Looking for opinions regarding a difficulty setting choice:

Stravask

So, having just finished Conquest on Hard, I'm having a dilemma.

Birthright is easier, at least from what I've hear from literally everyone I know playing Fates. Furthermore, grinding is possible.

Supposedly, Revelation is between the two in terms of difficulty.

Seeing as there's no Lunatic+ to unlock, and I've heard that Fates' Lunatic mode isn't the totally and completely idiotic and non-strategic RNGfest Awakening's lunatic/lunatic+ was, I'm wondering whether to play Birthright on Hard or Lunatic mode.

My concern is that I intend to play Revelation on Hard mode because Hard mode doesn't lock your stat growths at mission start, and I want to use my Revelation playthrough for PvP later on (which means locked growths would make stat-capping awful grindy and tedious).

If I play Lunatic Birthright, will Revelation on Hard be boringly easy?

Thanks in advance for opinions and input, I'd appreciate someone whose already done this weighing as well.

I only have experience with Lunatic in Birthright and Revelation, but honestly, it's not that challenging. In many respects, Revelation is also easier than Birthright for various reasons.

The way that Lunatic seems to work is that they decide to throw more enemies at you and faster, and Birthright and Revelation are similar in that regard; enemies don't get new skills like in Conquest.

Revelation will most likely be periodically boring no matter what you do due to the dull, overly long maps, but that's just my opinion, obviously.

I only have experience with Lunatic in Birthright and Revelation, but honestly, it's not that challenging. In many respects, Revelation is also easier than Birthright for various reasons.

The way that Lunatic seems to work is that they decide to throw more enemies at you and faster, and Birthright and Revelation are similar in that regard; enemies don't get new skills like in Conquest.

Revelation will most likely be periodically boring no matter what you do due to the dull, overly long maps, but that's just my opinion, obviously.

Thanks, that helps some.

So basically I'm gonna be bored regardless? XD

If that's the case I might just play on hard anyway :(

Thanks, that helps some.

Well you could man up and play CQ on lunatic.

Starvask stars in the smash hit of the summer, "superbored"

Thanks, that helps some.

Well you could man up and play CQ on lunatic.

Starvask stars in the smash hit of the summer, "superbored"

I didn't play Conquest on Lunatic so that Birthright and Revelation wouldn't feel braindead easy by comparison, since they're supposedly easier and I wanted to enjoy Conquest first.

But thanks for reminding me most of this forum is filled with egotistical little fuckheads like you making shitposts from their mommy's basement.

Edited by Stravask

Speaking from someone who did BR Luna first-> CQ Luna ->Rev Luna

Rev is really easy even on Lunatic. BR at least attempts at a difficulty spike near the end (that can still be trivialized by applying more Ryoma, but they tried), where Rev lategame doesn't really try to give any sort of real difficulty increase. The maps are gimmicky, but unlike CQs which usually hold more strategic thought, just serves to make everything really long.

Edited by Thor Odinson

But thanks for reminding me most of this forum is filled with egotistical little fuckheads like you making shitposts from their mommy's basement.

This escalated.

Just play Lunatic imo; if it proves to be too much you can always change it mid-playthrough.

I didn't play Conquest on Lunatic so that Birthright and Revelation wouldn't feel braindead easy by comparison, since they're supposedly easier and I wanted to enjoy Conquest first.

Mmmmm delicious teenage angst and injured pride. Feed me more~

I was actually being serious, BR/RV lunatic are widely known to be easier than Conquest normal in places and the difficulty on both routes spikes out significantly under conquest hard. They're still fun games but playing them for any semblance of a challenge is, not the right mindset to enjoy the games.

Mmmmm delicious teenage angst and injured pride. Feed me more~

I was actually being serious, BR/RV lunatic are widely known to be easier than Conquest normal in places and the difficulty on both routes spikes out significantly under conquest hard. They're still fun games but playing them for any semblance of a challenge is, not the right mindset to enjoy the games.

Conquest is Hard even on Hard. Conquest Lunatic/Classic is just like the games prior to the Tellius Series where the difficulty got screwed up outside of JP. One mistake in Lunatic Conquest = You might need to reset.

Not taking My Castle and/or DLC into the following:

Birthright Lunatic = Kamui already breaks the difficulty. Takumi then snaps the difficulty in half again once you get him. Ryoma then splits the hardships in half yet again once you get him. Endgame will make you rethink slightly. Hoshdio Characters are mostly fragile speedsters or glass cannons and few are lightning bruisers, but those that are glass cannons/lightning bruisers tend to make the game too easy.

Conquest Lunatic = Kamui is still powerful but requires more training. Xander will be needed quite a lot once you get him since you need tanky characters. Chapters will try to troll you so careful planning will be needed. Enemy-only skills become a nightmare (ex. Iago with Staff Savant) or some enemies will bug you (ex. Azama + Hexing Staff) or some enemies will just tend to 2-3 HKO your most durable units (ex. Hans with Aurgelmir). You have a mixed stat-wise bunch of units so you're more balanced but leveling up isn't as easy.

Revelations Lunatic = Revelation's Lunatic is everyone's slave. Outside of maps being just bland and similar to Birthright, you have too many characters that make the game far easier than it should be, much easier than Birthright where you still have some hardships. Endgame bosses becomes too easy due to the huge amount of characters at your disposal.

Nah, one mistake in any fire emblem is a reset since mistake only happen when a character dies

Honestly the only game i'd compare to Conquest Lunatic is Thracia. The difficulty and the playstyle in both games is very simmilar. Hell one of our best character is also ridiculously simmilar.

Camilla appearance in Chapter 10 is pretty much a recreation of Thracia's defend Manster chapter

But then again this is mostly because i find FE7 and FE8 really easy nowadays. Lol Marcus/Seth

Edited by JSND