Least Favorite Things About Your Favorite Fire Emblem

Blazing Sword

-Different characters showing up based on arbitrary things like unit levels

-Supports being tedius to unlock

-The Kishuna related gaiden requirements are bullshit, but you need to play them for some parts of the story

-Class promotion items are limited to certain classes

-Some characters join too late to really support them (what the hell, Renault?)

Edited by NekoKnight

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a love/hate relationship with FE9 but some of the things that peeved me off were:

- Ellie should have been the main lord. It was her story, not Ike's.

- Some of my favourite pre-promotes (Lucia/Bastian/Shinon) have horrid bases, but wtf growths... Didn't stop me from using them though. FE doesn't seem to get the rule of thumb meaning the more battle experience your units have from a storyline point of view, means they should be awesome battle-wise too. The lowly kids like Mia/Rofl will always end up better than their pre-promoted counterparts.

- Too slow to play.

- It's butt-ugly to look at, but has great music.

- No sibling supports... Or ElinciaxLucia. ;_;

- Mia's existence.

SS

- lack of worldbuilding

- no Vigarde as post-game unit (I mean, what the actual fuck, I want the zombie emperor. I want to make a team with him, Hayden and Fado)

- Ellie should have been the main lord. It was her story, not Ike's.

What are you talking about? It was Ike's story of growth into leader and competent warrior after his father's death. It was not Elincia's story at all. She just ended up being the key factor in Ike's growth into a great hero. Besides, it was great to see a lord character that wasn't of noble or royal birth for a change. Elincia wouldn't have broken that pattern for obvious reasons. And there's no bias against her here, I love Elincia.

Now if we're talking about part 2 of RD, yes, that was Elincia's story. I wish it'd been longer, it gave her nice development.

Edited by Anacybele

FE7:
- Having to play Lyn Normal Mode, Eliwood Normal Mode and Hector Normal Mode to unlock the actual game (Hector Hard Mode)

- GENESIS. Thankfully that shitty chapter is skippable.

I think that's it.

Edited by Nobody

Blazing Sword

Little diversity in the classes (5 cavaliers is a but much)

The requirements of getting the Linus/Lloyd and Kenneth/Jereme maps being based on the total level of units rather than choosing a certain option, Binding Blade at least got that right.

The dumbest NPC AI I've ever seen in a FE game.

You can't see the ballista attack animation, I find it really cool.

No manakete/Taguel class.

The tutorial while great for newcomers can slow the pace very quickly on second playthroughs.

Edited by Kevlar

Blazing Sword

-Genesis, Living Legend and Night of Farewells can go suck a dick

-Karla

-Lyn's story can be quite a borefest if played for the first time

-No Manaketes, especially since Ninian and Nils are dragons

-Sonia

-Kishunas are ass

-Late game lord promotions for Eliwood or Hector

I really love FE7 and most of these are minor or nitpicks but overall, I have these issues.

Path of Radiance:

- sages with knives

- most classes having terrible mastery skills for far too high costs (even though the animations are cool enough to use them anyways)

- no promotion for Sothe, but Volke does get one? unfair

- bonus experience, both a blessing and a curse

- BK showing up out of nowhere

- BK fight is too reliant on luck

- Ashnard only damageable by certain units (though I agree, endgame bosses are very tough to make into a challenge while not unbeatable with bad luck)

- some of the animations are late (Boyd), or just plain awkward (swordmasters)

- no dark magic (and no real trinity)

- OP paladins

- OP Eather, Sol and Resolve

- continuously having to pay Volke to do stuff... no wait, scrap that, that was actually funny

- no control over laguz transformations

- light and staves are one? whut?

- nobody understands bands without looking them up

- don't believe it says anywhere that removed skills disappear (confusing after playing RD first)

- laguz stat caps being too high, can't cap a whole lot to bring to RD, no weapon ranks either

- recruiting Stefan (even the slightest hint about him would have made this a cool super secret character, but the only way you can get him is by googling, and that's just lame)

- the shop suddenly not having certain basic weapons in stock

- can't very easily understand the cutscene voices (or is that just me, with English not being my first language?)

- in the chapter Day breaks, not being able to position your units (do love the idea of the 4 maps in a row though)

seriously, I love this game though, honestly.

night of farewells is a shitty chapter

Yoooooo preach on. my brotha.

Blazing Sword: following the above...

Supports take a thousand years to unlock omg i hate that shit. You know how many fucking turns i had to burn in Final to get Karla to A with Bartre? Rage....

I also dislike the requirements for a particularly story significant level (19xx) because of just how BS they are. Level Nils to 7 before Lyn mode ends? Talk about turn burns. And Kishuna is hard to destroy in 19x! Ugh.

Wallace's rerecruitment.

Yoooooo preach on. my brotha.

Blazing Sword: following the above...

Supports take a thousand years to unlock omg i hate that shit. You know how many fucking turns i had to burn in Final to get Karla to A with Bartre? Rage....

To on add to this, limited supports (ie 5 support ranks total) is lame. I felt supports were primary about characterization and I don't want to be limited on that.

FE8 is way too short, hindering what is probably otherwise a solid improvement over FE7. Another 4-5 chapters for each route would be nice.

FE10's Part 4 is trivialized by the Laguz Royalty and the units you've been dumping EXP into for the last 30 chapters.

Edited by Knight

Fire Emblem Fates

- Great Story Concepts, but they wasted the potential it had.

-Revelation maps having really interesting or cool ideas for maps, but not implementing them well.

-More of a minor one, but lack of Fire Emblem's main theme until the credits. Could of found someplace to use it, its like leaving out Final Fantasy's victory theme. Its always in there somewhere.

-Not enough classes can reach S-Rank for weapons. They put back in the S-Rank weapons, but only a small amount of characters can use them.

-Character Gimmicks taken too far again. Characters like Peri or Setsuna are lacking compared to others because their gimmick takes up too much of their character.

-Lack of a dagger wielding class for Nohr outside of Servant class. Would of been nice to see an Assassin class or Rogue class for Nohr.

-Lack of a Lance Fighter variant for Nohr. Sentinels could of made a return here to be the Nohr equivalent of Spear Master.

-More of Nintendo's problem than anything, but lack of getting rid of Hackers. Multiplayer could be fun, but when you have a 1 in 3 chance of encountering a hacker online its not so fun. Broken skill combinations dont help either. Next time there should be a special skill slot for the skills that actually give you commands to use like Warp or Shove, and you should only be able to have 1 equipped at a time.

-Not enough character slots for Revelation in its maps. I have a problem of characters falling behind because the character limit changes to much from map to map.

-Accessory Shop lacking Class helms from each class. It always bugs me when characters dont where helms, and I would of loved to use some of the helms from classes like the Great Knight, Malig Knight, Dark Knight (lots of knights), etc.

Fire Emblem Awakening

- Boss fight is severely lacking. Its a bit underwhelming when you fight a deity, and whup his ass in one round. No wonder why this guy never succeeds at what he does, he gets killed to easily. Grima should of been a parallel unit of Robin, using all of his skills and stats. Would of made him a lot tougher.

- Maps not having enough variation. A lot o the maps were fun, but a lot of them were annoying due to being Route maps with large sizes in open fields.

- To easy to overpower your characters. the game became trivial in the last parts due to characters being so powerful, and the harder difficulties dont change that.

-The first few chapters being too difficult to get through on harder difficulties. Because the higher difficulties only changed stats and skills, rather than change stats later on, and make the AI smarter, the beginning chapters are nightmares to get through.

-Too many gimmick characters. Tharja would of been a good character if she wasnt so gimmicky and had the child abuse angle. Nowi would of been a lot better received if she wasn't always acting like a child. Gaius sweet addiction while funny at first, got old when almost all of his supports surrounded it. Kellam's never being noticed was funny at first, until you read his ending and somehow no matter what everyone seems to forget him, even his wife. Thanks for the real depressing ending there IS.

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

-The end boss fight was really fun, but I could of done without the Single Target blast that Ashera pumps out every few rounds. The AoE was fine and made the fight hard, but the single target one was just too powerful and could kill too easily for such an already difficult fight.

-The Dawn Brigade doesnt get enough time to make them useful later on. If they only had a few more chapters it could of made the characters a lot more viable to use.

-At least on normal, the Black Knight fight was too easy. Once again I wiped the floor with his face. Trying to get the Wishblade off of the other boss was harder than that.

-The Bridge.

-Support System sucked

Fire emblem Path of Radiance

-The Bridge

-Rolf and Mist are too hard to get leveled, and Mist is unfortunately forced upon you later in the game.

-The knives are too useless. It made the rogue characters completely useless outside of getting chests because they couldnt kill anything.

- Ashnard only being able to be found by 3 or so people. Forces you to have to hide the rest of your troops later so that he doesnt start flying around and slaughtering everyone.

Edited by Tolvir

FE10

• imposssible to use every character because of unbalanced availibility
  • no weapon triangle on hard mode
  • part 4 (excluding endgame) is a little boring
  • unbalanced difficulty
  • Chapter 4x

I agree because of the lacking of 2 range weapons.

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
-At least on normal, the Black Knight fight was too easy. Once again I wiped the floor with his face. Trying to get the Wishblade off of the other boss was harder than that.

BK has the same stats on all difficulties.
However on easy he has no imbue.

On hard mode he's technically even easier because Ike's hammer has 10% better hit / evasion because of the disabled weapon triangle.

And you can beat Levail in the first turn with long range magic, if the arch sages have 28 speed (and if necessary nihil or parity).

What are you talking about? It was Ike's story of growth into leader and competent warrior after his father's death. It was not Elincia's story at all. She just ended up being the key factor in Ike's growth into a great hero. Besides, it was great to see a lord character that wasn't of noble or royal birth for a change. Elincia wouldn't have broken that pattern for obvious reasons. And there's no bias against her here, I love Elincia.

Now if we're talking about part 2 of RD, yes, that was Elincia's story. I wish it'd been longer, it gave her nice development.

I always got the impression that Radiant Dawn overall wasn't about the two main characters and leaders of the opposing factions, Ike and Micaiah. Its why I would say Ike and Micaiah are dual protagonists of Radiant Dawn. The story couldnt be finished, and Ashera defeated if you were missing either of them. Truth be told, you can really say Micaiah's role in Radiant Dawn was just as, if not more important, than Ike's role. If Micaiah was not there then Yune wouldnt of had a vassal to use, and then none of them would of got the blessing required to defeat Dheginsea and Sephiran, and Ike would of never been given the ability to destroy Ashera.

Edited by Tolvir

Huh? Why are you talking about RD and Micaiah? My post was about PoR. Of course RD is both Ike's and Micaiah's story. But PoR is only Ike's story. Micaiah isn't in the game at all.

Edited by Anacybele

FE4:

-No item trading

-Each character having their own money (making very hard for some characters to get money)

-A lot of missable stuff or stuff very easy to screw up.

And I think that´s it, I know fixing these would make the game so broken but still...

Huh? Why are you talking about RD and Micaiah? My post was about PoR. Of course RD is both Ike's and Micaiah's story. But PoR is only Ike's story. Micaiah isn't in the game at all.

Oh, shit. probably should of checked who you replied to then. My bad, sorry about that.

Path of Radiance: The lack of everything but HP in the combat animations really rustles my jimmies. It's so unnerving, especially when it's on Enemy Phase

The NoA team shoving a lot of ship tease before they realized that ship would never sail

Tormod and Maurim have no support convos ;-;

Laguz being kind of hard to use

Radiant Dawn: Tormod's availability ;o;

The Dawn Brigade and any other new characters getting shafted hard

The spotlight stealing Mercs

No flat-out romantic ending for Ike and Soren

The absolute lack of paired endings, especially for characters like Aran and Laura who already have the short end of the stick

-Chapter 14 and 14x's unlock requirements as a result. While 14's not the hardest stage in the series (I think something like Across the River from Thracia 776 is more fitting for that title), it's certainly up there as the most annoying.

-The fact that certain Gaiden requirements have turn counts, and they also happen to be on big, annoying stages for the most part.

-The legendary weapons only having 20 uses.

-Douglas, why you no join on Chapter 16? You are not Hannibal, stop trying to be Hannibal.

-The ridiculous accuracy penalty that axes have.

-Thrones/Gates' ridiculous stat boosts.

Gaiden:

-The game is too damn slow. Thankfully, Throttle on VirtualNES is a thing

-Rudolf is easily the stupidest antagonist in the whole series. And yet somehow, his plan actually fucking works

FE4:

Huge maps- takes a while to finish a chapter

Can't trade between units

Cross Knights- There's a swarm of them and they have melee and ranged attacks.

Endgame Ishtar- Not necessarily poorly designed but can be difficult to deal with

Spirit Forest- Takes an eternity to get through

Edited by Levin's Scarf

• 2 weeks later...

Path of Radiance:

Laguz. I just don't like to play with them, never have, never will. Totally unreliable one moment, ridiculously OP the next, it just feels stupid.

Also, the lack of armories and shops in the chapters themselves. The convoy is alright, but I prefer actual armories and shops like in the GBA games.

Also, the OP-ness of Ike.

Also, the automatic promotions after level 20.

Also, no dark magic. That should actually be #1.

Also, the pegasus & wyvern knight (& promoted)'s animations. Fly back, fly forward, land, hit? It just looks awkward and stupid. The crit animations are cool though.

The rest was pretty awesome :P: