I'm kinda confused about a story detail

Aemzso

So I'm a bit confused about something. It might be a spoiler, so consider that your warning.

Lots of people mention Mikoto's letter to the Hoshidan royal children when Corrin gets an S Support with them as the way we find out they aren't actually related. It's a revelation, a secret finally revealed, and that's how it's treated.

...Except for one thing. In Corrin and Hinoka's B Support, Hinoka says Mikoto tried to talk her out of being a Sky Knight, referring to her as "your mother", as if it were common knowledge that Mikoto is only Corrin's mother. Corrin then says "Oh, she was worried even though you weren't related?", reaffirming the common knowledge point.

My question is: was that mentioned at some point in the Birthright story? I don't remember it, yet they treat it as if it were already known.

Why'd Nintendo call the Hoshidan siblings your brothers and sisters by blood in the advertising, and then just so casually mention the fact that that isn't true in that support?

Edited by Aemzso

Yes, they all know that Mikoto is only the biological mother of Corrin; they thought Sumeragi was their father, however. That's mentioned somewhere else I'm sure, otherwise people wouldn't have been so surprised at the Hoshidan royals' S support.

As for why Nintendo marketed them as your biological siblings...well, your guess is as good as ours, but there have been many different ideas thrown around. One of them is that Intelligent Systems simply wanted to capitalize on a popular fetish, another is that it was a last minute decision to make sure that the player could bang absolutely everyone, and the letter was used as an excuse to make it look more socially acceptable.

Why they thought that was more important than one of the core themes of the game, I have no idea, but it makes me question how much they respect the players or even their own products.

It's common knowledge that Mikoto was only Corrin's mother, but Hinoka, Takumi and Sakura are under the impression that Sumeragi is Corrin's father (so is Corrin - even until the end of Revs, unless you do the S-support).

However, it also isn't made explicitly clear to the player that Mikoto is only Corrin's mother that I can recall; it is something all the characters themselves seem to know from the very start, but I remember not being certain myself while playing Birthright.

So I'm a bit confused about something. It might be a spoiler, so consider that your warning.

Lots of people mention Mikoto's letter to the Hoshidan royal children when Corrin gets an S Support with them as the way we find out they aren't actually related. It's a revelation, a secret finally revealed, and that's how it's treated.

...Except for one thing. In Corrin and Hinoka's B Support, Hinoka says Mikoto tried to talk her out of being a Sky Knight, referring to her as "your mother", as if it were common knowledge that Mikoto is only Corrin's mother. Corrin then says "Oh, she was worried even though you weren't related?", reaffirming the common knowledge point.

My question is: was that mentioned at some point in the Birthright story? I don't remember it, yet they treat it as if it were already known.

Why'd Nintendo call the Hoshidan siblings your brothers and sisters by blood in the advertising, and then just so casually mention the fact that that isn't true in that support?

They knew she was Corrin's mother because she came along after they were all born already. It is talked about a bit in Chapter 24 in Revelation because its talked about that Ryoma treated Mikoto like his mother to help the general opinion of her get better. She was married to Sumeragi pretty quickly after his original wife died, and became Queen shortly after due to Sumeragi's death. So you can imagine what Hoshido would feel like if all of a sudden this girl that showed up a year or two ago married the king, and then became the ruling Queen of the nation. Saying people would be pissed is an understatement.

But yes, it was common knowledge that Mikoto was only Corrin's mother as she came around after they were all born already, even Corrin. He was likely a toddler at the time, maybe a year older than Takumi, and Sakura was likely an infant.

Why they arent blood related siblings is easy. It all comes down to allowing people to S-Support their favorite "Waifu", no matter what. You can even marry Azura who is your cousin (though that isnt exactly a shocker considering the time period of the game.)

You can even marry Azura who is your cousin (though that isnt exactly a shocker considering the time period of the game.)

Not to mention that's only revealed in Revelations, so as far as Corrin knows, he's just banging some chick that he isn't related to.

I noticed that too when I did the aupport. In my opinion the whole entire thing was poorly handled and i'm glad I didn't feel the need to marry any of my siblings on either side. I think that they should have

A) Kept them as blood siblings at the expense of a major plot point in revelation

Or

B) Made the fact that they ae not related more obvious in tbe story and not done through a support.

Why they arent blood related siblings is easy. It all comes down to allowing people to S-Support their favorite "Waifu", no matter what. You can even marry Azura who is your cousin (though that isnt exactly a shocker considering the time period of the game.)

Needless to say that it's ok in Japan to marry your cousin so even if the time period wasn't what it is, it'd still be ok to them.