Post your favourite sοng!

Blue Druid

it's been bob dylan's "all along the watchtower" for a number of years. i don't think jimi's is better, but it's good.

I've always preferred jimi's version, but gotta give credit to Bob for the original.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for regular music:

Thanks NintendoCapriSun for bringing me to this song!

As for videogame music:

I posted this quite often in the past weeks, but so many threads asked for good videogame music. So I have to do it again.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

Two I always come back to:

Leviathan may not be my favorite Mastodon album, but this is easily my favorite single of theirs.

Shared this one already but I think it's worth sharing again. As with the Mastodon case, Blacklisted is not my favorite Neko Case album, but Deep Red Bells is my favorite single.

Two I'm currently listening to a lot:

Chelsea Wolfe- Ancestors, the Ancients

Really, I've been spinning Chelsea Wolfe's whole discography lately, but this one stuck out to me for a reason I'm not willing to analyze at the moment lol.

CZARFACE- Junkyard Dogs

I also love Julia Holter's Feel You, O'Brother's Path of Folly(ty disinnocence), Baroness's Shock Me, Tracy Chapman's Fast Car, etc.

i'm sorry, i have no restraint and refuse to choose

Edited by Ambling Falchion

Mastosong, huh? I like it lol

When it comes to Remission, Ol'e Nessie is my favorite, but I'll also readily admit that I haven't listened to that album as much as the others, barring maybe The Hunter(typical opinions go).

Nice! What genre are these? I'm going to bet atmospheric doom metal, maybe sludge?

For Cult of Luna, I'd say that description fits them about right, maybe just add the post-metal genre in for good measure too, eh?
For O'Brother, I've always had a hard time pinning their exact genre(s), because they have a lot of post-rock, post-hardcore, and sludge influence in them (their newest album has dropped most of these and gone for more of a ethereal, apocalyptic, and spooky post-rock (?) vibe, I suppose), so yeah, that description would work for them too, I bet.

it's been bob dylan's "all along the watchtower" for a number of years. i don't think jimi's is better, but it's good.

Maybe it's because I heard Jimi's version originally that I'm more inclined towards it, but I always thought he added a different "energy" to his version that the other doesn't have. Both versions are great songs though.

I also love Julia Holter's Feel You, O'Brother's Path of Folly(ty disinnocence), Baroness's Shock Me, Tracy Chapman's Fast Car, etc.

<3

EDIT: whoops, also on the topic of chelsea wolfe, i really enjoy "they'll clap when you're gone" and "the waves have come" off of that album. just my two cents, i guess.

Anyway, since everyone seems to be going with multiple favorite songs, I'm gonna post the song that introduced me into listening to rap/hip-hop and is still probably my favorite of the genre to this day (also one of my favorite songs lyrically too).

[spoiler=Deaths Grips - On GP]

The above is actually sort of a lie, because Run The Jewels 2 was technically the first rap/hip-hop album I've ever listened to, but this song is the one that really resonated with me at the time. Still, I'd suggest checking out RTJ too if you like this shit, man.

Edited by Disinnocence

Leviathan may not be my favorite Mastodon album, but this is easily my favorite single of theirs.

Wow, I've never really listened to Mastodon until now, but I'm certainly impressed! I'll definitely give them a listen.

For Cult of Luna, I'd say that description fits them about right, maybe just add the post-metal genre in for good measure too, eh?

Too many damn genres XD . I actually don't know what post-metal/rock is :P

Maybe I'll share this too...

there are a lot of songs that have moved me so strongly emotionally at different points in my life that i can call my "favourites," even if i don't, today, listen to them as much. there's one song out of those that probably moved me the most, which had an emotional effect on me that i've never had with any other songs, or in general, for however long the period of time was in which it was my "favourite song." that's sufjan stevens' Age of Adz.

i stumbled into sufjan at a time in my life when i was suffering through depression, and hearing the words "when i die, i'll rot. but when i live, i'll give it all i've got" was like being carried away by a fucking typhoon. it was like sufjan massaged my shoulders softly, told me everything's okay, don't worry, and isn't it so cool to be alive?

there's a couple other songs that hold a similar meaning to me but i think that one's enough.

another old favourite of mine is MF DOOM's One Beer, which is the single song that made me a fan of hip-hop, now my most listened-to genre. it gives me this really warm, nostalgic feeling. i love this song.

other favourites of mine: common's Be (Intro) for reasons similar (and from a similar time frame) to age of adz, american football's Never Meant because shut up okay, and joanna newsom's Emily, cause i guess it reminds me of someone plus it's just a beautiful song

Edited by fuccboi

EDIT: whoops, also on the topic of chelsea wolfe, i really enjoy "they'll clap when you're gone" and "the waves have come" off of that album. just my two cents, i guess.

Tbh there isn't much I don't like off of Pain is Beauty, but I agree that They'll Clap When You're Gone is one of the album's strengths.

Wow, I've never really listened to Mastodon until now, but I'm certainly impressed! I'll definitely give them a listen.

Hey, glad you liked it! I personally recommend starting with Leviathan and then going whichever way the discography pulls you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WnAvNdVyJB0

Gotta love Swedish history themed heavy metal.

Carolus Rex is a great song and a great album. I think it's Sabaton's best myself.

Hey, glad you liked it! I personally recommend starting with Leviathan and then going whichever way the discography pulls you.

They also kind of remind me of High on Fire.

Funnily enough, they did a split release!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WnAvNdVyJB0

Gotta love Swedish history themed heavy metal.

Haha, this is nice! Gotta hand it to you.

another old favourite of mine is MF DOOM's One Beer, which is the single song that made me a fan of hip-hop, now my most listened-to genre. it gives me this really warm, nostalgic feeling. i love this song.

I like this, and I don't even listen to hip-hop. Nice!

Edited by Blue Druid

Too many damn genres XD . I actually don't know what post-metal/rock is :P

Yeah, genres always tend to be over-complicated and and people will get too caught up in "defining" a band (even though I too fall pray to this occasionally), which is why I try to describe mood/atmosphere/aesthetic(?)/etc. of the band/album over trying to genre-brand them.

Anyway, the best definition I recall of post-rock was "using rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes, using guitars as facilitators of timbre and textures rather than riffs and power chords." So basically that, I guess.

The same also applies sort of for post-metal, even though it's a little bit different, but I think for the most part it works.

Tbh there isn't much I don't like off of Pain is Beauty, but I agree that They'll Clap When You're Gone is one of the album's strengths.

Hell yeah.

Chelsea Wolfe has had a good track record in terms of albums with little to no bad songs off them (particularly Abyss, being my favorite), because I think The Grime and The Glow is her only album with some "meh" tracks off it. I haven't listened to that one in a while though, so maybe my mind will have changed on that one too.

Edited by Disinnocence

They also kind of remind me of High on Fire.

Funnily enough, they did a split release!

Huh, I didn't know that. But yeah, upon further listening, I can definitely hear the similarities between High on Fire on Mastodon, at least for Remission and Leviathan on Mastodon's part. I might listen to more High on Fire later.

Hell yeah.

Chelsea Wolfe has had a good track record in terms of albums with little to no bad songs off them (particularly Abyss, being my favorite), because I think The Grime and The Glow is her only album with some "meh" tracks off it. I haven't listened to that one in a while though, so maybe my mind will have changed on that one too.

I can't choose between Pain is Beauty and Abyss when it comes to favorites with her- generally I decide which one to listen to depending on if I want my darkness to be really heavy or not so much- though I'll agree that The Grime and the Glow is one of the weaker ones. Apokalypsis also had some tracks that didn't do it for me, but I enjoyed its highlights and overall aesthetic more so than The Grime and The Glow's. Apokalypsis also has the beautifully haunting Movie Screens, which I considered sharing over Ancestors.

Tbh there isn't much I don't like off of Pain is Beauty, but I agree that They'll Clap When You're Gone is one of the album's strengths. Hey, glad you liked it! I personally recommend starting with Leviathan and then going whichever way the discography pulls you. Carolus Rex is a great song and a great album. I think it's Sabaton's best myself.

Ghost Division is also great.

Huh, I didn't know that. But yeah, upon further listening, I can definitely hear the similarities between High on Fire on Mastodon, at least for Remission and Leviathan on Mastodon's part. I might listen to more High on Fire later.

Their an interesting band, because they manage to pull off a perfect mix of doom, thrash and sludge metal, and each album sounds unique but still very characteristic of their style. Death is this Communion for example, is more sludge-oriented and also has some Middle Eastern influences, while De Vermis Mysteriis is much more raw and fast-paced.

I would recommend starting with Surrounded By Thieves or Blessed Black Wings. Their newest album, Luminiferous, is also really good to start with.

Yeah, genres always tend to be over-complicated and and people will get too caught up in "defining" a band (even though I too fall pray to this occasionally), which is why I try to describe mood/atmosphere/aesthetic(?)/etc. of the band/album over trying to genre-brand them.

Anyway, the best definition I recall of post-rock was "using rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes, using guitars as facilitators of timbre and textures rather than riffs and power chords." So basically that, I guess.

The same also applies sort of for post-metal, even though it's a little bit different, but I think for the most part it works.

Hm, interesting. I had a sort of "genre buff" phase once, but sometimes putting bands under a certain genre is impossible.