Overlapping Class Skill Acquisition

I was chatting to a friend on tumblr about the possibility that weird things could happen when a character obtains a class set that overlaps with a class set they already have, and it turns out, it changes the way skills are obtained.

Normally, when a character class changes into a promoted class, they obtain the skills of the base class in their set first, then the promoted class's skills. However, there are cases where an overlap confounds this a little bit.

I experimented on Selena!Percy first, as he has two paths to Hero: Fighter from Arthur and Merc from Selena. I removed all skills from the parents before starting his paralogue to ensure no confounding factors, and this is the obtained skill order while leveling him:

Hero!Selena!Percy

First level: HP+5 (Father’s base class first skill).

Second level: Good Fortune (Mother’s base class first skill).

Third level: Gamble (Father’s base class second skill).

Fourth level: Strong Riposte (Mother’s base class second skill).

Fifth level: Sol (caught up to promoted class)

So some things change when there's an overlap, for sure.

This same friend said that when Heart Sealing Hinoka into Basara while married to Kaden, they found that Hinoka obtained both Spear Fighter (Hinoka's secondary class) and Diviner (Kaden's secondary class) skills. This is significant because Diviner and its skills shouldn't be accessible to her without Partner Seals. I have yet to confirm this but I have no reason to distrust them.

At any rate, I singled out all the cases I could think of that need to be tested in order to determine how this hybridization works:

1. Child character inheriting two different base classes with a shared promotion (x2, to determine which classes take priority, e.g., father’s class over mother’s, secondary class over tertiary, etc.) Tested once, with Selena!Percy
  2. Character class-changing into a promoted class shared with spouse’s base/parallel class (whichever is obtained) via Heart Seal (completed by tumblr user acupfullofsynthen, yet to verify)
  3. Character class-changing into a promoted class shared with spouse’s base/parallel class (whichever is obtained) via Partner Seal
  4. #2, but for best friend with Heart Seal
  5. #3, but for best friend with Buddy Seal
  6. Character class-changing into a promoted class shared by spouse's base/parallel class and best friend's base/parallel class, but not in own class set, with Partner Seal
  7. Same as above, but with Buddy Seal
  8. Corrin with two A rank same-sex supports (Niles/Rhajat excluded) that share a promoted class but not a base class, Buddy Seals into that class
  9. Additional combinations of inheritance, marriage, and best friend to hunt for exceptions to precedents established by the first 7 cases.

I have a lot of unused characters in my current Revelation file and figured I would simply run through at least one of all of the cases.

Case 1(2): Child of Azura with access to Kinshi Knight via Archer: Update: not a possible combination without Archer!Corrin -- even though Azura!Kiragi will have Archer in his set, he will start out in it, meaning all of the Archer skills are obtained immediately, while Shigure does the same for Sky Knight

Cases 2 and 3: Hinoka x Kaden Heart Seal into Basara, reset, Partner Seal into Basara, see what is different.

Case 2/3 Results:

Heart Seal:
First Level: Seal Defense
Second Level: Mag +2
Third Level: Swap
Fourth Level: Future Sight

Consistent with what acupfullofsynthen reported.

Cases 4 and 5: Keaton x Laslow Heart Seal into Hero, reset, Buddy Seal into Hero, see what is different

Case 4/5 Results:

Friendship Seal:
First Level: HP +5
Second Level: Good Fortune
Third Level: Gamble
Fourth Level: Strong Riposte

It stands to reason that if the user's class set outprioritizes the friend's class set when using a Friendship Seal, the user's class set always takes priority

Cases 6 and 7: Kaze x Effie + Silas, Buddy Seal into GK, reset, Partner Seal into GK, see what is different

Case 6/7 Results:

Partner Seal:

First Level: Def+2
Second Level: Elbow Room
(died, but this is enough evidence)

Friendship Seal:
First Level: Def+2

When using the Partner Seal, I A+'d Kaze and Silas first. When using the Friendship Seal, I S'd Kaze and Effie first. This implies that the class slots are fixed, that spouse outprioritizes friend, and that the order the supports are obtained don't matter.

Case 8: Corrin with everybody. Needs to be done with both male and female Corrin. Only some combinations result in overlaps, so no need to try to test everybody against everybody.

Ideal testing method: Revelation file with all characters available (sans Kana) and all characters B-ranked to Corrin with A-rank available. Save, A-rank two characters with overlap, play a challenge battle and gain at least 1 level. Record priority. Works for all characters except Gunter.

Case 8 Results:

M!Corrin:

Parents:
Takumi > Subaki (Kinshi Knight)
Gunter ? Benny (Conquest only, GK)
Silas ? Benny (C/R, GK)
Xander ? Benny (C/R, GK)
Saizo ? Yukimura (B/R, Mechanist)
Kaze ? Yukimura (B/R, Mechanist)

Azama ? Hayato (B/R, Onmyoji)
Arthur ? Laslow (C/R, Hero)

Kids:

Kiragi ? Shigure (B/R, Kinshi Knight)
Siegbert ? Ignatius (C/R, GK)

Kids & Parents:

Gunter ? Ignatius (Conquest only, GK)
Silas ? Ignatius (GK)
Xander ? Ignatius (GK)
Kiragi ? Subaki (Kinshi Knight)
Shigure ? Takumi (Kinshi Knight)

F!Corrin: not started yet

Case 9: I'm going to take the same Percy and see what skills I can get out of a friend/spouse pair much like Cases 6 and 7.

Results Summary:

It seems that the game immediately adds a spouse's base class to a character's class set upon reaching S-rank, and immediately adds a friend's base class upon reaching A+-rank. Even though these classes are only accessible through Partner/Friendship Seals, they are still present and their base skills can be obtained through Heart Sealing into an overlapping class. Likewise, the skills from the character's own secondary class can be obtained even when the class change occurred via a Partner/Friendship Seal.

When obtaining skills, "leftmost" priority applies, as follows: if the character has a maximum of five classes numbered from left to right, the spouse's class always takes slot 4, and the friend's class always takes slot 5. The order of the unit's own classes is irrelevant as no unit seems to have a class set that overlaps with itself, although child units' slot 3 is always filled by the variable parent.

Edited by BlenD

Seems like useful information... Sadly, I'm not sure what to say about it beyond that, but I feel like this deserves to be acknowledged somehow.

I think I had one file from a while ago where Hinata was married to Hinoka and had A+ with Takumi, which gives him kinshi knight but through both archer and sky knight. If I recall correctly, he gained both sky knight skills and archer skills. So, first level up was either sky knight/archer level 1 skill, then the level 1 skill for the other class, and so on.

Yeah, I've seen something like this happen -- it was on my Birthright file when I had my avatar, who has the Cavalier talent, marry Scarlet.

Guess what happened when I had Scarlet Heart Seal to the Great Knight class with level ups available.

In my first rev playthrough i paired sakura and hayato and when hayato was an onmyoji he got miracle for some reason. Now i know the cause of that strange ocurrence. I thought it was glitched.

Update: I A-ranked Corrin to Subaki and Takumi, Subaki first, and changed Corrin into Kinshi Knight. The first skill he acquired was Skill +2, the Archers lv 1 skill. Somehow Takumi outprioritizes Subaki, but I have no idea how. I'd appreciate help testing other cases.

Edited by BlenD