. But no, this one turned out well!

YVAi6KY.png

Ignore the map glitches, that's not important! WHERE DID THE THIEF GO?

See that staircase there, in the top-left corner? That's where the thief went. He escaped. He left the map. He is 100% gone, and I failed to stop him.

I could've had a full set of Hero weapons... a lance, a sword, and an axe... but now the sword has been taken from me, and I'll likely never find another to complete the set again...

...Oh well! Nothing to do but keep moving.

AHJpQIu.pngHfpNc9o.png

Kane hits his 20th level, along with everybody else. I wonder if an axe cavalier means he'll promote into something new?

WTG6euK.pngCuijegY.pngB4Snuuo.png

This is me, embarrassed-edly discovering that the Holy Staff only heals ONE unit, not everyone adjacent to the healer. I don't know how I misread that wording.

N0Q5MHJ.pngvt0csu7.png

Gemma achieves level 20 too! So many people are ready for promotion! Gemma is a very CLASSIC peg knight, albeit with above-average defenses. Sadly, my Flier Crest is with Kieran instead of in the convoy, so she'll have to wait until next chapter.

Qyq4ODx.png

As you can see in this image, Ash's group is almost out of their rut. As you can ALSO see in this image... not quite yet.

PjdkG3K.png

Despite the new blood, the defenses have more-or-less disintegrated, finally. We just have a little ways to go and we'll be knocking on Bran's door... or, throne, or, something. He isn't behind any doors.

dwuaJ0V.png

Impulse guy, being MISTER SPECIAL, has to almost go out with a bang.

Iqr9MyM.png

Edward does a good job against these warriors, and gets a good level too!

eyCPD0p.pngPuVRStU.png

Ordanze and Andrei get bad 20th levels, with ordanze having the far worse.

lg67YV1.png

Andrei's going to have to wait on his promotion, but that's all four lords at max unpromoted level! He's got everything a mercenary needs, and manages to be stronger than Val, giving him his own place.

k82X8lx.png

Ordanze isn't BAD, per se... he's CERTAINLY better than whatever Nala would have become... but the problem is, he's just not as good as Val. The only advantage he has on her is a few HP points and one skill point, and Val's vastly better Def and Res make her the better unit. Still, Ordanze is worth keeping around... I don't want to switch around the team any more than I already have at this point!

3gJb2aL.pngK6iuVms.png

To end this update... let's do a promotion!

2epZU6L.png3v8Gx0A.png

I just LOVE to see all those little numbers going up. I don't think he's any different from a normal paladin, sadly, but it's always good to have more power on the team!

NEXT TIME:

Alright, so, that's the "main" part of this update handled. The next update will be a "wrap-up" update, which will take care of all the little stuff that needs to be done for this chapter, including chest-looting, promotions, supports, and of course, Bran's boss fight. See you all then!

Let's defeat Bran in...

The CHAPTER 19 WRAP-UP!

KKS01Ms.png

To start, I've kept the Impulse guy alive all this time because he has a treasure for us. Now, he dies.

WNzzXrQ.png

So, the strategy here is going to be really simple: Lure out all the enemies, so we can be all alone to do all the stuff I want to do.

91niqLP.png

Also, I believe I forgot to show this last time: Drake hit level 20 too! He has very high strength for a knight, and great defense and HP. He does his job well.

NmVICcy.png

Val and Andrei became able to support at some point, probably united by constantly working together in this chapter. At the start, I had all these really big support triangles planned, and had several of my units pegged for each other, but... I slacked off on actually getting those supports so much, I'm not holding out much hope for that any more. Now, I'll take what I can get to give myself the gameplay advantage.

bOw5ZM8.png

Andrei: What’s up, Val?

Val: I’m just thinking… about everything. We actually did it. We survived, and reunited with Ash.

Andrei: Well, of course we did.

Val: I couldn’t have done it without you, Andrei.

Andrei: Yeah, I guess not. But it wasn’t just me.

Val: Yes, of course. But without you by my side, I might not have been able to come back, the way I have.

Andrei: I don’t really understand what you’re trying to do here. We’ve been over this time and time again. You’re my sister, and I’m not going to let you down.

Val: Right… But Andrei, I have to make an apology to you.

Andrei: Huh?

kKb7A1B.png

Uh... okay?

Andrei: … …

Val: I guess it’s because he’s

4nK5VQz.png

Woah, Val, have a little subtlety! This feels weird to read...

Val: Or maybe it was just because he was my first brother. But because of all those things, I was so lost when I thought he was gone.

Andrei: Right…

Val: I didn’t really think you were capable of such a big help. But the truth is you’ve been here for me just as much as Ash has. You just have a different way of doing it. You might still be reckless… but you’ve really grown up otherwise. I should have realized it sooner.

Andrei: Val…

Val: So… I know it’s a lot to ask… but can you forgive me?

Andrei: Hmph…

Val: Perhaps I shouldn’t have said all of that at once. But I thought you deserved to hear the truth from me.

Andrei: You really thought so little of me? That’s pretty harsh, Val.

DdAUbtB.png

tgnTwnj.png

Yeah, I'd be pretty mad if someone said all that to me, too.

XPnQb3P.png

The luring continues, even though Gemma critted her and killed this guy when I didn't want her to.

NSPZ9hT.png

You know what would make this go even better, though?

gxTwVqL.png9IgJObV.pngimmXD5k.png

Swordsmaster! Hah!

8qW28Gf.png

Even though I'm in the easiest position possible, I still somehow manage to lose Kane. That's just me.

6Axpo6s.pngZdYHlTB.pngpSvNa6b.png

Oh, what? Hawke was here the whole time? We've barely even seen him! Well, for an axe user, he really does have good skill, even if he's lacking in everything else, and still has 0 RES. Well, let's get him his well-deserved power buff!

VwPGV8L.pnghvt2w0W.pngHW5NQt3.png

Excellent. Everything a berserker needs, he just gained some of.

cZP2QLy.png

Things continue average-ly.

F3cXUH2.png

Meanwhile... hehe, let's break into the chest room and grab everything!

rrSSGEy.png

Wait, but... and it's not the top square either... why can't he open the door? I know I put his lockpick in the convoy, but since he's a Rogue I assumed... *sigh*

Well, now I'm feeling a little cheated. Requiem's rogues still need lockpicks to open stuff! I know it's a bit of a moot point since we don't have too many more chests and doors to deal with, but I still think it's important! In FE8, the decision to promote to either Rogue or Assassin was important. Assassin would sacrifice some of the thief's utility powers (stealing) for more combat potential (the assassinate skill and better stats). Rogue would sacrifice possible combat potential to gain even more utility, by the power to open doors and chests without needing lockpicks. But if Edward can't do that, I honestly might rather him be an assassin with crit-slaying powers instead of a Rogue. Ah well.

WzxEWci.png

Anyways... now him and the convoy need to make the LOOOOONG journey to meet up...

oBF9E2M.png

While that's happening, I finish killing Bran's guard, leaving just him. It's time for it! The climatic boss battle!

iyaojma.png

Let me just say, Bran is NOT a pushover. He has plenty of power, buckets oh HP and defense, and the throne gives him dodging ability, too!

But... you know who has a weapon super effective against armors like him?

Alicia.

4rc0YB6.png

Alicia: My Lord… I-

Bran: There’s no need for any words. I shall free you from that boy’s magic, even if I have to strike you down!

Alicia: Don’t do this! I’m… not being controlled. I do this of my own will. There are things going on that you have yet to understand.

Bran: It’s worse than I thought…

If you thought that didn't build up to much, don't worry, we'll see more in the chapter's conclusion dialogue.

18SAOmu.png

Even now, Alicia can't bring herself to put all her effort into taking Bran down...

Gbh8nRc.png

Next up is Andrei, maybe he'll do better.

FcmBtbr.png

Andrei: Either you fall here, or you surrender and listen to us. But you can’t win.

Bran: Am I supposed to be afraid? You call yourself a warrior, and yet your father didn’t let you fight with him in his last moments. What threat do you think you are to me?

Andrei: If I had fought by my father’s side that day, I know that things wouldn’t have been the same. Besides, you’re not one to talk… your son doesn’t even respect you enough to want to be with you in your final moments.

Bran: Final moments? He trusts in me enough not to fall to pathetic little ingrates such as you!

lfAhgoQ.png

Andrei manages to get a hit on Bran (though almost all of it comes back on his turn, he heals 5 HP a turn), but gets a little bit... axe-through-body-y... himself. That has to hurt.

BoiQ6Ww.png

Clare moves into position to heal Andrei, but gets attacked herself!

Bran: You would side with Olva, and therefore you would turn against me. That alone, shall warrant your death at my hand.

R0QsRiZ.png

Of course, since all my healers are OP magicians, it goes very well for her.

Since he has the lance, there's one person I can best engage him with now...

bJVUBRV.png

Val: Tell me why. Why did my father have to die?

Bran: You should know by now. How did it feel to be looked down on, child? How did it feel to be at the mercy of another?

Hmm... Bran attacked Olva because he didn't like Olva being nice and superior? What a jerk.

Val: It felt horrible. But my father let your country flourish. He gave you everything you have today. How could you just cast all that away and cause this much suffering!?

Bran: There we are… Show me your hatred. Strike me down, if you can!

Val: I… can’t do that.

Bran: Hahaha! Then you are a fool, just like your father. Your mercy is worthless to me.

Val: Believe me, if it were my choice, mercy wouldn’t even be an option. I wish for nothing more than to tear your head from your body! But for Ash and Alicia’s sake, I must stay myself…

Bran: Well if you will be like him, then you will die like him. Say your prayers!

8hQCvkG.png

Val also does okay in her engagement, but we're not doing enough damage!

iNEBML6.png

I get some of my magic users in, including Alicia, and we manage to cut him down a significant amount...

TN7Qz9h.png

I'd love to climatically finish him off with one of my main characters, but I want his EXP more. Do it, Ordanze!

20qGGsG.png

Or... miss twice! Thank you SO much!

ysNWQ8x.png

After he heals, Ash comes to chip him down more...

Bran: I believe that I told you what I would do if you and your family stood against me again.

Ash: I do remember. I’m sorry Bran, but in truth, this was not my intended purpose when I left.

Bran: And yet you’ve manipulated Alicia’s mind to serve you. I know about your magic, and I know that it’s possible. I won’t let this go unpunished.

Ash: I did no such thing. Your son, and Legato… they were going to kill her! I was trying to save her!

Bran: Hmph… am I really to believe that? I should have just killed you when I had the chance in the first place!

It seems everyone has failed to convince Bran to back down. Time to beat him into submission!

Cfm7AnZ.png

OH MY GOSH JUST KILL HIM ALREADY

MLUSgVh.png

YES! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

TGmtx0x.png

Bran: Why must I lose now? Where are you, my son?

And Bran is dealt with. Don't worry, even though we totally kill him, he'll be alive again at the end of the chapter.

For now, let's just relax!

AaVYXNW.pngpEstU9p.pngIDTqsKn.png

While the fighting was going on, Edward got back to the treasure room and grabbed a bunch of stuff. A barrier staff seems like kind of wimpy loot for the point we're at...

fHdEch8.png

The fury is a tomahawk, plain and simple.

m4B0Ycv.png

Support formation!

Zzd2YCB.png

Time for Ash x Alicia A support.

HDSHMjU.png

Ash: Alicia?

Alicia: I-I’m fine. I was injured earlier.

Ash: …The pain has settled in properly now, hasn’t it?

Alicia: I-I thought you were exaggerating. Guess you were telling… the truth… And I’m not even using it like you are. I can’t believe you’ve been dealing with pain like this the whole time.

9nzK7AK.png

Alicia: Wh-What are you-

Ash: It’s something that I’ve found helped quite a bit, in the beginning. Be still… You suppress the dark magic with the natural. I’ll show you, and then maybe I can teach you. That being said, you’ll probably be much better at it than I am, with your skill in magic techniques.

Alicia: Ash… you’re actually showing me something.

What Alicia always wanted...

Ash: It’s nothing major, really. I’m only doing this to help. Is that better?

Alicia: Umm… yeah.

Ash: Knowing you, you’ll master this as well, but just tell me if you need any help. For now, we’ve a greater task at hand. Hm?

Alicia: Ash… Wait.

Ash: Yes?

Alicia: Can we stay like this, just for a moment longer?

Ash: Alicia?

Alicia: Please… for my sake. I hope I’m not out of line for saying this… but I want to be close to you.

Awww...

Ash: …As you wish.

Alicia: You’re one of the few people who cares about me, you know? Even if you don’t mean to, you still do. So, I thought about what you told me. I want power, but not if it will turn me into a monster, like you said. I’ll give it up. But if we’re to beat back the darkness, I want to know that you’ll be there at the end with me.

Ash: …I thought that was already a given.

Alicia: Come on now, you know that’s not how I mean it.

Ash: …I’m not sure that I can be the person that you want me to be, Alicia. You know what I am… what I’ve been through.

Alicia: …That doesn’t matter to me, Ash. All that matters is that I trust you.

Ash: Alicia…

Alicia: For this to work, we’ll need to completely rely on each other. I won’t take anymore risks.

Ash: And I won’t either. We’ll protect each other.

Alicia: Ash… thank you.

wqbYUiA.png

That was really cute!

iU7hsrK.png

Our next support is an unexpected one, Drake and Katarina!

lijCDwE.png

Katarina: I’m glad to see that you now stand with us.

Drake: Well, I’m sure you’re not the only one.

Katarina: … There’s really no need to be so harsh on yourself. Anyone of the other prisoners could have been the one to do what you did. Everyone had to make a decision.

Drake: … I have to wonder, Sister. How did you find yourself in that army in the first place? The church of Oddeste does not have that much of a presence in the west and I don’t remember you being from that area.

Katarina: Me? During my pilgrimage, I ended up in the Western Confederation and I took to helping some orphaned children in the church on the border of Garasse and Arrenia. I then heard about the call to arms.

Get ready. This is going to be a massive exposition dump.

Drake: But even still… How does someone like you actually manage to be selected, and more importantly, why did you put yourself in that kind of danger?

Katarina: I can only assume they let me join up because we were literally to be used as fodder for the war for Olva. As for my reasons… I just wanted to find a way back to the east. I wasn’t sure what action the church would want me to take in the times of war. I also figured I would be able to leave at any time.

Drake: Then why did you stay with Olva? Why did you risk your life by continuing on with them after that first battle?

Katarina: While I was still worried for them, I saw Lady Valentine and the prisoners such as yourself and the others. You were all suffering or scared in your own separate ways. And as a sister of the church it is my job to aid whomever might need my help. I thought it was the right thing to do.

Drake: I see…

Katarina: And on that note… Please, do not be afraid to come and talk to me if you need to get troubles off your chest.

Drake: I’ll keep that in mind.

rY1d3LA.png

So many words... so much exposition on Katarina's backstory... I almost regret doing that support.

7ijgssn.pngTcI8Vpm.png

Edward grabs a few more promotion items (very nice) and then heads back to get a support of his own!

Gemma x Edward B support! I forgot to grab a screenshot of them starting it...

BSpeoCp.png

Edward: This thing’s got to be worth bags of gold!

Gemma: E-Ed!

Edward: Damn it.

Gemma: Please tell me you’ve found something!

Edward: Uh… No, nothing yet.

Gemma: Rrgh! I’m so stupid! I should’ve just given it to Clare for safekeeping.

Edward: Hey, calm down.

Gemma: It might have really been worth something to.

Edward: You’re telling me…

Gemma: H-Huh?

Edward: S-So, uh, tell me… if it really were worth something, what would you use the money for?

Gemma: Well, Clare and I would’ve used it to pay for the upkeep of our house… Maybe take Mum on a trip to cheer her up a bit. You know, provide for the rest of our family. Auntie Pam can only provide so much…

Edward: Right…

Gemma: But, well, that’s gone. I guess that I can still rely on whatever Lord Ash is going to pay us with. But I’m pretty sure that with his country coming out of a war, he won’t have much to give either.

Edward: I… never thought I’d do this. Here you go.

Gemma: M-My gem! You had it?

Edward: Um, now, don’t get the wrong idea. I didn’t steal it. I only just found it while bac-

Gemma: Grr… But you were actually going to steal it, weren’t you?! I’d started thinking you might be a good guy, but you really are just a liar!

*gemma leaves*

Edward: H-Hey, Gemma, wait! Ouch… that hurt. She hits pretty damn hard.

Come on Gemma, he gave it back, didn't he? Hopefully, I'll be able to get their A support before the hack ends.

rY1d3LA.png

QgYUaai.png

Our next support is Clare x Gemma B. Almost there guys, just a few more of these to go.

FJSmImI.png

Gemma: What?

Clare: You’re still angry?

Gemma: Of course.

Clare: Well, I just came to tell you the truth.

Gemma: And what’s that?

Clare: I really wasn’t slacking off before… it’s just that all this fighting… really… gets a little too much for me, you know?

Gemma: I knew it!

Clare: What?

Gemma: Why were you hiding it from me?

Clare: You knew this whole time?

Gemma: I just had to get you to say it to me… We’re twins, you know, I can tell how you’re feeling.

Clare: You can?

Gemma: Well, no, of course not! But you’ve never been one for violence! The mercenary life isn’t for you. As much as we may want to help Mum out, you shouldn’t push yourself to do something you can’t do. Of course, though, we’ve gotta finish this up first.

Clare: Al-Alright. Thanks, Gemma.

Gemma: Hehehe, I sounded pretty serious there, huh?

Clare: You had me going… I thought you hated me a little bit.

Gemma: Naw, I was just messing with ya.

renlk5g.png

Sadly, I won't be able to get their A support if I want to do Edward.

EgbbwOC.png

Our next and last support is Ordanze and Kane, another new one.

YRrRFcN.png

Ordanze: …What of it?

Kane: As a knight also bound to his lord, I would like to challenge you.

Ordanze: I refuse.

Kane: !!! You would turn down a challenge, just like that?

Ordanze: …I have no need to raise my blade for any reason other than to protect Lady Laraya. Especially not to someone I have no interest in. Now, begone.

Kane: What kind of knight are you?

Ordanze: There is that word again. “Knight”. That is a title for me, nothing more. I neither care about, nor follow any sort of honor code.

Kane: I see. … …

Ordanze: What are you doing?

Kane: You may not care to be a knight, but you are a warrior.

Ordanze: Hmph…

Kane: I shall temporarily be as such, as well.

Ordanze: I am not going to fight you. *leaves*

Kane: … … …Perhaps I will need to take more drastic measures.

I wonder how this will turn out. I'm surprised that Kane would just randomly challenge Ordanze like that, doesn't really seem like him.

vkJ3BL9.png

I think I also considered doing Val x Alicia, but ultimately decided against it.

bDO1RYp.png

An LTC-er I am NOT. Any hope of a good Tactics rating is now dead.

wfbhVYx.png

But, I'm ready to be finished, and I'm sure you are too.

NEXT TIME: Everything goes insane.

Edited by TheMoniker

Yeah, Andrei's the odd one out who doesn't promote with a Lord's promotion item (I forget what they're called in Requiem).

I think the 2 lord promotion items (obviously not one for Ash given his forced promotion) come at the end of this chapter. I distinctly remember giving Val her bright red horse (which has been stripped of its paint since the version I played) in time for the gaiden.

Edited by Wayward Winds