Least Favorite Things About Your Favorite Fire Emblem

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Laguz are my least favorite shapeshifters as far as gameplay goes

- The last battle against Black Knight, I like having more characters under my control

- Skills disappearing when you remove them

- Some of the animations, Knight/General ones especially for being sssoooo sssloooowwwwww

Path of Radiance has fun gameplay, but I like being challenged once in a while, which Path of Radiance doesn't really do, even on Hard mode. I didn't like the magic being split into different weapon ranks, because they level up way too slowly and Soren ended up being only up to the El- type magic by endgame. I didn't like the Biorhythm mechanic in general, especially with Boyd's Tempest skill. The Laguz were too weak, and I never ended up using any of them except Reyson and the royal in endgame. Shinon and Stefan are way too cryptic to recruit.

Shit rates are very annoying at times and are especially painful when you factor in terrain.

The side-chapter gimmicks range from annoying to cancer.

You don't like that?

I personally don't like how it encourages waiting until level 21 to promote

While the flexibility it adds to promotion time is neat, I think there should always be some merit to promoting at say, level 13-18 and promo items being rare, along with waiting for level 21 being encouraged diminishes this. Being guaranteed to have more levels also makes snowballing easier, which is fueled by the fact that there must be more enemies to make reaching level 21 feasible.

On topic:

- Unit balance

- Bosses like Hardin and Medeus requiring crits so the generics around them don't steamroll you

Edited by Gradivus.

FE4;

- The Large maps are poorly designed sometimes, such as the Spirit Forest.

- No trading between characters

- How when you attack an enemy, it will change his weapon to accommodate the range. Like for instance, if a general with a bow and sword on his turn attacks a unit using his bow, when you attack him with a short range weapon like a sword on your turn, instead of the general being unable to counter-attack like in most Fire Emblem games, his weapon will automatically switch to the sword. Now if the game did this for your units as well, it wouldn't be a big deal, but it doesn't. This gives the AI an unfair advantage, and makes absolutely no sense.

My Favourite Fire Emblem game is Blazing Sword, only thing I could find wrong with it is that it doesnt have the latest gameplay improvements that you can't blame it for. Other than that I think there was little wrong with it, I suppose there is a lack of customisation and training which I noticed but thats more personal preference and part of general fire emblem design.

With Awakening and Fates which are my favourite in terms of gameplay, I don't like the way you unlock skills, it takes an enormous amount of time and a majority of the campaign to get the desired skills on your favourite characters, I wish that along with lv up and learn the skills, if one person has unlocked the skill then that skill becomes available to buy as a scroll that can only be learnt by someone who can turn into the class that skill belongs to. I did like that there is a large diverse number of characters and you have a lot of custom options with child units but some characters are just out right better than others in everyway meaning if you use characters like them you may be penalised for it. Previous fire emblem games have had this issue but the difference in strength is a small margin. I feel a massive amount of pressure to make the most of exp during missions because you'd need a strict progression plan to get the skills you want. (Thats why I can't enjoy the most of these games without hacks)

Radiant Dawn:

- Support conversations are almost nonexistent and are trash

- Lack of playable dark mages

- Bastian sucks, wasted potential unit

- Part 2's map design

- Meg thinking she can marry the Almighty Zihark

My favorite game are Radiant Dawn and Binding Blade... so:

Radiant Dawn:

- The Part 1 is too short / The Dawn's Brigade hasn't enough time to develop properly character and stat-wise

- The game has a extreme problems talking about the Balance and the Availality (character like Haar appears in a lot of chapters and has incredible base stats, Fiona is the complete opposite).

- Micaiah has Marth-like bases in a game where pretty much everyone has at least 8 base speed (If Micaiah have +3 Spd and +2 HP she would avoid a lot of problems fighting enemies).

- This is a little bit too personal, but this game looks purporsly designed to praise Ike and go against Micaiah after the Part 1 (and even in the Part 1 Micaiah is a character gimmick that you can't simply throw against the enemies like RD!Ike)

- The New Characters has to deal with the lack of actual support.

- The lack of actual supports xD

- Magic is weak in this game (and most of magic user are a little bit... slow)

Binding Blade.

- Character Balance as a whole (Sophia is the perfect example of this)

- Axe have retarder hit-rate.

- Roy has a late-promotion

- The Binding Blade was few uses... very few.

I don't remember anything else.

[spoiler=Least Favorite Things]Fire Emblem Rekka no Ken (Least Favorite Things):

• Hector is a god, Eliwood is average, Lyndis is poor.
  • Why is Eliwood able to match Lyndis in terms of speed? You'd at least think that Lyndis would be the fastest unit in your army, but no. She's just waifu material.
  • Both fighters are not the greatest. One of them have a bad speed growth and the other could have some potential if their hit rate was a little higher.
  • In Hector Mode, Eliwood's units come at a later chapter, but start out at the same level they would of in Eliwood Mode. Not even a level increase for each of them?
  • Marcus is probably useful, but just because I know he's a jeigan, I'm still never using him.
  • Forced tutorial.
  • I'll be quite honest. If I can arena grind through this game, why wouldn't I? There will be those people who look at me and say "but you aren't a true FE player until you play without using the arena" but if they really wanted to make this game hard, they would've removed the arena feature. Afaik, Thracia 776 doesn't have an arena feature to grind your units in.
  • You get Fell Contracts too late in the game for them to be of much use.
  • Now, I could use Dart, or I could just make Sain a Paladin and have him learn to use axes. Hmm...
  • Steel weapons are way too heavy to be of much use. You'll only really double units that are far below your level, else sometimes you'll actually end up getting doubled for using them. If you're a knight or a general, knock yourself out.
  • Speaking of weapons, Iron Blades and Silver Blades. I can't support this weight.
  • If the combined level of my lords is below 50, I can't get Geitz. That arena is looking mighty good right about now.
  • Erk. Even Nino outranks Erk.
  • Jaffar holds down chokepoints better than Oswin and Wallace do.
  • All this grinding that I did with Canas and Lucius just for me to get Athos at the end of the game.
  • Sol Katti is a terrible weapon for Lyndis.
  • Gespenst would be pretty cool if I didn't have Luna.
  • Boss would be pretty tough if I didn't have Luna and Physic.
  • Rebecca is my favorite unit...and she does no damage to the final boss. I think my heart is shattering.
  • I bet everyone who got the Wo Dao immediately gave it to Lyndis.

Uhh... Thracia does have Arenas in it, but they are actually very hard to fight in purely because of Thracia's mechanics, meaning you aren't able to use the unit you grinded in the next chapter, presumably when you needed them.

The localisation removing Maniac Mode

The game has the longest unskippable Epilogue ever

3 Trial Maps are locked behind a paywall

15 runs required in order to unlock all the Trial Maps characters

Awful implementation of Jugdral's skill system

Makalov

Also, PoR is one of the few Gamecube games whose save data cannot be transferred from one Memory Card to another for some reason.

Edited by BrightBow

-Way too slow Gameplay
-Knives being garbage
-Elincia joining way too late for my biased opinion (doesn't stop me from using her though)
-removal of Maniac Mode (seriously if I can say PoR is too easy, it's too easy)

-no capacity growth and skill trading
-mastery skills being kinda underwhelming and hardly worth it
-those stupid pitfalls on that stupid bridge
EDIT: And no battle information during battles. It's not too bad, but ir would have been nice to have

Edited by Dengres

Genealogy of the Holy War:

- some maps are just boring in every way(I'm watching at you Girl of the spirit Forest)

- un-balanced gameplay

- the enemy can automatically switch from a 2 range weapon to a 1 range weapon when is attacked(If it was boss only, I would be fine with it, but normal enemies can do it too...)

- Ishtar is not playable

Genealogy of the Holy War:

Ishtar is not playable

This.

Also, some characters are obviously superior units/fathers compared to others.

On a side note, I think that Alec, while a shit father, is still a pretty good unit and a good character, if not outstanding.

Things I disliked from my favorite FE Game: Awakening. Let's see...

Tharja and Cordelia's obsessions. It was hard to find a good support of theirs that DOESN'T bring up My Unit or Chrom one way or another.

Lunatic + being a luck-based and completely idiotic chore. At least with Lunatic I felt like I earned my victories; with Lunatic + every turn was spent praying to the RNG God that I wouldn't get screwed by some BS 1% crit or whatever.

How only mothers got children, and the only way to have 2 children was to be a dude. I hate F!Morgan for being such a spoiled, self-centered brat, so this didn't sit well with me. :V You'd think they learn better for Fates, but they only changed it from mother-only to father-only. Eh.

Limited number of models for characters. As hilarious as Archer!Lucina is, it also just looks wrong because her boobs are JUST not that big. It was ridiculous that they couldn't like at least do 2 models per class or something, with big-boobs archer and small-boobs archer. This was one of the few games where I kept most units their default class because the limited models became very obvious after a bit.

And minor story gripes under spoiler tags just in case:

[spoiler=Awakening Story]

Emmeryn being resurrected. I feel it really cheapens her beautiful sacrifice. It's such a waste, too, because she can't even support with Chrom and Lissa, or even with Gangrel. Why bother ruining her story if she won't even get any support with her siblings? Damn.

The two-year time skip. It seems so unnecessary, why not just make the next war happen right away, or at least 9 months later? It seems so silly that everyone you recruited up to that point is just up and raring to go. A lot can change in 2 years, how is it possible that ALL of them are ready for another war? Like, sure, a good chunk of them are soldiers, but people like Ricken or Donnel, or Tharja or Libra, what reason do they have to rejoin Chrom's army?

My Unit's brilliant plan to have Basilio pull a fast one on Walmart. Like, *I* am My Unit, I shouldn't be surprised at my own plan. Would it have been hard to include some derp scene of My Unit stopping Basilio before he leaves, saying something like "what Lucina said has me concerned, can we talk?" I'd have liked to known about my own plan, you know?

That's about it. Despite the flaws I still enjoy Awakening a lot and it is still my favorite FE game.

-It's pretty easy no matter which difficultly you're on

-You can sweep the entire game with Seth and a lord (Though I do really like Seth)

-Getting some of the Creature Campaign characters is tedious

Maybe there's more. I don't really pay attention to the flaws that often.

My favorite game is FE9, and I have two major complaints about it.

- Animations and graphics aren't super great (less major complaint)

- SO ZETTA SLOW (major complaint)

Seriously, the PP and EP animations feel so slow.

Edited by Sunwoo

Fire Emblem Awakening:

• The lack of diversity in map objectives grates after a while
  • The existence of certain Spotpass characters (read: Emmeryn) completely undermines their position in the overall plot
  • Some of the generic character designs are a bit iffy (wtf is the berserker in this game)
  • After spending so long in Valm, the ending felt a little rushed
  • Generic father supports just get to me when I'm replaying the game
  • Being able to meander off, recruit Anna, and grind off Risen between Chapter 9 and 10
  • Neither Hard nor Lunatic is "quite right" in terms of difficulty for me
  • The Falchion being meh makes sense, but since it's unbreakable I have Chrom use it for the entire game even though I KNOW there are better weapons, and I just can't stop myself
  • Certain Supports not being there, particularly with Gen 1.5 units and the division between Gen 1 and Gen 2. Lissa should be able to support with Lucina, they're ALWAYS aunt and niece. Also I'd like a platonic Cordelia/Chrom support, so we'd get context for her obsession with him
  • Cordelia's Chrom obsession is alright at first, but make me hate her when she keeps it up even after her marriage

My beloved Seisen:

- The maps size being unforgiving to unmounted unit (some of my favorite units being or starting unmounted)

- The game balance

- Ishtar being unplayable

- Characters leaving

Losing the gen 1 chars (even though it makes sense story-wise)

Edited by Sartek

Gaiden:

-The game is too damn slow. Thankfully, Throttle on VirtualNES is a thing

-Rudolf is easily the stupidest antagonist in the whole series. And yet somehow, his plan actually fucking works

Rudolf is better than 90% of FE villains then because his plan ACTUALLY FUCKING WORKS

Radiant Dawn:

• Recruiting Stefan is just as dumb as it was back in PoR
  • Support System was ass
  • THEY BROUGHT BACK THE SHITTY BRIDGE CHAPTER
  • Dawn Brigade has a difficult time gathering EXP and resources, rendering some of them flat out unusable.
  • Some units suffer from poor availibility (RIP Tormod)
  • Sephiran's recruitment standards (would've been nice to have a little hint)