Fire Emblem: Dreams in the Dark

Omegaprism

Chapter Titles:

Sinful Rose

Mutual Destruction

Wings of Purgatory

Innocent Queen

Lies and Truth

A Dark Reflection (Maybe featuring characters that reflect Frey, Veronica, Ruganel and Woden?)

The Boundary of Pain and Fear

A Crazed, Carnivorous King

Cleaving the Dark in Two

A Queen Rises, A Dragon Falls (Is Frey rising and another dragon falling, or is Frey falling and another queen rising?)

In the Depths of Madness and Despair

Two-Faced Flame

Amongst the Thunder

Lord of Inferno

King of the Maelstrom

A Vermillion Scale Seething with Rage

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skills:

Forest Poetry: Forests for this unit heal like a fort.

Dynamic Negate: Resistance +2 on even turns, Defense +2 on odds.

Mind Charge: Select "Charge" on the menu to double the damage of the next magic attack.

Stones:

Moon Soul: Ignore 10% of enemy Defense/Resistance

Sun Soul: Heal 10% of damage dealt

Star Soul: Brave effect

Gargoyle Soul: Cannot move, but +4 to Defense and Resistance

Golem Soul: Cannot move or attack, but Defense and Resistance are doubled.

ATTENTION ALL LURKERS: YES, YOU ACTUALLY CAN COMMENT ON THIS, IT'S FINE!

Yo. Ready for this?

Iron Cutlass: Iron Sword with +15 Crit but a higher Weapon Rank.

Grimiore: High damage, high weight tome(Description: A tome full of knowledge. Not to be confused with a certain magical index.)

EMP Blast: When used in combat, reduces damage dealt by Iron and Steel weapons by half (Description: A tome that controls magnetism. Not to be confused with a certain scientific railgun.).

Black Rain: Dark Siege tome.

Oh, I just remembered. Tomes! Anima, Light, Dark? Fire, Wind, Electricity?

You there? You okay?

Coral Blade: +1 Strength, -1 Speed

Garnet Blade: +2 Strength, -2 Speed

Jasper Blade: +3 Strength, -3 Speed

Emerald Blade: +1 Speed, -1 Skill

Peridot Blade: +2 Speed, -2 Skill

Jade Blade: +3 Speed, -3 Skill

Topaz Blade: +1 Skill, -1 Strength

Citrine Blade: +2 Skill, -2 Strength

Corundum Blade: +3 Skill, -3 Strength

EARTH TO JAPANESE TEACHER DAD, DO YOU COPY?

Ok.

Corrobin.

You can edit your posts.

You don't need to make SEVEN posts in a row, especially not three within approximately an hour of the previous.

Additionally, many of the ideas you've put forth are... ... well, bad? Useless? Simple, uninteresting, unimaginative?

They don't need a comment because they're mostly "ok that's a possible thing, will see how rest turns out and pick"

Naoya's Inventions (With some of Noel's in there too):

Hydro Blast: Deals more damage if Wielder is on Water tile

Rock Riser: Deals more damage on Mountains

Displace: Staff/Spellsong. Range of Magic/2, switch caster and target.

Wyrmcide: Improved Wyrmslayer

For all of these but Displace; they're simple.

They're just kind of THERE, things we've seen before and know how to appreciate.

Displace is actually neat and interesting because it's different.

Triple Threat: 5 Might, Bow, Effective against beasts, deeps and dragons but not flyers.

Reinforce: Staff, grants +3 Defense to the affected

Mind Shut: Staff, debuff an enemy's Magic and Resistance by 2 each

A bow that isn't effective against fliers is interesting because it is different.

Buff/Debuff staves are interesting to me because they don't exist in FE1~FE13 except for Barrier-- but the very idea is incredibly simple, they're just +/- X to N stat.

Fang Breaker: Sword, debuffs enemy Strength

Armor Shredder: Debuff Defense

Knee Breaker: Debuff Speed

Magic Blade: Uses Magic at both 1-2 range

Final Edge: One use, 50 Might

These names and these effects are perfect ties, and logical effects to have if you were to add weapons that debuffed enemies.

Magic Blade is just Runesword without HP Stealing :V

Final Edge is bad through and through.

Chapter titles:

On A Throne of Corpses

Between Absolution and Void

The Place Between Black and White

The Forest Of Lies

A Wicked King's Rule

Descendants of the Holy War

The Crest's Mystery

Our Intertwined Fates

Sinner's Path

The Road to Hell...

Hope and Despair

Chapter Titles:

Sinful Rose

Mutual Destruction

Wings of Purgatory

Innocent Queen

Lies and Truth

A Dark Reflection (Maybe featuring characters that reflect Frey, Veronica, Ruganel and Woden?)

The Boundary of Pain and Fear

A Crazed, Carnivorous King

Cleaving the Dark in Two

A Queen Rises, A Dragon Falls (Is Frey rising and another dragon falling, or is Frey falling and another queen rising?)

In the Depths of Madness and Despair

Two-Faced Flame

Amongst the Thunder

Lord of Inferno

King of the Maelstrom

A Vermillion Scale Seething with Rage

They're not all uninteresting; but chapter titles have this thing where they need to make sense in a story.

And, well... these titles lack some of that necessary backgrounding.

Skills:

Forest Poetry: Forests for this unit heal like a fort.

Dynamic Negate: Resistance +2 on even turns, Defense +2 on odds.

Mind Charge: Select "Charge" on the menu to double the damage of the next magic attack.

These are all actually neat except the last one

which is just... ? so you skip a turn and get double damage.

so you get an FE4 critical by just not attacking for a turn?

Stones:

Moon Soul: Ignore 10% of enemy Defense/Resistance

Sun Soul: Heal 10% of damage dealt

Star Soul: Brave effect

Gargoyle Soul: Cannot move, but +4 to Defense and Resistance

Golem Soul: Cannot move or attack, but Defense and Resistance are doubled.

Luna/Sol/Astra except completely imbalanced because Brave is way better than 10% ignore/heal

equips that affect movement are pointless because you just equip a different one, move, then equip the other one. SO DIFFICULT!!!

Iron Cutlass: Iron Sword with +15 Crit but a higher Weapon Rank.

Grimiore: High damage, high weight tome(Description: A tome full of knowledge. Not to be confused with a certain magical index.)

EMP Blast: When used in combat, reduces damage dealt by Iron and Steel weapons by half (Description: A tome that controls magnetism. Not to be confused with a certain scientific railgun.).

Black Rain: Dark Siege tome.

Oh, I just remembered. Tomes! Anima, Light, Dark? Fire, Wind, Electricity?

Inferior killing edge unless it's D ranked

It's a normal elder tome that tries to be a ToAru reference . txt

it's an anti-mook weapon that tries to be a ToAru reference . txt

it's mire . txt

edit: in the process of making this post, corrobin made a seventh. so I fixed my "typo".

Edited by Bedimal Eliwan

Here's the thing: Omega and I live in different time zones.

He sometimes forgets to post. I post this often because it gives him a reminder that, hey! This is a thing!

I'm sorry, I'm just very... Passionate. And Omega likes it! He says it's encouraging the way I go full steam, kicking reason to the curb and going above and beyond with skill ideas, characters, weapons and more!

Also, did you even read the last couple of pages so you know how transformations, souls, the choices, etc. work? Read those then come back to Gargoyle and Golem Soul.

Edit: Also, you're inconsistent. You say that my ideas are bad, but then you praise Displace, Triple Threat, (de)buff staves, debuffing weapons, Forest Poetry and Dynamic Negate. Don't say "all youre ideas are bad" and then praise a few of them!

And unoriginal? Weapons that get stronger on certain terrain, weapons reduce certain weapon damage, those are unoriginal?

And yes, I know how to edit.?

Edited by Corrobin

First of all, he said many of your ideas are bad, not all of them. And in my opinion, this is true. Yes, having lots of ideas is good, but maybe instead of just blurting them out, stop and think for a moment: "What does this bring to the game that isn't already there?" Remember, we have limited inventory space. 5 spaces and that's it. Excitement is good and all, but you're putting the onus on the creator to sort out the salvageable from the utter trash, and if I were the OP, that would make me likely to miss the good stuff because there's simply so much to go through. (This isn't restricted solely to this topic, either; most of the posts in FE: Game seem to be yours, and follow this same pattern.)

Also, this is a forum. Not a chat. You don't have to get panicky if the OP doesn't respond to you within 5 minutes; that doesn't necessarily mean he's forgotten about his topic.

Normally I wouldn't post this, but you asked us to stop lurking, so I did. Hopefully this helps.

TL;DR: Excitement is good, but put a filter between your brain and your fingers.

Edited by Tequila

Thank you. And sorry.

Edit: Can you help us with this? Give me and Omega constructive criticism, tell us how we can improve, stuff like that? We'd really appreciate it.

Edited by Corrobin

Okay, so, for the record, I'm not dead. It's Obon season over here in Japan, and looooooots of people take vacation days. I am one of those people. The last two days have just been irl time with the family and neighbors. The weather has been very hot and sunny, something that isn't common for most of the year in Hokkaido, which is essentially Japan's Alaska. I also busted my ass cleaning, cooking, socializing, and wrangling my toddler all day. I give my solemn promise that I am still working on this thread, but there has to be some accounting for real life here.

As Corrobin has said, lurking is totally fine, but criticism is welcome. Not just on the overwhelming deluge of ideas Corrobin's throwing out here, but if there's something unsatisfactory about a character concept, or my writing stinks like an entire basketball team's balls after a summer practice, please let me know. I promise I won't let encouragement go to my head either. One point in particular that I would appreciate feedback on is the four-way split.

As others have said, Corrobin, your alacrity is inspiring, but holy ham sandwich, if I have to stop what I'm doing (like writing the next part of the story) to sort through every single idea and give thoughts and suggestions in realtime, I am never going to get anything done. A lot of the time if you blast out a huge list of ideas all at once, if you just do that onto a notepad or word document, and ask, "Is this really interesting enough to spend theoretical time and energy adding to this make-believe game?" You can usually find some favorites and some not-so-favorites. Also, I tend to write the chapters of a story first and then think up titles later. Some of the chapter titles are kinda neat, though. I'll keep them on the backburner for when more plot stuff is written.

Now, I've earned a little bit of leeway for the weekend, but tomorrow is my wife's birthday. There probably won't be much noise from me for a day at least. Back whenever I can be.

Again, I'd like to formally apologize about my "creative explosions". I'll keep coming up with ideas, but I can limit them.

So. Tequila. Bedimal. What do you two think of Omega's plot so far? I like it, but I'm a horrible judge. Do you see anything that could be improved? By all means, tell us what we're doing wrong but tell us what we're doing right as well.

Like, back to my ideas on the last page: What's wrong with a weapon that get's stronger on certain terrain, or one that reduces the damage from Iron/Steel weapons? Yes, they're creative, but what's wrong with them? How could they be improved?

Also, Omega, question. Do we have the Anima Triangle or the Magic Triangle?

Honestly, if it's at all possible, both magic triangles should be in the game. Also, a piece of advice for the project as a whole: focus on what is in line with "regular" Fire Emblem first, then iron out what makes this project unique. Special weapons, maps, skills, and the sort should come later, at least in my opinion. It'll make the "special snowflake" parts of your project easier to focus on.

Okay. Well, the thing is, the whole project is very unique (every character is a hybrid of a Laguz unit and a normal one, there's quite a few choices that change the plot) so that's something. And Omega came up this this all by himself, he deserves more praise. I always ask him if I have a question about the story or gameplay.

Edit:

Ideas revised:

Displace: Staff, switch user and target

Triple Threat: 7 Might, effective against beasts, deeps and dragons but not fliers

Haste: +2 Speed

Reinforce: +2 Defense

Mind's Eye: +2 Skill

Mages' Favor: +2 Magic

Ward: +2 Resistance

Percy's Staff: +2 Luck

Mind Shut: -2 Magic and Resistance

Enfeeble: -2 Strength and Defence

Slow: -2 Speed

Hazy Eyes: -2 Skill

Arthur's Staff: -2 Luck

Stop: Prevent target from moving

Fang Breaker: Strength

Armor Shredder: Defense

Knee Smasher: Speed

Eye Gauger: Skill

Mind Cutter: Magic

Barrier Cleaver: Resistance

Fortune Destroyer: Luck

Skills:

Forest Poetry: Forests heal like forts

Mountain Poetry: Mountains heal like forts

Village Poetry: Villages heal

Dynamic Negate: +2 Resistance on even turns, +2 Defense on odds

Changing Negate: +2 Defense on evens, +2 Resistance on odds

Edited by Corrobin

Well, I'll ask some questions and give some story suggestions:

Q1: Anima and Magic Triangles, do we have them?

Q2: Could he perhaps have a split inventory like PoR (so sub-inventories for normal weapons, Soulstones and consumables)?

Q3: In order of most important to least important, how important are Veronica, Ruganel and Woden?

Q4: Nein starts out pre-promoted, he's a lion. What are the two options for him to start as?

S1: Maybe the Red Dragon/Dragon Warrior could look like my profile pic?

S2: On the integration of Rabbits, Bats and Gators: Maybe, if the live in any non-Vilcoor world they are the descendants of a previous teleportation incident?

S3: How about when a unit is sacrificed for the gate they give a speech, and any units related to them would have a scene (ex. If Slade is sacrificed Celia and Klaus will have a party event where they mourn him)?

Edited by Corrobin

Wait. Woah. This hack is about dreams and darkness? That's one helluva double whammy wombo combo.

Excited to see how the project develops.

Edited by Arch

Alright, I've got some time today (finally), so I'm doing some organizing. I might as well answer some questions while I'm at it.

1: There is an anima/light/dark triangle, but no anima triangle. Each anima element does effective damage to a different type, though: Fire to byakko and beasts, wind to suzaku and other feathered friends, and thunder to deep tribe and wyverns. Light magic remains effective against undead and other monstrous targets, and dark magic has a bunch of the special effects from Awakening.

2: The inventory is indeed split into two: Weapons and other stuff. Soulstones fall into other stuff.

3: Their importance is supposed to be about equal, or largely up to the player. You get to choose a main lord among them before each book. I have the most stuff written for Veronica, though, because I thought her up first.

4: The two promotions for lions are: Beast Knight (humanoid style) and Great Lion (primal). Beast Knights can move at full beast form speed (8) all the time, gains a new melee weapon proficiency, and can equip soulstones without transforming. Great Lions get more and bigger stat boosts in beast form, and start every map with a maxed out transformation gauge.

As for your suggestions, you have a totally sweet profile pic, but the Dragon Knight only wears armor in humanoid form, because his dragon form runs on all fours kinda like a serpentine horse with a long tail and neck. At the Cosmic Gate scenes, a character who gets chosen for sacrifice absolutely gets to have a dramatic speech and farewell scene. As for rabbits, bats, and gators, yes, though this information would have to be relegated to support chains.

Dark Magic with special effects? BRAINSTORM SESSION!

(Also, um, which races can wield which tomes, like, who's the Monk, Mage and Shaman?)

Dark Blast: Uses Wielder Magic vs. Enemy Defense

Jormangandr: Deals damage based on (Wielder Magic+Enemy Resistance), so it gets stronger the more Resistance the enemy has.

Helheimr: Inflicts Poison on hit.

Hypnos: Inflicts Sleep on hit.

Ouroboros: Brave magic.

Also, another funny base conversation, Haseo and Ruby tail Leon as he puts on a hat and pants that hide his Vilcoorian nature, and proceeds too...

Hit on Dascallian women. He manages to get a chick into bed but it falls apart when his hat falls off. Then he bolts and finds Ruby and Haseo and tells them not to tell anyone. They say yes, and then, after he leaves...

Ruby: We are so telling everyone.

Haseo: Yes we are, my feline friend.

it's luna but strictly better i suppose?

edit:

wait no if it deals damage of mag+enemy res but doesn't ignore enemy res then the damage is mag + res - res = mag

...which is literally luna

Edited by CT075

Just to be clear I was 100% joking, sorry if I came across as too dickish.

You've definitely got a lot of ideas, but it'll take a lot of hard work and determination to see them to fruition. Best of luck to you on the journey ahead!

Edited by Arch

it's luna but strictly better i suppose?edit:wait no if it deals damage of mag+enemy res but doesn't ignore enemy res then the damage is mag + res - res = mag...which is literally luna

It ignores enemy Resistance, but it has less Might to compensate.

Looking Forward to seeing the final result,the skills looks really interesting and altough the idea is strange there is a very high chance that it will be amazing in my opinion. If you're accepting sugestions here they are

Corrosive Aura - It's a skill that only works when the attacker gives physical damage,from near the enemy.If the attack lands the attacker will suffer 3 of damage(without chance of missing) if the target was a magical unit with this skill

Looking Forward to seeing the final result,the skills looks really interesting and altough the idea is strange there is a very high chance that it will be amazing in my opinion. If you're accepting sugestions here they are

Corrosive Aura - It's a skill that only works when the attacker gives physical damage,from near the enemy.If the attack lands the attacker will suffer 3 of damage(without chance of missing) if the target was a magical unit with this skill

Um...

What? There's really no nice way to say this, so I guess I'll make it a reference.

ENGLISH, MOTHER****ER, DO YOU SPEAK IT?

ENGLISH, MOTHER****ER, DO YOU SPEAK IT?

I mean it made perfect sense to me

Conditional: Holder of Skill is attacked in direct combat (adjacent)

Conditional: Holder of Skill is being attacked by physical weaponry

Conditional: Holder of Skill is damaged

Conditional: Holder of Skill is Magical

If all conditions are met: The attacker (not holder of skill) takes 3 damage.

It's more explicit than Jormangandr/Mega Flare even if it's not as easy to follow.

I mean it made perfect sense to meConditional: Holder of Skill is attacked in direct combat (adjacent)Conditional: Holder of Skill is being attacked by physical weaponryConditional: Holder of Skill is damagedConditional: Holder of Skill is MagicalIf all conditions are met: The attacker (not holder of skill) takes 3 damage.It's more explicit than Jormangandr/Mega Flare even if it's not as easy to follow.

I meant the Engrish, not the skill itself, although I thank you for that as well.

Oh, that reminds me of another skill(s) I had!

(Flame/Wind/Elec) Master: The Mage equipped with this skill does +2 more damage when equipped with a (Fire/Wind/Thunder)-based tome.

It's my take on Soren/Illyana/Tormod's preferred tomes.

Okay, doing some organizing. I've done a fair bit of editing on my first post to clarify several points about what I would and would not use from older games. Yay for discovering the joy of the spoiler tag!

Arch, don't sweat it. Glad to see some interest, and as hard as it is to convey tone via text, I think it was pretty clear. Thanks for the well-wishes. ;)

Ace Pelleas, thanks for the idea. If you don't mind, I'll reword it to be more concise, like so:

Corrosive Aura (Tome/Spellsong rank required): If the user takes physical damage in melee combat, the attacker receives 3 damage.

Corrobin:

-I don't want to reinvent the wheel too many times, so I was just going to copy/paste most of the dark tomes from Awakening.

-Light Magic is folded into Spellsongs (the staff analog) and is thus useable by any unit with a spellsong rank (example: herons). The damaging songs would only be available at C rank and above.

-Also, the poison/sleep inflicting tomes are a better fit for the light magic, since those have staves in the past. Dark magic is useable by any mage with the Shadowgift skill (which can be linked to either tomes or spellsongs). Shadowgift is, in fact, Frey's default skill, and so she is the game's main shaman/druid, though there are a few shadowgift scrolls to be found in the game (or bought in the mad science shop).

-(Insert Element here) Mastery sounds pretty good.