BrightBow

Well, the wait is almost over.

It's almost 10 years but Star Fox will finally be back at the end of this very week. I know the title is quite controversial but is anyone else as hyped towards the game as I am?

I'm sure my enjoyment of the game will heavily depend on nostalgia but nevertheless I am really looking forward to the Arwing's ability to transform, how you will be able to quickly change your style on the fly to suit the situation, as well as being able to infiltrate ships and bases. I loved that stuff in Star Fox 2 so I am confident that it will feel that much better in this game. It really looks like the game is basically going to be everything that I could want from a Star Fox game.

The only thing that dims my excitement a little is that the game has content that is locked behind a paywall. It's cool stuff but definitely not worth the 15 bucks that an Amiibo would cost. But what else is new? These days, it's not a Nintendo game without that kind of stuff.

Star Fox Guard also looks very interesting. I hope it doesn't get unnecessary crap because of Slippy's infamy... or the infamy of a certain horror game franchise, as the case may be. But I am a little worried about it since I was never any good at Tower Defense games.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elieson: man
Elieson: rough star fox reviews out the door
Refa: what's wrong w/it tho
Controlls are hard to get used to
and the game isn't that long
so by the time you adjust, it's done
levels can be replayed mid-story
getting all routes on a singular run just means you have to replay less levels tho
drops replayability because it's no longer an ironman run to get to fucking Solar
the controls take that long to adjust to
it's basically, too complex to adjust to
the 100% medals are somewhat cheap to get
like one that only appears when you walk into the box that it's in
you can't see it if you're one step out of the box because it doesn't appear until you walk into it, for instance
reviewers are basically saying
you can almost 100% the game by the time all of the different control schema switches become comfortable to you
more of an issue with the controls tho
and by then there's not much to replay it for since you've "100%'d" the game
then the length
i mean
it's 64 length
same level count
artificial longevity through allowing replays of the same level
like the 64 version had the same thing but 1; it was harder to get the full Hard ending
and 2; with a flub, you genuinely loose time
idk i'd have to try it for mself but i see the concerns here
it's too easy to 100% the game and too short to master the controls
and the controls are the highlight of the game
that's the shortest tl;dr i've gathered from the various reviews i've scoped out
so it looks like fun but to me it'd be a rental probably
or bum it from a friend when they get bored of it
kind of game

tl;dr this is my review of the 6-7 reviews i've read/watched so far of the game. not sure what to expect.

Music + Co-Op Play Throwbacks + Innovative controls + 60FPS + graphics + voiceacting + it's fucking starfox 64 on 'roids and is therefore impossible to be bad make it basically a good game but the flaws above make it look like it won't ever be a great game.

btw Co-Op is where one player shoots via Gamepad while the other flies via Controller (Wii U Pro Controller was the example given...dunno if GC Controller will work). To me, this looks astounding and is going to be a huge factor in me buying vs borrowing/renting the game. Jet Force Gemini had this sort of thing and it was the best ever with Floyd and my best friend and I sunk hundreds of hours into the game just because of this.

Edited by Elieson

I highly recommend checking out GameXplain's review of Star Fox Zero, they address the game's positives and negatives in a really balanced manner.

It seems the biggest issue is getting the controls down, but it's supposed to be really rewarding once you get it. Still undecided on whether or not I will get the game.

Game came in the post yesterday sans Guard, controls are really weird at first, you eventually begin to get used to them.

There's a huge amount of throwbacks to 64 which are nice. So far I haven't seen a full 4 on 4 dog fight with Star Wolf in any of the levels in the route I played.

Once/if you can get used to the controls my biggest gripes were the Gyrowing/stealth section being slow and dull, and the BGM won't play on the gamepad, so you have to be using the TV as well, which helps a lot, especially for targeting/finding where the last member of Star Wolf is etc. but still a pain when the tv is in use.

Also if there's anything else people want to know that can't wait two days, ask and I'll get back to you after work tomorrow

Edited by Mikethfc

Will be getting the game when I can, but financial issues are cropping up so I'll likely have to wait.

Edited by Jedi

I played the pax demo and at a local mall and personally I never had a single problem with the controls at all.

If you have played Splatoon, you should have no problems whatsoever using it.

The issue I saw many people do during my observation of other players is that they moved their gamepads too much. You only need to tilt it slightly to aim and you can re-calibrate it immediately with the Y button. This is the same situation with Skyward Sword where it's more of a GIt Gud situation than the game's fault.

@Elieson: So the game has bad controls and short length? I don't mind length if it's infinitely replayable, but controls HAVE to be good and intuitive.

Thats what reviewer standard criticism seems to be. Im sure it isnt thatbhard to get used to, but complaints from Polygon, IGN and GameXplain among others all cite controls and replayability as concerns.

The controls seem fine to me, although I haven't gotten to play the Landmaster yet. But they are really complex because of the two screens and the motion controls. And the button mapping is completely different from SF64 which I am sure we have deeply internalized over the years. Doesn't exactly help that all the vehicles are very different too, unlike in SF64.

Personally I feel that I have a good grip of the controls already but I probably have a significant advantage due to my experience with Star Fox 2. I think the complexity of the controls paired with the very fast pace of the game has a good chance to spoil the first few hours of the game for a lot of people, so the varied review scores don't surprise me.

Anyway, I am very happy with the game so far. Although I fear that I will treat the Gyrowing during replays. Based on Zoness, I would say that it's sections suffer from Werehog syndrome. Everything else feels great.

Edited by BrightBow

Game came in the post yesterday sans Guard, controls are really weird at first, you eventually begin to get used to them.

There's a huge amount of throwbacks to 64 which are nice. So far I haven't seen a full 4 on 4 dog fight with Star Wolf in any of the levels in the route I played.

Once/if you can get used to the controls my biggest gripes were the Gyrowing/stealth section being slow and dull, and the BGM won't play on the gamepad, so you have to be using the TV as well, which helps a lot, especially for targeting/finding where the last member of Star Wolf is etc. but still a pain when the tv is in use.

You can use headphones to get all the audio through the Gamepad.

BrightBow, are you gonna write a review for it?

I don't think I will. I mean, I have never done something like that.

Edit: Alright, just saw the end credits for the first time. What a ride. I am kinda worn out now. Guess that's it with Starfox for today. I'm not if there is a place for a series about a bunch of animal people in space in this day and age. But at least on my part, I am really glad that this game was made.

Edited by BrightBow

You can use headphones to get all the audio through the Gamepad.

I don't think I will. I mean, I have never done something like that.

Edit: Alright, just saw the end credits for the first time. What a ride. I am kinda worn out now. Guess that's it with Starfox for today. I'm not if there is a place for a series about a bunch of animal people in space in this day and age. But at least on my part, I am really glad that this game was made.

That explains why I heard Katt's theme but Omega was empty.

Incidentally, which route did you end up going?

That explains why I heard Katt's theme but Omega was empty.

Incidentally, which route did you end up going?

[spoiler=The route that I took. A little bit of a spoiler.]Corneria - Sector Alpha - Area 3 - Zoness - Sector Sigma - Titania - Sector Gamma - Fichina - Sector Omega - Corneria 2 - Venom

Edit: I thought that your route on the first playthrough was set in stone. But considering that the game differentiates between Mission Accomplished and Mission Completed and my route varies in color, maybe it is possible.

Edit2: Okay, I just took a quick flight through Corneria again and defeated the boss at the tower by destroying it's turrets instead of flying into it and I still ended up in Sector Alpha. So I guess that means that the only way to change the route is to use the portals.

Edited by BrightBow

BrightBow, are you gonna write a review for it?

I'm not BrightBow, but I'll have the unique qualifier of not having played the original.

So since I'm off to Gamestop for something else, I'll see if there's a copy of this floating around. Don't expect anything from me until the weekend, though.

EDIT: Preorder = get.

Edited by eclipse

It has been confirmed that the Amiibo unlockable content can be unlocked without the amiibo. You just need to get all the collectibles. So many reviewers that said that 100% completion doesn't give you anything is false.

The amiibos just act as a key to get it faster.

Edited by kingddd

I just did my first attempt at the Arcade mode and... well, it's a little to hardcore for me. You don't have any lives. You just get to retry if you have collected 3 gold rings. You loose them when you die. And if you die again before collecting 3 more, it's all the way back to the beginning. That damn Gigarilla...

Also, I would like to note that the Chicken Walker flapping it's little wings while falling or during hacking has to be the most adorable thing ever.

Edited by BrightBow

I think I'm better off grabbing Star Fox 64 on the Wii Virtual Console instead.

Everything I'm reading about this game tells me that it's functionally SF64 HD (the dialogue is transferred over verbatim for the most part) and I don't have to worry about the shitty controls or paying 80 dollars for it (thanks Canada...).

Okay, so I just got the game a couple minutes ago and...

does anybody know how to turn on the voices?

No one seems to be talking; they say stuff, but there's no voice acting

Radio voices only speak through the gamepad. They don't making any sound on the TV.

Edited by kingddd

I went through TWO HOURS of updating the Wii U and cannibalizing my precious Wii JUST to play through a bit of this game. Made it through the little ditty you get as soon as you boot the game, and tried a training level.

It's a lot to take in at first, and I'm in no shape for it to sink in. However, it looks like it'll be a hell of a lot of fun, once you get the controls down-pat. Left side is for steering and targeting, right side is for acceleration and shooting stuff, gamepad tilt is for aim. I'm miffed that I can't invert the X-axis, but such is life.

My first blind playthrough.

Star Fox 0 Impressions

I have played about 3 hours of the game and I can say this is my favourite Star Fox game to be released in years. Better than Assault, Command and definitely an equivalent to Star Fox 64.

Lets get this out of the way, the controls are by no means perfect but they work very well for this game and the changes imo are for the better. It took me only about 2 mins to get used to it but that’s because I played a lot of Star Fox 64 back in the day so it wasn’t difficult to adapt at all. There are two settings to the motion controller settings. Motion Controls on 24/7, Motion Controls on only when you’re shooting or charging your lasers. I highly recommend the latter option the most because this is the one that I used for my entire playthrough and it definitely feels more Star Fox 64 style of gameplay and the motion controls will not be intrusive at all because of it. This option makes it so that you only need to tilt or tweak it slightly while aiming and this helps makes precision aiming that much easier than a full free reign motion control setting.

In terms of the other controls, the right stick is now your arwing maneuverability. So if you want to do barrel rolls, leans, loops/somersaults, 180 degree turns this is what you use. The only issue with the right stick is that you may accidentally do a maneuver that you didn’t want to use since it is a stick but it overall feels more natural to boost and brake with this system. Shotting with the ZR works and the burst fire is now more prolonged compared to the 64 so you don’t need to constantly press the ZR button to do rapid fires. You just need to time it and calculate the duration between each bursts.

Gameplay wise, it is for most part on-rail with all range mode star fox assault style missions. You will be in different phases where you go from on rails, to all range in a landmaster, to gyrowing and chickenwalker star fox 2 style of gameplay. The walker straffing is a bit clunky and a bit slow but it’s meant for small area precisions. The gyrowing is the worst of the gameplay style but I honestly enjoyed the explorative aspects of it and gave a nice change of pace when crazy shooting action to exploration puzzle solving style. Luckily these missions don’t appear often. Maybe 1 or 2 at most. But overall, most of the vehicles in this game get equivalent proportion and balance time between one and the other. The arwing missions are still the best in this game with lots of cinematic camera angles that make dogfights a lot more exciting to witness and see instead of seeing the same arwing moving left and right everytime. Star Wolf fights are definitely the best in this game compared to the 64 battles. Therefore making the level designs a lot more engaging to fight in. The bosses are tough and are one of the best in the series as they are way more of a threat in this game.

The main game is basically a level selector and you can choose to play whichever level you want anytime you like akin to the Star Fox Assault style. However once you beat the 1st main path, you can unlock Arcade mode which plays like Snes Star Fox and Star Fox 64 giving you more classic style of gameplay instead of a level selector which makes the game more fun to go back and replay for the arcade shooting feeling. It will take you about 2 to 3 hours to beat the first playthrough but the collectibles will easily add an addition 6 to 10 more hours not to mention you do unlock the amiibo contents if you don’t have it.

Difficulty wise, if you never played a star fox game, you’re definitely going to have a tough time with this game. As it demands pure precision aiming and practice with playing other shooters. Since I played tons of Star Fox 64 and many other single player campaign shooters over the years, this wasn’t all that bad. I died about 7 to 8 times on my first playthrough. They give you vague hints but they never handhold you. The hints are also not intrusive to the experience and that’s what I like about it.

Story wise, it is nothing to write home about. It’s almost 90% the exact same style of presentation but more cleaned. There is a new aspect that delves deeper into why General Pepper exiled Andross but I feel the overall explanation was just there. It didn’t help that the Star Fox 0 animated short really emphasized on this in the beginning but the overall game didn’t do a good job compositing this. Very little exposition was created for this and I felt it would have been nice to delve more deeper into this lore as Star Fox always had some nice little story backgrounds to small things even if it’s not the centre of attention.

Do I have some issues with the game? Yes I do. The radio voices are only made through the gamepad and not on the TV and there is no option to change this. Therefore you’re kind of forced to have the gamepad sound on for the majority of the time. I understand it’s for a more immersive experience but I would have preferred if you have the luxury of the higher sound quality banters and some of the arwing damage feedback to play on the TV rather than the quiet gamepad. The co-op mode only unlocks per stage if you played them. Notice I said played them. Meaning the work around to this is, pick stage exit it out and then you can select co-op together so if you have friends that want to play together this is how you get around it for first time playthrough. You don’t need to complete the stage to unlock the co-op mode for the specific stage. Why they didn’t provide the go to option immediately kind of sucks. If you’re looking for a game that has tons of content, this is not the style of game for you. This is a pure arcade shooter at its finest and if that doesn’t hold up to your taste Star Fox 0 will not be worth it for you since the game is all about replaying the same levels over and over again. The lack of multiplayer is kind of a downer but for the most part, I only play Star Fox for the single player campaign anyway. Command’s online wasn’t very good. While Assault’s multiplayer was amazing the lasting appeal only went for about a month’s flavor and was really unbalanced.

Overall, I consider this entry as one of my favourite Star Fox games to come out in years as a series veteran. The people who came out and say the controls are bad are grossly exaggerating it. The precision aiming from the motion controls works well and it creates a completely different experience for the shooting genre in general and requires effort to master it just like in the 64 days. The level designs are great and highly replayable. Very little handholding and pure adrenaline dogfights. This is the Star Fox game I have been waiting since 1997 and I will say as a fan, you really don’t want to miss this game out.