FE4 Marriage vs. 13/14 Marriage.

Corrobin

In FE4, every character had a child unit associated with them, regardless of gender.

In 13, only women decide children, and in 14, men.

Why? Why make less child units? And I know it's not cartridge space, cause an SNES fit it all in and was fine!

That's not true - the children were decided by the female character. Only Sigurd, Quan, and Eldigan had kids "attached" to them.

If you mean why they got two children while most of the FE13/14 adults only get one, it's because the kids in FE4 had to replace your entire party. It's not so much space as it is balance - FE4's cast is significantly smaller than most modern FEs, and FE14 already has unit bloat (at least in Revelation) without everyone getting two kids.

If you kept all of the adults in FE4 you probably would have only gotten one kid per female character, and maybe some wouldn't even have them due to space issues (since the sub kids literally take up the unit slot in the data if you don't unlock one of the kids).

In FE4, mothers determined children, and they had 2 children.

As for having less kids in newer games, that is sorta true. There are 7 mothers in FE4, 9 if you count Deirdre and Ethlyn, so that makes 17 kids. 19 if you want to count Yuria and Ares.

Awakening has 13 kids, because of the 11 mothers, Chrom, and Robin (who could be a mother) who provide kids.

Fates has 21 kids, because of the 8 exclusive fathers in each route, the 3 neutral fathers, Azura, and Corrin (who could be a father) who provide kids. Technically if you don't count Revelations, then each route only has 13 kids, like Awakening.

There's also the fact that was mentioned about how FE4 gives more kids because all of the parents die halfway through the game.

In FE4, every character had a child unit associated with them, regardless of gender.

i just have to say, even though this isn't accurate at all, imo this would theoretically be a really neat thing to implement with a hypothetical future second generation setup. sure, it wouldn't gel particularly well with the modern "everyone must support everyone" attitude, which is clearly already stretching the support writers to breaking point even without the additional worry of coming up with a solution for variable sibling/sibling supports, but it sounds pretty neat on paper at least

• 2 weeks later...

I liked how FE4 used the romance/child system, because your pairings actually had a huge effect on the game. You HAD to be careful and plan out who will be married to who in order to reap the best children. But even that is difficult, because it's nearly possible for every child to receive their optimal father, due to siblings having different classes and different growths.

Meanwhile FE13 & FE14's romance/child system was just for fun more or less. They had a purpose for online stuff and maximizing the amount of damage you can do and become really powerful. But they weren't needed to beat the game though. They can also be interpreted as an award for pairing your units. I don't think this system is inferior to FE4, as it is on of the key components that helped revive Fire Emblem, but I would like to see a future Fire Emblem game with the FE4 concept. FE4 is arguably the darkest, most innovative in the series, so I would like to see more FEs like it.

Yeah, good points.

But here's an even better idea:

A 3rd generation (And not in the way Morgan and Kana could be)!

If we were to have a FE4-style 2nd generation (Although I might want it to be like Sword of Seals, in which most of the cast of Blazing Sword was just too old), how about the kids can themselves have kids with other children! And then the third gen. has their own adventure!

• 2 weeks later...

Unlike Awakening and Fates, Pairing up first gen units in Genealogy is important!

If not, enjoy your crappy substitute children with garbage growth rates! (Daisy I'm looking at you with that 10% strength growth)

• 5 months later...

I personally think the children should be incorporated like FE4 (it means you don't need a plot hole device to include them...)

Maybe in the second arc have some of your original units be the pre-promotes, but have all their growths and current stats slashed (to make continuity). I personally think a good idea would be to incorporate a completely separate story for the children. Maybe a second game unlocks after completing the first, like in the sonic adventure series. (Yes. I did just mention SONIC in a fire emblem discussion. Heck, not just sonic: a 3D sonic doing something right!)

If they want to have FE13 style children again, I'd recommend 2 changes.

1. Have the children be Ests/Ninos. The reason should be obvious: they're CHILDREN.

2. Have it so only main characters have children. (~4 mothers, and 2 fathers, plus the avatar if there is one) This way you don't have a crapton of Ests to babysit all at once, but can still have a reasonable amount of second generation people to make marriage important.

Why? Why make less child units? And I know it's not cartridge space, cause an SNES fit it all in and was fine!

Each child is another unit. More lines to write and record, more art, more programming for everything a new unit requires. In the case of children specifically, it also means another map entirely.

This might be off topic, but one thing I like about the newer mariage system (probably the only think I like) is that you can marry two specific units without interference or feel stressed to plan your pairings.

For example, In FE 13, if I wanted Gaius and Cordelia to go together, I'd pair them up or have them interact with one another in battle, and then use their supports to progress the relationship at a pace that is comfortable. In FE 4, however, Turn by turn, a man [A] and a woman [A] that I don't want to marry are gaining love points, as I furiously have another partner, man beside the woman at all times. Guess what? Surprise! Man A and woman A are married! Man B (who I wanted to marry with Woman A) is alone and chapter 5 comes along.

See the issue here? It's like trying to make chocolate cake for a party, and someone else brings Bannana creme pie, ruining your hard work. And worst of all, not getting results you try to obtain. I get that not every strategy in FE 4 will work out perfectly, but having set love points be the determinant of what your pairings are 80% of the time is unfair to the player's options.

Being able to accurately progress what pairings you want and not have something like set points screwing your plans over is probably the only improved part of the parent/child system. The rest is more modernized or put in there as fan-service outlets.

This is all my opinion.