Holy Geez Monks Need Buffing Right

I thought this was just Yeti being weird, making Monks way weaker than Mages in pretty much every way, but that's actually the case in FEGBA and I never noticed it before. Do people have arguments for generic enemy/NPC Monks continuing to be mega pathetic, or should they be balanced against Mages and Shamans?

Enemy monks just seem to be weaker mages for the most part, which is really sad. I guess enemy monks do have high res to protect them against other mages, but most of the time you simply rush them with a cavalier/paladin anyway. Making them a dual defensive unit might help. I know the thing is that monks and priests already have high res, but every magic class has high res, so making them generally bulkier might justify their low damage output.

In the same vein as how later FE's have given Knights and Generals at least decent res.

Monks/Bishops have Higher Skill, Speed, and Lighter Tomes, making them magical Swordmasters. Bishop crits are almost as frequent as Swordmaster or Berserker crits, meaning their less than average damage output can become lethal.

Monks/Bishops have Higher Skill, Speed, and Lighter Tomes, making them magical Swordmasters. Bishop crits are almost as frequent as Swordmaster or Berserker crits, meaning their less than average damage output can become lethal.

Have you played an FE game with Monks/Bishops in it recently? Literally none of those things are true (well, they might have higher skill/speed because I haven't checked on that but it's not significant).

The mindset was that they weren't supposed to be fighters. As a unit, this is pretty lousy, for lore it's fine. You really don't fight many generic monks anyways. If you plan on making them more frequent enemies, I think what I did with them was made them have super res. Think like knights/generals except as a magical unit. It basically forces you to have to use some sort of dedicated mage slayer to take them out.

That's a pretty flawed analogy. The only tomes with that big a crit boost are Aura and Luce, both of which are super heavy.

All light tomes have at least some crit rate, but they also have pretty poor might.

Monks have a whopping 3% more defense growth than mages, and more resistance and luck, but that's it. It does give the impression they're basically easymode mages for the first few encounters with magic, but having critical hit rates at all on enemies in the early chapters of the game is all kinds of bad...

All light tomes have at least some crit rate, but they also have pretty poor might.

Monks have a whopping 3% more defense growth than mages, and more resistance and luck, but that's it. It does give the impression they're basically easymode mages for the first few encounters with magic, but having critical hit rates at all on enemies in the early chapters of the game is all kinds of bad...

Not really. Random critical hits in the early game aren't even bad at all. As long as the player isn't being rushed down by the enemies with high attack stats and evasion, 1-3 points of critical isn't so bad. Especially because it's not likely for anyone to instantly die to a critical spell. I mean unless they have like less than 16 hp, in which case, I'd wonder who'd even want to use that unit if it didn't have at least a couple of points of res. From an enemy monk, I'd expect them to have like... 5-6 (ie, 2 magic at level 1) atk.

Honestly, assuming you aren't planning on keeping only 3 classes of mage, I'd actually do this:

Monks = Res machines

Anima = Balanced - with males having slightly higher speed / defense / hp, and females having higher mag / skill / res

Shaman = offensively biased. probably the slowest of the classes, but the most skilled and bulky. Or make females glass cannons and the males tanks for variety on the enemies.

Monks are literally the male Priest from FE6 with a map sprite tweak, E Light instead of D Staff, and +1 Con. Add to the fact that generic magic classes are highly growth dependent due to their awful class bases, and you have a recipe for disaster. Lucius and Artur are good because they have +5 or more to their offensive bases, so they don't really reflect the class as a whole.